New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Racial Classes for 5e

Inspired by the racial paragon classes of 3.5, I wrote classes for each of the core races in 5e

Not all of them are complete, but I consider the Dwarf, Dragonborn, and the Half-Orc to be, although every class could use some more flavor/exploration features

This is what I was trying to achieve with each

Dwarf- Sturdy fighter with a strong leaning toward dwarven weapons and strategies, and no fear of those larger than themselves
    Elf- An arcane spellsword with more creative uses of their magic (missing some magic maneuvers and flavour features, but also close to done)
    Halfling- very lucky agile and sneaky guerilla combatant who interrupts enemy formations
    Human- a versatile class that can do just about anything well, but can also mix it up if they need to
    Dragonborn- a powerful battlefield presence that focuses on their elemental breath weapon
    Gnome- I have no clue. I'm completely lost here
    Half-Elf- not written down, but a very socially talented semi-skill monkey spellcaster
    Half-Orc- a simple and straightforward combat class focused on doing big damage in few attacks
    Tiefling- a lot a lot of low-power magic, as well as many alternative ways to expend spell slots
    Last edited by stewstew5; 2019-11-19 at 11:40 AM.

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Racial Classes for 5e

These are all a really neat idea to have, and though they may not follow the 5e "trend" of complete player freedom, they are very good concepts. As an idea, you could use the different subraces to make subclasses, like a mountain dwarf or a black dragonborn. Also, if these were to become full player classes, they definitely need to have more features, though the ones you have are cool already.
    "Frankly, with a million posts dedicated to arguing rules or min/max builds or discussing ways to optimally kill your players without feeling guilty, more about player/DM collaboration are appreciated."-Beeporama
    My Homebrews:
    Oath of the Sand
    Path of the Striker

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Great throwback:)
    I was working on racial subclasses for monsters recently.

Here’s a link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VGKs9V2jLekvMReMTdP_yX7PuuOBecTNc8KTmQUtVCE
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2019-11-19 at 03:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadfire182 View Post
    These are all a really neat idea to have, and though they may not follow the 5e "trend" of complete player freedom, they are very good concepts. As an idea, you could use the different subraces to make subclasses, like a mountain dwarf or a black dragonborn. Also, if these were to become full player classes, they definitely need to have more features, though the ones you have are cool already.
    the thought of subclasses did cross my mind, but I'm not writing 2-3 for every race, and very few different subraces are distinct enough to warrant/sustain different subclasses. And i agree there should be more features, but they'd be mostly flavour and exploration and less directly mechanical

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.