New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    But of all the things in the eldar codex that can be broken at low points, fire prisms would rank low. A Guardian bomb for example would be harder to deal with; fire prisms have a random number of shots and cant be spammed too much so against a low points army with several targets you might not even kill much and cant cover enough terrain. Any marine HQ on a jetpack will ruin their day, and so will plague drones or daemon princes.

Its less about my meta being hard, than it is about fire prisms really not being that bad, relatively speaking.
    What I'm getting from this is that playing any units from Craftworld Eldar apart from Fire Prisms will make people angry. Damned if you do, damned if you don't; might as well bring on the Jetbike-seer deathstar and enjoy yourself since that way at least 1 person will be having fun.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    What I'm getting from this is that playing any units from Craftworld Eldar apart from Fire Prisms will make people angry. Damned if you do, damned if you don't; might as well bring on the Jetbike-seer deathstar and enjoy yourself since that way at least 1 person will be having fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

3. - Top - End - #363
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Well, you can always play Jain Zar with banshees, although then there'll still be someone angry: you at yourself for wasting money on that pile of junk. Oh but maybe you like how they look even if they blow, so win/win no?

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Memes aside, yeah, playing 2 Fire Prisms at 500 pts probably won't endear me to the community.

Forum Explorer, that's probably good advice on making a battalion at 750 points.

The store posted the rules today; the 1000/1250 levels require two detachments (of any type), so I'll need to rethink those lists. Probably split them up into Battalion + Patrol, or maybe Battalion + Vanguard for heavy Elite usage.
    ithilanor on Steam.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Memes aside, yeah, playing 2 Fire Prisms at 500 pts probably won't endear me to the community.

Forum Explorer, that's probably good advice on making a battalion at 750 points.

The store posted the rules today; the 1000/1250 levels require two detachments (of any type), so I'll need to rethink those lists. Probably split them up into Battalion + Patrol, or maybe Battalion + Vanguard for heavy Elite usage.
    Give this some thought:

Spoiler: 750 pts.
    Show

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [43 PL, 748pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner [6 PL, 105pts]: 5: Mark of the Incomparable Hunter, Banshee Mask, Craftworlds Warlord, Laser Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult
    . The Phoenix Gem

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 137pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Warlock Skyrunner Conclave [10 PL, 191pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, 5. Quicken/Restrain
    . Warlock Skyrunner: Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade
    . Warlock Skyrunner: Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [20 PL, 315pts]: Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 7x Wraithblade

++ Total: [43 PL, 748pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Keep your CP for the +1 to casting rolls; if you land fortune and protect on the Wraithblades, even a mirror '2 fire prisms so OP' list will do nothing to them. The HQs can run circles around most things, the autarch does a lot of work and the 'locks can buff themselves if need be. or if you no longer need the +inv, jinx something. quicken lets your wraithblades exploit 48 x 48 maps :D. You can then go 'hey, maybe I should tone it down; why dont I just use fireprisms next time?'

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

You can then go 'hey, maybe I should tone it down; why dont I just use fireprisms next time?'
    ...I feel like that's not the mentality you want to go into things with. A) because if you're being deliberately jerkish, that's not a good look, and B) buying things to just use them and have them sit on a table is probably very much a bad thing when just getting into an army.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    ...I feel like that's not the mentality you want to go into things with. A) because if you're being deliberately jerkish, that's not a good look, and B) buying things to just use them and have them sit on a table is probably very much a bad thing when just getting into an army.
    Ah, from his use of Wraithguard I assumed he is going for the SC box; it makes either the shooty version or the melee one, and you can use blutac or magnets to switch back and forth between them. Jetbike HQs are pretty good at any point level, so thats not a bad start for an Eldar army; a Warlock council is just a bunch of Bike Warlocks, so you can run them as a council or as a 1-of. Sure, you can also run foot HQs, but its not like bikes are bad or anything. The other things (Dire Avengers, Illic, even the War Walkers but again, SC box) fall off in useability much more sharply; even Fire Prisms, as dangerous as they might seem on first glance, are sidelined quickly due to the game's abundance of High S High AP shots that just wrecks them. As I mentioned before, any Space Marine Captain with a jetpack and a thunder hammer (which, aside from being meta, are also incredibly popular due to being super iconic, hell its even an option in the Space Marine shooter) will crack them open like they're not even there, so in the long run they're a not bad but not super solid investment.

As for the toning down coment, it wasnt meant to be taken seriously; if you wanna keep purchases future-friendly and be 'nicer' field a bunch of Alaitoc or Ulthwe Guardians with 1 / 2 support weapons. Protect + Fortune with Celestial Shield gives you a 2+/3++/5++ brick that rains death through Doom and autarch re-rolls :D. Guardians are troop choices, so a solid buy for all the batallions you'll fill in the future.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

There is also an escalation league at the shop I play 40k at, though the points are 400, 600, 800 and 1000. I'm pretty new at the game so I'm sure mistakes were made, but across three tournaments my record is 2 wins, 3 losses and 3 ties. I'm preparing for the 800 point and I guess I'd like some advice. I'm playing Necrons so I should be doing good in the low point matches, but seeing as in two separate matches I've had had a quarter of my army blown off the board before I could do anything, Necron durability isn't what it's hyped up to be.

Spoiler: 400 points
    Show

++ Patrol Detachment (Necrons) [26 PL, 399pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice
    . Dynasty: Nephrekh

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [9 PL, 134pts]: Artefact: Lightning Field, Gauss Cannon, Warlord, Warscythe

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 135pts]: 9x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Wraiths [9 PL, 130pts]
    . Canoptek Wraith
    . 2x Canoptek Wraith (Particle Caster): 2x Particle Caster

++ Total: [26 PL, 399pts] ++

Spoiler: 600 points
    Show

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [36 PL, 7CP, 600pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Dynastic Heirlooms [-1CP]: Dynastic Heirlooms: 1 Extra Artefact

Dynasty Choice

+ HQ +

Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]: Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Chronometron, Staff of Light

Overlord [6 PL, 79pts]: Artefact: Voidreaper, Warlord, Warscythe

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 150pts]: 10x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

Immortals [4 PL, 75pts]: 5x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Wraiths [9 PL, 126pts]
    . 3x Canoptek Wraith

++ Total: [36 PL, 7CP, 600pts] ++

Spoiler: 800 points
    Show

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [48 PL, 8CP, 799pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Dynasty Choice

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [9 PL, 152pts]: Artefact: Lightning Field, Gauss Cannon, Resurrection Orb, Warlord, Warscythe

Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]: Chronometron, Staff of Light

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 120pts]: 8x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Wraiths [9 PL, 132pts]
    . 3x Canoptek Wraith (Particle Caster): 3x Particle Caster

Destroyers [9 PL, 150pts]
    . 3x Destroyer: 3x Gauss Cannon

++ Total: [48 PL, 8CP, 799pts] ++

Spoiler: 1000 points
    Show

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [67 PL, 7CP, 997pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

[Reference] Warlord Traits (All)

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Dynastic Heirlooms [-1CP]: Dynastic Heirlooms: 1 Extra Artefact

Dynasty Choice

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [9 PL, 134pts]: Artefact: Lightning Field, Gauss Cannon, Warlord, Warscythe

Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]: Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Chronometron, Staff of Light

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 135pts]: 9x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 110pts]: 10x Necron Warrior

+ Elites +

Lychguard [8 PL, 130pts]: Hyperphase Sword and Dispersion Shield, 5x Lychguard

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Wraiths [18 PL, 168pts]
    . 4x Canoptek Wraith

Destroyers [9 PL, 150pts]
    . 3x Destroyer: 3x Gauss Cannon

++ Total: [67 PL, 7CP, 997pts] ++

This is about the sum total of all the models I have. I didn't even have that squad of destroyers until recently so I'm not sure how to fit them in the smaller lists. What do you think?

9. - Top - End - #369

Low-point Necrons are playing a very different game than high- points. If I was writing an escalation Necron list, I would be a heretic and actually use large Warrior blocks with character support as my core. A lot harder to kill 20 warriors at under 1000 pts than at 1500+. I've had good games at 1000 with warrior spam. Then you have the usual favourites surrounding your 40 warriors.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Low-point Necrons are playing a very different game than high- points. If I was writing an escalation Necron list, I would be a heretic and actually use large Warrior blocks with character support as my core. A lot harder to kill 20 warriors at under 1000 pts than at 1500+. I've had good games at 1000 with warrior spam. Then you have the usual favourites surrounding your 40 warriors.
    Low points necrosn is Codex: Destroyers

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

All points Necrons is Codex: Destroyers
    Fixed that for you.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Give this some thought:

Spoiler: 750 pts.
    Show

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [43 PL, 748pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner [6 PL, 105pts]: 5: Mark of the Incomparable Hunter, Banshee Mask, Craftworlds Warlord, Laser Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult
    . The Phoenix Gem

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 137pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Warlock Skyrunner Conclave [10 PL, 191pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, 5. Quicken/Restrain
    . Warlock Skyrunner: Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [20 PL, 315pts]: Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 7x Wraithblade

++ Total: [43 PL, 748pts] ++

Keep your CP for the +1 to casting rolls; if you land fortune and protect on the Wraithblades, even a mirror '2 fire prisms so OP' list will do nothing to them. The HQs can run circles around most things, the autarch does a lot of work and the 'locks can buff themselves if need be. or if you no longer need the +inv, jinx something. quicken lets your wraithblades exploit 48 x 48 maps :D. You can then go 'hey, maybe I should tone it down; why dont I just use fireprisms next time?'
    Sorry, forgot to mention it, but 750 pts is Patrol/Battalion only, (500 pts is just Patrol) I assume to prevent shenanigans like this.

Ah, from his use of Wraithguard I assumed he is going for the SC box; it makes either the shooty version or the melee one, and you can use blutac or magnets to switch back and forth between them. Jetbike HQs are pretty good at any point level, so thats not a bad start for an Eldar army; a Warlock council is just a bunch of Bike Warlocks, so you can run them as a council or as a 1-of. Sure, you can also run foot HQs, but its not like bikes are bad or anything. The other things (Dire Avengers, Illic, even the War Walkers but again, SC box) fall off in useability much more sharply; even Fire Prisms, as dangerous as they might seem on first glance, are sidelined quickly due to the game's abundance of High S High AP shots that just wrecks them. As I mentioned before, any Space Marine Captain with a jetpack and a thunder hammer (which, aside from being meta, are also incredibly popular due to being super iconic, hell its even an option in the Space Marine shooter) will crack them open like they're not even there, so in the long run they're a not bad but not super solid investment.

As for the toning down coment, it wasnt meant to be taken seriously; if you wanna keep purchases future-friendly and be 'nicer' field a bunch of Alaitoc or Ulthwe Guardians with 1 / 2 support weapons. Protect + Fortune with Celestial Shield gives you a 2+/3++/5++ brick that rains death through Doom and autarch re-rolls :D. Guardians are troop choices, so a solid buy for all the batallions you'll fill in the future.
    I'm potentially going for the SC box, if it makes sense with the lists I run. Not positive on it yet. Also, how do the Guardians get a 2+ armor save?
    ithilanor on Steam.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Sorry, forgot to mention it, but 750 pts is Patrol/Battalion only, (500 pts is just Patrol) I assume to prevent shenanigans like this.

I'm potentially going for the SC box, if it makes sense with the lists I run. Not positive on it yet. Also, how do the Guardians get a 2+ armor save?
    They dont, the weapon platforms do :) but the entire unit gets a 4++ from Celestial Shield, so a 3++ with Protect. Any AP0 volume of fire stuff you save on the 2 wound platforms, any high AP weapon you save on the inv. Watch them pull their hair as they waste plasma and lascannon fire on freaking Guardians; Fortune meanwhile means that you get a prayer of keeping models alive. With Doom you can actually proc some bladestorm hits, and led by a bike Autarch (sorry I just love the thing) you are hitting on 3s /rr1s even if you advance (because of battle focus or fleet or whatever the eldar USR is called). You can go 'always in cover / ignore cover' custom craftworld trait combo, or alaitoc to be fearless when near your warlord and get the -1 to be hit

14. - Top - End - #374
    Banned

So, got a match tomorrow noon, against Iron Hands of all things, and for some reason Im supposed to play Iron Warriors. I can soup of course, but its supposed to be mainly CSM units, so ... any advice?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, got a match tomorrow noon, against Iron Hands of all things, and for some reason Im supposed to play Iron Warriors. I can soup of course, but its supposed to be mainly CSM units, so ... any advice?
    Be able to kill Infantry.
    Be able to kill Vehicles.
    Be able to kill Characters.
    Be able to shoot a unit if it sets up after Deployment.
    Be able to ignore Invulnerable saves.
    Be S5, AP-2... Damage 2, for preference.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Well let's see. Obliterators are supposed to be pretty good, if kinda expensive. So maybe 3 units of 3? That's basically half your army. Then you can spam cultists like there's no tomorrow. Warlord trait to auto-pass morale, and a Dark Apostle to give them a 5++. The 5++ is models with 6, so watch for that. Maybe a second Dark Apostle to give an Obliterator squad a +1 to hit. The cultists can fill the field to mess with flyers if need be, and basically just hold objectives. They can also tie up units. You can use the Cannon Fodder stratagem to protect the Obliterators, so they don't need to Deep Strike in.

No idea if any of that is a good idea though. I don't play Chaos.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2020-01-17 at 02:45 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Banned

Playing this hodgepodge of thrown-together stuff. Lets see how badly I blow up.

Spoiler: 1999 CSM
    Show

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [66 PL, -1CP, 1,130pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Iron Warriors

Specialist Detachment [-1CP]: Soulforged Pack

+ HQ +

Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: 6. Stoic Advance, Autocannon, Insidium, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord
    . Helstalker: Techno-virus injector

Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: Autocannon, Master of the Soulforges, No Chaos Mark

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler [9 PL, 148pts]: No Chaos Mark, Twin heavy flamer

Maulerfiend [7 PL, 122pts]: Lasher tendrils, No Chaos Mark

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [25 PL, 368pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 72pts]: No Chaos Mark, Soultearer Portent

Master of Possession [5 PL, 88pts]: Cursed Earth, Force stave, Mark of Slaanesh, Sacrifice

Sorcerer [6 PL, 88pts]: Bolt pistol, Force sword, Mark of Tzeentch, Weaver of Fates

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: No Chaos Mark
    . 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

+ Elites +

Dark Disciples - Use entry from "No Force Org Slot"

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [26 PL, 501pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]: Death Hex, Prescience, Temporal Manipulation

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 195pts]: Diabolic Strength, Hellforged sword, Warptime, Wings

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch [8 PL, 140pts]: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Prescience, Weaver of Fates

++ Total: [117 PL, -1CP, 1,999pts] ++

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Be able to kill Infantry.
    Be able to kill Vehicles.
    Be able to kill Characters.
    Be able to shoot a unit if it sets up after Deployment.
    Be able to ignore Invulnerable saves.
    Be S5, AP-2... Damage 2, for preference.
    Im hearing Heavy Bolter Spam
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

19. - Top - End - #379
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Im hearing Heavy Bolter Spam
    With what though? The issue is not just being able to do damage, its surviving going second. While we do have a bunch of terrain, we dont do magic boxes.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thumbs up Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

Hmm, going back to the Biel-Tan plan, with less Wraith units and more Dark Reapers, adding in LansXero's idea of a Supreme Command detachment at 1000/1250pts:

Spoiler: Week 1 - 500pts
    Show

Patrol Detachment
    Craftworld: Biel-Tan

HQ
    (Warlord) Asurmen - 150pts

Troops
    Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers
    -1x Exarch (2x Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Avenging Strikes)

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Heavy Support
    Dark Reapers - 124pts
    -3x Dark Reapers
    -1x Exarch (Reaper Launcher, Rapid Shot)

Spoiler: Week 2 - 750pts
    Show

Battalion Detachment

HQ
    (Warlord) Autarch Skyrunner - 105pts
    -Warlord Trait: Fate's Messenger
    -Laser Lance

Asurmen - 150pts

Troops
    Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Heavy Support
    Dark Reapers - 155pts
    -4x Dark Reapers

Spoiler: Week 3 - 1000pts
    Show

Battalion Detachment

HQ
    -Laser Lance

Asurmen - 150pts

Troops
    Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 80pts
    -6x Dire Avengers

Heavy Support
    Dark Reapers - 124pts
    -3x Dark Reapers

Supreme Command Detachment
    Craftworld: Alaitoc

HQ
    Warlock Skyrunner - 67pts
    -Psychic Powers: Crushing Orb, Quicken/Restrain
    -Singing Spear

-Psychic Powers: Focus Will, Conceal/Reveal
    -Singing Spear

-Psychic Powers: Crushing Orb, Protect/Jinx
    -Singing Spear

Spoiler: Week 4 - 1250pts
    Show

Battalion Detachment

HQ
    -Laser Lance

Asurmen - 150pts

Troops
    Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Dire Avengers - 113pts
    -9x Dire Avengers

Elites
    Wraithblades - 175pts
    -Ghostaxes & Forceshields

Heavy Support
    Dark Reapers - 155pts
    -4x Dark Reapers

Supreme Command Detachment
    Craftworld: Alaitoc

HQ
    -Psychic Powers: Crushing Orb, Quicken/Restrain
    -Singing Spear

-Psychic Powers: Focus Will, Conceal/Reveal
    -Singing Spear

-Psychic Powers: Crushing Orb, Protect/Jinx
    -Singing Spear

The Wraithguard are kind of random in the 1250pts list, but I figure they'd be better than vehicles that'd be obvious targets in an otherwise all-infantry list. That said, high strength/AP weapons are still good against them, so I'm not sure. I tried a variant that didn't add the 5-model Dire Avengers squad, instead going for an additional Warlock Skyrunner and Wraithblades instead of Wraithguard, but the only way I could make that work was by dropping the singing spears on the psykers...and if I did the models that way, I'd be leaving a bunch of points on the table in the 1000pts list. Ignore all that; made it work by changing the Farseer to a Warlock and juggling the numbers around a bit.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2020-01-17 at 09:34 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

21. - Top - End - #381

My nephew is looking to get into Kill Team. He has a single Skitarii box. Far as I can tell, the best loadout he can do with that is:

Ranger Alpha
    Ranger - Omnispex
    Ranger
    Ranger
    Ranger Gunner - Arc Rifle

Vanguard Alpha - Taser Goad, pistol to taste
    Vanguard
    Vanguard
    Vanguard
    Vanguard Gunner - Plasma Caliver

This comes to 99 points. We were looking for a way to fit the transuranic arquebus in, but it was going to go over 100 points if we did; I think it's better to take a plasma caliver and arc rifle rather than just the arquebus. The only thing that's been built so far is the Ranger Alpha (with a galvanic rifle), so this is still flexible. I'm open to advice.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    My nephew is looking to get into Kill Team. He has a single Skitarii box. Far as I can tell, the best loadout he can do with that is:

Ranger Alpha
    Ranger - Omnispex
    Ranger
    Ranger
    Ranger Gunner - Arc Rifle

Vanguard Alpha - Taser Goad, pistol to taste
    Vanguard
    Vanguard
    Vanguard
    Vanguard Gunner - Plasma Caliver

This comes to 99 points. We were looking for a way to fit the transuranic arquebus in, but it was going to go over 100 points if we did; I think it's better to take a plasma caliver and arc rifle rather than just the arquebus. The only thing that's been built so far is the Ranger Alpha (with a galvanic rifle), so this is still flexible. I'm open to advice.
    First thing that comes to mind is getting a second box of Skitarri for more special weapons. You can have 6 gunners- You should use them.

But, with what you have... Hmm... My gut says to replace the generic rangers with more Vanguard. They'll do better vs. hordes, and the triple damage on 6's will help immensely with killshots (Multi-damage means more injury dice, which means a better chance to get out of action instead of just a flesh wound)
    Last edited by Squark; 2020-01-18 at 07:09 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is getting a second box of Skitarri for more special weapons. You can have 6 gunners- You should use them.

But, with what you have... Hmm... My gut says to replace the generic rangers with more Vanguard. They'll do better vs. hordes, and the triple damage on 6's will help immensely with killshots (Multi-damage means more injury dice, which means a better chance to get out of action instead of just a flesh wound)
    He's nine years old. His parents are not going to run out and buy him a larger army. My going theory is to run two fire teams with the rangers for long range support, but I could stick with the Ranger Alpha to be the Leader and stay back and make the rest of them into Vanguard.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Today I got second place in a Kill Team Tournament, with the Kroot Mercenaries out of fourteen people. It was a pretty hard battle since it was the kroot, but good tactics and luck were on my side. Fortune favors the bold!
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I recently got into 40K tabletop (I'd been into the setting for a while, but just recently got the rulebook and accompanying things) and I have a few questions about the rules. I'm a Tyranids player.

-Does moving vertically count as inches of movement? The rulebook just says "can be moved vertically" which I feel is a bit unclear.
    -Can infantry hit flyers with melee attacks? I don't see any rules that would prevent this, but it just seems counterintuitive.
    -A Tyranids-specific question - the Tervigon can produce Termagants, either in new units or to replenish existing units. How do you count the points cost for these Termagants?
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

26. - Top - End - #386
    Banned

Playing this hodgepodge of thrown-together stuff. Lets see how badly I blow up.

Spoiler: 1999 CSM
    Show

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [66 PL, -1CP, 1,130pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Specialist Detachment [-1CP]: Soulforged Pack

+ HQ +

Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: 6. Stoic Advance, Autocannon, Insidium, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: Autocannon, Master of the Soulforges, No Chaos Mark

+ Heavy Support +

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [25 PL, 368pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 72pts]: No Chaos Mark, Soultearer Portent

Master of Possession [5 PL, 88pts]: Cursed Earth, Force stave, Mark of Slaanesh, Sacrifice

Sorcerer [6 PL, 88pts]: Bolt pistol, Force sword, Mark of Tzeentch, Weaver of Fates

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Dark Disciples - Use entry from "No Force Org Slot"

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [26 PL, 501pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]: Death Hex, Prescience, Temporal Manipulation

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 195pts]: Diabolic Strength, Hellforged sword, Warptime, Wings

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch [8 PL, 140pts]: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Prescience, Weaver of Fates

++ Total: [117 PL, -1CP, 1,999pts] ++

Well, we gotta get people back in shape. Despite telling me to play IW, the guy played a weird anti-eldar list with knight support. mulched through their vanguards that got tossed unsupported, eliminators had nothing worthwhile to shoot at, and the knights ate so much melee damage they folded like cardboard. It shouldnt've been this one-sided, but people are making really silly list and play choices, likely due to holidays.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I recently got into 40K tabletop (I'd been into the setting for a while, but just recently got the rulebook and accompanying things) and I have a few questions about the rules. I'm a Tyranids player.

-Does moving vertically count as inches of movement? The rulebook just says "can be moved vertically" which I feel is a bit unclear.
    -Can infantry hit flyers with melee attacks? I don't see any rules that would prevent this, but it just seems counterintuitive.
    -A Tyranids-specific question - the Tervigon can produce Termagants, either in new units or to replenish existing units. How do you count the points cost for these Termagants?
    1) Yes, unless the unit has a rule that says otherwise, like a unit with fly or the Reiver's grappling hooks
    2) Some units with fly can be engaged in melee by any unit, and some can only be engaged by other units with fly. I'm away from book so I can't remember the exact distinction.
    3) Tervigons making babies, demon summoning, and the like are done using reserve points in Matched play. You'll need to look at some of the more recent PDFs for exact details.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #388
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    2) Some units with fly can be engaged in melee by any unit, and some can only be engaged by other units with fly. I'm away from book so I can't remember the exact distinction.
    Units which can't be engaged by non-flying units will have an ability that states that they cannot have melee attacks made against them while flying.

The other type of flying units tend to be things like jumppacks or hovercraft that stays close to the ground most of the time rather than being constantly up in the air.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

There's no such thing as a unit which cannot be engaged by non-flying units.

They cannot be charged by non-Flyers - correct. They cannot be attacked by non-Flyers - also correct.

They can be consolidated into. This makes Slaaneshi fiends the bane of planes, if done right. They can force a plane to stay in melee, and lose the Airborne rule.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2020-01-22 at 01:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    There's no such thing as a unit which cannot be engaged by non-flying units.

They cannot be charged by non-Flyers - correct. They cannot be attacked by non-Flyers - also correct.

They can be consolidated into. This makes Slaaneshi fiends the bane of planes, if done right. They can force a plane to stay in melee, and lose the Airborne rule.
    Not... Really? They ignore models when moving. So they just fly away. You can't get a flyer stuck in melee.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.