The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Tribe! (reboot) (be a goblin) (see the world) (stab it in the groin)

This is a reboot of an earlier attempt at the same game.

I made an error, originally, in not being specific enough about the style of game and play we're looking at. So I'll spell it out clearly this time:

The Tribe is an open world game with story elements. As such, each character and player should aim to have some sort of personal interest, project or ambition to pursue. In other words, it is fairly vital for each goblin to have something to do between missions. This will keep things interesting, and give each character a personal stake - beyond getting XP and so on.

For this reason, Skills are vital. You don't precisely need skills for a personal project, but they do make it easier (for your poor, dedicated GM, for one thing). But it's important to note that all skills are equal. Intimidate - or Climb, even - will be as useful to a character as Diplomacy or Alchemy or whatever. We'll just need to be creative with the uses.

Spoiler: The basic premise
    Show

You run a goblin tribe that's recently moved to a new area. You will have goblins, and a list of various ressources at your disposal. You will also have what I call Extras. An Extra is anything that will boost your abilities or the abilities of the tribe in certain circumstances. One example of an Extra is wolves. The tribe will start with 10 riding wolves.

A note on the goblins of the tribe: They can be a throwaway ressource. It is entirely legal to toss goblin minions at a problem until it goes away. Goblins regenerate over time. Not on the individual level, of course, individual goblins die patheticallyt - but the tribe replenishes at a rate of 10 goblins a week. Growth isn't the only factor, however. Some attrition may also be seen.

You start with 100 goblins, and get more every week.

Spoiler: A Bit Of Background
    Show

On one of his frequent major mushroom binges, the tribe shaman had a vision: The Mountain is going to explode!

Countless ages ago, the tribe was pushed north by stronger enemies, forced into the frozen wastelands. And just as they were about to die from starvation and exposure, they came upon The Mountain - a magical smoking mountain among all the snow, which was nice and warm and wonderfully abundant in mushrooms and other stuff.

Surely, a blessing from Great Maglubiyet himself!

Now, however, that may be at an end. The shaman staggered about the cave, ranting about fiery doom - then fell asleep, and when he'd slept off the mushroom haze, he had forgot all about it. As is often the case.

But a faction of the tribe decided to heed his words regardless. These 100 goblins have set out, going south with supplies, 10 wolves - and very little else. Good luck.

Spoiler: The World!
    Show

You have moved south into a highland valley populated - among others - by humans. It's something on the order of 50 miles wide by 100 miles deep. It is, in other words, quite a sizeable tract of land. It's all but covered in forest, and crisscrossed by streams and rivers. You know next to nothing about the area - unless you play a bard and roll well on Bardic Knowledge.

You start with a particular set of caves. There are tree individual chambers, arranged sort of --_ in three levels. The caves are open to the sky. In some ancient past, an earthquake (or whatever) opened a fissure in the rock, and flowing water carved the caves out of softer rock layers below. Thus, a stream flows down through the caves, cascading in small waterfalls along the way. The lowest cave is very wet, and home to large patches of edible fungus, moss and mold. Mmm - mold. They are not particularly defensible. Not impossible to defend, but not ideal. Mostly because anyone in control of the topside can fire down into the caves with near-impunity.

The middle cave is ideal for goblin homes, and the top cave is a confusing mess of stalags - mites and tites.

The caves are home to great numbers of annoying hand-sized spiders.

Also, the caves are quite large. You could fairly easily fit 1000 goblins in here.

Spoiler: Character Generation
    Show

The way it works is this: You play an actual goblin. As in, this guy! You may swap the stats, and you can add +4 to one, and +2 to another. Plus a class - of course. I'm good with any content you like, as long as it's either Core or SRD. I regret this harsh restriction, but I only GM material I own, and I own precious little.

You come fully equipped with ratty leather armor, a spear and a small leather shield. You needn't worry about starting gold - there are no shops, and it's a bartering economy anyways. At least for starters, trade with other groups is entirely possible.

I don't care about alignments, but play someone who can work with others. Or else! :p

Oh, someone is likely going to ask about Blues. If you pick a psionic class, you get blue skin. Blues are otherwise identical to other goblins for the purposes of this game.

Spoiler: On the subject of Goblins
    Show

Goblins have human level intelligence. You needn't play them as stupid, or particularly dirty. They may be disorganised (they tend to a chaotic alignment, after all), but that also means creative. They do have poor impulse control, and highly flexible moral standards. They are sneaky little bastards.

Other than this, I leave the details to you. Build a socio-liberal democracy or wade to the throne through rivers of the blood of rivals, I don't care.

Spoiler: House rules
    Show

I don't have a coherent list of house rules. I should have, but I don't. But I'm willing to do things that make sense, such as adding strength rather than charisma to Intimidate checks. Combining Hide and Move Silently into Stealth, and Listen and Spot into Perception.

Another thing is that I feel Fighters should get their strength bonus to counter Armor Penalties - for everything to do with weight. Having a beefy biceps doesn't make your chainmail quiet, but it does make it easier for you to carry the damn thing.

Also, I'm partial to letting Rage trigger a reroll of failed Will saves. As in, spend one Rage activation to counter .. say, a Charm Person.

Spoiler: PVP
    Show

Is allowed. But it needs to be fun for all involved. I reserve the right to institute unlikely survivals for the losing parties of PVP. And in case of any unresolved player issues, I will eventually offer adult direction. Play nice =)

Two players from the original game have offered to join up again. They will have some knowledge of the map - but I'm going to switch stuff around, so their player knowledge may be wrong, or even dangerous. Or I might not. We'll see.

Also, please post regularly, and add a subscription for the IC and OOC threads. Once they're up, that is.

Currently, the Tribe consists of:
    Hekx, wizard - played by JBE
    Skimtop, psion - played by Xenopax
    'Boss' Gitmala, bard - played by Henry
    Gestin, rogue - played by KAmber
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-11-26 at 01:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The Tribe! (reboot) (be a goblin) (see the world) (stab it in the groin)

This is Hekx from the last game but obviously reset to level 1

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1950296
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribe! (reboot) (be a goblin) (see the world) (stab it in the groin)

Okay, I am interested. Will examine later.

The only part I feel unclear about is this: is this one tribe or does each player have a tribe?
    Last edited by gac3; 2019-11-19 at 06:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    This is Hekx from the last game but obviously reset to level 1

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1950296
    Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Okay, I am interested. Will examine later.

The only part I feel unclear about is this: is this one tribe or does each player have a tribe?
    It's one tribe.

I don't want to limit things too much. I see no reason why player strife couldn't break up the tribe - if so desired. This is basically a 'do anything' game, a sandbox. Just, nothing is without price of consequence. If you tame a giant, you'll be stuck finding a way to feed it. You find a way to become chief, you'll need to worry about anyone else becoming jealous of that position. If you ... make giant poisonous spiders, you'll need to worry about their taste for goblin snacks.

In other words, I'm as much annoyance as enabler - so while you may do pretty much anything you like, you should also be ready for anything to go wrong =)

I do promise to not arbitrarily murder anyone. Fights may erupt, but they will always be winnable.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

What information do you need from prospective interest? Reading the premise and background, the first idea that comes to mind is a mushroomhead who is deeply concerned about the relative lack of mushrooms in our little forest valley (we need to keep the old ways! we don't even have a strong shaman! what if the Great Goblin Gods send us another vision of impending doom but we're all too sober to receive it?) and very interesting in getting shroom cultivation going ahead, but idk what class to use for that or anything.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    What information do you need from prospective interest? Reading the premise and background, the first idea that comes to mind is a mushroomhead who is deeply concerned about the relative lack of mushrooms in our little forest valley (we need to keep the old ways! we don't even have a strong shaman! what if the Great Goblin Gods send us another vision of impending doom but we're all too sober to receive it?) and very interesting in getting shroom cultivation going ahead, but idk what class to use for that or anything.
    That sounds like a brilliant idea. Of course shroomhead is halfway to shaman anyways. And shrooms have a plethora of applications, from medical over recreational to .. um .. well.

7. - Top - End - #7

So I was thinking about doing a druid but my main reason was to want an animal companions. So I thought maybe change to ranger. Would you allow the variant ranger prestige class (once at level 5 of course)? It seems to work better with the animal companions idea than a regular ranger and doesn't have me focusing too much on spells. It's on the SRD and if so, I'll probably build my concept around that end goal.

Edit: or maybe the druid build where you trade wild shape for some monk traits.
    Last edited by gac3; 2019-11-19 at 09:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

And here I was hoping to grab the Witch Doctor role! Curses for me coming late.

Here be Skimtop, Your favorite psion.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there a Warlord role available? Because I like the idea of playing a goblin eager to whip the rest into fighting shape as a proper army and constantly suffering brain aneurysms because goblins gonna gob.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

10. - Top - End - #10

So I was thinking about doing a druid but my main reason was to want an animal companions. So I thought maybe change to ranger. Would you allow the variant ranger prestige class (once at level 5 of course)? It seems to work better with the animal companions idea than a regular ranger and doesn't have me focusing too much on spells. It's on the SRD and if so, I'll probably build my concept around that end goal.

Edit: or maybe the druid build where you trade wild shape for some monk traits.
    As long as it's on the SRD, I have no quarrel with it. Go wild(shape)! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    And here I was hoping to grab the Witch Doctor role! Curses for me coming late.

Here be Skimtop, Your favorite psion.
    I'm not ruling out competing witch doctors, you know. But I demand shroom-fuelled drunken brawls over religious issues then =)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    Is there a Warlord role available? Because I like the idea of playing a goblin eager to whip the rest into fighting shape as a proper army and constantly suffering brain aneurysms because goblins gonna gob.
    There is if you make one.

11. - Top - End - #11

For the purposes of building our character, do we use the generic goblin at the top and just slap a class on top of it (while adjusting the abilities as said) or just use the guidelines under "goblins as characters" with the goblin warrior stats beneath it?

12. - Top - End - #12

For the purposes of building our character, do we use the generic goblin at the top and just slap a class on top of it (while adjusting the abilities as said) or just use the guidelines under "goblins as characters" with the goblin warrior stats beneath it?
    Ah, I should have been clearer on that.

You use the generic goblin. I could also have said: There are your stats (Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6). Swap them around as you please, then add a +4 and a +2.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Ah, I should have been clearer on that.

You use the generic goblin. I could also have said: There are your stats (Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6). Swap them around as you please, then add a +4 and a +2.
    So I could swap around, say, Dex and Cha, and then put a +2 or +4 on it, correct?
    -Me

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

This looks very fun. I tried to run something similar in the past but players focused too much on leveling up and magic and it stopped being "just pathetic goblins" fast.

I'll read everything more carefully and submit a sheet.

Oh, it looks like it's 3.5e. Nevermind then :)
    Last edited by Evil Pangolin; 2019-11-20 at 10:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    So I could swap around, say, Dex and Cha, and then put a +2 or +4 on it, correct?
    Yes. Swap as you like, then add +4 to one, and +2 to another. And no funny business - no adding +6 to one stat. I'm watching all of you! oO

(Actually, there's every chance I wouldn't notice - I'm really bad at double checking sheets! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Pangolin View Post
    This looks very fun. I tried to run something similar in the past but players focused too much on leveling up and magic and it stopped being "just pathetic goblins" fast.

I'll read everything more carefully and submit a sheet.

Oh, it looks like it's 3.5e. Nevermind then :)
    Oh. What's wrong with 3.5?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Nothing. I just don't like mixing systems, and I'm already on a 5e game.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

He's still gonna be taking a witch doctor-esque role but it's more Mental than Spiritual. So he can compete with the druid.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Presenting "Boss" Gitmangla, goblin bard, beacon of courage, and aspiring war leader. His aim is to organize the goblins into a proper military force, under his glorious leadership of course, and his ability to inspire his fellows to fight and die with his speeches and songs is matched only by his utter unwillingness to do that himself.
    -Me

19. - Top - End - #19

I've updated the OP to reflect the sheets entered thus far.

Also, I think I can safely say that all sheets will be included in the game - though if many are submitted, not all will be included at start. My head isn't designed for keeping track of many details.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I only GM material I own, and I own precious little.
    How about WotC web-published material like the psychic rogue?

So, 10 'new' goblins per week* seems kinda fast, verisimilitude-wise, if goblins are limited to standard sexual reproduction. I'd like my character's project to be investigating how this happens. We seem to know each goblin who wasn't here last week, so are we, like ... generating them from our collective unconscious, or something? Just so happens that the psychic rogue's class skills include Knowledge (local) and Knowledge (psionics), so they're fairly well positioned to learn about the topic. And my study might help The Tribe with practical application if I can figure out how it occurs.

* Not 10% per week, just a flat 10?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

In the last game I just assumed most of them were arriving from our previous tribe as the main source of reinforcement and replenishment. It made sense without causing these weird pseudo-meta questions.

22. - Top - End - #22

Well, yes, it can be explained in mundane ways if that's desirable. Unconsciously I was assuming that a goblin game would prefer a modicum of nonsense. Good to get that out into the open where we can look at it.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    How about WotC web-published material like the psychic rogue?
    That class looks interesting - but even so, I'd prefer if you just multiclass. I built a goblin rogue/psion once, and it works wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    So, 10 'new' goblins per week* seems kinda fast, verisimilitude-wise, if goblins are limited to standard sexual reproduction. I'd like my character's project to be investigating how this happens. We seem to know each goblin who wasn't here last week, so are we, like ... generating them from our collective unconscious, or something? Just so happens that the psychic rogue's class skills include Knowledge (local) and Knowledge (psionics), so they're fairly well positioned to learn about the topic. And my study might help The Tribe with practical application if I can figure out how it occurs.

* Not 10% per week, just a flat 10?
    The 100 goblins are to be seen as 100 battle ready warriors. There are more goblins than that around - among them, noncombatants of various sorts, and goblings (children). Some of these grow up, and from time to time more wander in from the north.

But the mechanic is there to encourage you to use the minions for what they're there for: Cannon fodder.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

I can't play a hobgoblin, can i?

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by KAmber View Post
    I can't play a hobgoblin, can i?
    That sort of breaks the established pattern.

I have toyed with the idea. There are other things on the map - I'm not going to get into what things, but let's just stick with a hobgoblin. Let's say there were a small tribe of hobbos on the map, and they could be subjugated, and added as an Extra .. would it then be possible to reroll as a hobgoblin?!

I do think the answer is no - even so. I like the idea of everyone playing, essentially, an annoying little goblin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I'm reaally interested in this setting. The idea of having a goblin tribe loose in an open world is something I've been on the lookout for a while. Over a year ago there was this recruitment thread for a Goblintown adventure but it wasn't open-world and the DM never started the game. This is the kind of game I've been hoping to play ever since.

But the interest, for me, is based on organizing a group, making decisions not regarding my character itself (which I could do without) but regarding the tribe, which is why someone else setting himself up as tribal leader without consultation with fellow players takes a lot of the enjoyment out for me.

The ideas of setting up your own governing system, having 10 wolves to do as you wish, 100 goblins to organize, etc, they no longer apply to other players because most of us won't be able to compete for control against a CHA 17 bard, any tribe-level decisions we might be able to make will rest on the whims of someone else. Which leaves the game as a normal adventure where everyone's race is Goblin.

Which is why I'd like to ask for a smallish tribe of my own elsewhere or, if that isn't a possibility, that each player be given control of the same number of goblins within the larger tribe.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgulain View Post
    I'm reaally interested in this setting. The idea of having a goblin tribe loose in an open world is something I've been on the lookout for a while. Over a year ago there was this recruitment thread for a Goblintown adventure but it wasn't open-world and the DM never started the game. This is the kind of game I've been hoping to play ever since.

But the interest, for me, is based on organizing a group, making decisions not regarding my character itself (which I could do without) but regarding the tribe, which is why someone else setting himself up as tribal leader without consultation with fellow players takes a lot of the enjoyment out for me.

The ideas of setting up your own governing system, having 10 wolves to do as you wish, 100 goblins to organize, etc, they no longer apply to other players because most of us won't be able to compete for control against a CHA 17 bard, any tribe-level decisions we might be able to make will rest on the whims of someone else. Which leaves the game as a normal adventure where everyone's race is Goblin.

Which is why I'd like to ask for a smallish tribe of my own elsewhere or, if that isn't a possibility, that each player be given control of the same number of goblins within the larger tribe.
    Well ... this is quite literally a 'do anything' game. I expect there to be some competition for being the Chief, but on the first attempt, the bard simply wound up taking charge on account of no one else having social skills. But regardless: You can run for election, or stab your way to the top, or become Grand Vizier (we all know that's the real power anyways) - or you can try to recruit a small number of goblins to wander off ... or you can convince them you're setting up a forward base, when really you're just starting a rival settlement.

Any and all ideas are good ideas - so long as you play nice. It's technically legal to murder other PC's in their sleep, but only if both parties are fine with it.

That's also the main reason for the character generation method: It takes very little time to roll another random goblin.

Dunno if that helps you make a decison though. But I'd love to have you on board =)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Iwill also that last game, even when we had a chief they never actually stopped any other players from doing what they wanted, instead sort of holding them together while other people chased their own ambitions.

Indeed, they didn't even appoint themselves chief instead being nudged towards the position by a vampire, and partially ignored once they took it. It's also woth saying that at game start the group won't have a leader. Them being the first to mention they want to try and assume the position doesn't mean they'll get it, neither do the social abilities if you can convince other PCs and powerbrokers to support you instead through RP.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

BTW: this is my interest.

30. - Top - End - #30

Get some character sheets in. We're essentially ready to go as soon as there are enough players - since I've done this once before.