New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Arcane focus questions...

So we've begun a new campaign (different dm for this one to anyone who's followed my previous threads) and this dm is saying that we'll be using the material components for spellcasting (we've ignored them in other campaigns).

Because of this, I want to use an arcane focus as it seems better and more versatile than a component pouch, but there's a few questions to understand how to use an AF best:

1. How/can it work with spells that consume the material component(s)? If so, do I lose the AF in the process?

2. Will it cover ALL components? are there any restrictions on types of components it can't replace?

3. Can I have more than one in case I lose one (say I carry 2 of them so I have a backup one just in case)?

4. Is there anything I should know about using them that I might be missing? (any special rules, etc.)
    Last edited by samcifer; 2019-11-18 at 02:37 PM.
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Arcane focus questions...

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    So we've begun a new campaign (different dm for this one to anyone who's followed my previous threads) and this dm is saying that we'll be using the material components for spellcasting (we've ignored them in other campaigns).

Because of this, I want to use an arcane focus as it seems better and more versatile than a component pouch, but there's a few questions to understand how to use an AF best:

1. How/can it work with spells that consume the material component(s)? If so, do I lose the AF in the process?

2. Will it cover ALL components? are there any restrictions on types of components it can't replace?

3. Can I have more than one in case I lose one (say I carry 2 of them so I have a backup one just in case)?
    1. For spells that consume the material components and a price, usually in GP, you are required to have said components before casting the spell.

2. It will cover components that do not have a cost associated with them and that won't be consumed (e.g. Fireball uses guano and sulfur which the arcane focus can be substituted for, but Revivify requires a diamond worth x amount of GP which cannot be substituted for by the focus).

3. If you are able to find or purchase another (a component pouch works too) and carry it (Str permitting), there is no reason why you cannot. It needs to be an Arcane Focus for Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer spells; a holy symbol for Paladin and Cleric spells; a musical instrument for Bard spells.
    Last edited by Expected; 2019-11-18 at 02:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

A focus can substitute only materials components that both lack a cost and are not consumed.

If you want to cast a spell that requires a cristal worth 50 gp you can't use a focus in his place.

If you want to cast a spell that requires a hair of a hag and consumes it as part of the casting you can't use a focus in his place

If you want to cast a spell that requires 100 gp of diamond dus and consumes is as part of the casting you can't use a focus in his place.

That sayed an AF can sobstitute endlessly all other cases of material component required.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trandir View Post
    A focus can substitute only materials components that both lack a cost and are not consumed.

If you want to cast a spell that requires a cristal worth 50 gp you can't use a focus in his place.

If you want to cast a spell that requires a hair of a hag and consumes it as part of the casting you can't use a focus in his place

If you want to cast a spell that requires 100 gp of diamond dus and consumes is as part of the casting you can't use a focus in his place.

That sayed an AF can sobstitute endlessly all other cases of material component required.
    These answer both 1 and 2.
    3. You can have as many non-magical arcane focus as you want (can afford).

4. If a spell requires a somatic component but not a material component and both of your hands are occupied even if one of those hands has a spell focus in it, you cannot cast the spell.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2019-11-18 at 02:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    These answer both 1 and 2.
    3. You can have as many non-magical arcane focus as you want (can afford).

4. If a spell requires a somatic component but not a material component and both of your hands are occupied even if one of those hands has a spell focus in it, you cannot cast the spell.
    Unless you take the War Caster feat which allows you to ignore the somatic requirement for casting a spell and also has the added benefit of granting advantage for concentration saves.
    Last edited by Expected; 2019-11-18 at 02:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

4. Is there anything I should know about using them that I might be missing? (any special rules, etc.)
    1. Will not be consumed.
    2. Can only cover for components that aren't consumed and don't have a price.
    3. Technically yes, but not necessary unless you have a DM who makes frequent use of Thieves to steal your stuff.
    4. Nope!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Besides Snare, what spells have M components don't have a listed cost but are consumed?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Besides Snare, what spells have M components don't have a listed cost but are consumed?
    Protection from good evil is one
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

9. - Top - End - #9

Is there a chance the DM will not be allowing focuses? Maybe I'm reading between the lines incorrectly.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Expected View Post
    Unless you take the War Caster feat which allows you to ignore the somatic requirement for casting a spell
    It doesn't. War Caster allows you to provide the somatic component even when you're holding a weapon or a shield. You still need to provide the component to cast the spell, and it doesn't work if your hands are occupied with anything else.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Check with DM on how they handle Somatic Components and material components / focuses.

That line about being able to use the same hand to access material components / hold a focus and do the somatic gestures of a spell is one of the ongoing arguments on the forum.

To some, that means you can hold a focus the entire time you are casting a spell that uses the focus for the material component of the spell. To others, it means you do the somatic gestures and focus holding in sequence - the hand needing to be empty of even material components to form proper somatic gestures.

Not going to get into the arguments for or against either. Just find out the ruling this DM uses.