1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Empire!] The Trial of Brez Y'ett

The Trial of Transcendence Division Head Brez Y'ett

Hendursag
    Ninurtin
    Malak
    Maturin Sector

The Temple of Hendursag had been built on its eponymous moon as the supreme court in the Empire centuries earlier, but its venerable courtrooms had never heard a case quite like this.

While some reporters had been admitted, the public gallery was closed, for the sake of maintaining decorum in the court. Instead, and by historic compromise, proceedings would be exhaustively recorded and distributed live. Raw footage was made available to all Stellar Powers (or their representative broadcasters) for local editing.

The parties sit facing the judges, who are seated on a raised bench. To the judges' left is the witness box; to the right the press area. The jury box is unused.

The Law, and the Charges

No particularised charge sheet has yet been presented. The defendant is currently being held on charges of treason. If further charges are to be alleged, the Prosecution should present them at the outset.

(The entity against which treason is alleged is the Empire, in its capacity as universal monarchy, but more specifically the Empire as it embodies the general commonwealth and rule of law in the galaxy.

The standard of proof for criminal charges is “beyond reasonable doubt”. For legal violations that are not criminal in nature, the standard of proof is the balance of probabilities (i.e. more likely than not). The burden of proof on each point rests with the party making it.

For each charge, the prosecution will be required to prove:
    1. That the accused did the act alleged
    2. That the act in question was either wrong in itself, or a breach of a legal duty or prohibition
    3. If specific damage or consequences of an act are alleged, that the act caused the damage or consequences in question
    4. The extent of any such damage

The prosecution may also be required to demonstrate (where not self-evident) that the acts alleged go above and beyond what can be expected from the normal and reasonable execution of foreign policy by an autonomous Stellar Power.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The process is intended to be a simplified version of Anglo-American proceedings, for the sake of familiarity.

On point (2) in the above list, the distinction is that acts which are inherently wrong, or mala in se, like murder, are inherently wrong. Acts which are mala prohibita, like trespass, are wrong because the law says they are.

For anyone seeking to take the point, “legal” in this sense includes equity.

Given that there is no extant body of Imperial statute law to refer to, to determine whether things are mala prohibita, I suspect that the majority of fruitful argument will be over mala in se allegations.

However and for the purposes of argument, if it is a common-law crime in 21st-century English law, it is also likely to be a crime in Imperial law. The following are, specifically, not crimes in the Empire:
    • Vagrancy
    • Jaywalking
    • Possession of a weapon
    • Illegal drug use
    • Attempted suicide
    • Gambling
    • Fraternization (absent other specific charges)
    • Prostitution

It seems unlikely that any of these will come up.

Presentation

This is a novel and important case, subject to extraordinary conditions, and consequently some of the stricter procedural rules designed to expedite the implementation of justice will be suspended.

The prosecution may make its case, and the defence answer. The prosecution may then reply to the defence, and the defence make a rejoinder. This will continue until either the parties have made all their arguments that they so wish, or the judges call for an end to submissions. At that point each side may present its closing argument.

As there are no written submissions, parties are encouraged to present their entire case at the outset of proceedings, to ensure that all points are heard and have a chance to be considered.

Judges may ask questions of either party, for the purposes of clarification.

Either party may call witnesses, or submit hard evidence, as part of the presentation of their case. The opposing party will have the opportunity to ask questions of the witnesses. Again, parties are encouraged to present witnesses early.

Spoiler: OOC timings
    Show
    Until the end of the first weekend it seems sensible to allow the parties as much time as they need to present and answer points, as this is when most of the substantive argument is likely to be done. However, during the second week of the round and to keep things moving I suggest a 24-hour rolling deadline where if a party has not provided its response to a question or taken an opportunity to reply, they waive their right to reply on that issue and we move on to the next “phase”.

Hopefully by that stage we will be able to move on to closing arguments anyway.

As a point of pure practicality, I have an unavoidable and appropriate commitment on Friday 13th December which will take me out of town for the weekend. I will take relevant hardware with me so that I can respond, but my availability from Thursday evening onwards will be limited.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-12-01 at 05:48 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Empire!] The Trial of Brez Y'ett

The eyes of Brez's host, a "lobster" from the Atlantean Expanse, were closed. The large dark red chitinous form bereft of clothing but for its natural armor, born K'k'Lid of Westcurrent Colony, was a relatively new host but Brez had long since mastered the integration of his mind with that of his hosts. Now K'k'Lid was Brez and Brez was K'k'Lid. Brez sat silently as his mind cascaded out through the courtroom within the Temple of Hendursag touching the assembled, mostly angered, minds of the galactic constituency who had convened to attempt and pass judgment upon him for his role leading UPT to its current understanding of the universe. The assembled minds were so small, so petty in their concerns. They amused Brez with their presumed authority.

Once again the Symbraum's mind slipped back to that moment of ecstatic connection between itself and the wonders of the Caller AI called Efficiency. The Spiral Dancers had facilitated that moment and echoes of their psionic energies rattled loose at the edges of Brez's mind as the memory resurfaced but at the forefront, undeniable in presence, were what appeared in Brez's minds eye to be four banners furled tight along poles each representing the four power phrases Brez had come to possess through his and the Spiral Dancers efforts. With these Brez could save his brethren from the repression of brutes and worriers more concerned with stopping others from accomplishment than accomplishing their own deeds of note. With a thought these banners could unfurl with their message to Efficiency. Cast the Federated Churches into the maw of a space-hungry rival? With a thought it could be done. Compress an empire into a single corner unable to touch that which they did not already own? By Brez's will alone it could be accomplished.

Brez had to wonder just what Star League and the other busy bodies of Axiom expected to accomplish with this trial. The Federated Churches had been ready to close to the throat of UPT, an impotent move all its own given Brez's newfound power, but their Vilari handlers agreeing to broker suspension of war once the Ninurtines were involved had only made Brez's accomplishments all the sweeter. There were voices within UPT who believed Brez's activities had drawn too much attention too soon but the charismatic psion still held much sway among his brethren and his success in averting war and accepting sole responsibility for UPT's actions under his leadership at this trial had only bought him greater influence back home. While those assembled here would no doubt call Brez a villain the Symbraum saw in him a hero. A mind so powerful it had mastered psionics to a degree surpassing the old Kamasati masters and an accomplished chronomancer steeped in the studies of Zrvesiiv-Zel Voolr, The Light of Eternity. Now ferryman across the Second Revolution with means to help or harm entire species and collectives in their next journey among the stars.

Brez had shared his visions of the galaxy with members of UPT leadership. He had shown them in their own minds Axiom's complex patterns of life, time, thought, and death misconstrued by those composing them as means and answers within themselves. He suspected he would hear from the perspective of the blind that he could not see and he braced himself to overlook the irksome small mindedness of his would-be judges. So many retained an earthbound consciousness obsessed with the material world as they perceived it and reacting with horror to what they could not understand. The truth was obvious to Brez. The lives sacrificed to achieve the cosmic understanding he and other Symbraum now possessed were insignificant, even cheap, in their cost for such advanced knowledge. While Brez was not yet confident to declare Symbraum equals to the Callers he was confident they were further along than any other species Maturated by Guardian. They had now adopted a cosmic scale of mind. An understanding of the galaxy that did not rely upon terrestrial concerns and tittering over individual lives. Life was plentiful in Axiom and as a means to manipulate the cosmic forces it was by far the cheapest means to enact real change upon a galactic scale. Perhaps some could be lead to understand this. Perhaps. For now the master of mind, time, and space would wait to hear what the assembled wished to cast upon his brow as charges in the court of Ninurtine.

Spoiler: Visual of Brez's host
    Show

Last edited by Reggiejam; 2019-12-03 at 03:34 PM.
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The prosecutor was next to enter the court, a Vilari of pale mint hue, encounter suit alive with a cascade of silver light. Hestyn-Vrex was a Seer of the Council, a moderate, and well regarded in the Star League. He stood at the too-small table of the prosecution, eyes locked on the judges' bench rather than the monster alongside him. He had some misgivings that the Symbraum might try to capitalize on its audience of billions with some grand gesture, but the transparency lent the proceedings a legitimacy he could scarcely deny.

Eventually, the sound of steel striking stone resounded across the courtroom, as the bailiff announced the arrival of the judges. Luminaries of the Ninurtines, Droccen, Duenem, Geleans, and Vilari filtered onto the bench, followed by a pair of guards holding sturdy stands bristling with screeching crystals. The psionic dampeners were deposited on either side of the accused, and as the guards stepped away the Vilari judge stood. Sildyr-Quast was a Seer as well, the most vocal militant in the Vilari government - his presence left little doubt as to the Sodality's view of the accused.

<Brez Y'ett, you have been brought before us due to extraordinary circumstances. Thanks to the wisdom of the Ninurtine Empire, you are to be judged according to the rule of law, rather than the fortunes of war. And as you are judged, so shall your government be judged. You stand accused of acts of galactic terrorism, grand theft, reckless endangerment, conspiracy, crimes against sentients, and genocide. How do you plead?>

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #4

Vilari as prosecutor and judge accompanied only by humans and one token robot? For a "galactic" panel the judges certainly seemed to fit a rather strict mold. The presence of the screeching crystals was an irritant and Brez could feel their radiation thrumming towards a deep migraine at the back of his thoughts. Still, he didn't suspect this panel of jurors would look kindly on his request not to have the equivalent to noxious fumes and pepper spray blaring into his senses and his mind was strong enough to look beyond the haze the crystals laid upon him. They did nothing to disrupt the four phrases in their solidity within the Symbraum's mind's eye and it was on them he concentrated to center his thoughts as he listened to the Vilari's list of charges.

"To the charge of Grand Theft we plead Guilty, Your Honor. To the charges of galactic terrorism, reckless endangerment, conspiracy, crimes against sentients, and genocide we plead Not Guilty, your Honor."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Duenem judge looked incredibly jagged compared to it's many sleek brethren. It's metal plating was incredibly old and worn, covered with flecks of rust. It had two blood red diodes to evoke eyes, and stood upon six legs. It's two graspers were far smaller and delicate than a Duen of it's size usually had, being able to grasp paper and other delicate things with ease. This Duenem was simply known as The First, as hundreds of years ago, it had been the prototype from which all others came, and was the closest the Duenem had to a judge in their own society. It had been defragged many a time over the years to preserve it's systems and code, but it's seniority still held.

For the most part, First kept an unflinching gaze on Brez as she delivered her plea. It also ensured it's audio receptors were fine tuned, to better analyze every word that was spoken.

It personally felt the male was more likely guilty, as many of it's actions were almost self-evident, especially the theft. Yet it had been asked to serve as a judge of law, not of morality, and it would certainly allow any sapient to speak for itself given the chance. It's main wonder was whether Braz would argue by the letter or the spirit of the law. Time would certainly tell.

For it's statement, The First kept it brief. "I am The First of the Duenem," it entoned with a curiously melodious voice. "I have been tasked with evaluating and judging this trial. I will ensure all evidence and arguements are valued and judged to provide a just verdict."
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Malakid judges had it easy. When you could define your own appearance remotely, a poker face was hardly difficult to maintain. The Justiciar-General, Malachothub, looked on apparently impassively, his visage betraying nothing of the thoughts within.

Who authorised those shrieking crystals? How in the seven worlds were they supposed to conduct a meaningful trial with that background noise? At the first recess, words would be had with the clerk of the court. Hopefully if there were any interference in the broadcast transmission, it would be kept to a minimum.

As the First Duenem concluded, he leaned forward and spoke.

"Before opening statements begin, I must remind both the parties and those watching from without that the parties are speaking to two audiences. It is this panel, comprised of two Imperial judges of the highest standing, and three worthy guests, which will determine the charges, but just as important as the verdict is that justice is seen to be done. As my learned friend Sildyr-Quast has already implied, this trial sets a marked precedent, and the galaxy must see these proceedings conducted fairly if faith in the rule of law is to be maintained.

"Equally however I would note that whatever the temptation for respective counsel to play to the gallery, it is the judges who will determine the matter, and, to the extent I can speak for my fellow judges, I suspect we have a limited tolerance for grandstanding."

He nodded to indicate that he had no further opening remarks, and glanced along the bench in case the Gelean or Droccen judge had anything to add.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Galactic Droccen Imperium

Not having the benefit of a holographic projector, Sai consciously worked to keep her face from betraying her thoughts and emotions. The silver beads on her Imperial robes tinkled lightly as she turned from watching the Justicar-General back to the accused. She had to admit she found Brez Y'ett's lobster guise a bit off-putting. She noticed the the eyes of the Justicar-General upon her expectantly. She pulled her focus back to matter at hand and stood. The Empress felt little need to introduce herself, and so got directly to the point.

"The accused, Brez Y'ett of the Unified Public Trust, is here today to be tried by a jury of peers of their own volition. Under threat of force perhaps, but chose instead to face justice instead of bloodshed. For this concession, I have come here to judge their actions on behalf of the Galactic Community, not free of my own implicit biases but at least am I aware of them. I pledge that I will take these facts into account when considering the accused's point of view and rendering a verdict." Empress Sai smoothed her silver robes back under her as she regained her seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The Gelean judge casually leaned back in his chair, and put his feet up on the podium above his seat as he fetched a flask from a pocket in his suit. Emperor Xavier Bonaparte himself removed his bubble helmet, his short black-turning-gray hair framing a black eye he somehow managed to develop in the hour between landing and preparation for this Trial. He took a swig from the flask.

"Right, right right. Sooooo...yeah. Are we just not gonna talk about the Ninurtines claiming Imperial authority over everyone in the galaxy? Because that kinda feels like a thing we should be talking about. Like, yeah yeah, everyone's pissed at the brainslug, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one brainslug at fault here. Am I crazy?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Malachothub said nothing. The irony was, of course, that there had for years been a substantial lobby at council level, sufficiently noticeable even to descend to the level of popular debate, for recognition of the Geleans as co-emperors. But that argument had always foundered on the personal obnoxiousness of Bonaparte himself. Cherahiteth had never been convinced. Since his elevation, and despite his enthusiasm for the Droccen treaty and the acknowledgement of further sovereigns, Durgadoresh had not mentioned the Geleans in that context.

Indeed, and while if they fulfilled the promise they had previously shown, some of the attendees might find themselves having a quiet word on the subject, he imagined Bonaparte would not be approached. It was, in Malachothub’s view, a shame that one man could obstruct the proper administration of the galaxy so - but he was not, after all, a diplomat, and he understood the objection.

But then nor was Bonaparte really a judge. Was there not one lawyer in the Gelean territories who could attend in his place? It spoke something of the man that he had elected to come in person despite his manifest lack of qualification.

Of course, if Bonaparte wanted to, in effect, challenge the legitimacy of a tribunal he himself was sitting on, that was up to him.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #10

Brez waited, meditating but keenly aware of his surroundings, as the judges introduced themselves and the prosecution prepared to begin their opening argument. The elder machine was difficult to perceive and the Symbraum was reminded of Spiral Dancer teachings, teachings whose knowledge he alone still carried. The Nine did not carry such intense prejudices though they admired a keen biological mind of that Brez had no doubt. Still, the machines had been a mostly slow moving peaceful sort in their spreading out through the galaxy. Perhaps they would not seek to pass a harsh judgment.

The stern seriousness of the Ninurtine Justiciar-General was reassuring in a strange sense. The wormhole had been unforeseen and brought with it the first "bad neighbors" UPT had faced. The Rass immediate threat of invasion through the space-time tunnel had made many look upon the wormhole as only dangerous but Brez had seen the Ninurtines. An empire with a belief in itself and the means to back up that belief so strong they could halt a war. He hoped he might persuade them once more to blunt the legal instruments their fellows on the tribunal might seek to skewer him with for his deeds.

Empress Sai. A name beholden to more lips than her cousin Korima who had been popular even in UPT space some decade ago. Though perhaps enjoyed for different if not similar reasons to humanoid viewers the Symbraum were naturally vicarious and voyeuristic towards other lifeforms. Celebrity among the Maturated was a common trait for the Droccen imperial family it seemed. Brez was amused by her presence here though perhaps no more than he was by any of the others. Here he was, a master of arts and sciences very few could boast to even begin to comprehend, to be judged by the invitee list to the galactic royal ball. Still, Sai was not popular for no reason. Everyone loved a loving and merciful queen and Brez hoped she might play the part for him here.

If Empress Sai brought the absurdity of his panel of "peers" into sharp focus for Brez the inclusion of Emperor Xavier Bonaparte only made the panel an insulting farce. The "Emperor" was little more than a drunken reprobate lifted to power on the backs of foreign mercenaries and a willingness to cooperate with the unpopular but efficient mind of Elizabeth of Rios Arcology. Brez had perhaps silently hoped the shadow ruler of the Geleans would come to judge him and the presence of her fool was made more insulting by her absence. Of the Maturated leaders it was perhaps Elizabeth whom Brez was closest to seeing as an equal. Perhaps she was taunting him by sending her fool, a silent affirmation of his detractors that too much happened too fast and the galaxy's eyes were peering too closely now. He should have found a fool to hide behind. sooner ;) :P

11. - Top - End - #11

"Your concerns are by no means mad, Your Aeternal Majesty," proclaims a squat, black-scaled Rass draped in shimmering cloth as they entered the courtroom. "Indeed, Your Honors, we aim to show the court that not only is Brez Y'ett guilty of the stated charges, but that the entirety of the Transcendance Division, and by extension the structural foundation of the Unified Public Trust of which the accused was Head is and was complicit in their crimes, as Judge Syldir-Quast made mention in the explication of charges."

The Rass was Androgynous-Sight-Steel-Twice HighTower TameShare of One-Dozen and Nine Designations, Second Speaker of Pravactdiss, the Most Just, one of less than a dozen individuals who had been granted extensive personal correspondence with Pravactdiss, the Most Just, Rhoshan Revered One focused on effective governance, social body management, civil and criminal behavior, and psychoanalysis, and they were present in the capacity as prosecution co-counsel, at the insistence of the Federated Churches. They were dressed in shimmering, silvery cloth covered with golden geometric patterns, which stretched out behind them to cover their long, flat tail. Androgynous-Sight-Steel-Twice used one prosthetic arm to adjust their corrective lenses, and took a position next to Hestyn-Vrex, rising up to a full standing position in order to see over the table, which they used to survey the judges on appointment.

Sight-Steel-Twice trusted The First, divine as their nature was, to see to a proper accounting, regardless of the Symbraum's tricks, and Sildyr-Quast was righteous at heart, from what the Designate had heard, if perhaps overly harsh. Empress Sai, Emperor Bonaparte, and Justiciar-General Malachothub, however, Sight-Steel-Twice knew...while not less about, their inner selves were harder to discern, even for the gods. It was good, then, that the guilt of the accused would be so comparatively easy to prove. The reprehensibility of that creature - to deceive one's congregation, rendering them vulnerable to such gross violation of genocidal proportion, was enough to render them morally decrepit regardless of reason. That it was in the service of such calamitous aims as re-structuring the galaxy, without the consent of nary a single party involved, let alone even that scarce justification of majority? Destruction and betrayal, in the pursuit of chaos and power, motivated by reckless spite. The Rass adjusted their glasses once more, the only outward sign of their distaste.

Despicable.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Confident that the opening statements had concluded, and eager to avoid further barbs from the Gelean emperor, Hestyn-Vrex was quick to follow his colleague's words.

<With you approval, arbiters, we shall begin. And where better than the beginning, the first count of Galactic Terrorism? On galactic date 217513.1.5.80 the Sisterhood of Silence monastery known as Shimmer Light was destroyed in an apparent act of sabotage by its Abbess. I remind the judges that this occurred long after the threat of the Same was made apparent to the matured races of the galaxy, and that the Abbess last words contained indictments not only against the Sisterhood but the very idea of containment. A proper death toll was never tallied, but only the concerted effort of neighboring stellar powers prevented containment failure.>

Hestyn-Vrex pressed on the recessed buttons on the counsel table to transmit archive footage of the destruction of Shimmering Light.

<At the time, the Sisterhood failed to uncover what had driven one of their most respected leaders to madness and suicide. However, four years of diligent investigation on the part of the Svaatyr Theocracy eventually uncovered the truth. Their assembled evidence presented a clear perpetrator - the Unified Public Trust. Not only did Brez Y'ett order this attack in full knowledge of the danger posed by the Same, but he chose to weaken the perimeter protecting the very people whose philosophy the Trust later adopted. There was no quarrel between the Theocracy and the Trust, no threat posed the Symbraum by the Sisterhood. The reasons were no more complex than the mad ravings forced out the Abess' mouth by the parasite in her brain. They believed enlightenment awaited them in the darkness of the Core, and were willing to commit an act of barbarism for the chance to seize it.>
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-12-08 at 03:58 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

13. - Top - End - #13

What a circus this was turning into. Now some scale covered rat was on the prosecution too? The mind boggled at the farcical procedures put in place for this tribune. Brez's crustacean form rose to address the panel and retort the prosecution.

"There is much speculation in the prosecution's attempts to hang blame upon my head for the failures of the Sisterhood of Silence but allow me to illuminate the facts. The honorable Hestyn-Vrex is mistaken when he declares the destruction of Shimmering Light to have occurred 'long after the threat of the Same was made apparent' for the destruction occurred only a scant handful of years after the Uplift Chorus leaked the minutes of their secret conclave with the infamously deceitful Sisterhood, minutes whose validity has only been tangentially confirmed in the years since that leak. Many, both within UPT and across the galaxy, have expressed their cynical suspicion towards Sisterhood claims of working for the best interest of the Maturated and wish to encourage our judges to look upon the defunct order with honest eyes, appraising them as the secret keepers and manipulators they were. The Sisterhood were always a threat, in spite of honorable Hestyn-Vrex's words, to the Symbraum and the galaxy as a whole. Their total dissolution and the destruction of their bases," Brez swept his attention towards the Gelean Emperor, "speaks to their multitude of internal failures, including the breakdown and destruction of their monastery at Shimmering Light. If disagreements with the Sisterhood that end in monastic destruction are basis enough for galactic trial I regret I missed the trial of the Gelean Elizabeth of Rios Arcology that saw her and her government cleared and given seats upon the panel of galactic judgment."

"Most importantly however Hestyn-Vrex rightly notes the Svaatyr Theocracy conducted an investigation into the destruction of Shimmering Light which revealed UPT involvement. I cannot deny this but whatever crime we might be accused of was settled with the Svaatyr as the only polity negatively effected by our attempts to gather reconnaissance on the SoS. I myself came to adopt their principles of teaching given the keen insight granted by them and the matter was closed between our governments. Most courts worthy of the title do not indulge in what I understand to be called "double jeopardy." UPT and myself have already faced charges and answered to them regarding the destruction of Shimmering Light. The Theocracy, imminently more qualified to pass judgment for an act occurring in their space, has acquitted us and I urge this trial move on from a matter long ago resolved through appropriate channels."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

His eyes fixed on the shell holding Brez Y'ett, Hestyn-Vrex pondered whether the creature believed its own bluster or whether it was a peculiar sort of desperation. Certainly, the actions of the Trust had the hallmarks of extremist dogma, but he found it difficult to trust anything the Symbraum did. Much less anything they said.

<I will concede the accused is correct, insofar as the Symbraum's hostility towards the Sisterhood was a matter of record even before their reign of terror began. However, one must question the credibility of their skepticism, considering their destruction of Shimmering Light occurred after the first incursion by Same 0.06 into Matured Space. At that time, the Matured had also received independent verification of Same fleets in other Core Regions. Reports that would prove accurate when Same 0.05 emerged the very year that Shimmering Light was destroyed.>

He paused, leaning down to confer with Androgynous-Sight-Steel-Twice before returning to his point. Beside him, the Rass hastily accessed the data archive.

<The accused's reference to the Gelean attack on the Sisterhood is also illuminating, though perhaps not as it intends. At the very least, we must remember that Elizabeth of Rios Arcology voted against the attack. But consider as well what followed - widespread domestic outcry, political upheaval, and eventually the complete dissolution of the government that had enabled such a tragedy. An extreme reaction, perhaps, but not incongruous with what came to light regarding the importance of Core containment. Meanwhile, what was the reaction within the Trust to the destruction of Shimmering Light?>

He let the question hang in the air a moment, as his co-counsel transmitted the minutes from the Gelean parliament relevant to their attack on the Sisterhood.

<The accused asks us to honor the Svaatyr's judgement following the revelation of the Trust's guilt. And were this a purely internal matter, a reasonable sentient might agree with that reasoning. But years of fire and blood have taught us that the dangers in the Core do not threaten the Svaatyr alone. Nor were they alone in reacting to the crisis, which saw the concentrated effort of many of their neighbors to avert further Same incursions. These powers, and the people they represent, are owed a chance at judgement for the Trust's crimes.>
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-12-09 at 06:39 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

15. - Top - End - #15

"The Same had already escaped Core containment under the Sisterhood's 'watch' and so an act against the ineffective Sisterhood was somehow an act against containment? The act against the Sisterhood was a political action involving a now-defunct extremist religious order hoarding secrets relevant to all galactic interests abroad. The only party who might claim a case against UPT were the Theocracy and the matter of our intrusion into their space has been settled bilaterally between the Theocracy and UPT."

"There is no charge here. By your own testimony the Sisterhood's purported vigil had already failed prior to the conflict at Shimmering Light. How can UPT warfare against the Sisterhood be construed as 'galactic terrorism' or 'endangering Core containment' when the organization was not effectively containing the Core prior to UPT's move against them? Shall we construe the campaign against An'Null's Eradicators as a galactic terrorism threatening the free independence of rogue traders? Surely not. The Sisterhood is owed no greater weight of import in this galactic court than any other independent political entity with its own goals and ambitions, especially in the light that their own claimed benevolent mission was a failure prior to UPT interference."

Brez addresses the prosecution directly now. He held the datapad with the records of that infamous Gelean Parliament.

"I should be glad you are so naive as to believe matters of written record as containing the whole truth. We have watched what has happened among the Geleans and it is not true dissolution. Dissolution, perhaps yes, but controlled by the psionic agents who walk the streets turning the public outcry into something more centralized and meaningful in pursuit. One does not rebel their way into leading an Empire."

"Yet, we are not here to discuss the Geleans are we? Perhaps you would like to move beyond matters of past deeds long resolved and address the matter at hand which your tiny friend and his people were willing to go to war over? The first of our neighbors to act in such blatantly aggressive fashion I should note. The Tal-Amanyk, Ndoda, Nyxians, and Kombuch are all well remembered as respectful neighbors who might themselves vouch for UPT's kind character. So I do wish to understand what turned the Rass into bloodthirsty warmongers despite their pledges to the Star League which purports itself to higher ideals than brute force."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Proceedings were abruptly halted as Emperor Bonaparte abruptly banged the gavel several times, going so far as to sweep his feet off the podium to reach.

"Hey, hey! First off, screw you for trying to imply an act of war is equivalent to some half-assed meat puppet sabotage. Second off, also screw you for pretending to know how war works. Oh look, this table's missing a leg and only has three. It'll probably be fine if I saw off another one, right?!"

He threw his hands into the air in exasperation, his apparent manic episode almost spent.

"...Also, I resent the implication that I don't run my own Empire. I conquered the place fair and square."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

It was almost too good to be true. Hestyn-Vrex and the rest of the Seer Council had been aware of the situation in Gelean space for some time, and had suspected others would learn some of what they knew. But even open secrets are best left unsaid - for Brez Y'ett to spout conspiracy and turn one of the justices against it at the same time was a gift.

<Thank you, Justice. I believe the time has come to outline the Trust's most recent, and most heinous crime. By now we are all aware of the contact between the Trust and the sentience known to us as Efficiency. Contact enabled by the Svaatyr Theocracy, in an apparent attempt to reconcile with the Trust after the attack on Shimmering Light. However, while the Svaatyr have maintained their intention to avert the cycle of the Revolution, the accused and its government pursued a very different goal. Here we come to our charge of Conspiracy, that the Trust purposefully worked towards a new Revolution long before their own security was threatened. And in the process, knowingly exposed millions of sentients to mortal danger.>

A look of disgust twisting his lower lip, the Vilari transmitted the findings of Gelean investigators at the ritual sites.

<In a self-aggrandizing act of Galactic Terror, the Trust misled the remaining followers of the Kamasati Spiral Dancers into opening themselves up to Efficiency. It cost the Symbraum nothing - after all, they had moved on to a new host in the Nine Lights. Even with their living gods in decline and their star fading, the Spiral Dancers encompassed tens of millions of lives. Tens of millions who were promised ascension. In its place, they found only hunger. Investigators from the Rose League uncovered entire populations disfigured by the experience, stripped of the psychic connection that was the hallmark of their faith. Those capable of surviving absent their second site have still be damaged in a profound, likely irreparable way. But what of the Kamasati, the progenitors of the beliefs the Trust used as kindling? Those not already driven mad by the cancer ravaging their space have been left in a waking nightmare, deprived of something as natural and essential to them as breathing. In a very real way, the survival of the Kamisati species has been thrown into doubt. It is an act so monstrous, so barbarous, that the mind recoils. Any sane being would hope the sacrifice be undertaken for some noble or selfless cause.>

A hollow laugh rattled from his throat.

<Not so. The Trust set their mind-fire so that they might hold the Galaxy to ransom, and pursue the same vendetta that drove their violence against the Sisterhood. Their pursuit of the Core is an obsession that turned murderous many years ago, and before you stands the personification of that diseased compulsion.>
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-12-12 at 03:27 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #18

"You believe we pursue the Core? Truly, you do not understand. I should not be surprised but I am. The Kamasati you cry crocodile tears for while the true architect of their ruin sits as representative upon our judge's panel do not sway me from the truth we of UPT have long known," again the eyes of Brez's host swiveled to look upon the Gelean Emperor.

"Surely no one is so naive as to believe the Kamasati collapsed upon themselves politically without an outside hand at work? And who has swept in and taken their lands like a hungry scavenger waiting for a promised meal? Again, however, we are not here to discuss the many crimes of the Geleans are we? No, instead they sit as judges on this panel of moralizing poseurs to claim the ascendancy and relief I shepherded survivors of the Pantheon's collapse into was a great crime."

Brez's attention now returned to the prosecution. What lay behind that vaunted Vilari nobility he wondered. What festering secret did their expressions of heroics seek to hide and redeem them from.

"You speak with passionate ignorance Hestyn-Vrex but the tales of suffering among those who did not commit in their beliefs and were left suffering for it are not my responsibility. Millions of Kamasati gave their minds over to our grand goal, as too did many brethren Symbraum in spite of your claims we made no sacrifices of our own, to gain a guiding hand in the Second Revolution. Those who followed the Spiral Dancers, as I once did, have always been in pursuit of godliness. A completion of the cycle set forth by the Callers. I offered a path towards fuller realization and my fellows, bereft guidance from elsewhere, joined in my pursuits and millions were enlightened by it."

"Time drives the universe forward and each day across our fair galaxy billions die regularly. Some to violence over petty things, some to age or sickness, so many dying without meaning and without purpose yet these lives lost are dismissed. A 'natural' part of the universe deserving no reflection or condemnation. Yet when UPT seeks to understand the legacy passed to us by the Callers before your gang of hegemons smash to bits what you do not understand I have committed a high crime? When I have guided willingly surrendered lives of believers to sacrifice for greater galactic understanding it is terrorism? I seek a vendetta?"

"No. There is no vendetta. There is no ransom. We understand more than we did before. We know more of the malleability of the galaxy we call Axiom and will follow the Callers in using this knowledge but the 'vendetta' you speak of comes only from FCO's aggression through the wormhole. UPT has found accord with all previous neighbors but the war mongers hiding under Star League's skirt have doomed you all. I did not care what was done with the Revolution, only that it was done. It was your own works that brought my attention more fully to the specifics of spatial manipulation granted to me by Efficiency."

"It seems oft forgotten in the condemnations of its work but Efficiency is of Caller make, of Caller power, a legacy of the progenitor's time upon Axiom. The Revolution itself is a test of the Maturated, a test so many obviously haven't the mind to grasp or perhaps are merely too fearful to attempt answering. You speak of lives as if those standing here do not do so upon mountains of corpses billions and trillions deep that led to their being here now. The Symbraum by contrast are a young race, less than a millennia and we have emerged from the seas to the stars with no great wars to mark our ascendance, no bloody struggles over land or blood. But we see that the sacrifice of life can be valuable. We do not condemn the wars fought by our fellows because we understand lives must on occasion be sacrificed for progress. The hypocrisy when we make sacrifices, with consent and acceptance from all involved, of lesser scale than the wars that mark your histories reeks."
    Last edited by Reggiejam; 2019-12-12 at 11:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post

<Not so. The Trust set their mind-fire so that they might hold the Galaxy to ransom, and pursue the same vendetta that drove their violence against the Sisterhood. Their pursuit of the Core is an obsession that turned murderous many years ago, and before you stands the personification of that diseased compulsion.>
    "These are compelling accusations, counsel," said the Justiciar-General. "I am however curious what evidence there is to support them. What ransom did the accused demand in regard to this second Revolution? And in respect of their pursuit of the Core, I am curious to know what manner this pursuit has taken: what fleets, expeditions, emissaries or search parties have been sent there, what contact the Trust may have had with any of the Same entities therein, what territory the Trust has sought to acquire there or what items it has sought to remove. I am aware that expeditions both military and otherwise into Core space have been led by other interested parties, in some cases contrary to the express request of the Sisterhood, in some cases by members of this bench. I was not aware that the UPT had taken any part in any such."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

20. - Top - End - #20

The First sits silent as the heated voices ring out. For all he was, Brez could certainly argue, and did bring up good points. However, justifying destroying the Sisterhood base seemed strange ground to tread. One did not destroy a leaking dam with explosives; it would be repaired or replaced to save others.

He did bring up good ideas about the opportunism however. The First idly ran a calculation as to what would have happened if another power had done a similar thing. It kept the answers private.

But galacitc terrorism was another matter entirely.

"Defendant Brez," intoned The First, speaking up finally, "The Duenem do not consider relocating celestial bodies to be a part of the natural universe, and many other powers would agree. While you claim to have only sacrificed those willing, what of those non-matured races in the next thousands of years who will have their suns, stars and planets moved in their eyes as the light reaches them? With the moving of stars and other entities, you have disrupted the progress and advancement of those in the future who have had no interaction with UPT, and have by no means agreed to it. Do you agree of this analysis?"

The First's tone remains calm and melodious throughout, with no hint of emotion in it's words.

"Also, just to clarify for the record, you say that all of those who were 'surrendered' for this purpose were aware that it would lead to material death?"

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The Emperor opened his mouth, closed it, and turned to the rest of the panel. "So, like, is he pleading insanity? Is that what's going on here?"

22. - Top - End - #22

"First of the Duenem, while we recognize you may not consider the Revolution 'natural' we would challenge quite emphatically any dominion you might claim in so broad a scope as 'natural' covers in its generality. Rest assured, this is not biased against your forms, forms some might call unnatural in themselves, but is a challenge against any who would use a call to 'breaking the natural order' as basis for a crime. Axiom is not 'natural' in the sense an ecosystem with simple creatures might be. It is a web spun into a shape by the Callers who possessed the means and willingness to cast stars across its length on a whim and have disappeared leaving only faint echoes behind in Fragments and louder echoes behind in their AIs connected to the Beyond. These custodians, not dissimilar to your own role as successors to the deceased progenitors of your synthetic race, carry the knowledge and culture of their creators forward into a new age, an Age of the Maturated. We appear to be the only force willing to test the abilities left to us by the Callers while so many others condemn us for even trying in panicked fear over an event that has already occurred once without irreparably harming those affected."

"We should further interrogate whether the 'natural' expansion of stellar powers across the stars introducing and elevating hundreds of pre-FTL and pre-spaceflight into our strata of existence are acting immorally? Certainly the Symbraum would hope not for it was space travelers who brought to us the means to think beyond our own terrestrial confines. So no, we do not agree with your analysis First of the Duenem. I find it flawed and far too presumptive on what constitutes 'natural order' condemning those not selected by Guardian to frightened ignorance when UPT alone has seen so many species brought up to live among the heavens with ourselves. Who can say there was no Revolution prior to the one we call 'First'? Certainly the Callers did not build Efficiency to never use? I do not doubt it was a regular occurrence within the Caller era to shift star systems across the cosmos as readily as one might transport cargo from one planet to the next."

He returned his attention to the Fool. The Gelean seemed to quite enjoy being free to sit in judgment for the "crimes" lesser than he and his ilk were responsible for. A true testament to the hypocritical blindness Axiom was willing to pull over its own eyes so long as one waved the correct banners and chanted the right phrases about the Same. Just fall in line and support the Sisterhood no matter how evasive, no matter how secretive. Do not question the Wardens conversion of Same drones to the Source, it was merely a radio mistake, that's all. A dictatorship of fools.

"I do not plead guilty on reason of insanity, I dismiss the charges as mistaken in their label and scope. The actions I took in UPT's name were taken in pursuit of knowledge and understanding of our role as the successors of the Callers. The Spiral Dancers followed me and perhaps you do not like where I led them but they followed me freely all the same. I cannot claim to know they understood every aspect of the ritual I conducted but I can promise you they ascended from the mortal form. Their voices live on in here," he pointed to his own head with an oversized claw, "and I shall be forever grateful for their sacrifice. The gods fell and UPT offered them the only hand that did not come covered in the armored gauntlet of their conquest. I am not to blame for the free choices of millions of individuals anymore than a general is to blame for soldiers joining the army he leads. The Spiral Dancers sought ascendance and a godhood embracing the Caller legacy. I gave them a chance to succeed and perhaps it was faulty but it was not wrong. No moreso than the everyday atrocities carried out across our galaxy by forces far more capricious and far less willing to sit down for a chat than I."

23. - Top - End - #23

Sight-Steel-Twice grimaced, internally. His co-counsel meant well, but the tact was one which the Symbraum could twist because one of the core assumptions of their argument had not yet been challenged. But theological justice, wherein the core of the Symbraum's guilt lay, and indeed much of the reason he'd been selected for this venture, was his specialty. And...the Symbraum was making this almost too easy, for that.

"Your Honors. As the accused has made clear, they do not dispute having taken the actions they have been accused of - only the legality, or perhaps more accurately the morality, of such actions. Whether they hope to deny the legitimacy of this trial and its judges, convened for their benefit, by claiming that certain powers represented by the judges present have taken actions prior which they claim to be similar, or to paint their actions such that not only did no harm occur, but if it did occur, it wasn't foreseen, and even if it was foreseen, it is justified by a claimed right to inherit the legacy of the Callers, I will not presume. But I will endeavor to demonstrate why such arguments are nonsensical."

The Rhoshan adjusted their spectacles as they tapped their archive device several times, sending a variety of information flooding to the Judges - reports of the ruin descending on Spiral Dancer communities in the wake of the tragedy, accounts of survivors talking about the experience, and even what appeared to be recovered footage of a congregation of Kamasati at the moment of 'ascension'. There is a brief flare of light, and then a sickening squelch as bodies impact the ground, the camera unmoving. All but one of the forms are still, silent, and crumpled. Over the next minute, that sole survivor appears to cast about with their tentacles, dragging themselves along the ground; with every body that does not sir, the desperation of their movements seems to grow, until they stop , perhaps halfway into the group, and remain very still for a long pause. The Kamasati then proceeds to pull themselves over the fallen bodies of their friends with slow, deliberate movements. Upon encountering a pillar with a stray tentacle, they change course to move towards it, and proceed to violently smash their upper body into the pillar repeatedly until they, too, stop moving. This curated version is not the full video; that is over 30 hours long and includes a Kamasati with 'psychic rabies' mutilating the bodies.

"'The tales of suffering among those who did not commit in their beliefs', hm? It is well documented that Brez Y'ett renounced their faith in the Pantheons well before this so-called 'ascension', yet continued to take advantage of the trust placed in them by the desperate remainder of Spiral Dancers, struggling under the weight of disease and turmoil, to corrupt their hopes for their own selfish gain. To believe that the accused intended or in fact believed that the Spiral Dancers would be able to ascend beyond godhood in the manner they sought through the use of such means would entail believing that Brez Y'ett either falsely revoked their faith in the Pantheons, a position which seriously strains their credibility as witness at this trial; that Brez Y'ett rediscovered their faith in the Pantheons only just long enough to be deceived by Efficiency Ground into believing this act would enable the ascension of the Spiral Dancers, but not long enough to care to ascend with them, despite their title at the time as head of the Transcendance Division; or that Brez Y'ett considers themselves beyond godhood, a belief not only in opposition with Nine Lights theology as is commonly understood but also potentially symptomatic of delusions of grandeur.

"The accused claims to be following the will of the Callers in this endeavor, and the Unified Public Trust has attempted to don the mantle of sole heir to their legacy, despite being but one of the numerous species chosen for Maturation, and seeks to enforce their will for the galaxy's course upon those powers, while ignoring protests and prudent calls for moderation and analysis from sources across the galaxy. Yet even foregoing the very serious question of whether such a justification carries legal authority, we have no reason to believe that the Callers intended for Axiom what Brez Y'ett and the Trust seek to force upon it. Indeed, given the widespread outcry from other Maturated species and their representative powers, such actions would seem to be against the will of the Callers, and instead merely a reckless greed for power. And though it is true that others among the Maturated have shown a hunger for territory, power, followers and respect, none have so brazenly disregarded principles of consent, respect, and courtesy unprovoked, much less on so grand a scale. The deaths of millions and the loss of psychic potential in so many more, stripped of their connection to their faith, enacted through deceit in the pursuit for personal power and favor with a rogue entity treating Axiom as its personal playground is an absurd tragedy that should never have been allowed.

"But that is not all! No, for despite the other ranking officials of the Unified Public Trust knowing the likely results of these actions, given their extensive intelligence networks, interest in psionics, prior association with the Spiral Dancers and Kamasati in particular, and especially their ever-present interest in the biology and psychology of other species - despite all of this, no effective protest was made, nor rebuke administered. No, Brez Y'ett left Unified Public Trust space lauded by it's government a hero, by all accounts, choosing to turn themselves over to Ninurtine authorities personally in vain and foolish hopes of miscarried justice, rather than face account for their crime from those who originally sought to bring them to trial. Given their arguments thus far, including using the justification of death being 'natural' in one breath and questioning the validity of such a term when the First of the Duenem uses it, perhaps they hope to be a martyrr, confident in their ability to ascend, given their apparent consumption of the fallen. The analogy that the accused uses for their justification is that of a general recruiting soldiers. Yet generals are held responsible for the lives of soldiers under their command; it is still a war crime to recruit child soldiers, and warlords who spend the lives of youth with nowhere else to turn to expand their personal territory and wealth without even providing benefits to those populations they abuse are treated harshly by civilized society. With authority comes responsbility; with trust comes duty. Brez Y'ett has shirked both in favor of spite, lust for power, and callous disposal of those whose faith was placed in him, on a genocidal scale. From their testimony in this very trial, they acknowledge their actions as atrocity, damning themselves with the faintest possible praise.

"The accused has, at every turn, attempted to deflect their trial away from their actions and towards the actions of others. And some of what they say is true. My own people, the Rass, have a long history of violent, bloody conflict. My co-counsel could assuredly tell you of the remnants of the horrors that once occurred on their own planet, if they desired - but given the presence of a Vilari among our judges, I doubt it would be necessary. All present understand how common atrocity has been in ages past and present. But so too do we acknowledge the failures in judgment, in morality, and in culture that led to such needless violence. Such bloodshed makes up a rich history of heinous mistakes and avoidable tragedy. And moreover - it is irrelevant to this case.

We are not here to place the Geleans, or the Vilari, or the Duenem on trial. If there is a case to be made for the governments of any here as having committed war crimes, such is not to be made here, but on another day, in a different court. We are not here to discuss whether the judges chosen are fit to pass judgment; it has been determined that they are fit for such by the Ninurtine Imperial government, whose custody the accused turned themselves into. Their evasiveness, pedantry, and counter-accusatory behavior of not only the prosecution but the Justices themselves who will pass judgment upon them, is not in itself sufficient to prove their guilt, but it is inimical to the pursuit of justice."
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2019-12-14 at 06:24 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Malachothub finally turned his eyes towards the Rass prosecutor. He had arrived late, without introduction or apology, and he had hoped to get away with ignoring him.

As he reached the end of his speech however, a particular point caught the Justiciar-General's attention.

"As you say, counsel, it has been determined that the judges are fit to reach a verdict. It would be a legal nonsense for judges to condemn as illegal acts which they themselves have committed, it follows that where the judges have taken an action of which the defendant is accused, then it is not a crime for the purposes of this tribunal.

"The alternative is that this is a mistrial."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

As the Justicar-General's response to Sight-Steel-Twice concluded, Sildyr-Quast cut off any response.

<Indeed, Justicar-General. We can rest easy, then, that these justices were chosen by careful consideration, as were the charges. These proceedings have not shaken my confidence in our course. But I believe you had asked a question of the prosecution?>

He nodded towards Hestyn-Vrex, who stood in acknowledgement.

<I believe the Justicar-General's question related to the nature of the Trust's pursuit of the Core? It is a fair observation that distance has prevented them from launching physical expeditions into that most dangerous region of space. However, we would contend that pursuit of the mysteries therein take more forms than the acquisition of territory. The rhetoric of the Trust has consistently painted those seeking to restrict access to the Core as a denial of their otherwise laudable quest for knowledge. A quest that the defendant now uses to justify his crimes without denial. Perhaps we are wrong, and some unseen motive is what drove the Trust's atrocities. Regardless, the crimes have not been denied. As to holding the galaxy to ransom, we maintain that the Trust's offer to sell influence in the Revolution constituted an implied threat to any power unwilling to bribe them for their benevolence.>

The prosecutor returned to his seat, and after a moment Sildyr-Quast spoke once more.

<Are there any further questions? Having heard the charges and the accused's...rebuttal, I believe we stand ready to pass judgement.>

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

JUDGMENT

"The first charge which was brought before this court was that of galactic terrorism, in procuring the destruction of Shimmering Light Monastery. The prosecution's case is that this represented an unacceptable risk to core containment and that the destruction was performed in that knowledge and with that purpose.

The defendant's actions in relation to the destruction of the monastery are admitted. I note, however, that the immediate consequences of the destruction have already been resolved by way of bilateral agreement between the Trust and the Svaatyr Theocracy. A finding of guilt in relation to this would therefore presuppose that the act presented a real and present danger to the galaxy at large such that there remain outstanding issues to be tried.

I am not wholly persuaded that it did. Indeed, there seems to be remarkably little evidence, beyond their own reports, that the Sisterhood of Silence played an active and useful role in containing the Same. There appears to be no identifiable correlation between the damage to or destruction of Sisterhood monasteries and excursions by the Same beyond the Core. The defendant appears not to have taken the Sisterhood fully at their word in relation to their role in containing the Same. With particular regard to the information then available, and given the Sisterhood's history of obfuscation and concealment of key information, I find that the defendant was entitled to doubt them.

Further, I am concerned about the precedent that such a ruling would set. The Same presents a threat and those in a position to contain it deserve our gratitude. It does not follow, however, that those powers engaged in containment of the Same have a blanket immunity from the normal effects of stellar politics nor that actions taken against them have an especially aggravated character. If so, then even mundane and non-aggressive confrontation, such as a resisted buyout of a trading post, or conversion of a learning centre to an unapproved ideology, which could distract from core containment, would become criminal not only on a local but a galactic scale. I do not believe that that can be sustained. Moreover, this is really the sole surviving element of the charge, as the destruction of the monastery in and of itself has already been disposed of as a live issue by the Theocracy.

The second charge, also of galactic terrorism, relates to the impending Second Revolution. Again, the act of the defendant is admitted, and therefore judgment falls to motive and consequence.

The defendant has advanced the argument that the Revolution is a quasi-natural phenomenon, part of the galactic mechanism bequeathed to the Maturated species by the Callers. I am sceptical of the defendant's suggestion of previous Revolutions before the one we call the First. Astronomy is, in most civilisations, a science developed early, and had the stars moved at any point in the last few thousand years one would expect this to have been recorded somewhere among the maturated species. Nevertheless, the point is taken that Efficiency Ground, which generates the Revolutions, is of Caller manufacture and is not a creation of any maturated species, including the defendant. I further note that, unlike the universal threat of the Same, Efficiency Ground is capable of serving a useful and possibly irreplaceable purpose.

On that basis, the manipulation of Efficiency Ground appears little different to the manipulation of any other element of the galaxy's resources. The execution of a Revolution has much in common with the use of a technology or the exploiting of a resource. These are used to gain an advantage, in warfare, trade or diplomacy, and are exchanged for value. The only difference is that of magnitude.

Consequently I do not consider the acceleration of the second Revolution, in and of itself, to be criminal. As to the suggestion that the defendant held the galaxy to ransom by offering to accept bribes in exchange for favourable placement following the Revolution, I find that the defendant was entitled to solicit payment in exchange for this, in the same way as a technology may be traded for profit.

It is true that the first Revolution was a cause of terror when it occurred. Once the true facts and results of the Revolutions were known, however, the Revolution ceased to be terrifying. The second Revolution was anticipated and would likely have occurred notwithstanding the actions of the defendant. I am not aware of any deaths or meaningful destruction that have resulted from the First Revolution in and of itself and have no reason to believe that this will be any more true of the Second. Each Revolution will cause great inconvenience, but the charge that is brought is Galactic Terrorism, not Galactic Inconvenience.

The most horrifying allegations are those relating to the manner in which the defendant brought about the Second Revolution. Again, the fact of these events is not denied.

The first limb of this charge is the manipulation of the Spiral Dancers ideology. I am uncomfortable with this charge. There are eight ideologies in Axiom that one might describe as “organized” and many more that are not. These are frequently directed by individuals or groups who will recommend and execute changes to the ideology in question. It is rare for any ideology to persist unchanged for any length of time. Were the charge to be taken at its broadest, it would suggest that any change to ideology by its leader is suspect and criminal. I do not believe that can be sustained and I do not believe that is the prosecution's intention. The alternative therefore is that certain changes are criminal and others are not. There is, however, no precedent on this issue and no suggestion of where or how such a line should be drawn.

In this case that charge is inextricably linked to that of genocide. This too is a difficult charge, however, for the event in question appears rather to have had the character of a mass suicide. It is clear that on some level, the Kamasati consented to their own fate. Indeed, I am struck by the absence of any evidence to the contrary. To my knowledge, not one Kamasati voice has been raised in objection to this occurrence. This appears to preclude a true genocide.

It is clear to me that the defendant has failed the Kamasati and breached the implicit duty of care and trust between a ruler and his people. I consider, however, that the actions in question fall some way short of the charge of genocide presented.

In summary, many of the actions of the defendant are reprehensible, but the question remains as to whether there is a special aggravating quality that takes them outside the exercise of normal foreign policy. In considering this I also factor in the question of equality of arms. Where a conflict arises between two powers, if one is superior in conventional force - whether military or not - its lesser opponent faces three stark options. The first is to surrender; the second to fight back in the full expectation of defeat; the third to seek an unconventional advantage.

Where core containment has been breached by powers of military strength, there may have been objections but this is considered part of the normal operation of politics. Perhaps the most damaging such breach was the ingression of the Rothuun into Same space, which has led to the largest single avenue for Same excursions through that sector. This is a clearer and more consequential act than anything yet done by the defendant, but it has attracted less opprobium, perhaps because it was executed in a conventional manner.

The defendant is such a lesser power, in the grand scope of galactic politics, and in its dealings has taken the third option of those I set out above. Many of its actions appear to have the character of a power incapable of executing its wishes through conventional means, and instead making use of its other resources. I do not see any reason that this is not a valid exercise of the authority of an autonomous stellar power.

Where the act is not criminal in and of itself, and motive is the defining factor, I consider that a reasonable doubt exists as to the defendant's motives, sufficient that criminal intent is not proven to the standard required.

On the question of genocide, and in the absence of contrary evidence, I find that the Kamasati consented to their fate and given that suicide is not a crime, the event, while horrific, was not in itself criminal.

Accordingly, on charges of galactic terrorism, reckless endangerment and genocide I find the defendant not guilty.

The charge of conspiracy is not particularised and consequently I am minded to dismiss it.

I do not find that the manipulation of the Spiral Dancers ideology in and of itself constitutes a crime against sentients. I do however find that in relation to the overall treatment of the Kamasati, the defendant has committed crimes against sentients, and therefore find the defendant guilty on one such charge. I further recognise the plea of guilty to the charge of grand theft.
    "
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

27. - Top - End - #27

Brez chose not to retort the Rass co-counsel having felt his points made already to the objections raised by the advocate. He focused his attentions upon the Ninurtine justice upon whom this whole trial turned. The emotions he felt as the judge spoke elated him and he was glad he had come to a sane and rational empire ruled by the Emperor's justice.

"What would your sentence be for the crimes of grand theft and crimes against sentients, Justiciar-General?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Seated near the Justicar-General, Sildyr-Quast could scarcely believe what he heard. The equivocation between the Trust's actions and the normal business of state forced him, for the first time, to doubt the Ninurtine's sanity. Still, he was one judge of the five, and his vote carried equal weight to the Vilari's own.

<I would ask the defendant to remain silent until a full accounting of judgement has been heard.>

He turned his attention back to the bench.

<I must respectfully disagree with the Justicar-General. I cannot in good conscience elevate the professed motives of the Trust over the admission of their crimes, especially in light of the many deaths for which they are responsible. Doubt and disagreement are natural elements of intergalactic diplomacy, it is true, but just as essential are judgement and restraint. I see neither in the acts of the Trust. To conflate the infiltration and destruction of a major military and religious installation to the vagaries of trade or exchange of ideas implies no spectrum exists between peace and absolute aggression. That is not a stance the Vilari countenance. Perhaps in the future some galactic power shall see fit to bring such grievances to an intergalactic tribunal, but in the interim I have no qualms setting precedent against such a violent and unprovoked attack. Accordingly, I judge the defendant guilty on the first count of Galactic Terrorism.

Moving to the second charge, I must once again disagree with the honorable Justicar-General. While Efficiency's power is undeniable, I hold no special reverence for a god who chooses to abuse its charges. Transmission from the members of Efficiency Ground suggest nothing more profound behind the Revolution than Efficiency's caprice, not some essential function dictated by a dead race. It is a technology, true, but one wholly beyond our current understanding or ability to repair. A city that makes use of a nuclear reactor is not blameless if the waste poisons another community nearby, and neither is the Trust blameless in sowing chaos across the galaxy for no reason beyond temporary advantage. I would remind my fellow justice of the clear danger posed to Core containment should Efficiency choose to relocate certain powers. Furthermore, while neither Ninurtine nor Vilari suffered during the first Revolution, there exist galactic powers for whom distance from aggressors has been their chief defense. When that is compromised, we risk another conflict as ruinous as the Supraterran incursions. The Trust proceeded in their plans in full possession of these facts, and had begun preparations long before the emergent wormhole put them within reach of retributive powers. For that reason, I judge the defendant guilty on the second count of Galactic Terrorism.

As to the charge of Genocide, a Kamisati that remains both alive and sane has become such a rarity that I find it no surprise there is not one among us today. A people robbed of their voice by tragedy should not be assumed speechless. I do not deny that their end is most easily described as an act of mass-suicide, but it was not an act they came to of their own will. They were led to that ignominious end by the defendant seated before us, by its own admission on the promise of ascension. I see little to suggest that the broken remnants of the Kamisati race have ascended, and the defendant's dismissal of these survivors as "lacking commitment" simply cements their callous indifference to the lives lost. I rule them guilty of the charge of Genocide, and thinking on the survivors of this tragedy I judge the Trust guilty of Reckless Endangerment and Crimes Against Sentients. I must, however, agree with my colleague that insufficient evidence has been presented to convict on the charge of Conspiracy.

It is true that all galactic powers face a choice when dealing with their fellows. At times, relationships between powers are conducted from behind screens of warships. But just as often, relationships even between unequal powers are built upon a foundation of mutual understanding and respect. The Trust made the first of their choices absent any threat, and continued on their chosen course even as their hands became stained with blood. No doubt triggering Efficiency was their most potent countermeasure against outside aggression, but it was aggression their own actions had invited. There is no love lost between the Vilari and the Rothuun, but as ill-conceived as their incursion into the Core was it at least carried the fight to our common enemy. The Trust have taken no such action for the common good, and have instead acted as architects for one of the greatest horrors in our modern age.>
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-12-17 at 04:15 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In the first paragraph of the Ninurtine Judge's speech, Emperor Bonaparte simply lifted his flask all the way above his head and polished it off. As the legal arguments droned on, the Emperor pulled a mostly-full jug of unmarked amber fluid and refilled his flask, before also polishing that one off in the same manner. By the midpoint of the Vilari judge's speech, he'd given up and drank straight from the jug. When Sildyr-Quast returned to his seat, a gently swaying Emperor Bonaparte rose from the bench with a flash of actual anger in his eyes...before bursting into laughter.

"Oh man, this is such a load of bull****. It's like a halfassed Rothuun murder mystery."

He pantomimed voices.

'Did you do it?'
    'Yes!'
    'Jolly good show! Guess it can't be helped.'

"I mean, let's be serious here, this whole thing was set up pretending that we're all like wiggling fingers of some kind of single imperial authority, which we're really, really not. The only legal setup here that makes any kind of sense would be the Ninurtine Emperor looking for everyone's approval for how they discipline their sworn vassal, and that'd be fine if they didn't try to make it into some bull**** power grab flex.

And, like, what kind of bull**** argument is 'the Kamasati aren't complaining'? Do you also demand verbal testimony from the victim in a murder trial?"

He hopped out of his seat entirely, leaving the judges' bench in the general direction of the exit, and sparing a glance for Brez himself as he made his way out.

"So...screw this. If you still want my opinion, guilty guilty guilty, tow him into the sun for all I care. I need a drink. Additional drinks."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2019-12-17 at 06:10 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

The First refrains from sighing, but does briefly turn it's gaze other its fellow judges. It then turns back to face Brez.

"The first point, of galactic terrorism falls on the attack on the Sisterhood. The attack was violent, and intimidatory, and seemed to serve little aim beyond a political one. By definition, this is terrorism. As neither side was in a state of war towards the other, it can not be considered part of warfare. Moreover, while the effect upon the Svaatyr may have been agreed, the effect upon the Sisterhood itself has not been. Therefore, specifcally in regard to the Sisterhood, I find the defendant guilty."

"On the charge of reckless endagerment, the willingness for the defendant to enact upon a new revolution, while admitting that all they wanted was to enact a revolution, in order to learn more. This speaks of ignorance of the results of what is a process not fully understood. There is a possibilty of previous revolotions, yet none have had any experiences of such rapid changes in the horisen. Therefore, I find the defendant guily of reckless endangerment to the second degree, as there is both time to prepare, and some precedent.

However, in regards to the Kamasati comes the more difficult judgement. Did the Kamasati consent to such actions fully, were they manipulated, or were they unwilling? It would seem to be somewhere in the middle, as although I know little of psionics, some consent is required. However, through programming, manipulation and propaganda, it is possible to place the individuals in a state where they will do whatever they are commanded. The Duenem have had experience with this. Yet did the defendant intend to utterly destroy the Kamasati? I in fact believe they did not. They merely wished to use their power to enact their goals. As the Kamasati who, accordingly did not fully believe in the cause suggested are what are left, it is merely a symptom. This was certainly a crime against sentients, and reckless endangerment of the first degree however, so I find them guilty on both counts.

Yet genocide is not merely against a speices, but also those of a philosophy or a belief, and to my knowedge, all the followers of the Spiral Dancers are no longer present in Axiom by any means we can detect. As it was the self-described will of the defendant to bring them all to godliness, and there is no way to verify this, what this falls to is mass suicude. Indeed, Spiral Dancers outside of the Kamasati also perished. The defendant has confirmed such a goal and ritual was their intent, and that they did indeed intend to do this to all their followers. Therefore, there was an intent to destroy the material side of the Spiral Dancers. As we are in fact, material powers, we can only judge you with what we have available. Therefore, I find you guilty in regard to genocide of the Spiral Dancers.

That leaves the charge of conspiracy. Was their a conspiracy in the UPT for these courses of actions, and did the defendant take part in these? I feel that is not a matter for this court. The internal records of the UPT have not been released, so it is impossible to prove beyond allegations. Therefore, upon the current evidence, I find the defendant not guilty."