New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous announced.

Spoiler: promo image
    Show

https://owlcatgames.com/news/31

From the creators of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, a new game on the same engine based on a different Adventure Path. Kingmaker was a great game, and even what little they announced has gotten me hyped. Especially:

To stand against the demonic invasion, the player character and their companions will receive additional powers from the player’s chosen mythic path. These paths vary widely in nature and profoundly impact the storyline of the game, permanently changing the characters and the world around them. You may choose the path of the immortal lich, wielding powerful spells and commanding an army of undead; the path of the angel, summoning celestial allies into battle and meting bolts of divine judgment upon foes; or something else entirely. Or the path of the trickster, causing mischief and fun even in the middle of the demon-filled abyss, warping the reality itself and turning the dices into “natural 20” from “1” to score a critical hit.
    Emphasis mine.I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's always wanted to be a proper Lich in a DnD game.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous announced.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE AP! Even more than Kingmaker! I am gonna LOVE this!!!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I can't wait to get bitch slapped by a "Good" goddess for no reason again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic about this one. Kingmaker was horrifyingly bug-riddled at release and there were so many bizarre spikes in difficulty.

Hopefully they'll have learned from the mistakes of the first game and make this one a solid sequel. The mythic paths at least should be easier to implement than the kingdom running system, and the foundations were there for something really good.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2019-12-05 at 06:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, noooooo...my free time!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    They changed a lot from the Kingmaker path as it was written though. I trust them to fix the worst parts of this one too.

edit: No, wait, I think I misread that. Are you talking about the Shelyn paladins in Kingmaker?
    Last edited by Narkis; 2019-12-05 at 07:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

No, Rynjin is referring to an infamous scene in book 5 of WotR:

Spoiler
    Show
    The PCs are briefly teleported to Heaven and meet Iomedae in person, where she basically tells them "my Herald has been kidnapped by Baphomet, are you bad enough dudes to rescue my Herald?" and due to some admittedly vague wording has heavenly trumpets sound if she finds the PCs' answers unsatisfactory, which deals sonic damage that can potentially kill them. This can happen even if PCs fail a Knowledge (Religion) check to remember a basic fact about Iomedae's past that she quizzes them on. Even though Iomedae resurrects any PCs this happens to and it's mainly reserved for players who have the gall to mouth off to a goddess in her own throne room, a lot of people viewed this as incredibly condescending or even evil behavior from a deity who is depicted in other Pathfinder texts as a near pinnacle of Lawful Goodness.

It's become something of a meme on the Paizo boards, and the devs themselves have stated that scene could have used some revision.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2019-12-05 at 07:37 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    No, Rynjin is referring to an infamous scene in book 5 of WotR:

Spoiler
    Show
    The PCs are briefly teleported to Heaven and meet Iomedae in person, where she basically tells them "my Herald has been kidnapped by Baphomet, are you bad enough dudes to rescue my Herald?" and due to some admittedly vague wording has heavenly trumpets sound if she finds the PCs' answers unsatisfactory, which deals sonic damage that can potentially kill them. This can happen even if PCs fail a Knowledge (Religion) check to remember a basic fact about Iomedae's past that she quizzes them on. Even though Iomedae resurrects any PCs this happens to and it's mainly reserved for players who have the gall to mouth off to a goddess in her own throne room, a lot of people viewed this as incredibly condescending or even evil behavior from a deity who is depicted in other Pathfinder texts as a near pinnacle of Lawful Goodness.

It's become something of a meme on the Paizo boards, and the devs themselves have stated that scene could have used some revision.
    Ah.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that sounds terrible. But I really doubt it's gonna be this way in the game, Owlcat really did make a lot of changes to the original Kingmaker. Pretty much all of them for the better.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I was quite impressed and pleased with the way they polished up Kingmaker's plot and took a lot of the dumb and unnecessary bits out while raising the stakes to something that feels appropriately epic for a high level party, which was one of the main complaints about Kingmaker. So I have high hopes too! I just hope they iron out most of the bugs before release this time...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

While uneven in some places, Kingmaker is still the best game I've played since the Baldur's Gate games.

I'm very much looking forward to Wrath of the Righteous. And hopefully, I won't need to use the "while uneven in some places" qualifier when I speak of it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Spoiler: promo image
    Show

https://owlcatgames.com/news/31

From the creators of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, a new game on the same engine based on a different Adventure Path. Kingmaker was a great game, and even what little they announced has gotten me hyped. Especially:

Emphasis mine.I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's always wanted to be a proper Lich in a DnD game.
    SOLD SO HARD and frankly, they would have done that with the announcement of another one.

Wonder if they will implement a a TBS mode in paralellel with the presumably RTwP this time, given the popularity of the mod and the fact that the adaption of TT was sufficiently close that even before I gpt said mod it felt like I was playing TBS.

I'm certainly patient enough to wait for them to fix all the bugs and whatnot and iron the inevitable problems out.

(I'm only just playing PFKM for the first time now, and I was one of the backers...)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

If they stick with Kingmaker's great mod support then I'm all in. The Turn-Based Mod that basically turned Kingmaker into Divinity 2.5 was fantastic, and the "run-my-kingdom-for-me-because-I-couldn't-care-less-about-Sim-Feudalism-and-just-want-to-play-Baldur's-Gate-in-Golarion" mod... honestly I should probably just use that mod's actual name, it's a lot easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    If they stick with Kingmaker's great mod support then I'm all in. The Turn-Based Mod that basically turned Kingmaker into Divinity 2.5 was fantastic, and the "run-my-kingdom-for-me-because-I-couldn't-care-less-about-Sim-Feudalism-and-just-want-to-play-Baldur's-Gate-in-Golarion" mod... honestly I should probably just use that mod's actual name, it's a lot easier.
    Mods turned Kingmaker from a frustrating mess to one of the best solo tabletop experiences I've ever had. They should definitely take some notes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Why did I only just learn about that?

I was sad that real time somewhat ruined my AoE spells.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The thing I found most daft about it was the fact it was painfully clear from the one and a half combat I played before finding the turn-based mod was that they'd essentially replicated PF so accurately, it was basically turn-based as it stood. Unlike say, PoE2, where the RTwP mode is clearly optimised for such (and required a fair bit of rebalancing to get TB mode to work), PF:KM was a turn-based system crudely hammered into a RT one. (Honestly, it came across more egregiously so than, say Baldur's Gate!)

With the TB mod, it's freaking fantastic. (With the addition of that rotating camera mod, for the occasions when it struggles to let you five-foot step..!)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    I was quite impressed and pleased with the way they polished up Kingmaker's plot and took a lot of the dumb and unnecessary bits out
    I'm really surprised to hear this. My one gripe about the game is all the unnecessary down time. I never played the original module, but if its worse than the game, yeesh.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I like modding as much as the next guy but if that is the case, I'd prefer an optional turn-based option for WotR. Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine had such as welll (stop after every turn). It does not need to be as intricate as in Temple of Elemental Evil if one remembers that.

Also I hate preordering but I'd gladly THROW my money at these projects.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looking forward to this. The kingdom management was the worst aspect of Kingmaker, so them doing an AP that won't be burdened by that (and with all the lessons learned from Kingmaker's rather rough release) has a lot of potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I'm really surprised to hear this. My one gripe about the game is all the unnecessary down time. I never played the original module, but if its worse than the game, yeesh.....
    I found downtime necessary, both so you could spend time managing your kingdom and to lessen the tension between the story highs. I dislike stories that play on fast forward, leaving no room to breath.

As for the changes, off the top of my head for chapter 1:

Spoiler
    Show
    No prologue. Players start their adventure outside Oleg's, right before the bandit attack.
    No Tartuccio. Tartuk is a gnome who hated kobolds, died saving his village from them, got Reincarnated into a kobold, and now goes around infiltrating tribes to destroy them from within. He provoked the Mites deliberately so they'd wipe out Sootscale's tribe. The players can learn all that by reading his diary. Nothing at all to do with Irovetti or the Briar. In fact, they first hear about Irovetti after founding the Barony.
    Kressle isn't Svetlana's sister, just an unrelated bandit who stole her wedding ring.
    No Guardian of the Bloom. Jhod sends the players to the Temple of the Elk, and the corrupted bear is a curse from Erastil. There is absolutely no way to learn about Nyrissa's existence before the war with Pitax.
    No Technic League.
    The Stag Lord's backstory isn't revealed in a series of apparitions in his childhood home. The players never get to to go to his childhood home. There's either no way to learn his backstory, or they can read his father's journal after killing the mad druid. I can't remember which. The Fort itself is smaller and easier to infiltrate, and the battle can be much more anticlimactic. The only thing they kept the same are the zombies outside the fort.

And maybe more that I can't remember at the moment. DEFINITELY more in later chapters. Season of Bloom doesn't even exist in the original path, for instance.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I found downtime necessary, both so you could spend time managing your kingdom and to lessen the tension between the story highs. I dislike stories that play on fast forward, leaving no room to breath.
    I don't disagree there's some value, but at times it drags for too long for my taste. Specifically I'm thinking about waiting for the, iirc, Pitax ark. I wasted hours of time twiddling my thumbs before I got so bored with it I stopped playing and haven't gone back to finish it. That's the biggest offender and the instance that killed the game for me, which is a shame because otherwise it's a good game.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I don't disagree there's some value, but at times it drags for too long for my taste. Specifically I'm thinking about waiting for the, iirc, Pitax ark. I wasted hours of time twiddling my thumbs before I got so bored with it I stopped playing and haven't gone back to finish it. That's the biggest offender and the instance that killed the game for me, which is a shame because otherwise it's a good game.
    I really can't understand how that's possible. You get a lot of free time after Armag true, but exploring all the new territories and especially managing your kingdom should eat that time up.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looking forward to it. The AP does have some weak points but it's incredibly epic and I can't wait to play as a mythic hero.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, any free time I had in Kingmaker went by instantly, because ranking up your kingdom stats eats more time than you realistically have.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Should be easier since you know what triggers her now.
    Granted, companions disagreeing caused damage in the AP... would bringing the wrong companions be an issue?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

In what strikes me as the very unlikely event that they leave that scene unchanged, OOC knowledge is unlikely to help; it would be, "Failed a Knowledge (Religion) check to know what she's looking for; TRUMPETS!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

So, there's a mod for a proper TBS for Kingmaker? That's sweet. Never liked RTwP, it's way more obnoxious than good and old TBS for me. Figure I'll finally give Kingmaker a try, once I have the money! Where can I find this mod? Nexus mods?
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heronbpv View Post
    So, there's a mod for a proper TBS for Kingmaker? That's sweet. Never liked RTwP, it's way more obnoxious than good and old TBS for me. Figure I'll finally give Kingmaker a try, once I have the money! Where can I find this mod? Nexus mods?
    Yep.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/109

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/31

Second mod allows you to rotate the camera, which I found necessary, as sometimes, it can be a bit kvetchy when you're trying to take a 5-foot step.

No need to re-start, just turn it on and Robert is your male parental sibling.