New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What would be the best system to run a tabletop RPG set in a John Wick-like universe?

So let's say I want to run a game in a universe similar to John Wick. Or even the John Wick universe itself. A world of gunplay, ruthless criminal politics and luxurious settings, where the profession of freelance hitman seems very common and even respectable.

I'm thinking that World of Darkness might be good for this. It's a system that is both simple and versatile, and include mechanics for gun use, kung fu, stealth, and calling upon your allies, retainers and contacts. Perhaps Shadowrun would be good too, if you remove the magical and futuristic elements.

Any other suggestions?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What would be the best system to run a tabletop RPG set in a John Wick-like unive

WoD breaks down *hard* when you have mass combats though, especially if it's the sort of many-goons vs. one badass fights John Wick loves to deliver, because of how it splits dice pools/effectiveness when attacking multiple targets.

Shadowrun suffers from a similar problem, though to a much smaller degree. It might be the best crunch-heavy system i can think of for this idea though. Lighter, more cinematic options would be something like Savage Worlds (FATE isn't appropriate for this, IMO).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What would be the best system to run a tabletop RPG set in a John Wick-like unive

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    So let's say I want to run a game in a universe similar to John Wick. Or even the John Wick universe itself. A world of gunplay, ruthless criminal politics and luxurious settings, where the profession of freelance hitman seems very common and even respectable.

I'm thinking that World of Darkness might be good for this. It's a system that is both simple and versatile, and include mechanics for gun use, kung fu, stealth, and calling upon your allies, retainers and contacts. Perhaps Shadowrun would be good too, if you remove the magical and futuristic elements.

Any other suggestions?
    Haha no.

You want something like Hollowpoint that's actually built around this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2019-12-03 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

For John Wick, I'd think you'd want a system which clearly distinguishes between "heroes" and "mooks". Best systems I know for that are Mutants and Masterminds, and Exalted.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Savage Worlds.

Full Stop.

And let me add: No. You do NOT want to play anything "beyond normal world+Mystical Stuff thats also kinda fragile with O/NWoD Systems. Even Exalted needed quite a bit of seperation in hero/Mortal/Mook to make it work, and thats on a whole other Power Level.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Haven't played Hollowpoint, but it seems custom made for this.

If you wanted to do the work, a PbtA skin could work really well, but I don't think one exists.

Beyond that, I'd probably go either Fate Core or Savage Worlds depending on how much I wanted to focus on plot and other stuff vs. combat.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Feng Shui can be what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Pilo; 2019-12-04 at 04:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Savage Worlds.

Full Stop.
    This would be my recommendation as well.

And the whole idea of using any WoD system for this is, to be honest, utterly bewildering to me, that's just about the last system that comes to my mind for a setting like this.

9. - Top - End - #9

DrowGuy

how about COPS? it's built to parody action movies, after all. not too sure about its availability though. i remember it very easy to pick up...
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Gonna add to the chorus of 'not WoD'. It's the right TONE for the setting, but mechanically not what you want. The only thing it brings to the table there is the idea of a 'how much of a monster have you become' trait to track where the PCs currently sit on the scale that runs from 'happy husband' to 'Baba Yaga.' And you could tack that on to any of the other recommended systems pretty easily.

11. - Top - End - #11

I would use GURPS because that’s what I like. They have relevant supplements to do with action sequences and gun play.

John Wick have Weapon Master, Gunslinger, Combat Reflexes, Ambidextrous, Extra Attack and probably Guns! and Fist! bang skills. I think he’d be about a 400 point character.
    Last edited by Mr Beer; 2019-12-07 at 08:15 PM.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't Wushu basically tailor-made for such high-octane righteous revenge action? I've never tried it, but I've had it pitched to me this way.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Feng Shui can be what you are looking for.
    Yup. It's got all the Gun-Fu you could want, and it nearly invented mook rules.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).