The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: [D&D 3.P] Hunters of the World Scar - closed to new interest

@Lord Foul
    Just missed it when updating the table, probably. It got kind of large.
    Could you post a new link for me?

@Ancient
    Partially charged wands are fine.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrann View Post
    @Alucard
    Could you stop doing that?
    This is like the third time you've been all territorial towards other players.
    It's getting really old, really fast.

You're probably going to think I'm some emotional [insert swear word] for this, but whatever:
    GMs are people too, and I run this because I think it's fun. That means ideally I'm looking for people who would be fun to talk to OOC, as well as run a game for IC.
    Your being territorial like this just sets off all sorts of alarm bells for me.
    I'm not even sure what i did this time. All I meant was that he missed the deadline, and that we had so many people interested already that it wasn't likely he was going to get a special exception. I was even trying to be friendly about how I said it.
    I'm either available to respond or asleep. it's basically a 50/50 chance, no matter the hour, no matter the day.

3. - Top - End - #273

@Lord Foul
    Just missed it when updating the table, probably. It got kind of large.
    Could you post a new link for me?

@Ancient
    Partially charged wands are fine.
    My bad I had edited the initial post instead of making another one.

Basically I want to give the malefex class an archetype from another class.

Soulknives can get low level manifesting of powers by giving up their psychic strike class feature. It's called gifted blade in case you aren't familiar.

I want to apply that to the malefex and have them give up their wrack feature which is a similar offensive feature to psychic strike(well psychic strike is more damage dice, and wrack is just straight up solid bonuses that go up to +5 to attack and your wisdom stat to damage). Would be willing to give up Schadenfreude and Sublime Schadenfreude to make this baby work. Also now that I think about it would be cool to be able to get a psicrystal instead of familiar with that familiar knock(knocks are like rogue talents). The Malefex already has some psionic/psychic fluff and abilities incorporated into, I just want to expand on that slightly and have weak powers that makes my character still seem like one of the new breed of empowered people.

My character is pretty much already done so most of this would just be changes going forward. Core concept is a muscle rogue, hopefully with some utility added on with that archetype instead of just straight up in combat stuff. Hoping you will see this as a better trade off than the homebrew I was asking for at first.

4. - Top - End - #274

@Tyrann You missed me off the table. On a related note, this is my (WIP) character. He's an elemental themed meleer, whose attacks use blasts of avatar-style magic power rather than conventional weapons; he also has a good amount of randomness built into his combat style. Backstory is more or less worked out, but not yet written.

I'm also still waiting for an answer to my question regarding Scatter Power. I think. This thread is very fast moving and I might have just missed it?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Small question:
    Are you anticipating this to be the style of game where we need to track common items, carry capacity, etc?

I am considering gear, but do not really have enough funds to get anything significantly magical.
    Can I set aside 100gp and say the character has generic adventuring gear?

He does not need weapons or armor, and magical items are at best +Ac or to Saves. I would rather keep the funds in reserve.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novabomb View Post
    Small question:
    Are you anticipating this to be the style of game where we need to track common items, carry capacity, etc?

I am considering gear, but do not really have enough funds to get anything significantly magical.

He does not need weapons or armor, and magical items are at best +Ac or to Saves. I would rather keep the funds in reserve.
    It should be noted that in this game we can buy many common armour or talisman enchantment and have them represent time and money spent training if that interests you.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #277

Default Re: [D&D 3.P] Hunters of the World Scar

@Justyn
    While I do like the concept, I'm going to have to say no to Dvati as a PC race (in any version). Sorry.
    The "one mind two bodies" thing is something that I was hoping to play around with; is there any way to make it work even if it doesn't have much in the way of mechanical benefits?

edit: Thinking on it, would the Academic Priest feat from the book Legend of the Twins be acceptable to take?
    Last edited by Justyn; 2019-12-08 at 09:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278

Could my halfling elementalist please add the elemental languages to his list of racial options? It seems more appropriate to choose them than the normal racial options...

Also, would it be possible to petition for Speak Language to be made a background skill, or have you already judged it to be too useful for that?
    Last edited by pi4t; 2019-12-07 at 07:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279

this what got so far for brute the raging magitech templar about 85 percent complete

10. - Top - End - #280
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Foul View Post
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2072542

ok Hanna is finally done
    this is my second time using her, the first time was a Wrath of The Righteous game where she was a sorcerer/magus (bladed scarf dancer)
    this time she's a little less focused on arcane power and more focused on "am dragon".

I'd love feedback from the other players, espicially on the little bit of backstory I put in the sheet towards the bottom.

Regarding her party niche, Hanna is a bit of a jack of all trades with guaranteed knowledge rolls, She can do AOE dps with spells and breath weapon, she can fight in melee with her defensive spells, claws and tail (and eventually bite) She can tank with Aura of Vitality and her relatively massive HP total, she can provide support with her auras, and that 18 charisma is handy for social skills.
    Just gonna repost the post where I posted it the first time! :)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just a quick post to say I'm still attentive to this thread.

Regarding collaboration on backstory: I like the idea of doing that, though negotiating out any specific past interactions and determining the relationship might be best waited on unless to see who's picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

12. - Top - End - #282

Default Re: [D&D 3.P] Hunters of the World Scar

@D&DPrinceTandem
    I like the pitch. Let's see the homebrew :)
    @Tyrann
    Thank you!...he he, well the homebrew... its only one but...its huge...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xenotheurgy. :)
    With a couple requested changes (to make it easier on both of us). Make it so I only gain more Murmurs (and by proxy Incursions/Disturbances) though actual findings and roleplay in game. The four I plan to be starting with is:
    ([Format] Murmur: Incursion: Disturbance Description[/Format])
    Called from Nothing: Fractured World: the world within range seems a bit like a shattered mirror, all angles and lines are disconnected and broken
    Endless Evolution: Tune of Madness: a barely audible alien melody plays through the area
    Space Between Stars(doesn't actually have any breaches lol): Space Between Stars: creatures in the area looking up at the sky see a slightly different image from those on the outside
    Unbalanced Scales: Unearthly Weather: whenever two creatures within range make contact with each other, both can hear a heartbeat (even if neither creature possesses a pulse).
    Waking Dream: Empty Eons: all voices seem to gain an echo in the area

I understand if this is to abstract to fit in the campaign or its too much to read through for one player so I have been brewing up an alternate character (which also uses only one Homebrew request (thankfully smaller lol) that would be more compatible with the standard theme of Dnd.

Spoiler: The Alternate
    Show
    Spoiler: The Request
    Show

The Lord of Goldshire, among the closest civil lands near the World Scar, was a good man but his attendants where among the most vile nobles of the current lifetime; due to this the people who where out of the lords sight but still in the domain where treated horridly when compared to the people. So when the good lord died of the savage sickness there was a mix of hope and fear that arose in the serfs. Some thought the heir would be deeply influenced by the evil attendants, few thought he would pass the leadership onto one of them -typical of noble children-, fewer held on to hopes that he would follow in his fathers footsteps. The Heir, Lord Ferion Goldshire The Second, knew of the horrors his fathers eyes didn't see and he sought to do better than his father. He was 18 when he took hold of the power of the land; and little did the nobles know, his blood was awakening, blood that could be tracked back to the Golden dragons of ages Yore.

Delmora Willowheart came from the commoners most common uprising, daughter of a Blacksmith in a small town on the outskirts of the Goldshire domain. Life was hard, but not too hard for Delmora's family. This was until Delmora began to show signs of being an Esper. An Esper was a new mythical rumor that had risen in recent years. It described a return of mystical powers that existed thousands of years ago. It had shown when Delmora -she was 14 at the time- was attacked by muggers on the way home. Her Ether had shown through a knife she always kept in her boot.. just incase.. She drew it against them and its blade emitted a soft blue light. Its edge became honed and when she swiped at her pursues she could have sworn it just nicked his chest but the blood that exploded outwards was as if he was struck by a longsword in perfect angle. Now it was Law to send any with signs of having an Esper to Goldshrine, the capital, to be evaluated. Her parents where wary but the, humble folk, let Delmora decide. She was indecisive, she didn't want to leave them as she was their only daughter, but she also had the inner urge to make a difference in the world with her new found power. They said they would give her two years to decide. She practiced Her powers within this year, honing her mind heart and soul into her Esper. The two years passed quickly.

The big day had arrived, the day I was to decide if I should stay or go, Espers had become a proven phenomena lately and the Laws became more strict around them. Now mother and father would be publicly hung if the Law found out that they where harboring a Esper and hadn't reported them. I know now it was either leave and be alone knowing that they would be safe or stay and live in fear of mother and father being sentenced to death because of me. I know am wasn't ready to be alone in the world but so to know I could never be the cause of their demise. So tonight when they call me for supper I know what answer she would give them. The Supper never came, the decision was never made. I was on my way home when I noticed something had spooked Respice, mothers horse. I calmed the Stallion and entered, it was quiet and the coals where cooling, worse the place was trashed, I went to mothers and fathers room. The first sense was the smell of death, mother lay on the cott, blood oozing from a wound in her abdomen, she was pale and I fell to my knees next to her, she weakly clasped the side of my head and a clasped her arm
    "What happened here?" I asked with worry "Where is father?"
    She smiled and with a whispered voice, "Don't worry of your father, he fights so you can escape, take Respice and flee."
    My face whitened to match hers. "No i have to helpt him, please tell me where..." Mothers eyes began to close and she drew in one strong breath "Please Delmore, promise me you will leave immediately and never return, your father loves you and is sacrificing himself for you, please promise me you will not let us die in vein. You must live, You must promise me."
    My voice quivered, tears running down my face "I..I am scared...Yes I..I Promise..but if I see him I will not stop to save him..."
    Mother nodded and closed her eyes completely, "You have a strong beautiful soul Delmora, I love..", a final breath escaping her lovely lips.
    I shook and cried for several minutes; when finally finished I placed placed her in her bed and wrapped her in her sheets. I numbly gathered supplied for a long trip, then set Respice. Grabbed a few valuables from her room, then left, on last look into her mothers room. She then set out hastely for Goldshrine. She never ran into her father, nor has she heard of him, his demise or his confirmed life. It took nearly a week to make it to Goldshrine, when she arrived she formulated a plan.. Hopefully. She had learned the Both the attack on her home and the death of the King had happened on the same day.

After a month of living in Goldshrine she found the proper connections to learn about the Espers, they where being trained by the military in warrior combat, she went to enlist and was initially denied but when she pulled blade on the officer and it began to glow blue there was little denial. The Esper Training consist of vigorous physcial work out, mental overloading, and emotionally breaking. Delmora was strong in the later two but lacking in the body department, yea she was the daughter of a Blacksmith but this didn't compare to the grown Knights that where her trainers. There where five Espers who trained along side her, Kelly, Laren, Gregory, Anastasia, and Kyr. They where all around her age and had a wide array of powers. Kelly had manifested the power to increase his own size twofold with a moments thought, Anastasia held powers of divine magic that could close the most grievous of wounds but the unquestionable strongest of the six was Kyr. Kyr could do a wide array of things, from increasing his awareness into the future with perfect recollection of his enemies attacks before his enemies even knew what they where going to do, To strike with such precision and speed that his target was sure to be destroyed, to even conjuring an artifact blade bound to his very soul on nothing.
    Anastasia and Kyr where lovers and Laren was his brother. The others where less powerful but still notable in combat prowess, they had all come when they turned 10, with the acception of Gregory, who was a nobles son and his esper, arcane prowess, arising at birth.
    A peculiar event that happened every now and then was The Lord, the younger one, would visit every now and then and run an evaluation on the Espers. He seemed particularly found of Delmora. They began meeting in private and trading stories, becoming close friends and knowledgeable allies. This relationship would become paramount to Delmora's actions {aka, why she is going into the World Scar}

After nearly Two years of living training Delmora was ready for graduation, becoming a full fledge Esper Knight of Goldshire. More Espers had arose in the years and Delmora rose in the power ranks of the Espers, second to be more exact. Kyr still was the strongest and seemed to progress faster than anyone of this age could imagine. Delmora and Kyr where at odds often and after graduation had mutually agreed to stay away from each if possible. The Ceremony was quite large, hosted by the Lord Ferion himself. Afterwards he spoke to Delmora privately, informed her that he had a mission for her specifically, it would take place in 2 months; This mission was an expedition into the World Scar for retrieving of artifacts and knowledge. Ferion was too constricted by the attendants to send a large force into the World Scar and his coffers where too small -he had already been redistributing wealth among the people-to fund any paid adventures. He believed that Delmora was strong enough and trained enough to make it there and back with enough items to rekindle his coffers. After this he also informed her of a secret, that he was also an Esper. He embedded into her mind the image of a powerful sleeping gold dragon, his reincarnated soul. She understood this secret and accepted the quest. The Reward agreed upon was a Keep at Goldshire's border near the World Scar.

Now she as road an Airship into the Scar in search of knowledge, treasure and adventure. A hardened mind, toughened flesh and honed soul ready to pursue the great unknown.

Edit: I swear I thought I cast Conjure lesser background, not Wall of text, I apologize. :p
    Last edited by D&DPrinceTandem; 2019-12-08 at 12:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I proudly proclaim myself The Godking of Psionics, disagree? lets talk about it.

Shocki, Dom's Pet Dragons (10 of em)

Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    Can I sig the Lmao Yee btw?
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    It should be noted that in this game we can buy many common armour or talisman enchantment and have them represent time and money spent training if that interests you.
    Oh, I overlooked that bit of the house rules, thanks for pointing it out.
    I will go with a +1 Resistance, and save the rest. (Still need an answer on the adventuring kit though)

14. - Top - End - #284

NecromancerGuy

Still need an answer on the adventuring kit though
    You do still need to handle things like food and water while we're in The Scar, according to the GM.
    I'm either available to respond or asleep. it's basically a 50/50 chance, no matter the hour, no matter the day.

15. - Top - End - #285

Small question:

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard 109 View Post
    You do still need to handle things like food and water while we're in The Scar, according to the GM.
    Little note: Packrat is a good feat to pick up Dragon Mag #354. It has the Wedded to history prereq but you can request that to be wavered due to the general use of the feat.
    Basically what is does is let you carry around 10gp per lvl of stuff that you write down as "Adventuring gear", when you use something it and its equivalent price leaves the "Adventuring gear" category and becomes an actual item, Replenish with an 8 hr shopping spree
    Spoiler
    Show
    I proudly proclaim myself The Godking of Psionics, disagree? lets talk about it.

NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Pathfinder has Brilliant Planner, and a few others.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

I've finally nailed down enough of the character to put together a pitch:

Simric Avramadhi is a distant and lesser cousin of the ruling family Haximones in the city of Eshrav, which sprawls across both sides of a strategically important strait. His limited affinity for magic gave him a somewhat privileged childhood and an excellent early education, but he left that life behind when the distant and storied draconic heritage of the Haximones began to manifest and he grew worried his changes would be discovered. He has spent the last few years working his way across the continent as a deck hand on various airships, using assumed names and moving on from a crew if anyone seemed too interested in his past or he slipped in his act. Now hundreds of miles from his home and family, he has resumed the use of his given name, believing himself to be too far from Eshrav for his name or past to have any significance. Always taking care to hide the emerging signs of his mixed ancestry, he seeks to make a name for himself among the Hunters. He hopes that he will make a reputation and allies with weight enough to stand with him when his secret is eventually uncovered, or the knowledge and power to ensure his continued freedom if they do not.

This is just the Cliff Notes version, to get the idea across and see if you thought it was a reasonable fit for your world. I was kind of seeing the return of the Dragons as a natural consequence of the return of magic but without existing dragons to produce them, they would come about in unexpected ways.

Is this a character worth pursuing or do you think I should go back to the drawing board?
    Last edited by Paralynx; 2019-12-08 at 10:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Paralynx View Post
    I've finally nailed down enough of the character to put together a pitch:

Simric Avramadhi is a distant and lesser cousin of the ruling family Haximones in the city of Eshrav, which sprawls across both sides of a strategically important strait. His limited affinity for magic gave him a somewhat privileged childhood and an excellent early education, but he left that life behind when the distant and storied draconic heritage of the Haximones began to manifest and he grew worried his changes would be discovered. He has spent the last few years working his way across the continent as a deck hand on various airships, using assumed names and moving on from a crew if anyone seemed too interested in his past or he slipped in his act. Now hundreds of miles from his home and family, he has resumed the use of his given name, believing himself to be too far from Eshrav for his name or past to have any significance. Always taking care to hide the emerging signs of his mixed ancestry, he seeks to make a name for himself among the Hunters. He hopes that he will make a reputation and allies with weight enough to stand with him when his secret is eventually uncovered, or the knowledge and power to ensure his continued freedom if they do not.

This is just the Cliff Notes version, to get the idea across and see if you thought it was a reasonable fit for your world. I was kind of seeing the return of the Dragons as a natural consequence of the return of magic but without existing dragons to produce them, they would come about in unexpected ways.

Is this a character worth pursuing or do you think I should go back to the drawing board?
    backstory wise it seems reasonable to me but I am not the gm, what race & classes are you thinking of?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Mechanically I was thinking Draconic templated Human Evolutionist//Runesinger Fighter (its a Spheres of Might archetype that's on the spheres wikidot site, but not the d20pfsrd, I'd link it but I don't yet have enough posts). He wouldn't really have dedicated casting, but I was leaning toward using Evolutionist SLA's and the Spheres feats Basic Magical Training and Advanced Magical Training to reflect some minor spellcasting.

20. - Top - End - #290

Anyone know if there's a feat to dip into Evolutionist's mutations without taking a single level dip into it?
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2019-12-08 at 12:26 PM.
    My posting may be slowed due to graduation and the job search.

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Anyone know if there's a feat to dip into Evolutionist's mutations without taking a single level dip into it?
    Have 1 RHD and take any Mutator feat. Thats all i can think of
    Spoiler
    Show

NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

22. - Top - End - #292

SamuraiGirl

So as it looks now I’d be a Batal Rajah 3 || Living Weapon Armorist 2 / Stalker 1

Someone awoke the primal magic of warrior-kings, and now they are forging their own legend on the world. And having their own, intangible servants to succor those they travel with in the scar.

So the request for this would be an archetype to the Spheres of Power Armorist, the Living Weapon, that sadly does not seem to be on the d20pfsrd site yet (because d20pfsrd has an immense backlog on adding things to the site). Would this be ok?
    I'm able to post ICly at least once every other day, depending on my current schedule, if not more.

Extended Signature (doubles as a memorial over characters from games long since passed).

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by EdinoiZ View Post
    So as it looks now I’d be a Batal Rajah 3 || Living Weapon Armorist 2 / Stalker 1

Someone awoke the primal magic of warrior-kings, and now they are forging their own legend on the world. And having their own, intangible servants to succor those they travel with in the scar.

So the request for this would be an archetype to the Spheres of Power Armorist, the Living Weapon, that sadly does not seem to be on the d20pfsrd site yet (because d20pfsrd has an immense backlog on adding things to the site). Would this be ok?
    Your link isn't working. Here's a fixed one.

That said, Tyrann gave a blanket OK to anything spheres provided it isn't obviously broken and you break down how it works.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2019-12-08 at 04:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

I don't know if my custom traditions counted as my second piece of homebrew, but I'd like to float the idea of making a bloodline based on the Evolutionist fluffed as a driving force on why so many so many newborns in the magic generation may suddenly display new features.
    My posting may be slowed due to graduation and the job search.

25. - Top - End - #295

Zombie

@angelpalm
    Trade is approved. You can keep Schadenfreude.
    Psicrystal trade is also ok

@pi4t
    Whoops, sorry. Thanks for the link. Added you to the table in the OP.
    For scatter power: go with your second interpretation.
    Fine with both language requests. But, you need exposure to a language before you can learn it.

@Novabomb
    It kind of depends. If your strength is so high carry weight will never be an issue, you don't need to track it. But if you dumped str, I do expect you to track encumbrance.
    And I do expect you to track your food and water while in the World Scar.
    You can set the 100g aside, but that will probably mean that I make a bundle of actual items for you after the game starts. Because otherwise this could get a little too flexible for its budget.

@Justyn
    One mind two bodies is a very cool trope, but it just doesn't work in 3.5 as a PC character. Not at level 3 in any way that can't be horribly abused, at least. And while I realize you don't intend to abuse it, that doesn't mean your party might not get creative at some point.
    So it's a hard no. I'm sorry.
    Academic priest is approved.

@Lord Foul
    Thank you for the link! And sorry I missed it the first time. Added Hanna to the table in the OP.

@D&DPrinceTandem
    After a quick skim, I don't see anything that immediately stands out as being broken with Xenotheurgy.
    Tell you what: allowed under a gentleman's agreement that you don't try to smuggle in any infinite loops etc, and I'll read the whole thing thoroughly if your character gets selected.
    Alternatively, your conjured wall of text makes for a pretty interesting backstory too.
    So I'm fine with either. Up to you.

@Paralynx
    Definitely an interesting character. I'd say go for it.
    The only thing I would make sure to add though, is why the emerging signs of draconic heritage would be a cause for Simric to flee.
    Because as you said, it is known that the family has draconic blood, right?

@EdinoiZ
    What pi4t said is correct. But just for good measure, living weapon is approved.

@QuadraticGish
    Bloodline would conflict with lore already in place. So going to have to turn that one down, sorry.

26. - Top - End - #296

But, you need exposure to a language before you can learn it.
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean I should justify (in backstory) why I know the languages I do?

I'm planning on using the "traumatic superpower awakening" trope to explain Aedan's magic (or, more accurately, to explain how he unlocked it - I'm going to leave the question of why he actually has it as a mystery for you to use or ignore as you wish). At a critical moment in his backstory, he suddenly got the ability to summon blasts of elemental power and manipulate the elements. Could I say that his powers came with instinctive knowledge of the elemental languages? (Obviously I'd pay for them with skill points mechanically, this would just be fluff).
    Last edited by pi4t; 2019-12-08 at 06:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies in advance for the wall of text that is to follow!

Presenting Licyre Tenzyeva, Bane of Magic
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Licyre is a tall, pretty woman, but her beauty is offset by the massive scar that stretches from temple to jawbone on the right side of her face. She usually wears commoner’s clothes, but subtle discrepancies in the way she holds herself and the way she walks mark her as of noble birth. In contrast to the rest of her skin, her hands are rough and callused from her swordplay practice.
    Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Licyre is quiet and yet filled with emotions. Before her fateful incident, she was much more outgoing and care-free; since then, she has grown rigid and stoic. It’s hard to provoke any sort of reaction from her, but she bears an open dislike of those who use their powers flippantly and without regard for others. At night, she’ll sometimes unwind and meditate while looking at the stars. If you asked her, she couldn’t tell you why, but a quiet, starry night helps her focus and relax.
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Licyre, was born into the noble house of Tenzyeva as their first magical child. Her parents, lord and lady of one of the richest noble houses that exists, wouldn’t have sold her for the world. A child with magical potential had so much more potential to boost the standing of their house than mere money did. By the age of 5 she had already mastered the basics of psionics, her innate magical prowess aided by the devil’s blood flowing through her veins. Her parents were loving but aloof; they saw her and her magic as an opportunity to capitalize off of as much as they saw her as their daughter. She was schooled in the comfort of her own home, as her parents would hire tutors to teach her to read, to write, and everything else that she would learn in school. This relative isolation, along with being an only child, meant that Licyre was often bored. When this happened, she often entertained herself with magic, playing catch with herself using telekinesis and using force shields to run around in the rain while staying dry. Soon, magic had become as simple as breathing.

As Licyre grew older and more fascinated with her magic, she began to harbor a desire to explore the World Scar, both to see just what it was like and to seek out artifacts, holy ruins, ancient druidic circles— anything that might increase her mastery of magic. At 16, her parents hired a professional explorer and warrior to teach her swordplay and survival skills. Her tutor, a young human named Zachariah, was strong, smart, funny, and young. She was instantly smitten. Zachariah wasn’t from a noble family, but his father was a renowned swordsman and one of the first to recover a functioning magical artifact, the legendary electrokinetic spear now known as Stormsplitter. The two of them soon struck up a relationship, and it was the happiest Licyre had ever been. After six months of training and practice, Licyre asked her parents if she could lead an expedition to the World Scar. They assigned her a small squad of their family’s forces, and she planned to leave the next morning. That evening, Zachariah, who had heard of her expedition, asked her if he could accompany them, and she happily agreed.

It took the 12 of them— Licyre, Zachariah, and the ten soldiers with them— a day and a half to reach the edge of the World Scar. They set up camp for the evening, then entered the Scar the next morning, and later that afternoon came across the ruins of a building that had more residual magic leaking out of it than anything she had ever sensed before. The twelve of them had been clearing off rubble for some time when Licyre started to grow annoyed with the slow pace of how long things were taking. Zachariah had told her, earlier, that using magic in the World Scar could have unpredictable effects, but in a moment of hubris and overconfidence, Licyre disregarded his warning, motioning the soldiers nearest to the largest rock to move away. Zachariah noticed what she was doing just a second too late, only having time to should “NO!” before Licyre telekinetically moved the rock out of the way. When nothing happened for a second or two, Zachariah began to say “well, we got lu-”, when everything flashed white, then red, then faded to black as Licyre fell unconscious.

An indeterminate amount of time later, Licyre awoke. Aside from a few minor pains and a slight burning sensation on her face, she was unhurt. Looking around, she let out a gasp of horror as she saw what had happened to the rest of her party. Something, likely a side effect of her magic’s interaction with the ruins, had seared the flesh off of the bones of everyone else, as they had all been standing closer to the rock than she had been. Bile rose in her throat as she saw that the body nearest to where Zachariah had been standing had one arm extended towards her, as if he had been trying to touch her one last time before he died. Licyre fled the ruins, but she couldn’t bear to see her parents after what had happened. She bought some commoner’s clothes and cut her hair, disguising herself as a stranger as she decided what to do in the next few days. She made up her mind the next morning. First, she swore off magic forever. She had taken her talents for granted, and they had become her hubris. Next, she snuck back into her house, making off with the money that she had kept in her room, disappearing from her parents’ life for good. Later that week, her parents received a letter from the Hunters stating that Licyre had gone missing. Unbeknownst to them, Licyre had forged it, mostly to keep her parents from asking about her. Over the next two years, Licyre did two things of note: she forged herself a new sword, longer and more dangerous than any she had owned before, and she scoured the land for as much information as she could about magic— and how to combat it. It took her a while, but eventually she found an old, forgotten tome in a crumbling library which described the physical makeup of spells, and explained that, with proper technique and a blade, one could “cut” a spell out of existence by severing it from the magical energies that fuel the spell.

Armed with this knowledge and her new sword, Licyre joined the Hunters. She was often assigned to jobs that dealt with dangerous magical artifacts or locations, due to her signature anti-magic techniques. Her most recent assignment was to scope out and eliminate the threat from an ancient ruin that was apparently attracting undead. She packed her bags, hit the metaphorical road, and headed for Hirane Frontier.
    Chaotic Good, probably

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Follow up question: it is typical to put a limit on the value of items purchasable relative to total wealth. (Generally 50%- 25%). Is that the case here? I am interested in grabbing a ring of sustenance to forgo having to deal with tracking of rations and such.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Everful mug and everlasting rations 550 for both and that keeps you fed and watered spotlessly.
    Ring does cut down on sleep though.
    I'm not feeling conquery.
    Status Update:
    Girlfriend didn't pay internet, very slow for next little bit.

30. - Top - End - #300

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    Ring does cut down on sleep though.
    Speaking of, since I've got elf traits, no spells, and good spot and listen modifiers, I'm probably going to be having a lot of guard duty shifts of i make it in to the final party
    Last edited by Alucard 109; 2019-12-09 at 03:10 AM.