New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: To Save Sonuklola(IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    "I can't fly, but I do have some other tricks with which I might be able to help with scouting"
    Armand

"What kind of tricks?" Armand asked, "maybe we can both take a look. But my plan is to be way up high, out of range of anything."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

BlackDragon

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle walks over to an empty table. From her robe she pulls out a bright green bag. Out of the bag she pulls seven small gold mechanical frogs and sets them in a circle on the table. Then she taps each frog on the head, and slowly they start to hop around on the tabletop.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Like Armand, Shanks is openly curious about Phaneeddwall's shtick with the chair, and now with the frogs. After all, he'd spent decades playing with illusions, and was curious about her possible use now.

"Are the frogs part of our destiny also, Miss Whindlewhistle?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Spellcraft on the effect with the chair: (1d20+18)[22], +2 if it's an illusion effect.
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+13)[23] and Spellcraft (1d20+18)[23] on the frogs.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

As an answer Meredith replies Well, I have a way of looking anywhere within a few hundred feet with just a bit of time.
    Also curious about her appearance and the golden frogs.
    Spoiler: Checks
    Show

Knowledge (Arcana) to find out why Whindlewhistle fell through her chair: (1d20+23)[24]
    Knowledge (Arcana) for the golden frogs: (1d20+23)[28]
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2019-12-06 at 02:39 PM.
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

With some curiosity, Nathaniel casts a short spell, using Detect Magic and his small brass monocle to identify and magic present and determine the exact function of those mechanical frogs recently deployed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

BlackDragon

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle keeps watching the hopping frogs, "Oh, they are just my Hopping Hope Frogs. You know each one has a bit of liquid hope inside of them. You watch them hop and hope for an idea or help."

Spoiler: Shanks
    Show
    Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle could be a projected illusion figment, as they are intangible. Or Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle could be using a spell or magic item to be intangible. Though both are possible, they are a bit unlikely, as it's a huge waste of magic. The more resanble would be that she is intangible all the time, like a template.

The frogs look like simple Effigy Creatures, common enough among gnomes. Hopping Hope Frogs is something you have not heard of, but you have sure seen a mechancial frog before(and likely dozens of other animals too).

Spoiler: Meredith
    Show
    Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle could be a projected illusion figment, as they are intangible. Or Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle could be using a spell or magic item to be intangible. Though both are possible, they are a bit unlikely, as it's a huge waste of magic. The more resanble would be that she is intangible all the time, like a template.

The frogs look like simple clockwork frogs: minor magicaly animated constructs.

Spoiler: Nathaniel
    Show

The frogs glow with weak transmutation and weak enchantment magic.

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle herself glows with strong necromancy and conjuration magic.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shanks

Any gnome who still has the power to become situationally corporeal or not is worthy of some respect in Shanks' eyes.

"Well, then. Frogs notwithstanding, I would favour a strategy of trying to come over the mountains from the back, if we can find a way to do so. Flying or climbing over, or perhaps seeking out an underground pass."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

BlackDragon

Aesrick Gravelglove "Well, if ye don't mind me saying, you could just walk in the front too. They do have the Tradetown open. Sort of. Like no good decent folks go there to trade...only dark folks. But still, it's a way in."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

They may not want other gnomes coming in, but I myself can conceal myself invisibly so as long as they don't have to many dragons or mages I can probably get through tradestown.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-12-07 at 12:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

BlackDragon

Aesrick Gravelglove "No need to worry, there are plenty of shady....if not out right evil gnomes. As long as you can put on that act you should be fine. "

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle "Invisibility won't work. Plenty of the guards and guard creatures have scent, if not tremorsene or something else. And lots of kobolds are Sorcerers, and that does not even mention magic items."

11. - Top - End - #41

Unless they can see more than what you've said, I should still be able to scout around in one way or another. Meredith comments, I mean, who suspects a cat? If that still doesn't work I still have my ways.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2019-12-07 at 03:06 PM.
    Every day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

BlackDragon

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle "I just urge caution. Don't get over confidant. This is not an army made up of clueless mundane farmers that you can trick and fool with weak magic. It's an intelligent, prepared magical military. "

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shanks

The old gnome seems to age even further as Phaneeddwal seems to snatch away the hope she so recently offered.

"The same, I suppose, could be said for any mode of approach. All that we can do is try, and be ready to change our plan as we learn more."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

An entire army has tried and failed before, whether we gain entry by deceit, flight or some other paths, it won’t be easy or the crusade would have done it. We’ve just got to stick to what we’re best at.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

BlackDragon

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle "Well, yes, you should always be true to yourselves. "

All at once the golden frogs on the table stop hopping and stay in place, Phaneeddwal looks them over and scratches her chin.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Armand

“I’m going to take a look around the back,” Armand said, “anyone have a way of contacting each other? Otherwise we’ll meet back here in theee days.”

Spoiler
    Show
    no idea how long getting around the back of gnome-land will take, just trying to move this forward.

After determining how they would get back in touch, Armand left the building and took off into the sky, rising to over a mile up before turning and making for the mountains in the rear of he gnomish lands. On the way there he would descend to rest for a couple of hours when necessary, in inns if he could find them, or pitching a tent on a field if he had no other choice.

Once at the mountains, he made sure to stay over a mile above the ground, invisible, as he searched for trails or passes the others could take, as well as fortifications, guard posts, etc they would need to dodge.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shanks

The old gnome holds up a hand to pause Armand's process.

"If your goal is to scout from a great height, it might be safest if we all do that together, so that if there's trouble, we can respond as a group. Also, if we fly in from miles up and then land in a relatively uninhabited area like the [REGION THAT SHANKS KNOWS FROM HAVING LIVED THERE HIS WHOLE LIFE], we avoid those magical defenses at the border. Who's in?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Shanks can give everyone phantom steeds with air walk. Not quite as good as flying, but good for 12 hours of high-speed (well, faster than pretty much everything but a dragon) flight. What do you say?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well it commits us to avoiding long term infiltration from the get go, which we could try if we came through trade town, but then again, I was never a particularly good liar so that may be for the best. I think it might be a good idea, and have a few spells to help us if need be.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Armand

"Flying in from a great height and landing in an uninhabited area sounds like a great idea, let's do it," Armand said.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #50

For communication I do have rings for that, though I only have two. responding to Armand's query.
    Every day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shanks

Shanks nods at Meredith's offer.

"Those rings do indeed sound invaluable, especially if we need to split up. If we like, we can try out the shadow horses on the way to the mountains, and if you decide you don't like them, can always try other ways to get over or under."

Spoiler: DroidTony
    Show
    If we're flying about 200 miles a day, how long would it take us to work our way around to a section of the gnome kingdom that's well away from the main trade entrance?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

BlackDragon

Using the phantom steeds everyone flies over the mountains, And land in the Rock Feilds, the large rocky area in the north of Sonuklola to rocky for farms and is left wild. The land is filled all sorts of animals such as birds and wild goats. There is no sign of the army in the immediate area.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shanks gratefully dismounts and stretches some very sore old bones after a long and harrowing trip over the mountains.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Sonuklola. I wish we could provide the hospitality you all deserve."

[Edit to reflect DroidTony's very kind post following.]

"Now, once we're down out of the mountains, this area is pretty much all farmland, except for streams leading to a big lake in the centre, and our capital is there on that lake. I'm now a little low on magic for today. Would any of you have a way to conceal us? If not, perhaps we should try to commandeer a hay loft or silo to hide while we regroup."

Show
    Knowledge Geography to know what other geographical features (forests, rivers, etc) are in the area. Casting Divine Insight to give +5 to this check; (1d20+7)[21]
    Knowledge local to know something about the nearest gnome settlement. (1d20+6)[15]

Did Phaneeddwal come with us?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2019-12-09 at 11:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

BlackDragon

As Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle fell through a phantom steed, she could not come.

Spoiler: Shanks
    Show

Knowledge Geography: Just about the whole of the valley is farmland. There are no forests, only small groups of trees scattered around. Water runs down the mountains in the north, forming the Great Falls, that turns into the river and flows into the lake in the middle of the valley.

The capital city and work town are both on the lake.....the only other town is the tradetown over at the south pass. Each mountin wall base has a gold mine (north, west and east.)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nathaniel has been fidgeting throughout the entire journey, and now looks around nervously.

I can make a few of us invisible, but not for very long. Let's try and get out of sight before they find us shall we. We can't stay out in the open forever, but there must be more than farmhouses around here somewhere.

Show

Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty to know about any castles manors or other large central buildings to help control the countryside. Even if they're ruins now they may still be useful.
    (1d20+11)[12]
    Knowledge: Local to see what Nathaniel knows about the surrounding area and lesser known places that they could find some shelter in.
    (1d20+16)[26]

26. - Top - End - #56

Waking up from her cat nap as literally a cat, Meredith stretches and suppresses a yawn as she jumps off her mount, "Well, isn't this idyllic. Almost like there isn't any war.

Show

Knowledge (Geography) for some place to shelter in: (1d20+23)[39]
    Knowledge (History) for any landmarks or points of interest in the area: (1d20+23)[36]
    Every day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Nathaniel
    Show

Nobility and Royalty :The gnomes don't have any castles or fortifications, using more natural barriers.

Knowledge: Local : the three mines and the single work city make up a small part of the kingdom, the whole rest of the valley is farmland. Normally, just about any gnome family would be happy to put up a traveler in their barn for a night.

Spoiler: Meredith
    Show

Knowledge (Geography): The mountains have some natural caves, and some used and closed mines. The farmland has little natural cover.

Knowledge (History) :Just about the whole of the valley is farmland. There are no forests, only small groups of trees scattered around. Water runs down the mountains in the north, forming the Great Falls, that turns into the river and flows into the lake in the middle of the valley.

The capital city and work town are both on the lake.....the only other town is the tradetown over at the south pass. Each mountin wall base has a gold mine (north, west and east.)

28. - Top - End - #58

Hmmm, it seems the mountains have some mines where we could shelter in, as long as we find one which isn't it use. How about that?
    Every day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

BlackDragon

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle falls out of the sky and bounces on the ground a couple times. Then she stands up, not looking hurt at all.

Phaneeddwal Whindlewhistle "By the Great Gear, what a way to travel. It least I'm here."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shanks is doubly grateful that the party member most likely to pass through security nets undetected is also thinking about how best to conceal the entire group.

"I think that Meredith has an excellent idea. If we start in the mountains, we can investigate ways in which the kobolds made their way up during the invasion. Which might lead us more directly towards the possible brains behind all this. Besides, it would be unwise for us to get too close to [name of the capital] until we know more."