New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Opinions on types of goblin

The current world I'm putting together, we're doing something different with the goblins. Simply put, there's two different types of goblin: hot and cold. Hot goblins are ones who live on or near the surface, and have been driven crazy by the sun. Cold goblins live in the deep caverns, only coming to the surface at night.
    Both types of goblin are smart, but in different ways. Cold goblins are intelligent in their ability to understand things and plan ahead, coming up with off the wall ideas that go against what rational enemies would expect. While they're besieged, for example, it didn't make sense to the enemy that they'd resist long past the point of starvation when success was hopeless, but cold goblins understood that while the enemy was besieging them, they were pinned down, and it gave other enclaves chance to escape or shore up the defences.
    The hot goblins are smart in battle, making quick decisions, and assessing whether enemies can be killed, crippled or avoided. Hot goblins fight with salted blades, for example, because an enemy left in pain is a burden while an enemy killed is a martyr.
    I want to come up with a better name than hot and cold goblins, but nothing sums up the difference as succinctly. Is this a silly idea or good idea with a silly name?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Opinions on types of goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I want to come up with a better name than hot and cold goblins, but nothing sums up the difference as succinctly. Is this a silly idea or good idea with a silly name?
    I would either go with less funny (and it is funny, the first time you utter the words 'Hot Goblin', even the most sensible player will be cracking some sex-based joke) monikers (say 'cave goblin' and 'sand goblin') or go with altered similar-to-goblin names (say 'goblar' and 'golbyn'). Otherwise the idea is sound.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I suppose 'Deep' and 'Surface' would describe their thinking as much as their habitat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Why gove them different names? Just call them "goblins" and let the players figure oit that the goblins in the caves are smarter.

Do they interbreed? Do they look different? In what way are they not just tribes of goblins with different strategies?

An idea for your consideration:

The two types of goblins are the same tribe, but the deep goblins are the older, wizer ones who are the main breeders while the surface bands are the young hunters who must prove themselves to be survivors before they are allowed to return to the deep caves. Thus young, charismatic, but strategically naive goblin leaders are in charge of the surface bands and older, wiser goblins protect the main nests. Young goblins might even have children, but it would be rare for such young to survive long enough to make their first visit to the deeps.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Why gove them different names? Just call them "goblins" and let the players figure oit that the goblins in the caves are smarter.

Do they interbreed? Do they look different? In what way are they not just tribes of goblins with different strategies?

An idea for your consideration:

The two types of goblins are the same tribe, but the deep goblins are the older, wizer ones who are the main breeders while the surface bands are the young hunters who must prove themselves to be survivors before they are allowed to return to the deep caves. Thus young, charismatic, but strategically naive goblin leaders are in charge of the surface bands and older, wiser goblins protect the main nests. Young goblins might even have children, but it would be rare for such young to survive long enough to make their first visit to the deeps.
    you did not seem to understand the point: hot goblins are supposed to be smart too but in a different way:

The hot goblins are smart in battle, making quick decisions, and assessing whether enemies can be killed, crippled or avoided. Hot goblins fight with salted blades, for example, because an enemy left in pain is a burden while an enemy killed is a martyr.
    cold goblins are not said to be smart in battles only to be good at planning ahead which is different from the kind of intelligence for quick tactics.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Helios and Selene?
    Hot = Sun = Helios
    Cold = Moon = Selene

The idea is that if the surface goblins have been driven mad by the sun, then the deep ones have the tranquility of the moon or something. Alternatively, Helios/Nyx to represent Day/Night.

If you want a more direct translation, just make it Spanish XD
    The Calo Goblins, which live on the surface (Calo>Calor, which is heat in an environmental sense), while you have the Freeyo Goblins which live far down below (Freeyo>Frio, which means "cold").
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I suppose 'Deep' and 'Surface' would describe their thinking as much as their habitat.
    The idea of calling them deep and shallow goblins amuses me. Deep and surface works well without provoking too many "they're so shallow" jokes.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!