New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Council of Thieves [Bastards of Erebus] (IC-Interactive)

Spoiler: Aldo > > > Amaya
    Show
    Aldo similarly genuflects. "Miss Amaya, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. It's good to see that that there's still a sense of camaraderie in this town." He pauses for a moment before continuing "Forgive me if this is too forward, but I don't think I've met one of your kind; what are you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Amaya >>> Aldo
    Show
    "It's true," Amaya says with a long, understandable nod, "we are a rare breed. I am a glassblower."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Aldo chuckled. "And as an actor, I thought I was the one full of hot air." The humor passed he continued. "As for the name, the one I've been kicking around is 'Guardians of Westcrown', but I've not got it set in stone. Why? Do you have a suggestion?"

4. - Top - End - #94

Show
    "I'm not a 'guardian' of anything. That's a nice mix of others I've heard. But I am more of a 'Child of Westcrown' than any kind of guardian."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Aldo shrugged. "Like I said, it's not set in stone. So, what's your story? How'd you get wrapped up in all this?"

6. - Top - End - #96

Show
    "I have distant kin living in Magnimar and Sandpoint," she answers wistfully, "and someday I would like to join them there. But travel is so expensive, and so dangerous. Being a glassblower, I am a trained artisan, but the taxes and guild tributes, not to mention the 'loyalty markup' on prices for people who are not Chelaxian .... I will never get a chance. I admit, I also think this might be a better social venue than what I have currently. My best friends and close family are all different types of sand.

"So, what about costume? Not a lot of people are really discussing it, but I know Janiven asked us to think about it."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    "Well, the face clearly needs to be covered fully, but the armband is a bit weak. A sash is a more visual element, draws the eye better, though red is a really good choice..."

8. - Top - End - #98

Show
    "Sashes are pretty, yeah," says Amaya. "It's just that it is so much more material than what you need for an armband. Also, many people might wear a sash, and red is pretty popular. But an armband is pretty striking. It isn't covered by a shirt or overcoat, or anything really, and just isn't normally worn. People wear sashes as a fashion statement. People wear armbands as a different kind of statement."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    "But being hidden by a overcoat is part of the reason it's so powerful. We're going to be more or less incognito for this endeavor, so the ability to blend in and only advertise our presence when we want to be seen is very powerful." Besides, you're going to notice a sash. regardless of the angle. An armband has plenty of angles where you don't see it."

10. - Top - End - #100

Show
    She shrugs in her plain outfit. "As you can see, perhaps I am not the best person to ask about sartorial statements."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-18 at 03:06 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Folco >>> Aldo
    Show
    Live blades it is! Folco squares off with Aldo, stance loose and relaxed, blade point up. "Whenever you are ready."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    "Perhaps not. I think you current ensemble is doing a fine enough job as is, though I'm sure I could find something that'd look great on you."

Spoiler: Aldo > > > Folco
    Show
    Aldo smiled, putting his hands palms out in front of each other. By the time he had drawn them to his sides, each hand now held a faintly glowing dagger. Bringing them up in a fighting stance, he gestured with the closer one. "Whenever you're ready."

13. - Top - End - #103

Show
    "No, I wear what I do by choice," she says, "but if there is ever a special occasion, I will call upon your vestiary advice."

Beyond small talk, it appears this thread has petered out for now.

Spoiler: Aldo + Folco
    Show
    Care of course must be taken, but the two of you will work up a sweat to take a measure of each other. It will be assumed that no consumable abilities will be used for your combat training, with the exception of panache used that is regained through clever swordwork.
    Spoiler: Aldo
    Show
    Aldo: Folco is an equal skill in overall combat experience, it seems. Neither one of you are very strong, though that dearth is more pronounced on the larger tiefling. However, he is also surprisingly faster than yourself, and has a singular focus with his preferred weapon. Your defenses are almost a match as well, but with your better armor and two-weapon defense, you are able to just outpace him in defense. His size alone makes it hard to attempt any tricky maneuvers, so even a combat steal for comic effect falls on its face. Where you really own him, however, is simply forgoing two-weapon combat (a less-than optimal choice against his agility), and feinting him to come in for a totally unexpected strike. His ability to parry and riposte is damning, but again, feinting him keeps him from knowing to expect with a parry.

Spoiler: Folco
    Show
    Folco: Equal skill in overall combat experience; you are a fencer, and he a stage combatant. You have the speed advantage on him, but he negates that with his size. If you take the long road and fight defensively, this is the manner in which you can slowly outpace him with superior defense. Every now and then he tries to be clever and "attack" you but really try to take something off of your person. It is a nice attempt, but he is too small and weak to really make that work for him. He possesses a lot of damn clever bladework that really dizzies you, and you can't parry a blade you can't see or expect. He seems to be the master of the feint, and having done mostly shadow fencing on your own, he has uncovered a glaring weakness: you don't know how to actually deal with reading an opponent.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Aldo > > > Folco
    Show
    One thing you noted about the fight is that Aldo was very quick on his feet. Every time he managed to land a strike (and more annoyingly, when you misjudged his position), he was able to quickly sidestep out of the way, or to your side. In the relatively open space you were sparring in it was mostly just annoying, but if there was difficult terrain around or if he was fighting multiple enemies, then it could prove interesting.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Tia >>>> Erasmus
    Show
    "My mother raised me in the capital, Egorian. She doesn't speak much of my father, so what I know about that is limited. In fact, it was only when she passed that I was able to find his name. I hope one day to find him. Understand where I come from and such. It seems like your family was quite well-learned, and while you may have suffered such at the hands of that man, joining this movement may be a good move for you. Little seems to happen just by chance, I feel, and your presence here has already proven to be a positive experience, after all."
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

16. - Top - End - #106

Spoiler: Erasmus >>> Tia
    Show
    "We shall see," says Erasmus. "So, how do you feel about a name for this group? I was thinking, the 'Doom of the Damned,' but that might be a little too subtle for the common folk to understand."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Tia giggles a little. "I feel like that name wouldn't inspire confidence in the people. I'm still partial to Children of Westcrown, but I'm not exactly good at naming things."

18. - Top - End - #108

Show
    Erasmus nods a couple times, even in a humorous, self-deprecating way. "I do admit that I am a bit more saturnine, but when you are possessed by what amounts to a small hamlet, what can you do? Children of Westcrown .... that could do it. Children are hope. What about the costume? Dark hood and red armband? Unlike those who pretend to be what I am really, I was never much for flash and flair, but I am not quite as well-read on how to influence the masses with motifs."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    "The hoods, I was to understand, were to keep us protected from retribution outside of our work. So as to not attract untoward attention and to hide our faces while dealing with the enemy, as it were. Since I personally dress like this anyways..." She pulls her shirt up to her nose to sniff it, then makes a slightly exaggerated retch. "Ewww. Sorry, off the subject. Since I dress like this anyways, I see the value in it. The red armband makes sense from a logical perspective. Even if we never declare our affiliation to the public, the public will start to recognize that the folks with the red armbands are continually taking steps in their favor, and recognize us as a group just by association. Of course, as soon as they catch on, others probably will too, but there's little I can think of to address that. Short of magic, that is." She thinks thoughtfully about that sentence.

20. - Top - End - #110

Show
    Erasmus smiled. "You know, you should see that elf about your clothes. Not perfect, and you and your clothes would still need washing, but that prestidigitation can do wonders."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-18 at 07:28 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: TIa >>>> Erasmus
    Show
    "So that elf knows magic? Maybe he can help then. Granted, you seem to know a bit about magic too, so maybe you might know something. Do you think it would be possible to create some kind of crest or something with magic that couldn't be copied?"

22. - Top - End - #112

Show
    "I'm sure this must be," says Erasmus. "Why don't you go ask him?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    "Thanks for the advice. I'll talk to you another time, I promise." She smiles cheerfully and starts up away from the man, waving softly as she leaves him behind.

Spoiler: Tia >>>> Meijin
    Show
    Tia approaches Meijin, obviously in a better mood than when they had met the night before. She stops in front of him and addresses him. "Do you have time to talk? I'd like to discuss something with you"

24. - Top - End - #114

Spoiler: Tia >>> Meijen Gim
    Show
    Tia looks up at the elf who stands a full 18' taller than herself. He looks down at her with his gem-like, orange eyes. "Tia, it is. How may I be of service?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Gabby>>>Sclavo
    Show

“How about the “Harlots of Hell’s harbor?” Has a nice ring to it. And a lot of H’s”
    “...no. Wait, I’ve got it! -the suicidal socialist club!”

26. - Top - End - #116

Spoiler: Sclavo >>> Gabby
    Show
    Sclavo gives polite laughter, which comes out like nervous laughter (because it is), and otherwise does his best to extricate himself from continued conversation with the crazy fox-lady. But just as she is shocked to find a rather decent-looking fellow leave her enchanting company ...

Spoiler: Meligaster >>> Gabby
    Show
    ... a dark-haired halfling comes to greet her in his place. The halfling has intense, blue eyes and is surprisingly handsome for his race. He wears once fine clothing that has seen better days. "I don't know what you are, but 'Enthralling' would be as good a title as any, I believe. Meligaster is my name. I've asked around, and they say you're name is Gabriella, is that right? It is such a pleasure to meet you!"

Spoiler: Ermolos >>> Folco
    Show
    An incredibly muscular man with a slight limp approaches Folco at some point. "Hey, I saw you and that old dude talking for awhile. Man, the things the come out of his mouth are crazy. But I don't doubt he knows things. Which got me thinkin'. You and he talked awhile, so maybe you know things, too. You ever hear of Thuvia?"

Spoiler: Ezren >>> Aldo
    Show
    "Excuse me, Mr. Coldvale," asks the oldest man in the rebel encampment. "My name is Ezren. I'm a sage .... occult researcher, historian, naturalist, cosmologist ... and I have to tell you in all of my days I have never seen someone spontaneous generate mystical weaponry like yourself. Do you mind if I interview you?"
    Meanwhile, convos continue with Aldo+Folco and Tia+Meijen ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-19 at 10:22 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Aldo > > > Ezren
    Show
    Aldo smiles. "Sure. Well, first things first, I should let you know that it's not a spell. It's not even magic, strictly speaking. My weapon", He summons a one-handed mind blade for emphasis, "is psionic in nature, meaning it's done through the power of the mind."

28. - Top - End - #118

Spoiler: Ezren >>> Aldo
    Show
    Ezren nods his head with fascination. "I see. Now, I have - rarely - hard that term: psionics. What is psionics? Is it related to psychic magic, simply another term? I don't think so, since I understand Vudran yogis use mind-over-matter abilities from pure willpower, whereas, if I'm not mistaken, psychic magic while likewise being internal, utilizes sometimes similar powers that come from the crossroads of intellectual will, spiritual force, and emotional intensity."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Spoiler: Tia >>> Meijen Gim
    Show
    Tia looks up at the elf who stands a full 18' taller than herself. He looks down at her with his gem-like, orange eyes. "Tia, it is. How may I be of service?"
    Spoiler: Tia >>>> Meijin
    Show
    Tia shrinks back just a moment, realizing just how short she is when compared to this man. After a moment though, she regains her composure and starts speaking. "First, Erasmus told me that you might be able to help me with the smell of my clothes. He mentioned Prestidigitation specifically. Do you think you could help me with that? Second, since you seem to know a thing or two about magic, I wanted to ask you about something in regards to the proposed uniforms. Do you know if it is possible to create a design, probably with magic, that would not be able to be copied by others?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Aldo > > >Ezren
    Show
    Aldo shrugged confusedly. "Maybe? I'll be honest, I've never even heard of this 'psychic magic' before. All I know is that psionics aren't technically magic because the technical aspects of it are different."