The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Will Kill for Pay: PF1E Mercenary Game (E6, Spheres)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    How fantasy vs tech are we going to run? I'm toying with a gnome tank pilot (Technician - Suit Pilot), with the Ace tradition and sniper / barrage. She would specialize in mobile artillery and siege for the team.
    More fantasy than tech, but I'm not going to say no to that. If anyone would build something like that it'd probably be a gnome, although it'll be a cobbled together mad science thing (no different to the standard technician inventions, just in terms of fluff) and will definitely get some odd looks--most people will have never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    For a companion from the Conjuration talent do you want us to follow the same rules for players and just roll here or take the 5.5 average?
    Hmm... I'll say average HP for companions. That will go for animal companions and other similar class companions as well.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Hmm... I'll say average HP for companions. That will go for animal companions and other similar class companions as well.
    Gotcha, thanks. Also, for casting traditions I'm looking at Somatic and Focus Casting with the focus being the Annals.

*edit* One other question. The Shadowstuff Armament ability allows you to create any weapon you're proficient with out of shadowstuff. It states that it has to be nonmagical but I was wondering if it could be masterwork as long as I myself would have a high enough craft bonus for the appropriate weapon type to make a masterwork version.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-11-21 at 01:35 PM.

My player profile.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ooh! Spheres of Power, E6, mercenaries; perfect for my researcher! One Cosmic Sage, in the works.

Spoiler
    Show
    Set 1:
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[5]

Set 2:
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Edit: Hmm, I was already thinking to go dwarf. Set 2 looks nice, but I would end up with a mere 16 int on a very scholarly focused wizard. I'll probably have to go with point buy then, unless I can find a way to get dwarf's FCB on a not-a-dwarf.
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2019-11-21 at 02:04 PM.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Here you go. Did I grab everything you wanted?
    Thanks!
    Khepra was the company's scout, infiltrator, and interrogator. No need for unreliable hot coals when you can posess them and read their mind outright. Her usefulness is why the company kept a Ratfolk around.
    Spoiler: Khepra the Exile
    Show

Khepra the Exile, Chaotic neutral Ratfolk Wraith 3
    HP: 14

Strength 9
    Dex 19
    Con 10
    Int 13
    Wis 10
    Cha 17

Feat and Skill Racial Traits

• Skulk: Some ratfolk can blend easily into their environments, and move with surprising grace. Ratfolk gain a +2 racial bonus on Stealth checks, and take only a –5 penalty on Stealth checks made to hide from creatures they have distracted with a Bluff check (rather than the normal –10 penalty). This racial trait replaces tinker.
    • Unnatural: Some ratfolk unnerve normal animals, and train to defend themselves against the inevitable attacks from such creatures. These ratfolk take a –4 penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks to affect creatures of the animal type, and receive a +2 dodge bonus to AC against animals. An animal’s starting attitude toward ratfolk is one step worse than normal. This racial trait replaces rodent empathy.

Offense Racial Traits

• Cornered Fury: Ratfolk can fight viciously when cut off from friends and allies. Whenever a ratfolk with this racial trait is reduced to half or fewer of his hit points, and has no conscious ally within 30 feet, he gains a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class.

Senses Racial Traits
    • Darkvision: Ratfolk can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

Wraith

Skills: 5 per level.
    Max ranks in:
    Stealth, UMD, Bluff, Craft (poison), Perception
    Proficency in Simple weapons, Scythes, Light armor
    Casting: Charisma Mid-caster
    -(mid caster progression)
    -Casting tradition
    --Somatic Casting 1
    --Magical Signs
    --Boon: Overcharge

Spell Pool: 3+class level (3)
    -Free magic talent: Darkness Sphere
    -Magic talent 1: Step Through darkness (meld)
    -Magic talent 2: Shadow Slick (blot, shadow)
    -Magic talent 3: Thick Darkness (darkness)
    -Magic talent 4: Shadow tag (blot, darkness, shadow)

Haunt path: Path of the Shadow
    Spoiler
    Show

A shadow lurks in darkness, seizing those foolish enough to enter their penumbra.
    Path Sphere: Dark
    Path Possession: Creatures within the area of a darkness created by the shadow take a -2 penalty on saves against the shadow’s possession.
    Path Skill: Stealth

Wraith Form: At 1st level, for a number of rounds per day equal to his class level plus his casting ability modifier, the wraith may gain the incorporeal subtype, with the following modifications:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -The wraith takes half damage from non-magic weapons.
    -The wraith cannot make weapon or natural weapon attacks while in wraith form unless he uses a weapon with the ghost touch special ability.
    -Effects originating from corporeal sources that do not deal damage have a 20% chance to fail against the wraith instead of the normal 50%. Force effect are not subject to this failure chance.
    -The wraith retains all worn equipment not exceeding his maximum load as well as the benefits from any magic items that grant a continuous effect, but gains no benefit from physical armor or shields.
    -The wraith uses normal movement speeds (treat moving through solid objects as ground movement).
    -When not on or in a solid or liquid, the wraith falls slowly and may glide, moving with a speed of 30 ft. with maneuverability (perfect), but falling 1 ft. for every 5 ft. traveled (unless possessing a fly speed).
    Activating this ability is a move action and ending it is a free action. You may not activate this ability if carrying a load greater than your maximum load. Should the wraith become corporeal while in a solid object, he is immediately shunted to the nearest empty space, taking 1d6 untyped damage per 5 ft. traveled.

Spoiler: Note on Incorporality
    Show
    While incorporeal, you:
    Gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to your Charisma modifier
    Take half damage from corporeal sources (except for channel energy and force effects)
    Have no natural armor
    Cannot be moved by physical effects
    Cannot move corporeal objects (preventing you from using combat maneuvers)
    Have only a visual presence and leave no trail, though you may choose to be heard
    Can pass through objects not thicker than your space
    Are immune to falling damage

Possession: See Possession section of Wraith rules.

Wraith Haunt
    Spoiler: Steal Thoughts
    Show

The wraith is intuitively aware of what actions are against his host’s nature. When possessing a creature, the wraith may spend a spell point as a standard action to read its mind, allowing him to make a single Knowledge check using its skill modifiers (even if the wraith has previously failed the same check using his own modifiers) or receive the answer to a single question that the creature would know (such as ‘Where did I leave my key?’ or ‘What is my mother’s maiden name?’).

A successful Will save negates this effect. A creature is aware of succeeding on this save, sensing the mental probing of the wraith, though not the details of the information sought. Additional uses of this ability while possessing the same creature do not allow Knowledge checks to be retried if they would not otherwise be possible to retry.

Feats:
    1: point blank shot
    3: precise shot

Equipment:

+1 Spider silk bodysuit (+3 AC, +6 max dex, -1 ACP, 10% ASF, 1850 gp), Small +1 Light Crossbow (2035 gp, 1d6 dmg, crit 19-20/x2, Range 80 ft. 4 lbs.)
    Type I Bag of holding (15 lbs./250 lbs.,30 cubic ft. 2,500 gp)
    1615gp of stuff to be determined.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2019-11-26 at 10:09 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rolling HP for my submission. He'll be posted soon.

(1d10)[8]
    (1d10)[6]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Gotcha, thanks. Also, for casting traditions I'm looking at Somatic and Focus Casting with the focus being the Annals.

*edit* One other question. The Shadowstuff Armament ability allows you to create any weapon you're proficient with out of shadowstuff. It states that it has to be nonmagical but I was wondering if it could be masterwork as long as I myself would have a high enough craft bonus for the appropriate weapon type to make a masterwork version.
    I think I will allow that, yes. I'm surprised it doesn't specify that.

And to someone who'd asked about Henshin Hero... I think I would prefer to stay away from the Gonzo classes, upon review.

7. - Top - End - #67

Ignoring any potential cohort/followers from the leadership sphere, what will the new company look like? Are we, the PCs, at the helm of a larger group of remnants or are we the only remnants?
    My posting may be slowed due to graduation and the job search.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

My work in progress:
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2063125

Mechanically he is focused on Aid other, and has some teamwork feat benefits.
    He will use inspire courage, Warleader sphere tactics, and shouts to significantly improve martial capabilities.

Fluff is a Rebel Leader turned Mercenary.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Pre-crafting of magical items (taking 10, of course)?
    Semper ludens.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Ignoring any potential cohort/followers from the leadership sphere, what will the new company look like? Are we, the PCs, at the helm of a larger group of remnants or are we the only remnants?
    You folks are it. The company's strength was at about 30 or so members, and now it's you.

Side note, I haven't decided on a name for the company. I'll probably give it an existing name, but y'all will have the option to "re-brand" as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Pre-crafting of magical items (taking 10, of course)?
    Sure, with appropriate feats and such, of course. I would prefer the spheres magical item creation rules, since we're using spheres magic.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Rolling.

Set 1:
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Set 2:
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]

Well, the top set is exactly 20pb, but with a wonky distribution. The bottom set is just worse. So point buy it is.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2019-11-22 at 12:13 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

12. - Top - End - #72

So, uh, have whatever this is.

Some kind of tactician demon revenant lawful evil... thing. This is the problem with Spheres, when I have a bizarre idea I can actually run with it.

13. - Top - End - #73

I'm really bummed. I've run into a wall on my gnomish pilot. I REALLY wanted her to use an aerial speeder, but there's no way to get the flight improvement to fit because I need the Steampower Insight for that, but also need Inventor’s Insight to get reload times down to move action for a Cannon.

Back to the drawing board.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    I'm really bummed. I've run into a wall on my gnomish pilot. I REALLY wanted her to use an aerial speeder, but there's no way to get the flight improvement to fit because I need the Steampower Insight for that, but also need Inventor’s Insight to get reload times down to move action for a Cannon.

Back to the drawing board.
    The Tech Sphere has Speed Lever which can reduce reload times.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

If we create a character with Reaper levels, how many reaper trophies can we start with? Presumably our characters would have killed at least 1 creature on their way to level 3 which they could have made into a trophy, but there aren't really any rules to adjudicate that.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Without further ado I present Mattis, the loveable half-orc mercenary. He loves what he does, has no identity crisis where he thinks he is the hero, and is genuinely easy to get along with. He loves play dices, cards and any other game of chance, telling tall tells and stories, drinking, fighting, and fornicating.

I will convert him to mythweavers as time permits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mattis
    Male half-orc ranger (sentinel) 3 (Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Intrigue 42)
    N Medium humanoid (human, orc)
    Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +9 (+13 to notice memorized targets in disguise or in a crowd)
    --------------------
    Defense
    --------------------
    AC 18, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+6 armor, +2 Dex)
    hp 24 (3d10)
    Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
    --------------------
    Offense
    --------------------
    Speed 30 ft. (20 ft. in armor)
    Melee mwk greatsword +8 (2d6+6/19-20) or
    . . unarmed strike +7 (1d3+4 nonlethal)
    Ranged darkwood composite longbow +6 (1d8+4/×3)
    Special Attacks combat style (archery), favored enemy (humans +2)
    --------------------
    Statistics
    --------------------
    Str 18, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 13
    Base Atk +3; CMB +7; CMD 19
    Feats Endurance, Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack, Precise Shot
    Traits for the money, world traveler
    Skills Acrobatics -1 (-5 to jump), Appraise +7, Bluff +1 (+3 to haggle prices or negotiate payment; increases to +4 if you are in a position of military or economic power over your target), Climb +8, Diplomacy +8 (+10 to haggle prices or negotiate payment; increases to +4 if you are in a position of military or economic power over your target), Handle Animal +5, Intimidate +13 (+15 to haggle prices or negotiate payment; increases to +4 if you are in a position of military or economic power over your target), Knowledge (geography) +6, Knowledge (nature) +5, Perception +9 (+13 to notice memorized targets in disguise or in a crowd), Profession (gambler) +5, Stealth +5, Survival +7 (+9 to avoid becoming lost), Swim +5; Racial Modifiers +2 Intimidate, +2 Perception
    Languages Common, Orc
    SQ favored terrain (forest +2), mugshot, orc blood, track +1
    Combat Gear wand of cure light wounds, acid, alchemist's fire; Other Gear mwk agile breastplate[APG], darkwood composite longbow (+4 Str), mwk greatsword, absinthe (per bottle)[UE], average lock, bedroll, belt pouch, belt pouch, belt pouch, belt pouch, belt pouch, canteen[UE], cards[UE], chalk, compass[APG], dice[UE], flint and steel, folding shovel[UE], grappling arrow[UE], grappling arrow[UE], grappling arrow[UE], grappling arrow[UE], grappling arrow[UE], grappling hook, marked cards[APG], masterwork backpack[APG], mirror, mwk manacles, orc trail rations[UE] (7), sack, sealing wax, sewing needle, signal horn[APG], silk rope (100 ft.), soap, superior loaded dice[APG], twine (50')[APG], waterproof bag[UE], waterskin, whetstone, winter blanket, 191 gp, 5 cp
    --------------------
    Special Abilities
    --------------------
    Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
    Endurance +4 to a variety of fort saves, skill and ability checks. Sleep in L/M armor with no fatigue.
    Favored Enemy (Humans +2) (Ex) +2 to rolls vs. humans foes.
    Favored Terrain (Forest +2) (Ex) +2 to rolls when in forest terrain.
    Mugshot (0/1 targets memorized) Memorize likeness over 1 min, +4 Perception to foil their disguise or spot them.
    Orc Blood Half-orcs count as both humans and orcs for any effect related to race.
    Power Attack -1/+2 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
    Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into melee.
    Track +1 Add the listed bonus to Survival checks made to track.
    --------------------
    Background:
    Mattis is a warrior. A charmer. A gambler. A Jack of All Trades. Mattis is not, however, a hero. Nor is he a bad guy. It just that, Mattis learned early on, that the best way to make powerful enemies, is by doing good things, sticking your nose places it has no business to be. That is, unless you are getting paid to put it there.

Mattis had been with the company about 8 months before it all went to hell. He had been with another company before that, and another before that, and anoth... well you get the idea. Sometimes the company was just inept and he cut his losses. Other times the pay wasn't what it should be, and others he just decided it was time for a change. With his skill set, Mattis never has trouble finding a new outfit. But for once, he would like to be one of the ones making the decisions.

It seems that fate had decided for him. After the most recent company failure, it is painfully obvious that a more company group needs to be in charge. And there is no one in the world Mattis finds more competent than himself.

Personality:
    Mattis is friendly, and confident. Sometimes a bit too confident. Certainly the kind of confidence that comes natural to someone who has been a mercenary for a while. He enjoys telling jokes and playing cards, dices, and other games of chance. But Mattis isn't all sunshine and rainbows. When he flips the switch, he is an intimidating warrior with a skill set that makes him a nightmare for those he has been paid to find, catch, or kill.

Description:
    The half-orc is a tall, strong, and agile with a body chiseled as if from granite. He carries a greatsword and a powerful bow, while wearing a breastplate so that he may keep his speed and movement. He keeps his hair stylishly cut short, with a well trimmed beard of medium length. He has many small scars, and a few larger ones across his body, arms, and even face, but they only seem to add to his charisma and charm.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
    Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have so many ideas! I can't decide!

Blacksmith/Iron Chef for the party maintenance guy/chef?
    Technician for the mad scientist/sniper?
    Temporal Trapper Ranger for the scout?
    Dimensional Defender Sentinel for the fun of using Thunder and Fang, teleporting around and smashing people with a hammer?
    SO MANY CHOICES!

I think I might lean into the Technician and see how that works for a switch hitter type character. Maybe design a robot or something. Snag guns from the martial tradition then make a railgun and a tricked out suit of light armor to start, pick up mechanical insight later, then make an intelligent suit of armor to rush into a fight and save people.
    Last edited by z3r0gamer; 2019-11-22 at 02:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can I get a plausibility check on the following general concept?

The character comes from a Dithmarshen style peasant republic somewhere in an extremely inconvenient borderland of the empire, where terrain factors and the locals' ability to play lords against eachother have secured them de-facto independence for at least most of a century. However, while *sort of* separate from Ostmark, the Sinuite church still operates there, and actually has a significant hand in the management of local affairs. The character is either a Sinuite priest or other church functionary from the area.

Recently (as in a few/several years back) a local lord has gained the military resources and diplomatic wherewithal to actually go out and subdue these people, and so they have, despite fierce resistance from the locals. The Sinuite church, which has enough legitimacy to kind of bat against the lord has tried to soften the blow of becoming a feudal province, but the local church chapter also actively helped the resistance and spirited away prominent local fighters (such as my character).

Since then, he awaits a more convenient season to depose this lord and re-establish the peasants' republic.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Klaut Horsten, company cook and smith

Still a work in progress. Klaut is a thoroughly disgusting man, greasy, long-fingered, but oh so very useful. If he can be found and stuffed into his armor before a fight, he is very solid.
    Semper ludens.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Hit points: [roll]2d10r1[/roll]
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

hit points: (1d10)[1], (1d10)[6], and if a reroll is needed (1d10)[3]
    Semper ludens.

22. - Top - End - #82

Rolling for HP: (1d8)[7] (1d8)[7]
    The just in case rerolls: (1d8)[6] (1d8)[1]

23. - Top - End - #83

AssassinGuy

I'm going to go ahead and declare Andreas completed. I have a few hundred gp left but I don't feel a burning desire to spend it.

Spoiler: Immortality, of a sort
    Show

Andreas Voigt
    Lawful Neutral Tiefling Hedgewitch

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Andreas is a man of middling height and build, the only noteworthy elements of his appearence being the horns and reddish, leathery skin typical of a Tiefling and his golden glowing eyes that flash when he chennels his magic.
    Otherwise, his appearence is typical of a mercenary. He bears several scars across his body and dresses in sturdy but worn clothing under a set of well made and maintained chain mail. The only ornament he wears is a simple adamantine ring on his right hand that belonged to his adoptive father.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Andreas is a company man through and through. He believes ethics as a mercenary largely come down to taking contracts that are good for the company and honoring a contract as written as long as the client pays as agreed.

Personally, Andreas is calm, confident, and kinder than some might expect from a lifelong mercenary. He's lost enough people he cares about to know that life is hard enough without adding to it though unnecessary hatred or cruelty. He struggles at times with some of the realities of mercenary work and the people attracted to it, but the company is family and you don't speak ill of family.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Andreas was born to members of a cult operating in the northeastern city of Lutven. A contingent of the company under the command of Quoran Voigt, the Halfling officer of the company's scouts, was assigned to clear them out. Most of the cultists were killed with some managing to escape. Andreas was left behind and was taken in by Quoran out of pity for the infant.

The life of a mercenary is ill-suited to raising children though, and Andreas spent large portions of his childhood being saddled on to one company member or another. Some of Andreas's earliest memories are of the excitement he would feel upon his adoptive father's return from one of his lengthy field missions.

Over time, Andreas began to enjoy his time waiting by helping out around the camp wherever he was able to and the child became something of a favorite of the less superstitious men. Sometimes he would help at the medical tents, sometimes with the smiths, and sometimes, his favorite, with Agrip, the elderly Gnomish mage and Annalist. It was Agrip who taught Andreas to harness his magical talents. More importantly though, he infected Andreas with his love of history and his respect for the importance of the Annals. One memory Andreas holds dearly is of Agrip working through the night after a major engagement learning as well as he could how every soldier lost had died to record them in the Annals. When Andreas grew tired and complained about the task Agrip sat him down and taught him that mercenaries like them usually had no past, no future, and no family beyond the company itself. When they died there would be no children to carry on their memories. He explained that maintaining the Annals was the most important service he could provide them. It was, he said, immortality of a sort, the only way most of them could ever reach beyond death. That was the moment Andreas truly became a member of the company even though it was years before he had grown up enough to begin military training under his father.

All of this was decades ago though, and there are almost no members of the company alive today who were even born then, as mercenaries tend not to live long lives. His father died during a scouting mission not long after Andreas became an adult and he helped recover his body and write his entry in the Annals. Andreas became the new Annalist after Agrip passed away and carries on his devotion to the memory of all those of the company lost over the many years since then. He's seen generations of recruits join, live, and die and has recorded their triumphs and losses in the Annals. As a surgeon he's personally been there at the end for many of them and has listened to their stories. Even those who have kept their lives before joining the company intensely private often feel a desire to leave behind some kind of proof of their lives at the end. He's had to develop a more philosophical approach to life and death and has even gotten into the habit of saying a prayer to Kiriel whenever recording a death in the Annals, trying to trust that those who pass away do so because it is their right time and not because he failed them.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-11-23 at 01:36 PM.

My player profile.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    If we create a character with Reaper levels, how many reaper trophies can we start with? Presumably our characters would have killed at least 1 creature on their way to level 3 which they could have made into a trophy, but there aren't really any rules to adjudicate that.
    Hm... I'll say you get humanoid (human) (you are part of a mercenary company, after all, and a large portion of your opponents will be human) plus two other types to start.

Not asked but probably still useful--for the Reaper cults, purely in terms of the ability to always select a creature of the given type as your favored prey, I'd think undead would be the most helpful, followed by aberration. Any of the four have a shot to show up at some point, though, and again--I'm only basing it on you automatically getting that favored prey option, not any of the other abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Can I get a plausibility check on the following general concept?

The character comes from a Dithmarshen style peasant republic somewhere in an extremely inconvenient borderland of the empire, where terrain factors and the locals' ability to play lords against eachother have secured them de-facto independence for at least most of a century. However, while *sort of* separate from Ostmark, the Sinuite church still operates there, and actually has a significant hand in the management of local affairs. The character is either a Sinuite priest or other church functionary from the area.

Recently (as in a few/several years back) a local lord has gained the military resources and diplomatic wherewithal to actually go out and subdue these people, and so they have, despite fierce resistance from the locals. The Sinuite church, which has enough legitimacy to kind of bat against the lord has tried to soften the blow of becoming a feudal province, but the local church chapter also actively helped the resistance and spirited away prominent local fighters (such as my character).

Since then, he awaits a more convenient season to depose this lord and re-establish the peasants' republic.
    That is absolutely a valid concept. Very like the Church of Sinue to play both sides against the middle, as it were.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

First attempt at a SoP character- Khepra was the company's scout, infiltrator, and interrogator. No need for unreliable hot coals when you can posess them and read their mind outright. Her usefulness is why the company kept a Ratfolk around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler: Work in progress- Khepra the Exile
    Show

Khepra the Exile, Chaotic neutral Ratfolk Wraith 3

Strength 9
    Dex 19
    Con 10
    Int 13
    Wis 10
    Cha 17
    [*]Type: Ratfolk are humanoids with the ratfolk subtype. [*]Size: Ratfolk are Small and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. [*]Speed (Slow): Ratfolk have a base speed of 20 ft. [*]Languages: Ratfolk begin play speaking Common. Ratfolk with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Draconic, Dwarven, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Orc, and Undercommon. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages. [/LIST]
    Feat and Skill Racial Traits

• Skulk: Some ratfolk can blend easily into their environments, and move with surprising grace. Ratfolk gain a +2 racial bonus on Stealth checks, and take only a –5 penalty on Stealth checks made to hide from creatures they have distracted with a Bluff check (rather than the normal –10 penalty). This racial trait replaces tinker.
    • Unnatural: Some ratfolk unnerve normal animals, and train to defend themselves against the inevitable attacks from such creatures. These ratfolk take a –4 penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks to affect creatures of the animal type, and receive a +2 dodge bonus to AC against animals. An animal’s starting attitude toward ratfolk is one step worse than normal. This racial trait replaces rodent empathy.

Offense Racial Traits

• Cornered Fury: Ratfolk can fight viciously when cut off from friends and allies. Whenever a ratfolk with this racial trait is reduced to half or fewer of his hit points, and has no conscious ally within 30 feet, he gains a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class.

Senses Racial Traits
    • Darkvision: Ratfolk can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

Wraith
    Proficency in Simple weapons, Scythes, Light armor
    Casting: Charisma Mid-caster
    -(mid caster progression)
    -Casting tradition

Spell Pool: 3+class level (3)
    -Free magic talent: Darkness Sphere
    -Magic talent 1: Step Through darkness (meld)
    -Magic talent 2: Shadow Slick (blot, shadow)
    -Magic talent 3: Thick Darkness (darkness)
    -Magic talent 4: Shadow tag (blot, darkness, shadow)

Haunt path: Path of the Shadow
    Spoiler
    Show

A shadow lurks in darkness, seizing those foolish enough to enter their penumbra.
    Path Sphere: Dark
    Path Possession: Creatures within the area of a darkness created by the shadow take a -2 penalty on saves against the shadow’s possession.
    Path Skill: Stealth

Wraith Form: At 1st level, for a number of rounds per day equal to his class level plus his casting ability modifier, the wraith may gain the incorporeal subtype, with the following modifications:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -The wraith takes half damage from non-magic weapons.
    -The wraith cannot make weapon or natural weapon attacks while in wraith form unless he uses a weapon with the ghost touch special ability.
    -Effects originating from corporeal sources that do not deal damage have a 20% chance to fail against the wraith instead of the normal 50%. Force effect are not subject to this failure chance.
    -The wraith retains all worn equipment not exceeding his maximum load as well as the benefits from any magic items that grant a continuous effect, but gains no benefit from physical armor or shields.
    -The wraith uses normal movement speeds (treat moving through solid objects as ground movement).
    -When not on or in a solid or liquid, the wraith falls slowly and may glide, moving with a speed of 30 ft. with maneuverability (perfect), but falling 1 ft. for every 5 ft. traveled (unless possessing a fly speed).
    Activating this ability is a move action and ending it is a free action. You may not activate this ability if carrying a load greater than your maximum load. Should the wraith become corporeal while in a solid object, he is immediately shunted to the nearest empty space, taking 1d6 untyped damage per 5 ft. traveled.

Spoiler: Note on Incorporality
    Show
    While incorporeal, you:
    Gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to your Charisma modifier
    Take half damage from corporeal sources (except for channel energy and force effects)
    Have no natural armor
    Cannot be moved by physical effects
    Cannot move corporeal objects (preventing you from using combat maneuvers)
    Have only a visual presence and leave no trail, though you may choose to be heard
    Can pass through objects not thicker than your space
    Are immune to falling damage

Possession: See Possession section of Wraith rules.

Wraith Haunt
    Spoiler: Steal Thoughts
    Show

The wraith is intuitively aware of what actions are against his host’s nature. When possessing a creature, the wraith may spend a spell point as a standard action to read its mind, allowing him to make a single Knowledge check using its skill modifiers (even if the wraith has previously failed the same check using his own modifiers) or receive the answer to a single question that the creature would know (such as ‘Where did I leave my key?’ or ‘What is my mother’s maiden name?’).

A successful Will save negates this effect. A creature is aware of succeeding on this save, sensing the mental probing of the wraith, though not the details of the information sought. Additional uses of this ability while possessing the same creature do not allow Knowledge checks to be retried if they would not otherwise be possible to retry.

Feats:
    1: Deadly Aim
    3: Arcane Armor training

Equipment:

+1 Spider silk bodysuit (+3 AC, +6 max dex, -1 ACP, 10% ASF, 1850 gp), Small +1 Light Crossbow (2035 gp, 1d6 dmg, crit 19-20/x2, Range 80 ft. 4 lbs.)
    Type I Bag of holding (15 lbs./250 lbs.,30 cubic ft. 2,500 gp)
    1615gp of stuff to be determined.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

OK, I think I'm fairly certain I will make a battlefield tinker armiger (... yeah I mostly just wanted to make a gunblade). I'm thinking of using the Mixed Duelist tradition to make this work, if that's okay?

HP rolls: (1d10)[2] (1d10)[4]

27. - Top - End - #87

Crunch pretty much complete, freeing me up to focus on describing the fluff. I've got a pretty good idea of this character already, I just need to communicate it.

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: (1d6)[6], (1d6)[6]
    Reroll if needed: (1d6)[4]
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Hm... I'll say you get humanoid (human) (you are part of a mercenary company, after all, and a large portion of your opponents will be human) plus two other types to start.

Not asked but probably still useful--for the Reaper cults, purely in terms of the ability to always select a creature of the given type as your favored prey, I'd think undead would be the most helpful, followed by aberration.
    Neat. I'll probably go with undead and aberration, then, for simplicity's sake, and slap the Magekiller cult replacement on top.

I was thinking of submitting a morose fellow, looking sort of like this at least on the battlefield, someone who spent a lot of his early life as a foot soldier for a fey cult before it was violently broken up by Ramuan crusaders, who has been slowly but steadily adjusting to life as a free man while earning his coin the only way he knows how. As the sole survivor of the community that raised him basically from birth, he's no stranger to grief and having to fight through it to survive. Only new twist here is that in retrospect the cultists had it coming while the mercenaries who died recently were good men, but when push comes to shove that doesn't matter too much... family is family, whatever the world thinks of it.

I started scribbling up a character sheet including a picture of his face outside the armor; will return to finish it later.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    OK, I think I'm fairly certain I will make a battlefield tinker armiger (... yeah I mostly just wanted to make a gunblade). I'm thinking of using the Mixed Duelist tradition to make this work, if that's okay?
    Mixed Duelist looks good to me!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

In case I wasnt clear, I'm an inexperienced pathfinder player looking for feedback for my character.