New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Back Like A Boomerang!: Dragon Prince Season 3

Dragon Prince season 3 just dropped. I don’t know about the rest of you but I liked it quite a bit.

Spoiler
    Show
    First of all, even in a completely different show, to a completely different character, Sokka’s boomerang always comes back. Nice.

And boy is it refreshing to have a romance not be drawn out to exasperation. After Callum responded to Rayla’s kiss in the worst way possible I was prepared to sit through season after season of will they won’t they, but no! The writers had better plans! I really really liked Callum and Rayla as a couple, especially their forbidden romance banter while climbing the mountain.

Soren was also pretty great. Real growth, clever jokes. The glowing hay and the kind eyes of Kasef’s horse both made me chuckle.

I was a little disappointed we didn’t get to see more of the culture and people of Xadia and I would have loved to watch Callum figure out another arcanum but I imagine we’ll see more of that in seasons to come.

Also I have to say the animation has continued to improve. The fight animation is solid and some of those magic effects, particularly the stuff Virien was slinging towards the end, were really impressive
    Last edited by Flying Turtle; 2019-11-23 at 06:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Back Like A Boomerang!: Dragon Prince Season 3

Spoiler
    Show
    When she kissed him and he started babbling like an idiot, I actually yelled for him to "stop babbling and kiss her back" before she panics and you blow it. I was so glad they dispensed with the relationship drama quickly. I've heard the complaint that their relationship seems rushed... I'm happy for the subverting expectations and having them leap head long into the relationship(like they were I don't know Teenagers) rather then gives us constant "will they won't they"

I hope for another subversion of expectation and rather then people reacting with horror to an Elf and Human dating instead they figure that the relationship is a symbol of peace between Elves and Humans and meddle in whole new uncomfortable ways.

Now onto theories, why is Callum able to use magic without a conduit or resorting to Dark Magic? What makes him unique among humans in the ability to form a connection with a arcanum? Nothing, in theory any human could forge a connection with a primal arcanum but because they aren't born with that connection everyone assumed they couldn't. Callum is naturally gifted in magic, I predict when they eventually meet Aarvaos(evil elf beyond the mirror) he'll comment on it and try and tempt Callum into joining him.

I also think that Aaravos was the one who taught humans Dark Magic. Not to help them in anyway but for some self serving purpose. I also wonder if the human side of the land was once just as rich in magical creatures until humans starting using dark magic.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    Dragon Prince season 3 just dropped. I don’t know about the rest of you but I liked it quite a bit.
    Glad to hear that, since I won't be opening the spoilers quite yet.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Now onto theories, why is Callum able to use magic without a conduit or resorting to Dark Magic? What makes him unique among humans in the ability to form a connection with a arcanum? Nothing, in theory any human could forge a connection with a primal arcanum but because they aren't born with that connection everyone assumed they couldn't. Callum is naturally gifted in magic, I predict when they eventually meet Aarvaos(evil elf beyond the mirror) he'll comment on it and try and tempt Callum into joining him.

I also think that Aaravos was the one who taught humans Dark Magic. Not to help them in anyway but for some self serving purpose. I also wonder if the human side of the land was once just as rich in magical creatures until humans starting using dark magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So as to why Callum can form a connection to an arcanum, I have a guess. He went on something of a vision quest after using Dark Magic and rejecting it. Afterward, Callum became more able to connect to an arcanum. Why other Dark Magic users didn't have the same experience... I'm thinking their first time using Dark Magic resulted in something similar to what Callum experienced. Only unlike Callum, they never considered that there might be a viable alternative to Dark Magic and accepted it. The only other magic users were elves, who seem pretty content using the connection to an arcanum that they're born with. Except for Aaravos of course.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that it was Aaravos that taught humans Dark Magic. At the very least, it seems like he made Viren's staff. The Dark Magic user at the beginning of the Season mentioned that it was a gift, adding "You didn't think a 'lesser being' could craft something like this, did you?" Aaravos also glances at it when he first meets Viren.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So as to why Callum can form a connection to an arcanum, I have a guess. He went on something of a vision quest after using Dark Magic and rejecting it. Afterward, Callum became more able to connect to an arcanum. Why other Dark Magic users didn't have the same experience... I'm thinking their first time using Dark Magic resulted in something similar to what Callum experienced. Only unlike Callum, they never considered that there might be a viable alternative to Dark Magic and accepted it. The only other magic users were elves, who seem pretty content using the connection to an arcanum that they're born with. Except for Aaravos of course.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that it was Aaravos that taught humans Dark Magic. At the very least, it seems like he made Viren's staff. The Dark Magic user at the beginning of the Season mentioned that it was a gift, adding "You didn't think a 'lesser being' could craft something like this, did you?" Aaravos also glances at it when he first meets Viren.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The vision quest was certainly helpful for Callum developing his arcanum but I suspect it isn’t strictly necessary. From a narrative stand point the visions might get tedious if Callum has to go through one every time he learns a new arcanum.

Not only that but the visions themselves mostly drew on all the things he’d already done that connected him to the sky. Learning how sails work, spending time in the storm, and his flash back to his mother’s advice on breathing. It’s like Sarai said, you have to understand things with your body, mind, and soul. The experiences are what gave him those different understandings, as Callum elaborated on post vision, and I’d wager they’re what really gave him his arcanum. The vision quest itself just helped him put it all together.

Come to think of it he’s already made a good chunk of progress on his moon arcanum. Lujanne explained the principles of moon magic to him, how we only really understand the appearance of things and Rayla started teaching him stealth, something he immediately connected to the moon arcanum. That’s at least a start on mind and body and thanks to the moon opal he’s even got experience casting a moon spell.

Ugh, this is too early to be getting excited for season 4.
    Last edited by Flying Turtle; 2019-11-24 at 01:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It really felt like the writers thought the show might end here. I liked it, but it felt rushed and we've reached heavy levels of convenient geography.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The vision quest was certainly helpful for Callum developing his arcanum but I suspect it isn’t strictly necessary. From a narrative stand point the visions might get tedious if Callum has to go through one every time he learns a new arcanum.

Not only that but the visions themselves mostly drew on all the things he’d already done that connected him to the sky. Learning how sails work, spending time in the storm, and his flash back to his mother’s advice on breathing. It’s like Sarai said, you have to understand things with your body, mind, and soul. The experiences are what gave him those different understandings, as Callum elaborated on post vision, and I’d wager they’re what really gave him his arcanum. The vision quest itself just helped him put it all together.
    Spoiler
    Show

No, not strictly necessary. Though I suspect that the vision quest was a part of why Callum was able forge a connection with the sky arcanum and Viren and Claudia didn't.

I'm operating under the notion that both Claudia and Viren had a similar vision quest the first time they used Dark Magic. Only they saw accepting Dark Magic as the only viable option. Also unlike Callum, they used Dark Magic with the explicit desire to become Dark Mages. Callum meanwhile, his first experiences with magic were using the Primal Stone and he had personal lessons to draw on to deepen his understanding of the sky arcanum. Claudia and Viren presumably did not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Come to think of it he’s already made a good chunk of progress on his moon arcanum. Lujanne explained the principles of moon magic to him, how we only really understand the appearance of things and Rayla started teaching him stealth, something he immediately connected to the moon arcanum. That’s at least a start on mind and body and thanks to the moon opal he’s even got experience casting a moon spell.

Ugh, this is too early to be getting excited for season 4.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe. Though it might be that Callum will just continue learn more sky spells instead of forging new connections to different arcanums. He's already added a few new ones to his arsenal. The "Breathe at High Altitude Spell," The "Grow Wings Spell," Sorry, I'm blanking on the names. He still hasn't learned Viren's Aspero Frigas spell, and possibly others. But yeah, I'm already interested to see what happens next season!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Season 3
    Show

Its great, and its pretty clear they got more coming if all three baddies are still alive and still planning to do stuff. [/deep Aaravos voice]: Soon Aaravos will become as butterfly!

also the Caellum/Rayla romance is a little rushed, but it feels like a good rushed for some reason. and yeah I can see their romance being used for outside purposes, like imagine people insisting Callum and Rayla get married NOW because thats just how early medieval kingdoms do it so as to seal som peace treaty or something, when thats not good for a healthy relationship. they're planning more than just this conflict. like there is a lot of things left unanswered:

-why Aaravos....just why him in general. we still know so very little about him other than that he has something to do with the sun queen grandmother's death and that Zym's father apparently imprisoned him.
    -Rayla and the coins of moon elves. yeah, she never got those back, I can see that being her new motivation
    -how will people react once Caellum starts telling people he has the sky arcanum and can use magic without being dark, after all, being unable to wield is a big part of why the humans go to war with elves and use dark magic in the first place
    -whats the political situation in Katolis, because technically Viren never got deposed and Ezran never got reinstated as king. Viren just lost a battle, he could still get back to Katolis and still be in control, the kingdom never knew of what he did towards the end, just the army that....probably are all dead or routed now. fleeing soldiers are deserters most of the time and not exactly the most reliable source of information....
    -we don't actually know WHY the Dragon Prince is so important or powerful. we know that the Zym is very powerful, but there hasn't been an actual explanation as to why this particular dragon is so important over all the other ones.
    -where is Claudia and Viren going in all of this, because Viren is a clear villain, Aaravos is villain, but Claudia seems to still be drinking the Viren-brand kool-aid and becoming more and more corrupted as she brings people back to life or heals them. it will be interesting to see where her continued loyalty to Viren gets her.

just in general, a lot of things left unresolved or unanswered for this to be over. there is more coming, I've no doubt about that.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Show

Its great, and its pretty clear they got more coming if all three baddies are still alive and still planning to do stuff. [/deep Aaravos voice]: Soon Aaravos will become as butterfly!

also the Caellum/Rayla romance is a little rushed, but it feels like a good rushed for some reason. and yeah I can see their romance being used for outside purposes, like imagine people insisting Callum and Rayla get married NOW because thats just how early medieval kingdoms do it so as to seal som peace treaty or something, when thats not good for a healthy relationship. they're planning more than just this conflict. like there is a lot of things left unanswered:

-why Aaravos....just why him in general. we still know so very little about him other than that he has something to do with the sun queen grandmother's death and that Zym's father apparently imprisoned him.
    -Rayla and the coins of moon elves. yeah, she never got those back, I can see that being her new motivation
    -how will people react once Caellum starts telling people he has the sky arcanum and can use magic without being dark, after all, being unable to wield is a big part of why the humans go to war with elves and use dark magic in the first place
    -whats the political situation in Katolis, because technically Viren never got deposed and Ezran never got reinstated as king. Viren just lost a battle, he could still get back to Katolis and still be in control, the kingdom never knew of what he did towards the end, just the army that....probably are all dead or routed now. fleeing soldiers are deserters most of the time and not exactly the most reliable source of information....
    -we don't actually know WHY the Dragon Prince is so important or powerful. we know that the Zym is very powerful, but there hasn't been an actual explanation as to why this particular dragon is so important over all the other ones.
    -where is Claudia and Viren going in all of this, because Viren is a clear villain, Aaravos is villain, but Claudia seems to still be drinking the Viren-brand kool-aid and becoming more and more corrupted as she brings people back to life or heals them. it will be interesting to see where her continued loyalty to Viren gets her.

just in general, a lot of things left unresolved or unanswered for this to be over. there is more coming, I've no doubt about that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the rushed romance works so well mainly because they’re not trying to sell it as some deep, already bound for life, kind of romance. It feels awkward, unsure, and over eager. You know exactly how you’d expect such a rushed romance to feel.

Technically Virien’s ascent to the throne was improper, as the priest lady pointed out when it was happening. Ultimately however it all comes down to the people. They’re the ones that let Virien cheese his way through proper procedure and they’ll decide whether to accept Ezran return.

As for the Dragon Prince, they have told us why he’s important it’s just the different sides value him for different reasons.

Virien and Aaravos are worried he’ll grow up to be Thunder 2.0, which would be a problem since Thunder imprisoned Aaravos and was the biggest threat to Virien’s imperialism. However if they capture him they can sacrifice him for some serious dark magic. I got the impression Aaravos had something specific in mind but I guess we’ll see.

Our merry band heroes value him because they like him personally and because of his symbolic worth. Rayla put it best back in season 1 when she pointed out that it has to be Callum and/or Ezran who returns him. If she just took him herself that wouldn’t do much to mend the rift between humans and Xadia. But two human princes risking their lives to return him? That sends a message. That will change more than a few minds.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm amazed that every season manages to be better than the last. Not many shows can boast of that. Can't wait for the 4th one.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think every human can learn every arcanum if they have a solid grasp of the philosophy and someone to teach them the actual spells. Callum was just the first to have both the motivation and opportunity to try. That blind sailor for instance demonstrated a solid connection to Wind. If Callum ever comes back and tries to teach him, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to cast. And Ezram has demonstrated a connection to Earth, so it's only a matter of time before he finds a teacher too. Callum may have been the first, but he certainly won't be the last. And he's halfway to mastering Moon as well.

I suspect that the truth has been intentionally concealed by elves afraid of what a human Archmage might do. Aaravos was clearly the one who invented and taught humans Dark Magic, but I'm not sure if he did that to ensure they'd be persecuted, or if he fell sympathetic to their plight once upon a time.

As for the season:

They avoided the one thing I was worried about: Portraying the elves as peaceful enlightened beings, putting all the blame on the humans. The sun elf general and translator made me worry, but their queen put those fears to rest pretty quickly. They were people, just like the humans, with good ones and bad ones aplenty. And I liked the two generals bonding over their mutual hatred of Viren.

The magic was on point, as usual. Dancing to activate hidden runes to pass the illusion, the ghosting, the floating flowers, the whole sequence with Aaravos darkening the Sun elf source, possessing a body, taunting and disintegrating the queen, creating some fire zombies. Everything.

They did a good job making Xadia look like a magical place. And the desert reminded me of Morrowind. Giant long-legged mounts, a huge Ghostfence, terrifying things that go bump in the night.

The romance was, indeed, refreshing. Awkward, teen, full of misunderstandings and for those reasons very believable. And thank god they didn't draw it out just for a kiss on the final episode of the final season, as other shows I could mention. Especially liked Ezran's reaction when he found out.

The characters were all pretty well-rounded. Though the show has been consistently good in that regard, so it was to be expected. Other than Soren's growth, a surprise to be sure but a welcome one.

The battle. The GoT guys should watch this battle just to see how a proper battle is fought. The defenders properly exploited the terrain to their advantage, properly deployed everyone to the proper place where they could contribute the most, properly used a shield wall and put it between them and the mindless charging zombies instead of behind them, properly employed dragons to break the charge, the bad guys expected and had proper counter-measures against said dragons, the horse archers properly flanked and shattered the zombies instead of charging head-on, and above all else, it was all a distraction: The bad guy bypassed the entire battle just so he could sneak to the kid who was his true objective. And they even foreshadowed it by having only Claudia cast spells with the Eclipse staff in the entire battle! The whole scene in the summit, up to and including the freefall was a great climax.

And the ending was pretty sappy but I liked it that way. Kinda big cliffhanger in the last half-minute though.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Another good season, the show continues to impress with fun characters and good pacing.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

also the Caellum/Rayla romance is a little rushed, but it feels like a good rushed for some reason. and yeah I can see their romance being used for outside purposes, like imagine people insisting Callum and Rayla get married NOW because thats just how early medieval kingdoms do it so as to seal some peace treaty or something, when thats not good for a healthy relationship. they're planning more than just this conflict. like there is a lot of things left unanswered:
    Spoiler: Vukodlak
    Show
    I agree the romance was a little rushed but a good kind of rushed. Perhaps it only seems rushed because we've been conditioned to expect this kind of thing to drag on forever in a TV series. As i've said they're teenagers who've endured multiple life and death struggles together. Neither of those things are conductive to taking things slow. I also had the idea that some people might seek to exploit the relationship as a symbol of peace. Maybe not rush them into marriage they could nab any Elf or Human of high standing and pair them together. But the story of Callum and Rayla faced impossible odds to bring peace to the world and fell in love along the way is a wonderful balled.

Show

Show
    We know he can perform all kinds of magic rather then just one. That the mirror was once in the dragon king's lair. I an others suspect he was the one who taught humans dark magic.

Show

Show
    I think its symbolism more then anything, some other dragon could take over the role of Dragon King and probably will at some point until Zym is older. But its the symbolism that's important. Rayla brought the princes on this quest because her returning Zym would be meaningless. But humans returning Zym is a peace offering.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    As for the rushed romance... Eh, I was OK with it. Mostly because Callum and Rayla didn't really act much differently than how they do normally. Aside from sometimes holding hands and/or smooching. That, and they're not overly serious about their relationship and can joke about it.

Though something I wonder about, what's going to happen to the soldiers that Viren turned into fire-monster people? Some of them evidently survived the battle and got captured by the good guys. Are they just fire-monster people now or can they be turned back?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    As for the rushed romance... Eh, I was OK with it. Mostly because Callum and Rayla didn't really act much differently than how they do normally. Aside from sometimes holding hands and/or smooching. That, and they're not overly serious about their relationship and can joke about it.

Though something I wonder about, what's going to happen to the soldiers that Viren turned into fire-monster people? Some of them evidently survived the battle and got captured by the good guys. Are they just fire-monster people now or can they be turned back?
    Show

.....eh....this doesn't seem like a universe where magic or its lingering effects is easily dispellable or reversible. Callum still has a lingering scent of death that the dragon guy could pick up, Claudia's hair keeps getting whiter and Viren's pretty much corrupted all over, and that whole Raylas braclet killing her hand thing. sure there was that sun purification thing, but overall this seems like a world where consequences of using magic stick and the purification thing looked pretty painful. I've no doubt that "all the parts that are corrupted" for Viren would translate to "all of Viren." and thus he would die. and I wouldn't be surprised if the fire monster people are just now that way forever unless people go out of their way to fix them and even then, reversing what has been done would probably have a cost all its own. its just that the elves way doing it probably has a less obvious way of footing the bill than dark magic does.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Six episodes in. Reactions:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Finguistics" girl needs to return.

Corvus knows when to walk away, and when to run.

Soren: sometimes being an idiot can be an advantage. Maybe not so much when you leave a trail of hay all the way back home, though.

So far the desert episode is winning for "deadliest pun of the series."

Viren: "She is not an asset." Setting up future conflict between him and ghost elf, maybe?

Surprising chuckle: Prince of Noodle-landia realizing he's thrown in his lot with a bunch of crazies.

"Pull out the spear, dummy!" - my wife and I simultaneously.

Aww, half-elves are gonna be a thing.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: End of season thoughts
    Show
    Yea the relationship stuff was cute.

Seems like being a Dragon Prince/Queen/King has something to do with being bigger and able to talk than the other dragons. Since Sol has been the only other dragon who has been able to talk and he was apparently once a king. (I'd kind of like to see more on him)

Interestingly it sounds like Sol was the king when the Human vs elf and dragon war broke out but Thunder was the one who imprisoned the bug guy so it must have happened before he became king.

Lass queen gets to be cool again in the last episode I was expecting Es to go and get her to be honest since he didn't really add much where he was and it would have been nice to flesh out the Queen abit more if she is going to be a recurring character.

Considering they are apparently making 7 seasons of this it feels like we are pretty far along in the plot. The human worlds forces are mostly exhausted the sun elves have lost alot as well so where do we go from here? What is bug man going to do?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Callum and Rayla's relationship was probably fast-tracked for the same reason other stuff was rushed - the writers were pretty obviously ready for this season to be the last. Though of course I hope it isn't. And in this particular case I absolutely do not mind being spared a season or two of will-they-won't-they. It also looks like Amaya decided not to be outdone by her nephew and got an elf girlfriend herself. Good on her.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-11-26 at 06:14 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

.....eh....this doesn't seem like a universe where magic or its lingering effects is easily dispellable or reversible. Callum still has a lingering scent of death that the dragon guy could pick up, Claudia's hair keeps getting whiter and Viren's pretty much corrupted all over, and that whole Raylas braclet killing her hand thing. sure there was that sun purification thing, but overall this seems like a world where consequences of using magic stick and the purification thing looked pretty painful. I've no doubt that "all the parts that are corrupted" for Viren would translate to "all of Viren." and thus he would die. and I wouldn't be surprised if the fire monster people are just now that way forever unless people go out of their way to fix them and even then, reversing what has been done would probably have a cost all its own. its just that the elves way doing it probably has a less obvious way of footing the bill than dark magic does.
    Spoiler: more Season 3 stuff
    Show
    That seems right, though whether its a point that future seasons will linger on... I guess it depends on how dark the writers want the story to get. I mean, the fire monster people, err... I guess I can call them FMPs for short, didn't didn't just get transformed into people that look weird and are now immune to fire, but into basically human-shaped animals. At least that's what I gather, as they no longer seem capable of speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Six episodes in. Reactions:
    Without giving anything away...

Spoiler
    Show
    "Finguistics" girl needs to return.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, she's adorable. By the way, does anyone know what accent Sunfire Elves are supposed to have? It's an interesting one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Viren: "She is not an asset." Setting up future conflict between him and ghost elf, maybe?
    Spoiler
    Show

Maybe? Though I've suspected Aaravos as having his own agenda for a while now. My own thought is not only does Aaravos see Claudia as an "asset," he sees Viren that way too. I believe that Aaravos is able to trick Viren by making him think that he's the one calling the shots, while Aaravos is just a helpful advisor.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2019-11-26 at 11:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: more Season 3 stuff
    Show
    That seems right, though whether its a point that future seasons will linger on... I guess it depends on how dark the writers want the story to get. I mean, the fire monster people, err... I guess I can call them FMPs for short, didn't didn't just get transformed into people that look weird and are now immune to fire, but into basically human-shaped animals. At least that's what I gather, as they no longer seem capable of speaking.
    Spoiler: Season 3 dark stuff
    Show

Yeah, the way I see it, unless we get a big upset in how magic is used in this setting, those people basically died when they transformed and got replaced by animals in lava-human skin. the actual battle was just killing the monsters that replaced them. thing is none of the people that got transformed were major characters so.....while expect it to remain a fact....don't expect any of those people to be cried over much.

as for dark stuff, I don't think they will linger or focus on it, so much as keep it a fact that it is there and that it happens, that one thing leads to another without emphasizing it a lot. its there, and thats how it works presented factually and simply without dropping an anvil over it. the fact that Claudia and Viren keep getting more corrupted-like in appearance is a fact and it results from their magic, but do we focus on it? no, because its an example of visual storytelling, a great example at that. the consequences don't need to be explained or lingered upon- just shown for one to observe and take note of.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, she's adorable. By the way, does anyone know what accent Sunfire Elves are supposed to have? It's an interesting one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sounded French to me.

By the way, I'm starting to dislike netflix dropping all episodes of a series at once. Discussion will die out in a few days and won't happen again until next year with the new season. I think I would prefer if it was a weekly schedule and we could talk and speculate after each episode.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    By the way, I'm starting to dislike netflix dropping all episodes of a series at once. Discussion will die out in a few days and won't happen again until next year with the new season. I think I would prefer if it was a weekly schedule and we could talk and speculate after each episode.
    As somebody wh doesn't often get a chance to binge episodes, I agree. I can't really join the discussion because I've only just got to the first episode of this series.I'm hopingh I don't spend the entirity of this series going 'just kiss already!'.

I am also hoping the promise this episode has given about more information on the origins of Dark Magic will be followed up on. But I'm not 100% sure they will so far.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sounded French to me.

Spoiler
    Show
    It sounded French-ish to me, too, but not French exactly. Some kind of Caribbean dialect (possibly Haitian), maybe? Then again, my ears are on their way to becoming as good as Amaya's, so I wouldn't quite trust them on that.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2019-11-27 at 01:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So I still have a lot of questions about Sol Regum. What was up with the cool down between uses of his fire breath? Thunder didn’t have that. Was that due to his injury or age or something else entirely. And why did he stop being the Dragon King? Once again was it the injury? Why was Thunder his replacement? Zym being explicitly the next dragon king implies dragon kingship is hereditary so did Sol not have an heir of his own? Or was Thunder his actual heir? Was his mate a Sky Dragon and Thunder took after her? Ugh, so many questions.
    Last edited by Flying Turtle; 2019-11-29 at 09:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It sounded French-ish to me, too, but not French exactly. Some kind of Caribbean dialect (possibly Haitian), maybe? Then again, my ears are on their way to becoming as good as Amaya's, so I wouldn't quite trust them on that.
    Spoiler: Accents!
    Show
    I was thinking French at first, though some of them, especially the queen, reminded me of an old classmate's accent-- she was from Ghana. I could sort of see Haitian too.

Spoiler
    Show
    So I still have a lot of questions about Sol Regum. What was up with the cool down between uses of his fire breath? Thunder didn’t have that. Was that due to his injury or age or something else entirely. And why did he stop being the Dragon King? Once again was it the injury? Why was Thunder his replacement? Zym being explicitly the next dragon king implies dragon kingship is hereditary so did Sol not have an heir of his own? Or was Thunder his actual heir? Was his mate a Sky Dragon and Thunder took after her? Ugh, so many questions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could be that Sol Regum has more potent fire breath than Thunder. Thunder's lightning breath could scorch the ground and blast apart stone, Sol Regum's fire looks like it can turn sandstone into lava.

Based on what we've seen of Thunder, it looks like the duty of the Dragon King is to guard the Xadian border. My guess is that Sol Regum stopped being the Dragon King when his blindness prevented him from doing that.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2019-11-29 at 11:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Finished watching it today. Not amazing, but pretty good.

The characters are still fun to watch, the setting is interesting and the animation definitely improved compared to the last two seasons.

But... Is it me or did it feel kinda... Rushed?

For a journey through a mysterious magical land where everyone hates humans, it sure was quick and easy.

There were a few inconveniences here and there, but I never felt like any of the protagonists was ever in any real danger. Even the final confrontation is easy.

IMHO, their journey should've been longer. And the season should've ended with...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Viren transforming his army and Soren leaving him.

And then have the rest of the season extended to feel like a real large scale conflict.

Spoiler
    Show
    Viren doesn't even use his army for anything... If all he wanted was to reach the Dragon Queen's chambers, he could have left with with a few companion and moved much faster. He's demonstrably capable of dealing with her guardians, after all. And if he hadn't brought his army, there'd be no sun elves to stop him.

Still an entertaining show, but I expected more.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-12-01 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Typos

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Finished watching it today. Not amazing, but pretty good.

The characters are still fun to watch, the setting is interesting and the animation definitely improved compared to the last two seasons.

But... Is it me or did ot feel kinda... Rushed?

For a journey through a mysterious magical land where everyone hates humans, it sure was quick and easy.

There were a few inconveniences here and there, but I never felt like any of the protagonists was ever in any real danger. Even the final confrontation is easy.
    Yeah, I agree with that.

Spoiler
    Show
    I also feel like there is a radical technological discrepancy between the humans and the elves (at least the sun elves) that gets completely glossed over. That golden city is MASSIVE. Even with all the human armies that city was MASSIVE. Even if the air elves are weirdo recluses (air nomads much?) and the moon elves are also weirdo recluses whose "exile" spell seems like a great way to get them all killed, the sun elves clearly have a friggen EMPIRE. And Viren just waltzes himself in there as a hostage? And the humans they've been actively antagonizing on the border march an army right up to their front gates and...that gets no response? I mean I guess that's arrogance and hubris for you but still.

But yeah...the kids seemed to waltz through it all pretty easy.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also feel like there is a radical technological discrepancy between the humans and the elves (at least the sun elves) that gets completely glossed over. That golden city is MASSIVE. Even with all the human armies that city was MASSIVE. Even if the air elves are weirdo recluses (air nomads much?) and the moon elves are also weirdo recluses whose "exile" spell seems like a great way to get them all killed, the sun elves clearly have a friggen EMPIRE. And Viren just waltzes himself in there as a hostage? And the humans they've been actively antagonizing on the border march an army right up to their front gates and...that gets no response? I mean I guess that's arrogance and hubris for you but still.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah... They show these massive cities, but it feels like every race only has 100 or so individuals. And I agree that the Moon Elf exile spell seems to harm the society more than the exile itself... I imagine an elf exiled for legitimately evil deeds would be more than happy to become completely undetectable to its victims.
    "That guy robbed, betrayed and killed many of us, his fellow Moon Elves! Quick! Let's make it so that we can't see or hear him at all!"
    "Great idea! I see no flaws with that plan!"

I wonder if they rushed the conclusion of this season's arc because they weren't sure they'd get another season... That's pretty much what happened to Korra, after all (and the reason Korra goes through pretty much the same character arc 3 times).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-12-01 at 08:03 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if they rushed the conclusion of this season's arc because they weren't sure they'd get another season... That's pretty much what happened to Korra, after all (and the reason Korra goes through pretty much the same character arc 3 times).
    Considering that we still don't know if it will get another season and that Netflix shows frequently end abruptly after 2-3 seasons, I'm all but certain that was the reason. The plot wraps up enough to be an ending while leaving enough open to continue. It very much did remind me of the second season of LoK, which does the same thing.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-12-01 at 06:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah... They show these massive cities, but it feels like every race only has 100 or so individuals. And I agree that the Moon Elf exile spell seems to harm the society more than the exile itself... I imagine an elf exiled for legitimately evil deeds would be more than happy to become completely undetectable to its victims.
    "That guy robbed, betrayed and killed many of us, his fellow Moon Elves! Quick! Let's make it so that we can't see or hear him at all!"
    "Great idea! I see no flaws with that plan!"

Wouldn't surprise me. Honestly a lot of TV shows these days seem to have creators who really don't understand the idea that their show might not be a success, and it doesn't feel like they plan for it. There's a reason network television demands episodic shows, but I feel like a lot of creators could do themselves a solid and at least make self contained seasons, or do a Gravity Falls and say "two seasons that's it we're done".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me. Honestly a lot of TV shows these days seem to have creators who really don't understand the idea that their show might not be a success, and it doesn't feel like they plan for it. There's a reason network television demands episodic shows, but I feel like a lot of creators could do themselves a solid and at least make self contained seasons, or do a Gravity Falls and say "two seasons that's it we're done".
    Isn't the point the opposite? That the creators are so sure they wont get more than 3 seasons (Netflix has a habit of cancelling after 3) that they try and make a contained story but then keep it open enough to actually tell the story they want in the future? Funny you should say gravity falls because that's a show famous for having a rushed ending.

This season did feel rushed though it would have been nice if they had done 12 episodes in this season and actually explored this mystical land abit.