The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 116
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

    Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

    Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to help with an easy transition between the investigation-heavy Call of Cthulhu, and most other RPGs). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

    ----
    Plymouth, New Hampshire, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

    The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

    Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

    You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

    ----
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

    For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything else than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

    For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything else than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!
    Okay!

    [1] Power
    [2] Intelligence
    [3] Constitution
    [4] Education
    [5] Appearance
    [6] Size
    [7] Dexterity
    [8] Strength

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle. You get a grip on the heavier case.

    You struggle for a few seconds before the driver comes up beside you and lends a hand, still puffing on his cigarette. “Heavy bags for a small ‘un,” he remarks. You judge it best to respond with a simple mutter of thanks.

    The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.
    ----

    Your starting Sanity is determined by your Power (this sanity score will most likely fluctuate wildly). In addition, you have a number of Magic Points also based on said power. This will deplete and over time eventually return back to its original score. However, in all likelihood, magic points shall rarely be used by an investigator early on in their career, but it is important to note that they do exist.
    ----

    The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----

    You have a certain amount of hit points based on both your Constitution and Size. Your current may fluctuate, but it is unlikely to ever exceed its maximum.
    You also have a Luck score, which is used to help determine things out of your control. Please give me 3d6 to assist in generating your beginning luck.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    ka-pow!! (3d6)[8]

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Wellll... that's a little below average. I guess your character's not the luckiest person around.
    ----

    The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.
    ----

    Please give me a Dexterity roll by rolling a d100 (Call of Cthulhu [unlike D&D, PF, etc...] is part of the d100 system, so that'll be the dice you most often roll).

    N.B. Whenever I say "roll," unless I specify otherwise, I mean a d100.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Yikes!

    (1d100)[41]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    You rolled below your Dexterity which means that you have succeeded on your roll (for now I shall hold your scores and whatnot, as I'd rather not overwhelm you right away, but eventually I shall hand your fully-furnished character sheet to you!).
    ----

    A desperate yell awakens you. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. You grab hold of the seat in front, just in time to prevent a painful fall. The coach stops with a thump.
    Now you see what has happened. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and your driver has had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle. He leaps from his seat into the road, unleashing a string of curses at the farmer.
    You take a moment to catch your breath. Perhaps you should offer assistance? But the driver has already returned. He backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.

    You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?



    The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

    So, it's now time to pick a name for your character! Please also let me know about your character's age as well. For the purposes of this scenario (heading to a new job), you're probably around 23 to 36 or so, but if you'd like to be outside those bounds, that's fine too.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    "J-Jerome," the young man stammers, "Jerome Lance." With some effort he's able to relax his grip on the seat in front of him. "I'm happy to be in the hands of such a capable driver," he manages, hoping a few dishonest kind words are enough to guarantee further good treatment from Silas.

    Jerome is 26 years old.
    Last edited by Mobves; 2019-11-24 at 09:37 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Silas gives a nod, appreciative of your complement. The coach then turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Going to Arkham, eh, Jerome? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? What’s your line?
    ----

    Now it's time for your character to choose an occupation. In Call of Cthulhu an occupation provides you with several occupation skills. It's comparable to a class, but the main distinction is that it's not representative of all your characters abilities, and it does not really affect advancement.
    Some common occupations for investigators include:
    • Antiquarian
    • Doctor of Medicine
    • Journalist
    • Private Investigator
    • Professor
    • Something Else... (we can discuss)?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    As you mention the position you got as a member of the clergy for Arkham's First Baptist, you recall how hard you worked to become a part of Plymouth's elite... and yet, something about them struck you as off. Perhaps you were disenfranchised by their emphasis on making money, or maybe it was simply that you knew them too well. Regardless, you knew that it was your moment to prove yourself to the Lord when you were recommended by the chaplain of Plymouth State to head towards Arkham. With the population of Miskatonic being so ingrained in the sciences, he theorized that they could use the Lord's guidance.
    A holy man? Huh...” Silas does not take the conversation any further.
    ----

    Your occupational skills are: Accounting, History, Library Use, Listen, Psychology as well as a choice from the following:
    Which conversational skill would he use in any sermons or statements?
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Fast Talk - limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on. Although sometimes it's just persuade that takes a short amount of time.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth). This normally takes quite a bit of time.
    .
    Which language other than English do you know (perhaps Latin because... well... baptist)?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Plymouth State's Chaplain suggested Jerome go to Arkham because of the young man's uniquely scientific approach to religion. He has the logical skillset required to Persuade the members of Arkham's First Baptist to trust in the Lord, as well as convince nobelievers.

    The ability to read and write Latin is something else Jerome garnered from his studies.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Sounds good to me!

    You may now choose one skill from the following list that you would perceive to be related to Jerome's career as a member of the clergy. I'll also provide a short sentence description or so for each.
    Spoiler: Skills (so many)
    Show
    • Accounting (you have this one) - understanding of accountancy procedures; reveals the financial functioning of a business or a person.
    • Anthropology - identify and understand an individual's or culture's way of life through observation
    • Appraise - estimate the value of a particular item, including the quality, material used, and workmanship.
    • Archeology - allows dating and identifying artifacts from past cultures as well as detecting fakes
    • Arts/Crafts - allows the creation, making, or repair of an item which could be artistic (painting, singing, etc...) or craft-related (woodworking, cookery, etc...). Each one requires its own choice.
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Climb - climb trees, walls, and other vertical surfaces with or without ropes or climbing gear.
    • Disguise - used whenever you wish to appear to be someone other than whom you are.
    • Dodge - allows one to instinctively evade blows, thrown missiles, and so forth.
    • Drive Auto - drive a car or light truck, make ordinary maneuvers, and cope with ordinary vehicle problems.
    • Electrical Repair - repair or reconfigure electrical equipment, such as auto ignitions, electric motors, fuse boxes, and burglar alarms.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Fighting (Brawl) - one's skill in melee combat. There are also different specializations such as Sword, Axe, Flail, Spear, Garrote, or Whip. Each one requires its own choice (if not picking Brawl).
    • Firearms - covers all manner of firearms, as well as bows and crossbows. There are different specializations including Handguns, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows (includes Crossbows), SMGs, Machine Guns, and Flamethrower. Each one requires it's own choice.
    • First Aid - emergency medical care, not for diseases (see Medicine).
    • History (you have this one) - recall a historical detail or event, the significance of a country, city, region, or person, as pertinent.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Other Language (you have this one, but you may pick another one) - Knowledge (ability to understand, speak, read, and write) of a language that's not your own. Each language is its own choice.
    • Own Language - Knowledge of your own language (presumably English)
    • Law - represents the chance of knowing pertinent law, precedent, legal maneuvers, or court procedure.
    • Library Use (you have this one) - Find a piece of information, such as a certain book, newspaper, reference in a library, or a collection of documents (assuming there's information to be found).
    • Listen (you have this one) - interpret and understand sound, including overheard conversations, mutters behind a closed door, and whispered words in a cafe.
    • Locksmith - open car doors, hotwire autos, jimmy library windows, figure out Chinese puzzle boxes, and penetrate ordinary alarm systems.
    • Mechanical Repair - repair a broken machine or create a new one.
    • Medicine - diagnose and treat accidents, injuries, diseases, poisonings, etc...
    • Natural World - represents the traditional (unscientific) knowledge and personal observation of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists.
    • Navigate - take the correct path to a destination, whether in a strange city or the wilderness.
    • Occult - recognize occult paraphernalia, words, and concepts, as well as folk traditions; can also identify grimoires of magic and occult codes. This one makes sense for a preist, given that Occult can be wrapped up in religion.
    • Operate Heavy Machinery - required to drive and operate a train, steam engine, bulldozer, or other large-scale land machines.
    • Persuade (you have this one) - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    • Pilot - allows the safe operation of a boat, aircraft, or dirigible. Each one is its own skill.
    • Psychoanalysis - refers to the range of emotional therapies.
    • Psychology (you have this one) - perception, common to all humans, to form an idea of another person's motives and character, and detect if a person is lying.
    • Ride - applies to saddle horses, donkeys, and mules, granting knowledge of basic care of the riding animal, riding gear, and how to handle the steed at a gallop or on difficult terrain.
    • Science - practical and theoretical ability with a science specialty gained from some degree of formalized education and training, although a well-read amateur scientist may also be a possibility. These specializations include: Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cryptography, Engineering, Forensics, Geology, Mathematics, Meteorology, Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology, etc... Each one is its own skill.
    • Sleight of Hand - allows the visual covering-up, secreting, or masking of an object or objects, perhaps with debris, cloth, or other illusion-promoting materials.
    • Spot Hidden - find a secret door or compartment, notice a hidden intruder, see an inconspicuous clue, recognize a repainted automobile, become aware of ambushers, etc. - an important skill in the armory of an investigator.
    • Stealth - when attempting to avoid detection, moving quietly, and hiding without alerting those who might hear or see.
    • Survival - expertise required to survive in extreme conditions, such as in desert or arctic conditions, as well as on the sea or in wilderness terrain. Each environment is its own skill.
    • Swim - the ability to float and to move through water or other liquid in times of crisis or danger.
    • Throw - hit a target with an object.
    • Track - follow a person, vehicle, or animal over earth, and through plants.

    Oh boy, that was long. I listed all of them for later reference, as well as to let you know that as long as it makes sense, any of these can be involved in your occupation. So, with all that out of the way, choose one!
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-25 at 01:52 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    I agree that Occult makes sense for a priest! Plus perhaps that area of interest will find Jerome some friends in Arkham...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Maybe...
    ----

    You realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    ----

    Note that even if you don't pick a skill as an Occupational Skill or a Personal Interest, you can still attempt any skill roll, having what's called a Base ability in it. There will more than likely be a slight, but nevertheless present, chance of you succeeding on anything you attempt.
    ----

    A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you survive on your own in this lush wilderness?
    ----

    Speaking of Personal Interest Skills from before, please choose four skills that represent Paul's Personal interests (so things unrelated to his occupation, in fact, they cannot be the same as his occupational skills).

    Also, I have a tendency to write a lot. I hope you're ok with this. If not, I can always shorten everything to better fit your desires.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    As Jerome notices the outline of deer in the forest he's reminded of the hunting excursion his father took him on when Jerome was just a child. It was a miserable experience. His father was mostly silent as they sat in the damp. When they finally spotted a buck Jerome aimed at it... but found he couldn't pull the trigger. So his father shot it, as if to prove something. In the following weeks the venison prove tasteless in the boy's mouth.

    He had no interest in returning to the wilderness after that. His time was better spent indoors, studying subjects such as German, the native tongue of his ancestors, as well as Chemistry and Archaeology. He used to be a proud member of Plymouth's Archaeological Society, where he also learned how to Appraise the value of various artifacts.

    Indeed, the scrawny young intellectual was happy to be putting the White Mountains behind him. He couldn't find much in common between himself and folk such as Silas.

    ---

    Also: please, don't hold back with what you write! I've been enjoying your description of bucolic New Hampshire. My IRL hometown happens to be Manchester !!!!!
    Last edited by Mobves; 2019-11-25 at 06:28 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas continues his silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    ----

    So now we need to discuss the order of your occupational skills. You currently have chosen: Accounting, History, Library Use, Listen, Psychology, Persuade, Other Language (Latin), and Occult. Please rate these from highest to lowest.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC


    Alright!! How about...

    [1] Persuade
    [2] History
    [3] Library use
    [4] Occult
    [5] Other Language (Latin)
    [6] Listen
    [7] Psychology
    [8] Accounting


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

    Please give me either a Drive Auto (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll or a Hard Psychology (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll. A Hard roll means that you must roll equal to or under half of your skill level.

    Also, yes, it is intentional I’m not specifying the exact numbers.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    I'll roll Drive Auto! (1d100)[15]

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    That's actually a Success! Nice!
    ----

    The grinding noises you heard could, of course, indicate engine trouble, but they also seem consistent with bad gear selection and incorrect declutching. It seems highly unlikely that an experienced coach driver would suddenly get this wrong, even after a long day’s drive (then again, based on the previous occurrence, Silas is not exactly what you'd call an "experienced driver").
    If this is a ruse to make you spend your time and money in a local shop, Silas will be sadly disappointed in your purchasing power.

    Regardless, the coach is going to be out of commission for some time.
    ----

    In this game, whenever you get a Success on a skill roll, you may be offered the chance to improve it later on (generally at the end of the scenario)!
    ----

    Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night.” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay.
    This here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

    Is your plan at this point to head off for May's house, ask Silas where he's going to spend the night, or are you going to challenge him about the veracity of the breakdown?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    I eye the man suspiciously. "I suppose you're well acquainted with this Ms. Ledbetter," I say. "Will you be staying with her as well?"

    I walk up to where he stands. I take a personal look at the engine. "It seems," I continue, frowning at the pile of metal,"that considering the price of my ticket, I should have been provided with a driver who doesn't run innocent farmers off the road. & furthermore, a driver who is able to shift an engine properly!"

    I gaze at the man contemptuously. "Is there a church in town? I'd like to consult a fellow man of the cloth about this so-called Ms. Ledbetter before charging into her house unannounced."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    His brow darkens and he shows a mouthful of twisted teeth.
    Ain’t that just like you city types,” he spits. “Thinking the worst of a man after he’s gone out his way to attend to your comfort!” He stalks around to the back of the coach and hauls your bags from the rack, dumping them on the ground at your feet. “Take them! Otherwise, I guess you’ll be accusing me of thievery in the morning!

    He marches off into the darkness, raging. That could have gone better. You look around and soon realize you strongly doubt there'd be a mechanic in this town (or a church). In fact, there are virtually no lights at all save the bright glow from the emerging stars. With nowhere else to turn it seems as good a choice as any to follow Silas' directions. Despite his sullen attitude, he's probably upset with having to stay overnight.

    You drag your cases between the sullen buildings. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas’ directions lead you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. You rap on the weatherbeaten door.

    After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?
    You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable,” she says. “You look tired. I’m May. Come inside and we’ll talk over a cup of tea.



    The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate. The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.
    ----

    Would you like to explain what happened with Silas and the coach, or ask about this festival?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-25 at 08:06 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Feeling embarrassed about my brief verbal scuffle with Silas, I stare down unhappily at my frowning reflection in the cup.

    "I'm just passing through, unfortunately," I murmur. "I'll be along the road as quick as I can be in the morning."

    I graciously sip the tea, hopeful that May Ledbetter will prove to be a more reasonable conversationalist than my illustrious driver. Curiosity gets the best of me & I ask her: "What festival do you mean?

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Well now, I suppose the Festival is about the only reason folks come to Emberhead. I thought you had maybe come to study it or take photographs. Well, it’s not tomorrow night but the night after. I suppose it looks very strange to a passerby.
    May tops up your tea. The spout chinks against your cup.
    We’ve got the Beacon, you see. One night every year there’s a torch-lit procession and we light the Beacon on the cliffs. You’ve never seen the like of it. They say it keeps the spirit of the village alive for another year. It’s a celebration. A celebration...
    She trails off for a moment, and blinks.
    But you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?
    You ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty. After dinner, you have a couple of hours before your usual bedtime.
    ----

    Would you maybe like to talk to May some more, walk around and get your bearings, or are you just planning on heading to sleep early for the long day of travel tomorrow?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    My curiosity truly piqued now, I decide to further question the woman.

    "About this Festival..." I begin, "I've lived in Plymouth my entire life, hardly far from here at all. But I've never heard of the Festival or 'Beacon' you told me about. It seems a bit strange... Is the tradition a new one?"

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    May simply shrugs "I'm not sure. From what I can recall it has."
    She then goes on to talk about life in Emberhead. “In her letters my sister always asks if I’m not bored, living in such a small place. She lives in New York. Then she writes about how frightened she is to walk home at night! I ask you.
    You mention your hopes for a new life in Arkham. May doesn’t seem to hear you.
    It’s a small place here, yes, but that means we have real community. Everybody’s face is known. Everybody works together. Nobody is excluded. Except those who choose to exclude themselves, of course. I couldn’t live anywhere else now.
    ----

    Admittedly, you've never even heard of this town before.

    Please give me a Charm (you consider yourself a neophyte in this field) roll.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    "Is Emberhead really so safe?" I ask her. "I'm a bit restless from traveling today... I was thinking of going out for a little walk about town."

    ---

    To Charm: (1d100)[69]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    She nods, but notes. "It's a bit too dark now, doubt you'd be able to see anything. We don't have any of your fancy street lights, mind you."
    ----

    It seems you must have missed your opportunity.
    ----

    As the hour wears on, you are amused to hear May transform into a sort of tired tourist guide.
    Of course the views from here are spectacular on a good day. A clear view all the way round. If you’re a painter you’ll be right at home. If your tastes run more to the artisan, there are workshops on Silbury Street. Just at the end here and turn right. They’re not set up for visitors, you understand? But you’ll see the real craftsmen at work. The genuine article. Now, if you’re looking for freshly baked bread...
    It seems a shame to point out that you intend to be on the road again shortly. You let May continue until she begins to yawn.
    Would you listen to me yapping? Time to turn in. When would you like your breakfast?” A simple seven o'clock should suffice.

    As May stands, you hear a clunk behind you. You look over your shoulder, but all you can see is a wooden door, securely closed.
    May tuts. “The young lady of the house. She’ll have been listening to us. Ruth! Come and greet our guest.
    There is a short pause, then the door creaks open. Two wide eyes peer at you from the gap, between tousled hair and a rough nightgown.
    What do you say?
    The eyes blink. “Pleased to meet you.”
    Now get back to bed.
    The door closes again.
    My daughter Ruth. Ten years this summer. She’s a delight and a torment all in one. Don’t worry, she sleeps in with me. She’ll not disturb you. Good night now.
    You retire to your room. It is a little chilly, but you are too tired to worry about lighting the fire. The sheets are clean and the bed soon warms up. The silence outside is strange after living in a town for so long, but you soon drop off.
    ----

    Does this suffice? If you really wanted to take a walk outside you probably could, but May's right, even with a heavy lantern that she'd provide you wouldn't be able to see anything (and with the chill of night, such a walk would probably be short-lived anyway). However, if you truly believe that you'd like to take a bit of a walk, that's fine, we can RP that.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    I'm not determined enough to ignore May's advice. My interest in the town is mostly the result of an active mind left idling. I'm happy to turn in after saying a few prayers, hopefully to have a dreamless sleep & be off without trouble in the morning.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Hmmm... "hopefully" being the operative word...
    ----

    You dream of fire in the grate; coruscating colors shimmering through the dancing tongues of flame. At first they are tiny, almost microscopic, but they grow, and grow, until a kaleidoscopic inferno spills from the fireplace, spreading across the floor, up the sheets…
    You wake with a start. Daylight glints through the curtains. You get up and examine the grate, blinking the sleep from your eyes. It is quite cold. If you have taken any damage, you may heal 1 hit point back for your night’s sleep.
    ----

    So, yes, just to clarify, "long rests" heal 1 HP. Taking damage is a bad idea (just like in real life).
    ----

    May seems to have no running water, but has supplied some in a ceramic jug. You freshen up at the washstand and go in. She cooks a hearty breakfast and leaves you in peace to eat. At about seven-thirty, you are paid up, packed, and ready to go. You bid May goodbye and she wishes you the best for your new career in Arkham.

    You are already tired of your heavy bags. Hopefully, Silas has repaired the motor coach and you can resume your long journey. A sourpuss he might be, but the old driver seemed to understand his vehicle well enough. You pause to check your watch—still twenty minutes early—and round the final corner.
    The motor coach is gone.
    You put your bags down and search the area, trekking up and down slopes and around corners. At the edge of the village, you trace the long road back as it winds across the hills. Eight o’clock comes and goes. There is no coach to be seen.
    A passing villager notices your bags.
    Looking for the bus? I heard him take off at first light. He’s due back in three or four days. If you need a place to stay, May Ledbetter rents a room.” The man raises his hat to you and strolls on into the village.
    You curse Silas under your breath. Perhaps he went for parts. But you wonder if the old goat has stranded you here on purpose.

    May is doing laundry, and looks surprised to see you again. “Forgot something?” When you explain the situation, she offers to store your bags while you try to arrange alternative transport. You are grateful to relinquish the load.
    Nobody here has anything like a car.” She strokes her chin and narrows her eyes. “Maybe you could find somebody with a horse and a cart for your bags. I could ask around later. Try Mr. Winters at the village hall, he’ll know if anyone will. Or ask among the artisans. Their workshops are first left on Silbury Street.” She reaches over and squeezes your wrist. “Don’t worry, I won’t see you sleeping in the street, money or no money.
    You thank May, and turn to face the village.

    You wander the streets of Emberhead without any particular destination in mind. The village is built on a relatively flat upland with splendid views. To the north, the hazy tips of the White Mountains reach for the heavens; to the south, the sparkling waters of Lake Winnipesaukee touch the horizon.
    The village itself takes less than five minutes to cross from edge to edge. However, it is literally edge to edge, as with the exception of the two roads out of town, all that's there is a massive drop-off. You arrived on the winding road to the west. The only other road leaves to the south, following a lower ridge of land as it turns east. In the northernmost part of town, you see the courtyard mentioned by May home to several artisans. Next to that is the town's largest building (which isn't saying too much) - presumably the village hall. Meanwhile, in the southwest of the village, an open grassy space borders a ruined church, its graveyard cresting the cliffs. To the northeast, the three main thoroughfares, with a general store being one of the only real businesses open, meet at a raised black metal structure. It looms, stark against the blue sky.


    ----

    Oh boy, that was long, I hope you got all of that, but basically... where do you want to head now to find transport out of here? Some places of interest that I listed were: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •