The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now

Thread: Ranged Fighter?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Ranged Fighter?

I seem to recall seeing something about ranged fighters years ago when I was playing 4E. Am I on crazy pills, remembering something from a different edition, or is there such an archetype?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

Why not enter my optimization competition? Build an army; crush your foes! Military Games Act II: Mounted Defense

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ranged Fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I seem to recall seeing something about ranged fighters years ago when I was playing 4E. Am I on crazy pills, remembering something from a different edition, or is there such an archetype?
    There's not a lot specific for them, mostly because Fighter powers are all mostly melee.

You could build a Fighter with feats and power swaps a Half-Elf Fighter with Twin Strike and Opportunistic Archer(so RBA instead of MBA on Combat Challenge) and Sharpshooter Paragon Path(so RBA instead of MBA on opportunity attacks) would probably go a long way towards doing that.

If you were also an Arena Fighter, you could take Greatbow/Superior Crossbow+Sling, and Sling Expertise and then you don't provoke with your Greatbow...and then just add power swaps from Ranger on top of it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Could have been a slayer fighter. Most of what you get works with ranged weapons but in the end it even more puts you at "high base damage but cannot boost it much higher" that the slayer has.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Slayer fighters deal +Dex damage. Bows deal +Dex damage. Together, you deal +2xDex damage.

That is viable at low levels.

You could charop that. Say, broad reading of the avenger MC feat (that it comes back if you kill the target within 2 rounds) and distant vengence (use oath on ranged attacks), painful oath, etc. There are probably even better options out there; MC Seeker for another +Dex on basic attacks for example.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2019-11-26 at 11:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Hybrid Fighter Seeker with Deft Hurler is quite functional, too. Hybrid Talent lets you go all in on Str and Wis while still getting a +1 to hit like Weapon Talent would have done, Deft Hurler means you don't have to choose between doing your Fighter and Seeker stuff any given round (and lets you mess with multiple enemies on an at-will basis). Basically sacrificing some durability for control, range, and some more esoteric tricks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Slayer fighters deal +Dex damage. Bows deal +Dex damage. Together, you deal +2xDex damage.

That is viable at low levels.

You could charop that. Say, broad reading of the avenger MC feat (that it comes back if you kill the target within 2 rounds) and distant vengence (use oath on ranged attacks), painful oath, etc. There are probably even better options out there; MC Seeker for another +Dex on basic attacks for example.
    Yes that is what I recall from the old 4e OP board. You can get some nasty at will damage going for it (remember too that many of the stances are usable with ranged weapons as well and other things as well) the only issue it has is that it does not have many ways to really boost your capability when you need it via encounter powers and due to being fighter and that the 4e fighter power set outside of the slayer is so lacking on anything to use with ranged combat and the use of dex directly that it is hard or expensive to pick up things to help your ranged slayer outside of increasing your at will damage.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26