The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1189 - The Discussion Thread

I'm glad that both are still alive and didn't die in this update. Also I assume they are from the final unknown faction or at least one of the last ones if there are still factions that we haven't met yet. And hope they keep their word in letting them both lived.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Grammar error spotted
    Bugbears spots us
    If the green bubble is talking about the tribe it should be spot us
    If about the beastmaster or whatever she is it should’ve been bugbear
    "Grab them before ONE of the bugbears spots us."
    The grammar is correct.
    ------- 5E MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage. - - Petrocorus' Paladin Builds List. - - 3.5 Reference Index

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNickGuy View Post
    So, I have a theory and a question:

Theory: The Monster in the Darkness is Serini, only cursed or using various power items or something. It's PROBABLY not Serini, but that's been my running theory for a few years now.
    I think it would completely cheapen the MITD's arc if all that growth and learning to think for himself (and that is how he identifies, lest we forget) was all an act being put on by Serini.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    In 3.5, the French edition of Sending gave us 30 words instead of 25. It was not ported into 5E, sadly.
    It is more difficult to say thing in 25 words in French than in English.
    The Hungarian edition keeps the 25 words, even though all messages in the comic could be comfortably relayed in 20. I tried translating Nale's attempts, and it was pretty hard getting him cut off by a 25-word limit (while keeping his monologue plausible).

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

In hindsight, Lien shouldn't have used words telling Haley where they are, and should have instead have mentioned that the MitD is helping delay Xykon. But hindsight, as is often the case, is also the year that book 7 will begin.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I forget the guys name but suppose super paranoid illusionist guy is behind this with all the stuff with the invisibility and what not.

This sounds like a strange idea on its premise I admit, and even with his dragon blood granting him an extended life span, I believe his life would have ended by now, and dodging familicide and having it effect his clan seems like an odd stretch that would need filling in.

So another idea might be nale who was reborn as a demon clansmen. But even I don't know if this is possible. I'll make a thread to this topic if it hasn't been made yet, so that I can keep track of this topic better.
    Vae Victus!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    In hindsight, Lien shouldn't have used words telling Haley where they are, and should have instead have mentioned that the MitD is helping delay Xykon. But hindsight, as is often the case, is also the year that book 7 will begin.
    That’s a really good point. Last time the Oots met MitD, he told Haley that he thought he was supposed to devour them (though also conveyed his childlike nature to her).

Love the last sentence, by the way. Nice twist on the aphorism.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Grab them before ONE of the bugbears spots us."
    The grammar is correct.
    Oops
    You’re right
    My excuse is it’s way too early here
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

In 3.5, the French edition of Sending gave us 30 words instead of 25. It was not ported into 5E, sadly.
    It is more difficult to say thing in 25 words in French than in English.
    Now I'm picturing the German Sending allowing only a single word.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

For all the mysteries that the Invisible Mystery Speech Bubble People bring, can we at least agree that they should be the last new "side" introduced in the main plot?

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    3) it's likely not enor and ganji, "grab one of them" implies that each character is capable of carying another character, while in their case enor does all the carying for them
    It's not "Grab one of them", it's just "Grab them".

11. - Top - End - #221

Kobold

Hey, hi, haven't read the whole thread, just wanted to post my thoughts on the new comic.

Wow, nice ending. That'll keep us in suspense until the next update! Weirdly enough, what captured my attention most about this page was the single panel for Team Evil. Really like what's going on there. I keep seeing people say that MITD's plan is bad, but it's actually pretty dang solid to me. Assuming that the Gate IS behind one of the doors, if they simply went a-plunderin' one by one, crossing them off as they go, they WOULD eventually reach the Gate. But if MITD crosses off ones that they haven't gone into, by the time they reach the end (assuming they haven't hit the door with the Gate yet), they would have to start all over. That's a serious time delay--maybe they would fight amongst one another (RC blames Oona? or MITD? in that case it's a noble sacrifice on MITD's part) before starting all over again (harder without the extra member that they would "out") or maybe they would decide that the door setup was a ruse, and the Gate is somewhere else--and if the Gate is behind one of the doors, that could throw them off the scent entirely (for awhile at least).

The main problem with it is that MITD could unintentionally be accelerating their search if he keeps crossing off doors that don't have the Gate. But it's a shot in the dark. There's always the same chance that the door they pick will be the right one--and they have as much chance of hitting that door with any trip in as MITD does of crossing off that door. I'd say the blind chaos MITD is throwing is works against TE better than the slow but methodical slog RC was going for.

I do think the pace is what's going to be MITD's downfall, though. The rest of TE is going to notice something is up soon. RC didn't want to go into the caves more than once originally--now they're trying to do six in one go? They're only going to trust the doors over their memories so long (and the only reason they've been more willing to trust the doors is because going through the caves is probably long, exhausting, and a bit of a blur due to their lack of distinction inside--but even in grindy slogs you begin to realize what's unrealistic and what's not). If MITD had crossed off one or two extra doors, and not consistently, it would take longer for them to catch on and they also wouldn't be progressing through the caves as quickly. I don't think making them so exhausted and tapped out on spells that running six caves puts them at risk for being killed by the monsters within was the plan. So why so fast? Why not just one or two extra doors at a time? They wouldn't have figured it out until near the very end (or even after they had gone through all the doors) if MITD had restrained himself in that way?

Now, as for Lien and O-Chul's mystery kidnappers:
    Don't think it's Serini or anyone involved with her just because of the attitude they're taking and how they end the book. If it wasn't for the last two panels, I could believe Serini maybe hired some things to bring them to her (to interrogate? team up with? who knows!)--but with the lack of confidence there... it just doesn't jive with the rest of the Gatekeepers. They've all been pretty dedicated to their Gate and keeping it out of harm's way at any cost. That we would suddenly have such a jump and have Serini (or anyone she hired) have such a defeated attitude about it... no. That doesn't seem right to my inner bard. There are tons of ways to write the end of book dialogue that could keep Serini as a suspect and show the gravity of the situation, and this isn't one of them.

Don't have much else to add. I don't like guessing with so little to go on. I am noting that it seems like the orange one is big (carrying both paladins) and the green one is smaller (carrying both weapons--or the orange one has more than two limbs/is floating the weapons), that they waited until after the Sending was complete (think it's more likely that they wanted them to contact the OotS and let them know their status before they hauled them off, than them just being "set to go" as soon as someone mentions opening doors, because this is surely not the first time the paladins have discussed their plans for opening the doors in the future, even in passing), that they wanted to bring their weapons with them, that they are not so formidable that they aren't scared of getting the bugbears' attention, and that the darts seem to be coming from eye level to a little below eye level.

That's all I've got! Two months are gonna fly in no time. At least I'll have the new comic before my birthday. :)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Well, sorry for forgetting that there aren't actually any rules for resting in this old, decrepit edition. Either way, you got what I meant: 8 hour rest.
    Redcloak is a cleric. He only gets spells once per day (at dusk, since he's Evil).

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Redcloak is a cleric. He only gets spells once per day (at dusk, since he's Evil).
    Similarly, Xykon also can only refresh his spell energy once per day, as does Oona if she has any Ranger spell slots(and the Wisdom to use them I guess). And if the MitD has SLAs, a good chunk of them will likely be limited on a daily basis if they're not all at-will.
    Awesome custom psywar avatar made by Coronalwave. Thanks dude!

Most of my old signature has been moved to the new extended signature.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Similarly, Xykon also can only refresh his spell energy once per day, as does Oona if she has any Ranger spell slots(and the Wisdom to use them I guess). And if the MitD has SLAs, a good chunk of them will likely be limited on a daily basis if they're not all at-will.
    I've not seen a single indication that the MitD has ever used his powers to help Team Evil, like, ever. No reason for him to start now, and it also seems clear that Xykon and Redcloak have long since given up hope that he'll do something effective.

Spoiler: SOD Spoiler
    Show
    In fact, it seems highly likely that Xykon only still tolerates his presence as insurance against Redcloak. The good thing for him is that there's no way in the universe Redcloak will ever foresee the Monster actually attacking him should he turn on Xykon.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well, I've read it and had a think and I've come to the conclusion that there is only one word capable of summing this up.

WHAT.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    I've not seen a single indication that the MitD has ever used his powers to help Team Evil, like, ever. No reason for him to start now, and it also seems clear that Xykon and Redcloak have long since given up hope that he'll do something effective.

Spoiler: SOD Spoiler
    Show
    In fact, it seems highly likely that Xykon only still tolerates his presence as insurance against Redcloak. The good thing for him is that there's no way in the universe Redcloak will ever foresee the Monster actually attacking him should he turn on Xykon.
    Who knows? We've never seen what goes on inside those doors... okay that came out a bit wrong.

You know what I mean, though.
    Awesome custom psywar avatar made by Coronalwave. Thanks dude!

Most of my old signature has been moved to the new extended signature.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

It never ceases to amaze me that after all these years the Giant can still keep us guessing and then hit us with a swerve that nobody saw coming. I don't know how he does it.

Okay, so my 2 coppers on the possible identities of the paladins' assailants:

1) Gate guardians of some sort. I do not think either of them is Serini herself, though I suppose it's possible. I think it more likely that Serini is either dead of old age or old enough that she's passed over the duties of guarding the gate to a successor. We also know that she gathered up the strongest monsters she could to guard the gate, and many high-CR monsters are pretty intelligent. My money is on these two being monstrous agents of the gate's defense forces who spotted the paladins spying on Xykon, overheard them communicating to reinforcements, and decided to abduct them to get more information and possibly secure an alliance.

2) Another possibility: what if the Eastern pantheon wasn't truly destroyed, but drawn inside the Snarl? What if they're the ones who created the world within that even the other gods don't know about? The biggest flaw I see in this possibility is that the Eastern gods would only have access to one color of quiddity, but perhaps they've found a way to draw out threads of other colors from the Snarl itself and weave them into this world. I don't think this is the most likely possibility, but I can't find a way to disprove it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!

18. - Top - End - #228

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    Your conclusion seems...plausible, though I still feel less plausible than “IFCC minions” (though the two aren’t really mutually exclusive, are they?).

However I don’t buy your response to #1. That is not what a “peaceful conversation” looks like, or even an attempt at one later from a position of power—and why would the revelation that reinforcements were arriving in two days provoke this kind of immediate response? And given that they were worried about a bugbear spotting them, it makes little sense to me to try this while Xykon and his group were out unless they expected they might need to use his presence to pressure one of the paladins.

And #3. Doing this while Xykon was inside would be WAY more effective at preventing him from spotting them.
    Maybe peacefull wasnt the right word, but if they are something the paladins would attack on sight, or heck given that they are in enemy territory any approach might have made the palas panic and do something rash.
    A bugbear spotting them scares them cause they would alert team evil, and this whole operation was to mantain secrecy.
    Only the recipient of the sending spell can hear the message, so they only heard Liens response and what she told to O'Chull, so they dont know who is coming. If this was the only approach possible, it is a lot easier while there is only two of them.
    As for why do it while Xykon is there? Easy they said it themselves, its a deterrent for a fight should the paladins offer unexpected resistance, they are invisible, the paladins would be in a much higher risk if the evil guys spot them.

I believe they need the paladins and the element of surprise and this is an approach that ensures both, even if it is rude and forcefull, they probably think they can convince the paladins given time to explain.
    Heck, they might even bring them to the gate and say "destroy it, we will go out with this world, but the gods will save the souls of every other being on this plane" which is scary, cause its a very paladin thing to do.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    We can tell it's someone with Greater Invisibility, does that rule out anything?
    The United Federation Of Planets, before Deep Space 9?
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Noooooooo! What a cliffhanger to end on. The wait will be horrible, thankfully this wait will be for a better reason than the horrible hand injury. I hope it's a nice holiday and rest for you Rich. :)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post
    This sounds like a strange idea on its premise I admit, and even with his dragon blood granting him an extended life span, I believe his life would have ended by now, and dodging familicide and having it effect his clan seems like an odd stretch that would need filling in.
    We've already seen Girard's skeletal corpse in the pyramid, so your theory requires not only the stuff you mention, but that his family put another corpse in there in his place--and why would they do that?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    We've already seen Girard's skeletal corpse in the pyramid, so your theory requires not only the stuff you mention, but that his family put another corpse in there in his place--and why would they do that?
    Because they're illusionists, they mislead people.

However, for all the other reasons I'm completely crossing off Girard as an option. It's not him.

(Although familicide might allow a save only an epic level character could nah...)
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

23. - Top - End - #233

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    If this is the north pole, then "southeast ledge" is a pretty useless description of the paladins' location.
    Presuming the doors side of the area is located at true North and there are ledges all over the sides, south is the side facing directly across from the doors, and east is to the right when facing the doors, west is to the left when facing the doors, it isn't useful if the area is centered around the pole, but works if the pole is on a specific side.

-----------------------

The Voices are Hermes (Green) and Banjo (Orange). They represent the Lost Quiddity and the Secret New Quiddity.

Hermes knows Banjo only exists because Elan, and an Island full of Goblinoids that picked Banjo & Giggles over the Dark One as their deities, believe in Banjo, ergo asking Banjo about it being fun while it lasted.

Obviously the Western, Northern, and Southern Pantheons don't share info about the Snarl nor the Eastern Pantheon, so the only way for anyone to know the truth is from someone who was in the know, but believed dead, an Eastern Pantheon Member. We know Odin wanted Banjo in his Pantheon, so the North recognizes he exists, which means just as Tiamat can talk with Hel, Hermes can be mentoring the rookie Banjo in secret.
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2019-12-03 at 03:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Evil cliffhanger! I approve

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    The United Federation Of Planets, before Deep Space 9?
    Unless, of course, they conveniently happen to have captured a bird-of-prey.

On topic: Others are indeed not ruled out, especially as they could likely also be using magic items or whatnot to get Greater Invisibility.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    That was my first idea too, probably because they have colored speech bubbles. But the IFCC don't seem to want to destroy the world, and while they could have plans that involve the current world and a lot of its inhabitants seizing to exist I don't think they employ anybody noble enough to voluntarily and inescapably die for that cause.

They could easily be evil, they might just need some reason to want the paladins alive.
    Stop suppressing their culture.
    Tardy Elves FTW!
    I was thinking of a policy of "Uncroak now, disinter later". - Me

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Why would the United Federation Of Planets travel across the multiverse to capture Oracle, Huntress or Black Canary?

But maybe you are onto something here... maybe it's Batman!!!
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Why would the United Federation Of Planets travel across the multiverse to capture Oracle, Huntress or Black Canary?
    C'mon! They are girls and this is Kirk.
    ------- 5E MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage. - - Petrocorus' Paladin Builds List. - - 3.5 Reference Index

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

eek Re: OOTS #1189 - The Discussion Thread

Crikey! That's a cliffhanger that is.

It's going to be a long two months.

30. - Top - End - #240

Anyone else getting the Haley-like feeling the Gate isn't behind any of the doors?