New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Cruiser Tetron's Day Out: Let's Play Hero Core!

Part 1 is here

Hello everyone, I've just decided to throw my hat into the Let's Playing scene by playing through Hero Core, a classic indie game of robots, war, and laser guns. I hope I don't make too much of a pig's ear of the whole thing.

This is my first time doing anything Let's Play related, so any feedback would be nice. I think the sound balance works, but I have weird ears, so I kinda want some second opinions.

Enjoy! Or don't - Flip Hero doesn't need your approval (he likes it, though).
    Last edited by Amechra; 2019-12-09 at 04:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Play Hero Core!

Holy crap, Hero Core! I am surprised that Daniel Remar's games are still getting circulated, considering it's been about 6 or so years since he's made one.

I messaged him a long time ago, when I first discovered Iji about 10 years back, and he said that he still felt that Hero Core was actually a better overall game.

I couldn't get into it when I was younger, due to the high difficulty curve, but I feel like I should try it again. I'll definitely be watching your video, and I look forward to seeing more!
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-11-29 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Holy crap, Hero Core! I am surprised that Daniel Remar's games are still getting circulated, considering it's been about 6 or so years since he's made one.

I messaged him a long time ago, when I first discovered Iji about 10 years back, and he said that he still felt that Hero Core was actually a better overall game.

I couldn't get into it when I was younger, due to the high difficulty curve, but I feel like I should try it again. I'll definitely be watching your video, and I look forward to seeing more!
    I mostly know about (and played to death) Hero Core because I glutted myself on indie games in the 2006-2010 era. Daniel Remar's games are a big part of my gaming childhood (though I still haven't beaten Iji - maybe trying to go for the pacifist ending on my "first" playthrough is a mistake? )

Hero Core is a really tight game. I hear what you're saying about the high difficulty curve, but I'd give it a another go if I were you. You just have to be willing to smush your face against that wall a couple of times, and then the patterns become clear! Well, until you hit some of the later bosses - I'm telling you right now that we aren't going to be killing two of them (they're effectively optional, and I have beaten them before, but I have years of rust on my fingers at this point).
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Part 2 is here.

Today's video is slightly longer (just under 27 minutes long) than last time, but hey - we've made progress. We beat up two bosses, found a bunch of optional plot dumps core computers, and started meeting some late-game enemies (we're technically past the halfway point!) Oh, and I die a few times in my attempt on our latest boss, because Hero Core has decided that our forward momentum should be punished. That's not surprising, though - we're currently on one of the hardest bosses in the game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Cruiser Tetron's Day Out: Let's Play Hero Core!

Part 3 here.

On the one hand, two more bosses down. On the other hand... yeah, I'm not proud of my ability to string words together right about now. Maybe I shouldn't have started with a game that requires me to analyze patterns and the like.

I strongly suspect that no bosses will even be fought in the next episode. The Annihilator Factory is... a bit tough.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Part 4 is here

You know, I only just realized that the previous videos where 12 days apart. That was... not intentional. Not intentional at all. Speaking of terrible scheduling, we almost beat the final boss in this episode. So there will be one more (short) episode after this one, and a little special along with that. And then we'll be done with Hero Core.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The final part is here. Other than this one, of course.

So... it's done. And I feel like I learned a lot over the course of doing this.

1) Linking directly to the playlist was a mistake, I think - having a thread that people can go to and comment on (if they so choose) is probably a better way to go.
    2) Doing this without a proper schedule is... not good. As I pointed out earlier, I was putting out videos on a once-every-12-days schedule. Just looks sloppy, that does.
    3) Building a backlog is something I'll have to do - part of the reason for my glorious 12-day-schedule was that I was making videos the day of. Yeah.
    4) Watching the videos back has given me some thinks to think about related to how I talk. I wasn't aware of the space-y sounding "say a few words then rush to finish the sentence" thing, for example.

Moving forward, I think I'm going to look at some games that are a bit slower paced, with a bit more of a plot. Thank you, everyone who stuck with me through this rocky first attempt. I'll try to do better next time.