New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Where have the calendars gone?

So, I was hoping to buy some of the older calendars in PDF form, mostly because I like the art and it's like having extra comic strips, and I can actually afford buying stuff online now. Can't seem to find them on Gumroad, though. Did I miss something, or am I looking in the wrong place? If they're gone, are they going to come back eventually?

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Where have the calendars gone?

They tend to come back just for December, as a limited time offer. Technically not necessary, since they have the files anyway, but I can understand not having a limited interest item like a calendar up for forever either.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    They tend to come back just for December, as a limited time offer. Technically not necessary, since they have the files anyway, but I can understand not having a limited interest item like a calendar up for forever either.
    Thank you so much.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

They don't just offer things for sale. They play games trying to manipulate demand all the time. They force you to keep up with their news if you want to buy their things. I'm sure someone read in a book somewhere that you're supposed to do this to your fans once you think they'll put up with it.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    They don't just offer things for sale. They play games trying to manipulate demand all the time. They force you to keep up with their news if you want to buy their things. I'm sure someone read in a book somewhere that you're supposed to do this to your fans once you think they'll put up with it.
    As wonderfully charitable as this is to me and my motivations, no, this is not why the digital calendars get taken off the Gumroad site for most of the year.

The reason is that they are a very, very low-selling item, largely because digital wall calendars don't make a lot of sense in the first place, and ones that are out of date make even less. Last year, I made exactly 11 sales of all the older digital calendars, combined, by far the lowest selling of anything I make. I would prefer, therefore, not to clutter my Store page with a list of items that hardly anyone is going to buy, because I think the more crowded that page is, the less likely people are going to scroll through it. However, every single year, someone starts a thread like this and asks about the old calendars, so I turn them back on.*

If no one had asked about them this year, I wouldn't bring them back. As it is, I'll probably turn them back on when the ornament goes on sale this week. I'm going to bundle the 2018 and 2019 calendars together with a discount, which means I need to do some housekeeping with the Gumroad site rather than just flipping a switch.

And seriously: I have zero interest in manipulating anyone's time, and if I could figure out ways to make sure people knew that there was stuff for sale without announcing it over and over, I would. As it is, I can plaster it on every square inch of the website and people still don't see it and then get upset at me when something they wanted sells out.

* I mean, the only reason I sell current digital calendars is because people started asking for them. It would have never occurred to me, and they're still a low-selling item that I wouldn't otherwise bother with except that they cost me nothing to make.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whoa, wasn't expecting a reply from the Giant himself.

Thanks for the response, I understand the reasoning.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Where have the calendars gone?

Sir, Dan Randall here, ISN News.

It has been widely speculated that the MitD is — in fact — Kosh. Will you confirm? Is it confirmed in this years wall calendar?
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
    And the women come out to cut up what remains
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
    An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
    Spoiler
    Show