The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Most efficient damaging spell?

I think the mm issue is a bit more controversial than has been brought up so far. Allow me to articulate the argument disallowing.

Question: if I cast magic missile and it targets a single creature, how many targets is that?

The answer is of course '1 target' corresponding to the single creature target. If magic missile sends X darts at one target it will be one target.

"If a spell or other effect deals damage to MORE THAN ONE TARGET at the same time, roll the damage once for all of them [PHB 196]" is a rule that does not apply. This rule applies in the case of a magic missile spell that targets multiple creatures but does not apply in the case of a magic missile spell that targets a single creature.

In the case of magic missile targetting a single creature you don't have permission to roll a single damage die for all the darts and must roll d4 for each dart separately. Empowered Evocation allows +Int to a single damage roll. Where it gets ambiguous is with regards to what exactly a 'damage roll' means. 'Damage roll' in the case of a Magic Missile spell targetting a single target means the 'damage roll' of one dart (and not the others) or the 'damage roll' comprising the collective darts. In either case you only get to apply Empowered Evocation once in the case of a magic missile spell that targets a single creature. 'Damage roll' does not mean the single damage roll applied to all of the darts because you did not have permission to apply a single damage roll to all the darts since there was only ever one target.

At the end of the day it is going to come down to how the DM decides. The controversy comes from Jeremy Crawford ruling against the RAW I have outlined above which means RAW conflicts with RAI (if you accept Crawford as decider of RAI). Further muddying the issue is that there is only a Twitter from Crawford on the matter and not a FAQ item in the Sage Advice Compendium. It's the Sage Advice Compendium which actually officially dispenses RAI. So technically we really do not know if the Nuclear Wizard is officially allowed.

So yea . . . check with your DM and where he/she stands.
    Last edited by col_impact; 2019-12-12 at 03:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by col_impact View Post
    So technically we really do not know if the Nuclear Wizard is officially allowed.

So yea . . . check with your DM and where he/she stands.
    but not really. Raw there is no question it simply is one roll. Of course your DM can change that but that isn't a defensible point as that applies to all rules.

RAW you can't Warcaster attack with magic missile for the same reason you can't Fire ball it has the capacity to hit more than one creature. That isn't lost when you only target 1 person.
    Last edited by Teaguethebean; 2019-12-12 at 03:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teaguethebean View Post
    but not really. Raw there is no question it simply is one roll. Of course your DM can change that but that isn't a defensible point as that applies to all rules.
    In the case of a magic missile that targets a single creature there is only one target. The PHB 196 rule does not apply. If you apply the rule you are violating what target means which is a direct violation of RAW.

Further, you are pointing to Twitters. Per official WotC ruling those do not dispense RAI. The playability status of the Nuclear Wizard is officially unknown at this point. So check with your DM if it is allowed.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

RAW you can't Warcaster attack with magic missile for the same reason you can't Fire ball it has the capacity to hit more than one creature. That isn't lost when you only target 1 person.
    Hmmm . . .

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/08...king-creature/

Not only does the Twitter above disprove your point, it also shows that Jeremy Crawford is contradicting himself.

It's a muddied issue. It hasn't been officially decided yet. I don't care one way or the other.

But the important thing to realize is that the actual RAW invalidates the Nuclear Wizard build and the only things supporting it for play are Twitters that have no official weight to them.
    Last edited by col_impact; 2019-12-13 at 10:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by col_impact View Post
    It's a muddied issue. It hasn't been officially decided yet.
    Gotcha I have been using it on a PVP server and it has been a very powerful option.

Also just on the other guy's server. Why do people get a minute of prep time?!?! That basically says that all martials should give up. If you don't use buff spells then you are wasting your time. Kinda a wierd choice.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gotcha I have been using it on a PVP server and it has been a very powerful option.

Also just on the other guy's server. Why do people get a minute of prep time?!?! That basically says that all martials should give up. If you don't use buff spells then you are wasting your time. Kinda a wierd choice.
    Martials can get a lot through magic items. But sure, a martial that dips at least a level in a spellcaster class gets a lot, like unlocking Staff of Power.