The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 181 to 204 of 204
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    How would we know its Xykon?
    And not CeCe Peniston?
    Speech balloon colour?

    I almost wrote "phylactery colour" as that is the technical French name for a speech balloon. I thought that was fun considering Xykon's state.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-11-24 at 01:35 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I almost wrote "phylactery colour" as that is the technical French name for a speech ballon. I thought that was fun considering Xykon's state.
    Wait, seriously? That's hilarious, that shouldn't be true, and I can't believe it.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Wait, seriously? That's hilarious, that shouldn't be true, and I can't believe it.
    A phylactery is originally a box used to hold paper or parchment with (magical/religious) script in it. The parallel is easy to make.

    Do note it is the technical term, people generally use bulle (bubble) but I'm a pedantic ass like that.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I’m still betting against this theory based on the idea that it leaves few chances to cut back to Team Evil in the final book (I think the bet was against Peelee, how much did I bet again? I forget).
    One thousand dollars if I win, five dollars if I lose.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-24 at 02:13 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    One thousand dollars if I win, five dollars if I lose.
    What is this, meta-betting?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The MunchKING's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What is this, meta-betting?
    I believe the word is "odds".
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hroțila's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    A phylactery is originally a box used to hold paper or parchment with (magical/religious) script in it. The parallel is easy to make.

    Do note it is the technical term, people generally use bulle (bubble) but I'm a pedantic ass like that.
    Meanwhile, in Spanish it's called a sandwich and I think that's beautiful.
    ungelic is us

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Meanwhile, in Spanish it's called a sandwich and I think that's beautiful.
    *sweeps tear*
    It is, it is...
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The MunchKING's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Meanwhile, in Spanish it's called a sandwich and I think that's beautiful.
    So the Earl just owned a bunch of comics?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    One thousand dollars if I win, five dollars if I lose.
    What’s the exchange rate of dollars to quatloos and gold pieces?
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    What’s the exchange rate of dollars to quatloos and gold pieces?
    Splorch Quatloos for [#REF! ERROR: Circular dependency detected] Gold Pieces.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Actually, given the lead times needed for printing and shipping and the announced ship date of the new book, I would not be surprised if Rich already finished drawing the pages needed and is just steadily posting them until the last goes up about the time he starts sending packages. That way, he has a nice long break over the holidays to spend with his family.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hroțila's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    So the Earl just owned a bunch of comics?
    Sorry to disappoint, but no. I had to use sandwich in English, but Spanish proudly distinguishes between a sandwich (with sandwich bread) and a bocadillo (with proper bread). Speech bubbles are called bocadillos and the Earl gets no royalties whatsoever.
    ungelic is us

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but no. I had to use sandwich in English, but Spanish proudly distinguishes between a sandwich (with sandwich bread) and a bocadillo (with proper bread). Speech bubbles are called bocadillos and the Earl gets no royalties whatsoever.
    So the royalties go to el Conde de Bocadillo?

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    So the royalties go to el Conde de Bocadillo?
    He had a love affair with the Earl of Sandwich...is a fact I made up. Sandwich X Bocadillo is my new OTP.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

    * Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but no. I had to use sandwich in English, but Spanish proudly distinguishes between a sandwich (with sandwich bread) and a bocadillo (with proper bread). Speech bubbles are called bocadillos and the Earl gets no royalties whatsoever.
    And the new ranger NPC I'll be creating for the plains/desert portion of the shared world my brother and I DM will be called "El Bocadillo" - I just love it. He'll have two sidekicks, not one, and they'll be twins. (And yes, they'll tend to ride/walk on either side of him ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And the new ranger NPC I'll be creating for the plains/desert portion of the shared world my brother and I DM will be called "El Bocadillo" - I just love it. He'll have two sidekicks, not one, and they'll be twins. (And yes, they'll tend to ride/walk on either side of him ...)
    Like El Seed and the Bee Twins?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Like El Seed and the Bee Twins?
    Just what kind of corn soldier are you?

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SkinTaker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Python

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    It's the simple but perfect strips like this that make me realize how much I love you guys this comic.
    Avatar made by me by (poorly) modifying Rich's pirate captain in GIMP.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    A phylactery is originally a box used to hold paper or parchment with (magical/religious) script in it. The parallel is easy to make.

    Do note it is the technical term, people generally use bulle (bubble) but I'm a pedantic ass like that.
    I've just realized right now that indeed "phylactère" (technical french term for speech balloon), and "phylactère" (the magical object) where the same word. TIL, I guess.

    Note that it's almost the case in English too, since according to wikipedia: In art history, speech scroll (also called a banderole or phylactery) is an illustrative device denoting speech, song, or, in rarer cases, other types of sound.

    So it's just that French peoples kept the name "phylactery" even when artists stopped using scroll-like representations in favor of balloon-like representations.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lheticus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anywhere but real life.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    I've just realized right now that indeed "phylactère" (technical french term for speech balloon), and "phylactère" (the magical object) where the same word. TIL, I guess.

    Note that it's almost the case in English too, since according to wikipedia: In art history, speech scroll (also called a banderole or phylactery) is an illustrative device denoting speech, song, or, in rarer cases, other types of sound.

    So it's just that French peoples kept the name "phylactery" even when artists stopped using scroll-like representations in favor of balloon-like representations.
    Dang, this is some Really Interesting Stuff. I should read these threads more thoroughly more often.
    A genius is just a madman who succeeded. A hero's just a fool who didn't die.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    [insert sweet summer child meme here]

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In your heart.

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    I just wanted to add that bocadillo can also mean "snack" and it is a reference in speach bubbles because its usually food you can eat in one bite.

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lheticus View Post
    Dang, this is some Really Interesting Stuff. I should read these threads more thoroughly more often.
    Really, we should have a curated thread for 'interesting stuff that appeared in the discussion thread', that way we'd don't have to trawl through Star Wars and alignments.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1187 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Really, we should have a curated thread for 'interesting stuff that appeared in the discussion thread', that way we'd don't have to trawl through Star Wars and alignments.
    Second post in that thread: "I think the PosterX's Star Wars comment was pretty insightful."
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •