New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Help finding a feat, please

So, I am trying to find a 3.5 or PF1 feat that I remember as being something like: If you fly by means of wings of any sort, you can hide them, absorb them, or tuck them away so that they aren't visible unless you're naked or maybe even unless UR given an actual physical exam. It might be a monster feat, but Savage Species came up blank. I've looked at the Wizard's archives as best as I could, and also that site by a guy named Marvin who might or might not be in PA, as well as the place where you can get help with your Realms. On the Pathfinder side, I've looked at Archives of Nethys and the 1st Ed. SRD. I don't think it's from D&D Wiki, and I really just want it for some cool fluff maybe, but I'm really bugged by not remembering it. Any assistance would bring good gaming karma
    Thanks in advance, E

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Help finding a feat, please

I know a template for it, but it's NPC only sadly....
    Anyway, it's called aberrant limb, and can be applied to any type of extremities from what I remember.
    It should be in one of the DMG but I'm away from books.
    There is also the swift wing PRC that gives dismissible dragon wings at lvl 5 as a SU ability.
    If there are other ways to do it I would like to hear about them
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Also pseudodragons takes easily more screen time than "true" dragons.
    (but it is fair: "true" dragons are not telepathic venomous flying cats and so does not deserve screen time like a pseudodragon)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Hat of Disguise is probably the easiest way around this.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Erik the Green View Post
    So, I am trying to find a 3.5 or PF1 feat that I remember as being something like: If you fly by means of wings of any sort, you can hide them, absorb them, or tuck them away so that they aren't visible unless you're naked or maybe even unless UR given an actual physical exam. It might be a monster feat, but Savage Species came up blank. I've looked at the Wizard's archives as best as I could, and also that site by a guy named Marvin who might or might not be in PA, as well as the place where you can get help with your Realms. On the Pathfinder side, I've looked at Archives of Nethys and the 1st Ed. SRD. I don't think it's from D&D Wiki, and I really just want it for some cool fluff maybe, but I'm really bugged by not remembering it. Any assistance would bring good gaming karma
    Thanks in advance, E
    I'll be honest, I just checked D&D wiki since you brought it up, and it appears to in fact be a homebrew feat on there.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconding Hat of Disguise. You have better things to do with a feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Why does the character have wings? Are they from a specific race, template or some magical effect? That sorta stuff matters a lot in narrowing it down :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

Maybe from Races of the Wild? That book has all the crazy winged elves and cat furries and whatnot. Now that I think about it, the Races supplements were mostly furries or Core races with one difference.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    I'll be honest, I just checked D&D wiki since you brought it up, and it appears to in fact be a homebrew feat on there.
    in case people missed, the problem seems to have been solved already.

9. - Top - End - #9

GreenSorcererElf

Thumbs up Re: Help finding a feat, please

In order:

The Count-Thanks, I should look into the swift wing PRC. Is that Races of the Wild or which?

Hellpyre-Right, Hidden Wing, a spelltouched feat of all things. That'll teach me to take better notes. Thanks.

TinyMushroom-From a template, but he/I would like to be able to hide the implications of big fluffy white and silver Celestial wings, especially when undercover in the bad guy bar & so forth.

Gauntlet, Hiro-Read the OP much? 'Cause I've never heard of a Hat of Disguise before.

Remulko-Yes, thank you. It was on the 4th page of the D&D Wiki's compiled non-Epic feats and I apparently didn't already know the exact name when I did a quick search before trying this post.

Librarian protip, BTW, many if not most searches care about plural vs singular eg. wings vs wing and won't tell you that or tell you about similar results to your exact search string (a deluxe feature that costs extra, it would seem)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Count-Thanks, I should look into the swift wing PRC. Is that Races of the Wild or which?
    Dragon Magic.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

There is a feat called Celestial Sorcerer Wings. This feat is a supernatural ability that enables you to "spawn a pair of spectral, magical wings that glow with majestic power," and you can fly with them. You have to expend a spell slot to activate this ability, and the wings last only for as many rounds as the level of the spell slot you expended.

In order to take this feat, you have to be a sorcerer, and you have to take the Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feat as a prerequisite. These feats are discussed on pages 90 and 91 of the PLAYER'S HANDBOOK II v. 3.5 (2006).

12. - Top - End - #12

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    There is a feat called Celestial Sorcerer Wings. This feat is a supernatural ability that enables you to "spawn a pair of spectral, magical wings that glow with majestic power," and you can fly with them. You have to expend a spell slot to activate this ability, and the wings last only for as many rounds as the level of the spell slot you expended.

In order to take this feat, you have to be a sorcerer, and you have to take the Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feat as a prerequisite. These feats are discussed on pages 90 and 91 of the PLAYER'S HANDBOOK II v. 3.5 (2006).
    Duke, thanks. That is in the vicinity of the effect I was looking for, but it costs too much for too short a duration. In PF similar class abilities at least give you a minute per. :)
    OTOH, as an SU effect it is a decent emergency measure barring an AMF being in play. Could be nice for a Pal/Sor gestalt that mainly fronts as a paladin, using their magic for support.
    Eg. "Ha, ha, you silly running around on bended knees English ka-nig-it I mean paladin, now you will fall to your doom in my pit of really aggravated weasels."
    "Well, actually, those aren't my _only_ wings of flying." Whoosh, boot to the head...

13. - Top - End - #13

HalflingRogueGirl

Duke, thanks. That is in the vicinity of the effect I was looking for, but it costs too much for too short a duration. In PF similar class abilities at least give you a minute per. :)
    OTOH, as an SU effect it is a decent emergency measure barring an AMF being in play. Could be nice for a Pal/Sor gestalt that mainly fronts as a paladin, using their magic for support.
    Eg. "Ha, ha, you silly running around on bended knees English ka-nig-it I mean paladin, now you will fall to your doom in my pit of really aggravated weasels."
    "Well, actually, those aren't my _only_ wings of flying." Whoosh, boot to the head...
    If you're happy with effects like that, I recommend either Animal Devotion, and fueling it as any other devotion feat, or getting access to the Pegasus Cloak soulmeld. There aren't physical wings, but they're there when you need them.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

14. - Top - End - #14

RogueGuy

Gauntlet, Hiro-Read the OP much? 'Cause I've never heard of a Hat of Disguise before.
    Just for the record, Hat of Disguise is one of the most basic items from the DMG/SRD.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

15. - Top - End - #15

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    If you're happy with effects like that, I recommend either Animal Devotion, and fueling it as any other devotion feat, or getting access to the Pegasus Cloak soulmeld. There aren't physical wings, but they're there when you need them.
    Ooh, not big on Incarnum and that whole big blue can of worms, but Animal Devotion is a cool suggestion.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

To people suggesting using hat of disguise to hide wings, let me remind you Disguise Self says this very key statement: "You cannot change your body type." So you can't make your wings disappear with a hat of disguise, you can only change them to look like something else.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

17. - Top - End - #17

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    To people suggesting using hat of disguise to hide wings, let me remind you Disguise Self says this very key statement: "You cannot change your body type." So you can't make your wings disappear with a hat of disguise, you can only change them to look like something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You could add or obscure a minor feature...
    So a case could be made that if you kept your wings close to your body, (think Goliath from Gargoyles,) you could disguise them as a cloak or similar.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

18. - Top - End - #18

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Just so. In addition to wasting the Head slot if you wish to wear a +Int or +Cha item, and falling down in the face of True Seeing (but what doesn't, eh?), a Hat of Disguise would fail vs the first minimally competent security patdown. Unless you tried to Bluff, "yes, that's my big fluffy cloak that I never take off because I accidentally Sovereign-Glued it to myself."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rijan_Sai View Post
    So a case could be made that if you kept your wings close to your body, (think Goliath from Gargoyles,) you could disguise them as a cloak or similar.
    I would hardly call wings a "minor feature". Minor feature you could say like, the little nubby horns a tiefling might have, or a wart, or the number of fingers on your hand perhaps. Definitely not wings though.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.