The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 5E Eberron - Looking for a DM

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Still open, and will be until I say recruitment is closed.

Which won't be for a while yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donan View Post
    I also have the Eberron book and would love to play, though have I maybe missed the boat on this one?
    Nah Donan, you've got time. Looks like at least second week of December maybe?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thanks.

In that case I'd like to ask if you'd accept a Minotaur application, as they're one of the races listed as being from Droam and there are rules for creating one in the Ravnica supplement.

Edit: Though I may also muse over a Shifter Druid, as going through the thread, I don't think anyone's gone for that race or class. Also, is there an official template for Gnolls, or are they still in homebrew/UA territory? I'm still debating submitting a character with their origins being in Droam. (which has been around as a nation for 11 years I believe.)
    Last edited by Donan; 2019-12-03 at 04:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

withdrawing interest

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Zephyr d'Medani
    Spoiler: 10 Minute Backstory
    Show

Scholar and Scion: Zephyr has two fixations. One is to obtain the full measure of his Mark of Detection’s potential through the power of meditation and spiritual focus. The other is to hunt and destroy the sinister influence of aberrations, fiends, and their ilk.

Veteran in the defense of Breland: Zephyr served Breland as an inquisitive consultant embedded in the frontlines. He grew close with the unit commander, a bombastic dwarf named Derges Ironbreaker. The platoon he worked with conducted a raid into Cyre. An Inspired insider guided the platoon into a trap, which led to their capture by a cabal of Inspired led by Quori masters. The cabal conducted strange experiments on the survivors. Zephyr escaped, but had to abandon his friend Derges due to the dwarf’s wounds. He promised to come back for him with reinforcements.

Witness to the Mourning: Zephyr passed through to friendly lines only to witness the lethal mists consume Cyre and the secret laboratory where he left Derges. Brelish command refused to send anyone into the perilous fog on a rescue mission. They cycled the inquisitive to Sharn to complete his contract, riding out the rest of the War.

Private Paranormal Inquisitive: Zephyr has since moved on to operate as a private inquisitive. While a member in good standing with his House, the half-elf spent his remaining years in service and afterward devouring esoteric lore. He also consumed his time hunting for cases with potential aberration influence, fiendish possession, or suspicions of necromancy. The combination has turned him into an expert in arcane and ancient evils. However, the half-elf currently prefers his independence over joining the Warning Guild as an officially licensed House Agent. Should his string of cases dry up he would have no qualms signing onto the family business.

Ironbreaker’s Shadow: Survivor’s guilt haunts Zephyr. He seeks to validate his survival by discovering supernatural threats, but each success reinforces that he failed his friend. If adventure happened to bring Zephyr to the Mournland, the specter of the cold case would drive him to find his friend or his remains to return him to Breland.

Aspirations: Zephyr seeks to maximize the detective powers of his Mark. It would be cool to discover a lead that brings closure to the Derges’ whereabouts or revenge on any cabal survivors of the Mourning.

Mysteries: Zephyr has clandestine connections within Morgrave University. These contacts keep him informed on the latest supernatural threats and well-stocked on esoteric lore. Kendric d’Sivis, a gnome conjurer, maintains a strong colleague relationship with the inquisitive whom the mage leaks leads to from time to time. Zephyr reimburses the wizard with reports from the field as well as occasional arcane components he comes across.

Unknown to Zephyr, the Inspired’s experiments on him untapped his Mark and integrated it into his psyche. Their meddling may do more than enable him to harness divine energy and intuitively learn.

Connections: Derges Ironbreaker was a dwarf platoon commander in the Brelish army. The bombastic leader carried a massive cigar and a stout oak swagger stick into battle, and the running platoon ‘legend’ was that he had confirmed kills with both. The dwarf fighter showed a great ability to motivate his men into battle, as well as capability with a battle axe. His whereabouts since the Mourning are unknown to Zephyr.

Kendric d’Sivis possesses a professorship as an expert in transpositionary travel at Morgrave University. He associates with the intuit and inquisitive scholar as a colleague, though most of their interaction is informal and clandestine in nature. He willingly shares a malt spirit with Zephyr while discussing the darker spirits below Eberron, but prefers to keep their conversations on diabolism and cabals lowkey for the sake of his professional reputation. Though a distilled bottle of Quori essence would also be welcomed.

Martyn Helm of the Sharn Watch loathes Zephyr’s insightful ability to uncover mysteries and overturn cold cases. The veteran human investigator considers Zephyr’s abilities and reputation unearned, claiming that the Mark is what keeps a shingle on the half elf’s door. He makes a point to call out Zephyr’s presence at a crime scene as a nuisance, to which the inquisitive will respond by reminding him of his past successes.

Reveries and Mannerisms Zephyr recalls the horror of the Inspired lab. The intrusion of incorporeal spikes, followed by mind fire, and unwilled screaming. He also remembers Derges’ last words as clear fluid seeped from his eyes, ears, and nose, “Withdraw, mind-reader…Re-remember me unbroken.”
    Zephyr touches his temple or furrows his brow when activating his mark’s abilities. These tells developed after the laboratory, as if an unconscious wince though he feels no pain.

The half elf carries about a fine cigar case in memory of Derges. He tends to smoke a stogie when studying or analyzing a case.

Spoiler: statblock
    Show

Zephyr d'Medani
    Paranormal Inquisitive
    Half-elf (Mark of Detection) Rogue 1/Cleric (Knowledge) 2 NG
    AC 13 HP 24 Speed 30ft
    Str 9 (-1) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 16 (3) Int 14 (2) Cha 8 (-1)
    Attacks Rapier 4 1d8+2 Dagger 4 1d4+2 Shortbow 4 1d6+2
    Spell Slots: 1st level (3/3) | THP: 0
    Spells Prepared: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Toll the Dead | 1st Level: Command (D), Identify (D/R), Detect Good and Evil (M), Detect Magic (M), Detect Poison and Disease (M), Bane, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Protection from Evil and Good, Sanctuary | 2d Level: See Invisibility (M)
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2019-12-03 at 06:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

This was helpful in another game I'm in, so here's a list of all the characters submitted so far. I'll try to keep it updated. I couldn't find alignment for some of the characters. Let me know if I missed anyone.

BobtheWizard - Xakato Starless, NG Valenar elf Celestial Warlock

CoreBrute23 - Coemheim Dubhghaill, LG Mark of Sentinel Human Eldritch Knight

3SecondCultist - Cuff, LN Warforged Open Hand Monk

n0ble - Oswyn d’Cannith, LE Mark of Making Human Artillerist Artificer

tieren - Sanadal Syrralon d'Sivis, ?? Mark of Scribing Gnome Monk

Gorgon Heap - Lynnora "Lynn" Valleau, CG Variant Human Abjurer

Man on Fire - Calypso of Midnight, LG Variant Human Shadow Monk

Theophilus - Zephyr d'Medani, NG Mark of Detection Half-elf Rogue/Knowledge Cleric

kAmber - Keteren Daerren, NG Half-elf Bard/Rogue

Donan - Erbal, CG Gnoll Inquisitive Rogue

OhMyGodImOnFire - Mudd, ?? Warforged Artificer
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2019-12-09 at 10:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Theophilus - Zephyr d'Medani, ?? Mark of Detection Half-elf Rogue/Knowledge Cleric
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/19835616
    Zephyr is neutral good, hence the NG in his statblock link description.

Collecting the applications does help sort what has come through. Thanks for putting in the work, Bobthewizard.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

This was helpful in another game I'm in, so here's a list of all the characters submitted so far. I'll try to keep it updated. I couldn't find alignment for some of the characters. Let me know if I missed anyone.

CoreBrute23 - Dagii Whitequill, ?? Goblin Lore Bard
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/19524387/WqGgpz

CoreBrute23 - Coemheim Dubhghaill, ?? Mark of Sentinel Human Eldritch Knight
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/19532723/d3T1Gp
    Thanks for doing this! Two things:

1) I've already told the DM but I'm withdrawing my Goblin Lore Bard. I am only applying with my Eldritch Knight.

2) Does alignment matter? In 5e and Eberron especially I'm not sure how important it is, but if it's necessary he's basically Lawful Good.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoreBrute23 View Post
    Thanks for doing this! Two things:

1) I've already told the DM but I'm withdrawing my Goblin Lore Bard. I am only applying with my Eldritch Knight.

2) Does alignment matter? In 5e and Eberron especially I'm not sure how important it is, but if it's necessary he's basically Lawful Good.
    I said in 16 that alignment is unimportant as long as you can work in a team

However players should be aware that on my estimation of that criterion, evil and chaotic characters will receive more scrutiny.

Also big round of applause for Bobthewizard for compiling that list. That makes my job much easier.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-12-04 at 12:03 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'll muse over my application. I'm just debating on the thoughts I shared earlier.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Keteren Daerren: Face / skill monkey ex-priest guy
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...V0uVfnmyw/view

(I changed my mind and created a completely different character.)
    (10 min backstory is in bottom of document)
    Last edited by KAmber; 2019-12-04 at 03:19 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Zephyr is neutral good, hence the NG in his statblock link description
    Added the alignment. Apparently I don't know where to find alignment in DnDBeyond. I still can't find it. (Edit: I see it in the post now. Sorry I missed that earlier)

Removed the bard, kept the fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by KAmber View Post
    Keteren Daerren: Face / skill monkey ex-priest guy
    Added above.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2019-12-04 at 06:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Added the alignment. Apparently I don't know where to find alignment in DnDBeyond. I still can't find it. (Edit: I see it in the post now. Sorry).
    No worries. DDB has alignment under the Description—Characteristics tabs. DDB locks the Description and Notes tabs to public viewers for some unknown reason.
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2019-12-04 at 08:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey there! Are submissions still open for this game?
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OhMyGodImOnFire View Post
    Hey there! Are submissions still open for this game?
    Yes!
    And will be for another week or so
    Welcome!

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Yes!
    And will be for another week or so
    Welcome!
    Excellent! Will take a closer look at the B16 and come back with a sheet posthaste!
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'll try to sort a proper application. Is there an official race for Gnolls? Not sure if they're still limited to homebrew.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

I'm the only player not using an eberron race, but in my defense revised dragonmarks from rising from the last war don't work on non-casters.

18. - Top - End - #78

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    I'm the only player not using an eberron race, but in my defense revised dragonmarks from rising from the last war don't work on non-casters.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not the DM of course, but I read her sheet and I really like your character. She may not be an Eberron exclusive character but she fits in to the world. Not everyone in Eberron is a Valenar warforged dragonmarked artificer.

Looking at her sheet, I think our characters would get along well - both good-aligned adolescents on the run, but with contrasting light and darkness. It would be fun to role play them if we both get in.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    I wouldn't call it "not an Eberron race either"
    The Five Nations are all humans, and the vast majority of people aren't Dragonmarked.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll try to sort a proper application. Is there an official race for Gnolls? Not sure if they're still limited to homebrew.
    Unfortunately there is no official race for Gnolls, I'm sorry. And the top 16 said no homebrew so I don't think you can be one. You should PM the DM to ask if they have any suggestions on something you could reskin as a Gnoll, but you might have better luck with a different race. There are lots of official monstrous races to choose from! Minotaur, Tortle, Genasi, Orc, Goblins, Yuan-ti etc.

21. - Top - End - #81

GnomeWizardGuy

Unfortunately there is no official race for Gnolls, I'm sorry. And the top 16 said no homebrew so I don't think you can be one. You should PM the DM to ask if they have any suggestions on something you could reskin as a Gnoll, but you might have better luck with a different race. There are lots of official monstrous races to choose from! Minotaur, Tortle, Genasi, Orc, Goblins, Yuan-ti etc.
    If you want to be a gnoll, I'd recommend reskinning Orc from Volo's. Its stat bonuses reflect the gnoll monster stats pretty well, and the orc's "aggressive" feature could roughly represent the gnoll's "rampage" ability.

I'm not sure how well a gnoll will work in Sharn though. It would probably be fine once the adventure leaves the city, but from what I've read about Sharn, gnolls wouldn't be welcome in the middle or upper wards, or even in most establishments in the lower wards. In the books I've read, they are restricted to lower Dura and the Cogs and attacked by the City Watch if try try to go anywhere else. Orcs and the goblin races are more established and better accepted, but still face significant discrimination.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to be a gnoll, I'd recommend reskinning Orc from Volo's. Its stat bonuses reflect the gnoll monster stats pretty well, and the orc's "aggressive" feature could roughly represent the gnoll's "rampage" ability.

I'm not sure how well a gnoll will work in Sharn though. It would probably be fine once the adventure leaves the city, but from what I've read about Sharn, gnolls wouldn't be welcome in the middle or upper wards, or even in most establishments in the lower wards. In the books I've read, they are restricted to lower Dura and the Cogs and attacked by the City Watch if try try to go anywhere else. Orcs and the goblin races are more established and better accepted, but still face significant discrimination.
    Unless you work for House Tharashk of course (they hire Droaamites all the time). Then I imagine people let you go where you like, as long as you have a badge of some sort. A Gnoll bounty hunter/house agent could be a very cool concept.

Also I'm not sure how discriminatory the people of Sharn are to monstrous races like Gnolls. I don't know if they prohibit movement but I could see them not being welcome in certain establishments.

I agree that reskinning an Eberron Orc is probably a safe option, as long as the DM is ok with it.
    Last edited by CoreBrute23; 2019-12-07 at 07:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83

GnomeWizardGuy

Unless you work for House Tharashk of course (they hire Droaamites all the time). Then I imagine people let you go where you like, as long as you have a badge of some sort. A Gnoll bounty hunter/house agent could be a very cool concept.

Also I'm not sure how discriminatory the people of Sharn are to monstrous races like Gnolls. I don't know if they prohibit movement but I could see them not being welcome in certain establishments.

I agree that reskinning an Eberron Orc is probably a safe option, as long as the DM is ok with it.
    I think you could make it work with the right background, and I agree it would be easier as a Tharashk agent.

In one of the stories I read, the City Watch tried to throw a goblin over the side of the elevator just because they didn't want a goblin using the elevator. But if the DM didn't like the idea, they would have spoken up, so it's probably safe to assume they have a plan to deal with it.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you could make it work with the right background, and I agree it would be easier as a Tharashk agent.

In one of the stories I read, the City Watch tried to throw a goblin over the side of the elevator just because they didn't want a goblin using the elevator. But if the DM didn't like the idea, they would have spoken up, so it's probably safe to assume they have a plan to deal with it.
    I didn't speak up because I was ASLEEP.

That said, it's probably not going to be that strong, but monstrous races are going to be unwelcome in some places, and often assumed (rightly or wrongly) to be connected to the criminal organization Daask.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'll look into House Tharask in that case. Thanks for the advice.

I'll get a sheet up here soon, along with a background.

Edit:

And here's my ten minute background.

Erbal is a Gnoll who doesn't quite meet the stereotype. He does his best to mimic human expressions and mannerisms and works hard to keep a very respected appearance, including a good amount of grooming. Anyone familiar with the Gnoll race would spot that he's smaller then is typical and while he's no weakling, he's less imposing then most of his kind.

Background elements:

1. Erbal was born in what would become Droaam on the edge of the Shadow Marches, a location that had very slim pickings and was seen as weak due to being the 'runt' of the litter and often mistreated by the other members of his tribe. He was usually the one to be given the unpleasant tasks no one else was.
    2. When he was 11 years old, however, the Daughters of Sora Kell seized the area they desired and declared the creation of the nation of Droaam. Seeing their strength, Erbal's clan quickly pledged allegiance.
    3. As the dealings with House Tharask and Droaam increased, the matriarchs of Erbal's clan saw a chance to gain trade goods they desired, offering 'tribute' of some of their own to the House in exhange, as soldiers, trackers or whatever use the House desired to put them to. Needless to say, the 'runt' was one of those offered up.
    4. Expecting more harsh treatment, the now 17 year old Erbal was surprised when, instead, House Tharask put him and others through training, deciding to treat them as soldiers and make use of their strength and savagery. Still viewing himself as weak and wanting to prove he had other uses, he did his best to study the House's methods and tactics as investigators.
    5. He was lucky enough to catch the eye of one of their senior instructors, who was pragmatic enough to not waste a potential asset, however unusual. And for the next 5 years, Erbal received tests and trials to gauge him as a possible house agent.

Goals:

1. His training is only recently completed and he's aware not everyone in House Tharask is happy with th role he's been given. As such, he's determined to succeed in a high profile task, even if that happens to involve personal risk.
    2. Erbal struggles with finding his place in the world and where he belongs, and it would be good to see him work towards that balance.

Secrets:

1. Erbal actually misses his clan at times, despite the harsh treatment he was subject to. He knows his chances of having any sort of family are gone and while he does his best to act human, often deals with bouts of loneliness.
    2. The circumstances of Erbal's life and situation have possible connection to a fragment of the Draconic Prophecy. He's not aware of this, but others may be.

People

1. Matthias Torrn. A member of one of the three clans leading the House, Matthias has never manifested a Dragonmark, but is respected none the less. He was the one who saw potential in Erbal and took over his training.
    2. Sara Aashta. A Dragonmarked house member, and one who is decidedly not happy about having a Gnoll employed as an agent, to the point where she'd happily see Erbal quietly vanish if she can find a means.
    3. Brok. The leader of the Gnolls given to the House. Bigger and stronger then Erbal, and both puzzled and angry about how a runt gained a position that seems more important then his own.

Quirks:

1. Every so often Erbal has the same dream. He's walking over cracked and dry ground littered with skeletons. Above a blood red moon (the only visible in that dream), glares down at him. And something unseen stalks behind him.
    2. He's extremely fussy about grooming and his appearance, it stemming from a desire to appear cultured and to offset the stereotype of being a savage. However, he's very wary of trusting anyone to help with his appearance.
    3. When nervous or under stress, he has the troubling habit of baring his teeth.

Sheet:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2075401
    Last edited by Donan; 2019-12-07 at 02:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Very cool stuff! You might want to mention how Matthias Torrn is connected to Erbal-is he the instructor who saw talent in your character?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Urk, I don't know how I failed to put that in. He is, yes. I'll edit and fix that now. Thanks for spotting it.
    Last edited by Donan; 2019-12-07 at 02:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

GnomeWizardGuy

And here's my ten minute background.
    Nice job. I added the sheet to the list above.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Nice job. I added the sheet to the list above.
    Thank you.

Fudge. Used the Volo Orc profile rather than the Eberron one, will fix that.
    Last edited by Donan; 2019-12-08 at 02:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

And sorted.

*grin* Looking at characters, Cuff and Erbal might get along if they both make it in. Theey both see the importance of looking good.

Actually found a really good picture for him. The only detail that doesn't quite fit is the bone necklace, but that's a minor issue really.

And now I'm wondering if he has his mane and tail dyed white...

Spoiler: Erbal
    Show
    Last edited by Donan; 2019-12-08 at 06:58 AM.