New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What's The Name Of Yoda's Race?

I would prefer it if they got a name eventually. The species going nameless kind of had a knock on effect of making them mostly irrelevant to galactic history once the EU got really big.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    They did - they kept the old backstory but had Jaster Mereel as the alias he took when he settled on Concord Dawn for a short time.
    Ah, okay, that's... not that bad, as far as things go.

Traditionally in real life, it was one rank above an Apprentice and one rank below a Master, in any guild. The full title in Star Wars was Journeyman Protector - and it was basically a kind of police officer.
    Whoops. I forgot there was a second part to the title, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    I would prefer it if they got a name eventually. The species going nameless kind of had a knock on effect of making them mostly irrelevant to galactic history once the EU got really big.
    I mean, to be fair, that's not really a bad thing. Especially since Star Wars really goes with the Planet of Hats thing. So I'm sure we'd get a planet full of wise force-sensitives. (Even though I imagine things would probably be more like what was happening when Yoda was in Exile on Dagobah.)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've described it before as making no difference to the story, but making a big difference to perceived characterisation.
    Eh,i disagree.

Greedo: "If you're lucky, he may only take your ship."
    Solo: "Over my dead body."
    Greedo: "That's the idea. I've been looking forward to your good a long time."

Han is a dead man walking there. In the unlikely event Greedo doesn't shoot right then and there, it's almost certain Jabba will kill him regardless. Greedo shooting first only serves to either have him be the worst shot in the galaxy, which is stupid, or gives Han Jedi reflexes, which is stupid. Depends on which version you watch. Regardless, at no point was that cold blood, that was self defense through and through, and waiting for Greedo to shoot regardless of the outcome was stupid. Especially for the build up of Han taking his blaster out while stalling for time. It adds nothing to the characterization except to slightly dumb down both characters.
    They did - they kept the old backstory but had Jaster Mereel as the alias he took when he settled on Concord Dawn for a short time.
    I thoight the final take was that Jango was the adoptive son of Jaster who joined the Mandalorians (even though they later rejected Jango). Or am i just completely wrong there?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Let's not forget how much of the OT's greatness was due to Lucas's editors putting a firm hand on his weirder ideas, either.
    Let's not forget directors and writers. Most people's favorite was directed by Kirshner and written by Kasdan.

Lucas is fantastic at works building and terrible at dialogue and directing. Actors famously say his only directing comments are "faster and more intense" (which just makes so much of the prequels weird, how slow were they going to begin with?). He is great at overall story, world details, etc., but he also thinks that every character should be running into each other all the time. Chewbacca helped Yoda, Vader built C-3PO, it's like really bad fanfiction at times.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-28 at 03:34 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Han is a dead man walking there. In the unlikely event Greedo doesn't shoot right then and there, it's almost certain Jabba will kill him regardless. Greedo shooting first only serves to either have him be the worst shot in the galaxy, which is stupid, or gives Han Jedi reflexes, which is stupid. Depends on which version you watch. Regardless, at no point was that cold blood, that was self defense through and through, and waiting for Greedo to shoot regardless of the outcome was stupid. Especially for the build up of Han taking his blaster out while stalling for time. It adds nothing to the characterization except to slightly dumb down both characters.
    Yep, but apparently, he needed hammerfisted in the head of many people that Yan had no choice, because else, that makes him bad man.

Lucas is fantastic at works building and terrible at dialogue and directing. Actors famously say his only directing comments are "faster and more intense" (which just makes so much of the prequels weird, how slow were they going to begin with?). He is great at overall story, world details, etc., but he also thinks that every character should be running into each other all the time. Chewbacca helped Yoda, Vader built C-3PO, it's like really bad fanfiction at times.
    So true.
    Most problem of the prelogy come from the dialogues and the direction. Notably the pacing of the movies.
    The direction is much better in episode 3, but the dialogues are still lacking.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-11-28 at 10:25 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Who? Is this Jabba's cousin that appears in The Clone Wars?
    Or his son?
    Just realized I never responded to this, but yeah, Jabbas cousin. The gold and purple one. Who, for unknown reasons, sounded like Truman ****ing Capote!

I ascribe those unknown reasons to Lucas, because it's the weirdest, most out of place decision in Star Wars to date, so I'm pretty sure that's on him.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Just realized I never responded to this, but yeah, Jabbas cousin. The gold and purple one. Who, for unknown reasons, sounded like Truman ****ing Capote!
    I may have seen this in French, or may not have perceive his accent due to my lack of skills in English.
    I do remember i looked weird, and behave worse.

The Clones War had its share of bad episodes, indeed.

I ascribe those unknown reasons to Lucas, because it's the weirdest, most out of place decision in Star Wars to date, so I'm pretty sure that's on him.
    You really have no love for Lucas.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-11-28 at 10:32 PM.

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

7. - Top - End - #37

I may have seen this in French, or may not have perceive his accent due to my lack of skills in English.
    I totally recommend youtubing Ziro the Hutt. Trust me, even if you didn't know English at all you'd get what I'm talking about.
    You really have no love for Lucas.
    Think of it like an ex lover. Things were great once, but then it just got worse and worse and you're glad to see them gone.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Lucas is not a good storyteller and that is okay. Lucas is a lover of radio serials and the pulp black and while serial tv shows like Flash Gordon, Lone Ranger, etc.

Lucas is not a good storyteller he is merely a FUN storyteller and that is okay and wonderful in its own right. We need people who want to tell these type of stories in this world, who wants to recreate something that always existed and make sure it exists.

Lucas has always been comfortable going weird, strange and I appreciate this for his movies have heart.

And Lucas works best when he has people that want to co-create with him, to tighten up the editing, writing, and delievery while simultaneously let Lucas be Weird plus have his love of "serials entertainment" that is camp.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Lucas is not a good storyteller
    I'll assume that is why Raiders of the Lost Ark or Star Wars initially did well in theaters but didn't have staying power or last the test of time.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I totally recommend youtubing Ziro the Hutt. Trust me, even if you didn't know English at all you'd get what I'm talking about.
    Oh my..... That's weird.
    He sound a bit like Azmorigan from Rebels, but worst.

11. - Top - End - #41

Oh my..... That's weird.
    He sound a bit like Azmorigan from Rebels, but worst.
    Fun fact from an article I just found!

So how did a character who wasn’t even supposed to speak English wind up sounding like that? Because George Lucas insisted on it, "Clone Wars" director Dave Filoni confessed.

"Ziro, Jabba's uncle, originally spoke in Hutt-ese, like Jabba and then he had a different sluggish voice just like Jabba, and then George one day was watching it and said 'I want him to sound like Truman Capote.' He actually said that and we were like 'Wow!' " Filion revealed. "

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

I thoight the final take was that Jango was the adoptive son of Jaster who joined the Mandalorians (even though they later rejected Jango).
    That is also true. Boba Fett probably grew up on Jango's stories of his time with Jaster, and thus, when he settled down, he chose Jaster's name for his own alias.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-11-29 at 02:16 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun fact from an article I just found!
    Just checked it , the voice actor was Corey Burton who also did Cad Bane and Dooku.
    He worked a bit on Rebels, but Azmorigan was voiced by James Hong.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Two theories that I like is that Yoda is what a human looks like when they are so attuned to the Force they reach 900 years old ...
    This one has been proven false. And yes, it's clear that you have not seen The Mandalorian.

and Jar Jar Binks,
    Yeah, still wonder what he was trying to do with this one.
    I have occasionally wondered: If Jar Jar Binks had been introduced in 1977, and C-3PO had first appeared in 1998, would Jar Jar be the irritating but beloved comedy-relief character and C-3PO the appalling one we can't stand?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I have occasionally wondered: If Jar Jar Binks had been introduced in 1977, and C-3PO had first appeared in 1998, would Jar Jar be the irritating but beloved comedy-relief character and C-3PO the appalling one we can't stand?
    I don't think C-3PO is as irritating and stupid as Jar Jar. Lucas went over the top with this one.

I sometimes wish the theory about Jar Jar being a Sith lord would be true, because it would make more sense that having everyone in-universe putting up with him as he is.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    This one has been proven false. And yes, it's clear that you have not seen The Mandalorian.
    I am aware of baby Yoda’s existence, yes, the internet is kind of flooded right now, but that theory has been fun for years and I wanted to share it.

Probably not.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Funny how bad things about SW are always considered Lucas' fault, but good things get credited to other people.

Bad editing? Must have been George. Good editing? Wow, Marcia did a great job.

Bad acting from Natalie? Must have been George's bad direction. Good acting from Ewan? Wow, Ewan is such a great actor.

I'm not so keen on Baby Yodaling, because I'd prefer his abilities to be due to accumulated wisdom and experience rather than a racial bonus to Force checks.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Funny how bad things about SW are always considered Lucas' fault, but good things get credited to other people.

Bad editing? Must have been George. Good editing? Wow, Marcia did a great job.

Bad acting from Natalie? Must have been George's bad direction. Good acting from Ewan? Wow, Ewan is such a great actor.

I'm not so keen on Baby Yodaling, because I'd prefer his abilities to be due to accumulated wisdom and experience rather than a racial bonus to Force checks.
    I, for one, credit Lucas with, well, most of the things. It's just, as time went on, those things went from amazing to terrible. He knew what to take on himself and what to delegate to others early on, such as having Kirshner direct and Kasdan write. It's still his movie, he still made a lot of the big decisions and storylines, it's still his story. ESB was still Lucas being amazing. The Holiday Special was still Lucas being craptastic. The rate of good to crap just changed later on.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think C-3PO is as irritating and stupid as Jar Jar. Lucas went over the top with this one.

I sometimes wish the theory about Jar Jar being a Sith lord would be true, because it would make more sense that having everyone in-universe putting up with him as he is.
    It's more than a theory at this point since a recent official comic has Jar Jar end up in a large-scale battle where the local jedi general dies against droid mooks and next thing we know Jar Jar has pried the lightsaber from the jedi's corpse and uses it to cut a path through the droid legions by himself.

And considering that all star wars materials points to one needing strong force potential to properly wield a lightsaber even in a simple duel (let alone a large scale battle dangerous enough to kill a veteran jedi general), then Jar Jar is far more than he lets out.

Plus people tend to forget that Yoda also started as comedic relief. The funny-talking alien that initially seems to only exist to annoy the jedi protagonist but turns out to be much more.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-11-29 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Plus people tend to forget that Yoda also started as comedic relief. The funny-talking alien that initially seems to only exist to annoy the jedi protagonist
    Yes. For all of what, ten minutes?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-29 at 06:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

It's more than a theory at this point since a recent official comic has Jar Jar end up in a large-scale battle where the local jedi general dies against droid mooks and next thing we know Jar Jar has pried the lightsaber from the jedi's corpse and uses it to cut a path through the droid legions by himself.

And considering that all star wars materials points to one needing strong force potential to properly wield a lightsaber even in a simple duel (let alone a large scale battle dangerous enough to kill a veteran jedi general), then Jar Jar is far more than he lets out.
    Do you have the name of this comics?

22. - Top - End - #52

Do you have the name of this comics?
    Age of Republic. Don't read too much into that, though; Jar Jar ends up being a poor street performer who is only known as "the clown" and largely looked on with disdain. The Darth Jar Jar theory remains just a fun fan theory, even if he gets a cool lightsaber scene.

ETA: I thought I'd said this earlier, apparently I didn't.

And considering that all star wars materials points to one needing strong force potential to properly wield a lightsaber even in a simple duel (let alone a large scale battle dangerous enough to kill a veteran jedi general)
    False.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-29 at 10:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

General Grievous had to be trained by Count Dooku who provided a connection to the Force and still got his shiny metal ass kicked in melee when facing a proper jedi.

Darth Jar Jar meanwhile just picks up a lightsaber and cuts his way through Grievous most lethal legions.

That Darth Jar Jar decides for the public to see him as a poor street performer is just another example of his dark skills. Such a deadly warrior that dances through war when even jedi generals die would never be able to drop from the public scene so smoothly.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-11-30 at 02:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

24. - Top - End - #54

General Grievous had to be trained by Count Dooku who provided a connection to the Force
    Nope. No Force connection at any point.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Grievous kind of goes beyond human limitations though, he has the inhuman strength, speed, arms etc to compensate.

Where does that 'faster, more intense' thing come from? The only place I can find is the Making of Episode 1 documentary, in which it's a self deprecating joke from Lucas himself.

The Clone Wars is mostly not Lucas' work, and that's where the 'referencing everything all the time' got really out of hand. He tried to get other directors for the PT, but no one would bite, so he was stuck with the gig.

Actually, I felt Jar Jar's canon fate was accidentally appropriate. A room full of people applauded Palpatine's ascent, but he got made the scapegoat for it. I'm not sure if that was what was intended, but it worked out.

26. - Top - End - #56

Grievous kind of goes beyond human limitations though, he has the inhuman strength, speed, arms etc to compensate.,
    Given that he was not human to begin with, I fail to see the problem there.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that he was not human to begin with, I fail to see the problem there.
    Fair.

Qui Gon does seem to take Maul's lightsabre skills as proof that he could only be a Sith Lord. 'He was well trained in the Jedi Arts', and he sure didn't mean diplomacy.

28. - Top - End - #58

Fair.

Qui Gon does seem to take Maul's lightsabre skills as proof that he could only be a Sith Lord. 'He was well trained in the Jedi Arts', and he sure didn't mean diplomacy.
    He could also likely sense Maul in the Force and feel the dark side swarming around him; he did, after all, have reason to turn around and warn Anakin despite being turned away from the approaching Maul at the time.

Also, it seems humans kind of suck compared to other races; Anakin is the only human who can podrace, which makes Qui Gon comment that he must have Jedi reflexes. Which, taken to the logical conclusion, means Jedi reflexes put humans on the same level as various alien species.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Also, it seems humans kind of suck compared to other races; Anakin is the only human who can podrace, which makes Qui Gon comment that he must have Jedi reflexes. Which, taken to the logical conclusion, means Jedi reflexes put humans on the same level as various alien species.
    I don’t think hutts are any good at podracing either. Given how many species there are in the galaxy far far away, it only makes sense that some of them are, for evolutionary reasons, far better than the average at the specific thing and if that thing is important to a particular sport they would therefore have such an advantage that members of other species would not stand a chance against them.

For all we know only Jedi dugs can compete with humans in basketball for example.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-11-30 at 01:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don’t think hutts are any good at podracing either. Given how many species there are in the galaxy far far away, it only makes sense that some of them are, for evolutionary reasons, far better than the average at the specific thing and if that thing is important to a particular sport they would therefore have such an advantage that members of other species would not stand a chance against them.

For all we know only Jedi dugs can compete with humans in basketball for example.
    Meanwhile the Gungans beat everyone out of the water
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-30 at 01:57 PM.