New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The identity of the mysterious voices.

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Now you two are just being silly. That Guy With A Halberd is quite clearly Trigak in disguise. Also, everyone has been trapped in an illusion since strip 1.
    And Roy is actually Fyron’s son.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

2. - Top - End - #122

WolfInSheepsClothing

I get the impression that elves were decided to all be androgynous somewhere between SOD and V’s family’s appearance/team peregrine’s introduction.

3. - Top - End - #123

Lizardfolk

Also possible is that there's elves of all gender identities and the viewing sample isn't large enough to extrapolate for the entire species.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Well, Babylon was a notable city-state in Mesopotamia which rose to power in ancient times, and the time period after it was conquered by the Persian Empire in 6th Century BC could be considered the "fifth" Babylonian era (following the Old Babylon, Middle Babylon, Neo-Assyrian, and Neo-Babylonian periods) - or as many of its fans refer to it, "Babylon 5."

It's not as well-known or popular as some other empires of the genre, and unfortunately it was cancelled after only a couple centuries, by Alexander the Great - but it has since developed quite a cult following. Babylon 5 fan groups are all over the internet, celebrating the great achievements of Babylon as it became the new center of the Persian Empire, and bickering over plot details and minutiae from texts in Herodotus and the Cyrus Cylinder. You'll even see their fans cosplaying at conventions as their favorite Babylon 5 characters, like Cyrus the Great, Darius II, and Nebuchadnezzar IV.

Just don't confuse them with other, more popular ancient empires. Babylon 5 fans are very sensitive about being overshadowed by the more visible franchises of the genre. I mean, sure, "Egyptian 19th Dynasty" is the one that gets the mainstream attention, and the catchphrases, and the gaudy reboots featuring Chris Pine, but once you get past the pyramids and the mummies, it just lacks substance.

Babylon 5 had complexity.
    May I put this quote in my extended signature?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mysterious Voices (which I love that they're being called various muppet names XD) are most likely either from Serini's gate itself (the oathspirit thing), IFFC's begrudging workers, or a mysterious third party.

One thing I'd like to add: look at SRD, the poison that stands out is Drow Poison. Drow Poison is an injury poison, and inflicts unconsciousness on both primary and secondary damage. I can't explain why they'd have Drow poison (they might just be high level enough that they can find some easy), but it suggests that the poison may have been meant to knock the Paladins out instead of killing them outright. They may well be against the party, but they aren't necessarily going to kill them outright.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I can't explain why they'd have Drow poison
    Why would that need explanation? Did we need an explanation on why did Tarquin know Drow hand gestures? Assuming that's the given poison, it's enough to know they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    it suggests that the poison may have been meant to knock the Paladins out instead of killing them outright. They may well be against the party, but they aren't necessarily going to kill them outright.
    If they wanted to kill them, they'd chop their heads off instead of dragging their unconscious bodies.

They wanted them alive regardless of the poison used.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    They wanted them alive regardless of the poison used.
    We only have the word of one of the voices that the poison they hit O-Chul with would kill him. It's entirely probable that was a lie meant to force Lien into surrendering without a fight.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    We only have the word of one of the voices that the poison they hit O-Chul with would kill him. It's entirely probable that was a lie meant to force Lien into surrendering without a fight.
    They also didn't give O-Chul or Lien an antidote, even though they clearly want to take them alive and talked about it taking two minutes for the poison to kill.

Probably a bluff.

Though that would speak against them being Fair Folk who are bound to be true to their word, as "keep the toxins from burning through his veins" is ... well, debatable. Can you keep something from doing something it would not have done in the first place?

9. - Top - End - #129

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    They also didn't give O-Chul or Lien an antidote, even though they clearly want to take them alive and talked about it taking two minutes for the poison to kill.

Probably a bluff.

Though that would speak against them being Fair Folk who are bound to be true to their word, as "keep the toxins from burning through his veins" is ... well, debatable. Can you keep something from doing something it would not have done in the first place?
    I doubt it's fey/fae/fair folk/fum; it feels like an unnecessary complication when exactly the same role could be played by chaotic outsiders, humanoids, oathspirits or Muppets.

A thought that cropped up was possibly Manticores. They're intelligent, can fly, attack with poison darts, and it'd make some sense for them to be left in charge of a dungeon of super-monsters.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2019-12-09 at 10:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post

Probably a bluff.

The antidote might have been administered off-panel. In the second to last panel the bubbles are gone, but that might just be an artifact of having zoomed out. So I'm going to call the status of the antidote "unclear".

It's possible that neither attacker has the antidote on their person, but that they can get to wherever it's being kept in under two minutes. Until we get more information, it's impossible to say, really.

11. - Top - End - #131

I can’t imagine it matters what poison it was. Either Kermit was lying about an antidote because the poison would not kill O-Chul, or Kermit came prepared with the antidote and was lying about any intention of withholding it. Both methods strike me as very Neutral (or at least neither Good nor Evil).

The only remaining alternative — that Kermit truly would have let O-Chul die — doesn’t indicate much. As stated in the comic, Kermit’s move was to leverage the antidote to secure cooperation.
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-12-09 at 12:24 PM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

12. - Top - End - #132

HalflingRogueGuy

Can we all stay focused and agree on the obvious?

This is clearly Popcorn and Laser Snail.

Edit: on a far more serious note, my guess is that these are gate guardians.

They know the battle over the final gate will occur soon, and with it they will be released from whatever magic binds them to existence.

And, my guess is that they have decided to take Lien and O’Chul to the gate.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-12-09 at 02:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

neither of them can be RC's neice; she is female, and a cleric but we from years past
    And of course all female clerics are Hilya in disquise and carrying Durkon's baby. It all fits now.
    Except Minrah, of course, who started out as a Fighter.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-12-10 at 10:57 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

I would agree that they're dragons, mainly based on the color scheme on their speech bubbles. However, I can't find any contradictions to it, either:

1. The devil-like attitude of the green voice in its "Sorry, the contract didn't include..." style is indicative of the Lawful Evil of the green dragon;
    2. Dragons can fly, which explains that;
    3. Green dragons have Bluff, Hide, and Move Silently as skills, all of which would be pretty helpful in the scenario this monster is in (note that you don't see an invisible outline; possibly explained by obscenely high Hide scores? Also, epic usages of Hide can hide another as well...);
    4. Dragons often know lots of languages, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to be speaking Common;
    5. Given the Order of the Scribble's many adventures, and given Serini's searches far and wide for an incredible number of monsters, it wouldn't be to hard for her to somehow bind the two to the protection of the gate.

Any objections to this idea?
    Last edited by ByzantiumBhuka; 2019-12-12 at 01:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantiumBhuka View Post
    I would agree that they're dragons, mainly based on the color scheme on their speech bubbles. However, I can't find any contradictions to it, either:

1. The devil-like attitude of the green voice in its "Sorry, the contract didn't include..." style is indicative of the Lawful Evil of the green dragon;
    2. Dragons can fly, which explains that;
    3. Green dragons have Bluff, Hide, and Move Silently as skills, all of which would be pretty helpful in the scenario this monster is in (note that you don't see an invisible outline; possibly explained by obscenely high Hide scores? Also, epic usages of Hide can hide another as well...);
    4. Dragons often know lots of languages, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to be speaking Common;
    5. Given the Order of the Scribble's many adventures, and given Serini's searches far and wide for an incredible number of monsters, it wouldn't be to hard for her to somehow bind the two to the protection of the gate.

Any objections to this idea?
    Dragons were shown to have magical abilities, such as mama black dragon, so another dragon having magical proficiency isn't impossible. It could serve as an interesting call back.

I saw in an episode of dragon ball super where a tiny bug knocked people off the tournament grounds to devastating effect. He succeeded due to his small stature. Could a similar thing be in effect?

The bug was even assumed to be invisible, but he was just small, which is how he avoided detection.
    Vae Victus!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post
    I saw in an episode of dragon ball super where a tiny bug knocked people off the tournament grounds to devastating effect. He succeeded due to his small stature. Could a similar thing be in effect?

The bug was even assumed to be invisible, but he was just small, which is how he avoided detection.
    I highly doubt it; considering the large size that Orange Guy has to be in order to "grab them," it's unlikely that that sort of invisibility is possible.

Besides, Lien and O-Chul are capable of seeing an imp, and it's unlikely that there's anything smaller than an imp which is capable of holding a dart-shooter.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Has anyone considered that Scooter, (aka Orange Guy,) might be multiple creatures?

Let's assume a rogue group of goblinoid, um... rogues... which live among the bugbears and which actually work for Serinni or her appointed gate guardian, (Boss.)

Halfling Rangers who are disguised as goblins would also fill the bill. In this case, Serinni may have recruited a corps of rangers to supervise the gate's defense. This would allow them to move around unseen and leave no tracks, even in snow.

So. I propose Serinni has left an arctic druid and a cadre of rangers as the gate's ulthmate guardians, and may in fact be Kermit.

The green speech bubble may be explained by the possibility that she is shape changed or otherwise magically altered either as a disguise or to extend her lifespan.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I highly doubt it; considering the large size that Orange Guy has to be in order to "grab them," it's unlikely that that sort of invisibility is possible.

Besides, Lien and O-Chul are capable of seeing an imp, and it's unlikely that there's anything smaller than an imp which is capable of holding a dart-shooter.
    you mean the bug idea? what if one of them is a bug, the other is a large beast, subservient to the smaller one, ala vegeta and nappa?

I'm guessing psychic power is out of the question either, as an aura effect would probably show up around them. Unless the one lifting them is the little psion who could.
    Vae Victus!

19. - Top - End - #139

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Has anyone considered that Scooter, (aka Orange Guy,) might be multiple creatures?
    From the angles of the paladins and their weapons being carried away, I make it three humanoids. Of course it could be a Ravid or Behir.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Hmmm... A blue dragon thing and a red dragon thing... It must be Tiamat!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... A blue dragon thing and a red dragon thing... It must be Tiamat!
    You're blueing this, but this is a hypothesis i and several others actually made seriously.
    Not Tiamat herself of course, but someone working for her.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

22. - Top - End - #142

Planetar

The Snarl and his captured thrall...Kraagor

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I read that a one off character from the comic will be returning to play an integral role in the 1st half of the next book.

Maybe the green or red voiced character is that person?

So, are we ruling out gods, demi gods and other such deities?

Was surtur in any more than 1?
    Last edited by WolvesbaneIII; 2019-12-14 at 10:12 PM.
    Vae Victus!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    And, my guess is that they have decided to take Lien and O’Chul to the gate.
    I agree with one aspect of your theory.

The gate is not behind any of the doors. It's somewhere else -- possibly under Kraagor's statue.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

The gate is not behind any of the doors. It's somewhere else -- possibly under Kraagor's statue.
    Why build an incredibly complex dungeon based on multiple doors, if the enemy can find the treasure just stepping onto the wrong statue?

Hailey explained that in the last gate.

However, back on the voices topic, I still think that they are monsters tied with the last gate, and that they are a green (boss) and a red slaad. I know that slaadi seem to be too chaotic for doing this, but I decided not to care about logic. I just like it that way, because a Slaad has been foreshadowed before and because I think that MitD is a black slaad.

I'm counting the day we need to wait until the comic is done. I can't believe how much time has passed since Durkula's death. I love this comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

26. - Top - End - #146

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

I’m not even sure if I agree with my theory.

The question in my mind is: Do you need to defeat a bunch of epic level monsters to get to the final gate?

In one way, that seems incredibly unlikely. Kraagor was an epic level barbarian. He may possibly have been the best in the history of the world at slicing through epic level monsters in hand-to-hand combat. He probably had a bag of holding overflowing with necklaces made from epic level monster teeth.

Why would Sereni guard Kraagor’s gate with defenses Kraagor could have easily defeated?

Maybe because Kraagor would have enjoyed defeating them. Maybe Sereni hoped Kraagor himself was going to walk out of that gate and defeat them.

I don’t know.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BasiliskSoldier View Post
    Considering that we've seen Girard Draketooth's very dead skeleton, it's safe to assume he's not one of the two voices. Also the voice doesn't really fit the way he's spoken in flashbacks. Nale has the same issue. Super dead, and the dialogue doesn't really fit his character.

I heard Serini-as-oathspirit floated as an option, which is possible I suppose. Honestly, my money is on 'new characters' until proven otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't being entirely serious about it being jirard. Though if he were alive, putting a fake corpse or skeleton in a tomb wouldn't be unreasonable. Faking ones death and masquerading around as a non legendary spell caster wouldn't be impossible.

The only point "in favor of" (but not really) of it being a fake skeleton is the strip here.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0431.html

Red cloak admits he didn't go out of his way to get 3 skeletons that looksed like xykon, and that the 3 pendants were just so he could tell them apart. Now imagine girard had a similar idea, at least before he died, and he died else where. So even if it isn't his skeleton, he could easily have kicked the bucket in a less than ideal place.

So while it looks like I'm disagreeing with you, I'm actually not...
    Late to this particular part of the party, but even if it was a fake skeleton, we have plenty of evidence that Girard would not have survived the Familicide cast by Darth V. So even if he faked his death to his family, he's almost certainly toast now.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    In one way, that seems incredibly unlikely. Kraagor was an epic level barbarian. He may possibly have been the best in the history of the world at slicing through epic level monsters in hand-to-hand combat. He probably had a bag of holding overflowing with necklaces made from epic level monster teeth.

Why would Sereni guard Kraagor’s gate with defenses Kraagor could have easily defeated?
    Why would whether Kraagor could defeat them have anything to do with it? The point of the defences was to stop anyone else from getting to the gate too easily.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    Why would whether Kraagor could defeat them have anything to do with it? The point of the defences was to stop anyone else from getting to the gate too easily.
    Plus, we have no idea how powerful Kraagor was or how well he would do against Serini's monsters. All we can say for sure is that a party consisting of a high epic level lich sorcerer, a cleric of at least 17th level, and whatever Oona and the MitD are come out of those dungeons looking pretty beat up. (See strip #1040). Seems unlikely that a single barbarian would be able to handily defeat those critters if a high-powered party like that has trouble.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Late to this particular part of the party, but even if it was a fake skeleton, we have plenty of evidence that Girard would not have survived the Familicide cast by Darth V. So even if he faked his death to his family, he's almost certainly toast now.
    Well, I think that much was obvious yes, unless his illusion magic was so epic it tricked another epic level spell, which is highly doubtful.

Though, that epic wizard who transported vast armies was able to wiggle through xykons epic cloister spell, made up by another epic wizard, but that's beside the point.

I really don't think girard survived familicide.

Question on familicide, does it skip a generation if the guy it targets next is dead, or does it go to the next available target?

Suppose girard was dead (which he is) and it targets him, but he's already dead, does the spell fizzle out, or does it go to the next guy? Unless this is a plot point, or plot hole, I'm assuming it just targets the next in line even if the father is already dead.

Hmm. looks like I answered my question already.
    Vae Victus!