New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: RAW questions.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default RAW questions.

I am making a character for a friend of mind who wanted to do something in the lines of a Deadpool and Harley Quinn mix/ The best thing I could think of is something in the mix of rouge, swashbuckler and swordsage. So with that in mind I did some looking and found some things very interesting that might make her character very deadly but I have some questions that been bugging me and wonder if these feats/abilities work by RAW. So here's what I have and I hope those of you on the site can help me out.

1. Daring Outlaw mixed with Feat Rogue
    Feat Rogue sneak attack is replaced with feats as a fighter, but to my understanding you can still get sneak attack because of swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw. Is that true or did I misunderstood something? Also would you go by the fighter's chart for the bounce feats or just when you get rogue sneak attack? Because the way it seems I would get both feats and sneak attack damage as I level with rogue and swashbuckler.

2. Daring outlaw mixed with assassin's stance.
    From what I gather the assassin's stance could be subbed to make up for the +2d6 sneak attack damage or get Daring outlaw, I am having a hard time seeing how that can be and even if you do would you still get more sneak attack without a class progression?

3. Telling Blow.
    Ok so you can add sneak attack damage when you cirt, would that be you can sneak attack two different times at once? One as a normal attack and another when cirt or is it only once altogether?

4. Confound The Big Folk.
    Ok so if anyone is two size bigger they would be consider flat footed, now would that mean in that point I could only attack against flat footed AC or do I have to attack normal AC?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RAW questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellsantal View Post
    I am making a character for a friend of mind who wanted to do something in the lines of a Deadpool and Harley Quinn mix/ The best thing I could think of is something in the mix of rouge, swashbuckler and swordsage. So with that in mind I did some looking and found some things very interesting that might make her character very deadly but I have some questions that been bugging me and wonder if these feats/abilities work by RAW. So here's what I have and I hope those of you on the site can help me out.
    Sure.

1. Daring Outlaw mixed with Feat Rogue
    Feat Rogue sneak attack is replaced with feats as a fighter, but to my understanding you can still get sneak attack because of swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw. Is that true or did I misunderstood something? Also would you go by the fighter's chart for the bounce feats or just when you get rogue sneak attack? Because the way it seems I would get both feats and sneak attack damage as I level with rogue and swashbuckler.
    That one's debatable. It could be argued that swashbuckler levels get you SA as though they were an equal number of levels in the rogue class but you don't get SA from your actual rogue levels because you traded it away. Alternatively, it could be argued that since you traded it away, you don't get any SA from either class. The only way to be sure is to ask your GM but I'd certainly rule in the former case.

2. Daring outlaw mixed with assassin's stance.
    From what I gather the assassin's stance could be subbed to make up for the +2d6 sneak attack damage or get Daring outlaw, I am having a hard time seeing how that can be and even if you do would you still get more sneak attack without a class progression?
    Assassin's stance certainly does qualify you for the feat and swashbuckler still counts as rogue levels for the SA progression but see above. If your GM rules your trading away SA means swasbuckler levels don't progress it then it doesn't matter how you meet the prerequisite, you're not getting the SA. If you're just a straigh-up swashbuckler that used assassin's stance to qualify for the feat then you get extra SA as though you were an equal level rogue but the GM may then declare that you can't take feat rogue.

3. Telling Blow.
    Ok so you can add sneak attack damage when you cirt, would that be you can sneak attack two different times at once? One as a normal attack and another when cirt or is it only once altogether?
    Doubtful. The feat simply adds a new trigger condition for SA. You don't get to double up when you're flanking a flat-footed foe so there's no reason you should get an extra iteration of the damage for a landing a crit in either of those circumstances either.

4. Confound The Big Folk.
    Ok so if anyone is two size bigger they would be consider flat footed, now would that mean in that point I could only attack against flat footed AC or do I have to attack normal AC?
    If they're flat-footed to you then you aim at flat-foot AC. Otherwise that option doesn't accomplish anything for characters who don't have an ability that triggers on flat-foot.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RAW questions.

Daring Outlaw makes your sneak attack that of a standard Rogue whose level is equal to your Rogue plus Swashbuckler levels. It doesn’t care that your Rogue levels don’t grant sneak attack. Yes, it’s not fair because you already traded it away, but it doesn’t give you 9th level spells so it’s still relatively weak.

Feat Rogue gets bonus feats as a Fighter, so one at 1st level and one at every even-numbered level, just like a Fighter.

Assassin’s Stance gives you sneak attack semi-permanently, it lasts until you switch to another stance. You can wear a Headband of Intellect to quality for Combat Expertise, this is basically the same thing. Once you have Daring Outlaw, if it gives you at least 2d6 sneak attack you don’t even need to stay in that stance, it meets its own prerequisite.

I don’t think Telling Blow allows you to add your sneak attack damage to the same attack twice. It just adds it to a crit if you weren’t already sneak attacking.

Flat footed opponents don’t get their Dex bonus to AC unless they have Uncanny Dodge or similar. You can also put marbles or metal ball bearings in a folded cloth and ready it as a weapon like object. Quick draw it as a free action, drop it in an adjacent square as a free action, and whoever is in that square is immediately balancing. If they don’t have at least five ranks in the Balance skill, they’re considered flat footed while balancing.