New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's The Name Of Yoda's Race?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    He could also likely sense Maul in the Force and feel the dark side swarming around him; he did, after all, have reason to turn around and warn Anakin despite being turned away from the approaching Maul at the time.
    Actually, a cut scene show them surprising one of spy drones of Maul. That's why they were already running at beginning of the scene and knew they were pursued.

Another bad cut from Lucas in order to make room for more podrace and JJBinks screen time.

Meanwhile the Gungans beat everyone out of the water
    Except maybe the Kyuzos.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-12-02 at 10:14 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile the Gungans beat everyone out of the water
    I’m not sure I understand your meaning here.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I’m not sure I understand your meaning here.
    I mean Jar Jar et al are going to be dunking from the free point line, from the looks of how they can jump.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

That's called a force jump, only Darth Jar Jar pulls it off. Other, normal gungans can't jump around like that, even when their life depends on it.

Anyway the chosen jedis of destiny was human and could only be beaten by other humans.

Emperor "I can kick the greatest non-human jedi aka Yoda's ass" Palpatine was also an human.

Greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy? Also human.

You hire aliens specialized in cloning to create an army? They go and pick an human for their basic template.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-11-30 at 10:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

I mean Jar Jar et al are going to be dunking from the free point line, from the looks of how they can jump.
    Ah yes but they suck at golf.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

I love how this thread started as a question about a little Muppet's species name, went through the actual directing on the setting where said Muppet started, and ended up (up until now) theorizing about the capabilities of a Gungan's relationship with the Dark Side of the Force.

Also, not even in RPGs is Yoda's species stated, when looking at his or Master Vandar's, it only appears with his name, level and class. They did a good job at keeping its species as something special, such as good ol' Yoda.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I'm not so keen on Baby Yodaling, because I'd prefer his abilities to be due to accumulated wisdom and experience rather than a racial bonus to Force checks.
    Yeah, I agree. His species is sure attuned to the Force (I believe that in the EU there was another female specimen), but I would've loved if this control developed better throughout the series, instead of being a Skill Focus (Use the Force) right off the bat.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yael View Post
    Yeah, I agree. His species is sure attuned to the Force (I believe that in the EU there was another female specimen), but I would've loved if this control developed better throughout the series, instead of being a Skill Focus (Use the Force) right off the bat.
    Yaddle, a female Yoda-type alien, is seen in the TPM movie.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    That's called a force jump, only Darth Jar Jar pulls it off. Other, normal gungans can't jump around like that, even when their life depends on it.

Anyway the chosen jedis of destiny was human and could only be beaten by other humans.

Emperor "I can kick the greatest non-human jedi aka Yoda's ass" Palpatine was also an human.

Greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy? Also human.

You hire aliens specialized in cloning to create an army? They go and pick an human for their basic template.
    Eh, Star Wars also seems to be another case where Humans aren't particularly weak ay anything, and they might have a slightly higher rate of being Force Sensitive* (but not more powerful Force use). If you're making an army meant to operate in different environments Humans are probably not a bad choice compared to, for example, Wookieees.

Also, Palpatine had the twin advantages of 1) the Dark Side consistently being shown as providing more brute force than standard Force use in addition to it's unique powers, and 2) Yoda being well into old age for a Tridactyl as well as clearly focused on more subtle Force uses (he's clearly one of the best precogs in the order).

* or just a tendency to feature on stories.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone have a source for the 'faster, more intense' thing other than the making of TPM? I really would like to know.

He could also likely sense Maul in the Force and feel the dark side swarming around him; he did, after all, have reason to turn around and warn Anakin despite being turned away from the approaching Maul at the time.
    'Force sensitive darksider' is not the same thing as Sith, though. By rights he should suspect Dathomir.

Yaddle was on the Jedi council, but that doesn't mean the species is especially force sensitive any more than Obi Wan and Mace being on it does. The baby being capable of it, on the other hand...

10. - Top - End - #70

Does anyone have a source for the 'faster, more intense' thing other than the making of TPM? I really would like to know.

'Force sensitive darksider' is not the same thing as Sith, though. By rights he should suspect Dathomir.

Yaddle was on the Jedi council, but that doesn't mean the species is especially force sensitive any more than Obi Wan and Mace being on it does. The baby being capable of it, on the other hand...
    A.) https://www.nme.com/news/film/carrie...e-lucas-870772

Just googled "Lucas faster more intense" and that was the first hit. Carrie Fisher is a good source, IMO. Also, amp bits removed, because screw amp.

2.) Counterpoint: the prequels have really bad writing. Like, the first shop they check which is specifically a smaller shop is the only place with the part they need? Not gone test that theory? Also, why not trade the shop for another, cheaper ship? Watto would have a super nice ship with working hyper drive and the Jedi would get the Queen to Coruscanti immediately. Etc. Etc.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-01 at 10:35 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Eh, Star Wars also seems to be another case where Humans aren't particularly weak ay anything, and they might have a slightly higher rate of being Force Sensitive* (but not more powerful Force use). If you're making an army meant to operate in different environments Humans are probably not a bad choice compared to, for example, Wookieees.

* or just a tendency to feature on stories.
    Also there tends to be more humans around in general, numbers-wise. So even if things are evenly proportioned... the fact there're more humans (especially since they're crazy enough to live on "you'd have to be crazy to live there" worlds ), means there'll be more human force sensitives.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

I will just say that one race simply being born better or with a stronger connection to the force strikes me as wrong on a fundamental level. The force is about giving yourself over to the universe, about oneness, and peace. Saying someone like Yoda is strong just because of his species giving him an advantage takes away from the character.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Thing is, nobody said the alien cloners had to limit themselves to one species. They could've cloned different kinds of xenos for each set of conditions.

Like the skills needed to be a space fighter are quite different from the skills needed to be a ground trooper.

But no matter the military role in the clone army, be it space crew or tank crew or scouts or artillery, the correct answer was always human, never xenos.

Also, Palpatine had the twin advantages of 1) the Dark Side consistently being shown as providing more brute force than standard Force use in addition to it's unique powers, and 2) Yoda being well into old age for a Tridactyl as well as clearly focused on more subtle Force uses (he's clearly one of the best precogs in the order).
    1) Yoda can fling battleships around with the Force. He's no slouch when it comes to brute power.

2) The Dark side of the Force didn't save the chosen Anakin from getting his ass kicked by human jedis.

3) Four jedi masters walk into Palpatine's office. Three are foul xenos, the other is a pure human. Which jedi masters get slaughtered by human Palpatine in a matter of seconds whitout the sith breaking a sweat, and which jedi master stands his ground to get the mighty Palpatine in his knees all by himself?
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

3) Four jedi masters walk into Palpatine's office. Three are foul xenos, the other is a pure human. Which jedi masters get slaughtered by human Palpatine in a matter of seconds whitout the sith breaking a sweat, and which jedi master stands his ground to get the mighty Palpatine in his knees all by himself?
    The one that doesnt require expensive CGI, obviously.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

While we are on the topic of Gungans: do they actually eat humans in the movies, or is that something that was made up for Darths and Droids? I don't remember it being in the movies, it it would seem more disturbing than what would normally be allowed in a movie aimed at children, but I've only seen Phantom Menace once a long time ago, so maybe it was mentioned and I just forgot.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Also there tends to be more humans around in general, numbers-wise. So even if things are evenly proportioned... the fact there're more humans (especially since they're crazy enough to live on "you'd have to be crazy to live there" worlds ), means there'll be more human force sensitives.
    The Legends EU explanation for this is actually that humans were the preferred slave species of the Rakata, and since the Rakata were the dominant species in the previous iteration of galactic civilization, humanity had a massive head start in development when the Rakata managed to get themselves killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12
    Thing is, nobody said the alien cloners had to limit themselves to one species. They could've cloned different kinds of xenos for each set of conditions.

Like the skills needed to be a space fighter are quite different from the skills needed to be a ground trooper.

But no matter the military role in the clone army, be it space crew or tank crew or scouts or artillery, the correct answer was always human, never xenos.
    According to Legends, the Kaminoans were the ones who insisted upon a single template (also according to Legends Palpatine and Plageuis initially tried to use the very much non-human Yinchorri, but that didn't work). The Kaminoans were a super-ridged species and they were deeply against any template variation at all, being against the idea of even such minor modifications as the ARC Trooper and Republic Commando programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix
    I will just say that one race simply being born better or with a stronger connection to the force strikes me as wrong on a fundamental level. The force is about giving yourself over to the universe, about oneness, and peace. Saying someone like Yoda is strong just because of his species giving him an advantage takes away from the character.
    Force mastery is about giving yourself over to the universe. Force sensitivity is about your midichlorian count. That might be disappointing, but that's how it is. Species wherein all members are force sensitive are not a new thing, and include both the aforementioned Rakata, a number of human offshoots, and lots of just weird aliens like Jungle Felucians. Adding the tridactyls to the list isn't a particularly large change.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2019-12-02 at 02:51 AM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The one that doesnt require expensive CGI, obviously.
    I don't know how much it costs to do CGI for an alien jedi, but I'm pretty sure it's significantly less than the money needed to hire the human playing Mace Windu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The Legends EU explanation for this is actually that humans were the preferred slave species of the Rakata, and since the Rakata were the dominant species in the previous iteration of galactic civilization, humanity had a massive head start in development when the Rakata managed to get themselves killed off.
    And why were the humans the preferred slaves? Because they were better all around than the foul xenos, and indeed the humies outlived their alien masters and went on to rule the galaxy themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    According to Legends, the Kaminoans were the ones who insisted upon a single template (also according to Legends Palpatine and Plageuis initially tried to use the very much non-human Yinchorri, but that didn't work). The Kaminoans were a super-ridged species and they were deeply against any template variation at all, being against the idea of even such minor modifications as the ARC Trooper and Republic Commando programs.
    Fair, but the point still stands: humans FTW again in Star Wars over all xenos scum. The Yinchorri failed, all other alien candidates failed, only human might is good enough for clone armies, jedi champions, sith emperors, top bounty hunters, etc.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know how much it costs to do CGI for an alien jedi, but I'm pretty sure it's significantly less than the money needed to hire the human playing Mace Windu.

And why were the humans the preferred slaves? Because they were better all around than the foul xenos, and indeed the humies outlived their alien masters and went on to rule the galaxy themselves.

Fair, but the point still stands: humans FTW again in Star Wars over all xenos scum. The Yinchorri failed, all other alien candidates failed, only human might is good enough for clone armies, jedi champions, sith emperors, top bounty hunters, etc.
    Psst. I'm in need of some credits. Is the Imperial Propaganda Office hiring?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Psst. I'm in need of some credits. Is the Imperial Propaganda Office hiring?
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2019-12-03 at 02:54 AM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

A.) https://www.nme.com/news/film/carrie...e-lucas-870772

Just googled "Lucas faster more intense" and that was the first hit. Carrie Fisher is a good source, IMO. Also, amp bits removed, because screw amp.
    Thank you.

Re Palpatine's office, it's very difficult to do action scenes with actors in elaborate costumes/make up, they can't necessarily see properly and might break the costumes or make the makeup fall off.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Spamalot in the Playground

I hope we never find out. Both EUs tend to be bad at this kind of thing.
    Oh come on, it's just a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    There is something to be said about leaving things unsaid, and the Star Wars EU was obsessed with filling in every possible nook and cranny. And then doing it again, in a way that contradicted the previous attempt. The more it did so, the more apparent it became that the original setting is paper-thin.
    Comics used to be paper-thin too (natch). The beauty of continuity is that you can keep trying at it, determine what works with people, and then when it starts to groan under its own weight, reboot it and keep the stuff people liked, then repeat for a new generation. This is particularly easy in settings where there is explicit magic running around. Just something something The Force something hyperspace something and Jar Jar is no more for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The beauty of continuity is that you can keep trying at it, determine what works with people, and then when it starts to groan under its own weight, reboot it and keep the stuff people liked, then repeat for a new generation.
    This only works if you really do keep the stuff people liked though. Otherwise you get, well, the sequel trilogy.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    This only works if you really do keep the stuff people liked though. Otherwise you get, well, the sequel trilogy.
    You mean the critically-acclaimed trilogy that made billions? Yeah, I said what I said.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #84

You mean the critically-acclaimed trilogy that made billions? Yeah, I said what I said.
    Eh, Avatar made billions and Jojo Rabbit was critically met with middling reviews. Just like "you not liking it doesn't mean others can't like it," is true, so is "critics can say what they want and it can make as much money as possible, that doesn't mean others can't dislike it."

25. - Top - End - #85

Eh, Avatar made billions and Jojo Rabbit was critically met with middling reviews. Just like "you not liking it doesn't mean others can't like it," is true, so is "critics can say what they want and it can make as much money as possible, that doesn't mean others can't dislike it."
    Others can dislike whatever they want, I never said they couldn't But the hyperbolic hate for the sequel trilogy is massively overblown and I don't consider it representative of the true audience at all.

I'm not going to dredge up the cesspit that the Last Jedi thread became here though, so I'll leave it at that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #86

Others can dislike whatever they want, I never said they couldn't But the hyperbolic hate for the sequel trilogy is massively overblown and I don't consider it representative of the true audience at all.
    I wholly agree, I just dislike "it made money" as an argument.

I also agree with your last bit that I didn't quote though. So, how's about that Yoda race?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I like all Star Wars Movies including the spin-off. No Star has never disappointed me. So I have a feeling that the ninth movie going to be great.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I like all Star Wars Movies including the spin-off. No Star has never disappointed me. So I have a feeling that the ninth movie going to be great.
    TRoS is gonna be a smash for sure.

I wholly agree, I just dislike "it made money" as an argument.
    I mean, I also said "critically acclaimed" which isn't related to box office at all

So, how's about that Yoda race?
    Nudge acknowledged, switching gears:

I bet we'll find out before Mandalorian is up. Omid Abtahi (the nervous scientist guy) is too big an actor to waste on two scenes, and he was the most gung-ho to keep the Yodeling alive for... reasons. He'll be back to give an exposition dump before too long.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #89

I mean, I also said "critically acclaimed" which isn't related to box office at all

Nudge acknowledged.
    A.) I already showed my dissatisfaction with critics opinions when they called my beloved JJR into question. That movie was impeccable, I tells ya! I might also have the biggest man-crush on Sam Rockwell, but regardless.

Also, not a nudge, just a joke. Black text means mod mode deactivated.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not going to dredge up the cesspit that the Last Jedi thread became here though, so I'll leave it at that.
    Aw, and I was looking forward to writing wall of texts in a futile attempt to convince you to stop liking a thing.

That was sarcasm, just to be safe. Peelee covered me with almost everything else, but I never claimed to represent the "true audience", whatever that is. I am merely expressing my personal opinion, as are you and everyone else. I dislike "the silent majority agree with me" arguments, they can be used by any side on any issue and add nothing to the discussion.

Anyway, I'm not gonna continue on this topic here. Just wanted to clarify that bit.