The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Choose an Adventure (Heroes of the Two Lands) - Mythic Egypt

Adventure options: Wandering among ten thousand tombs; Patrolling the land of the bow; Gem of the east; The City of Gods; Hunting the Delta.

Wandering among ten thousand tombs: King Priest's soldiers pushed out the old priests and set him as the new god in the temple by the tombs. Now the honored dead rise from their stone beds and roam hungrily in sunlight through the living streets.
    Patrolling the land of the bow:Barbarians come down-river from the southern highlands. They bring gold for grain, but in lean years the nomarch won't sell.
    Gem of the east: The fortress city hulks over the caravan trail from Sinai and Mittani. It teems with convict slaves and with the few miserable priests and soldiers detailed by Kingpriest's advisors to oversee the slaves.
    The City of Gods:Wajet, the temple city, the capital of the Two Lands, stands magnificent above the River. Its temple complexes and tombs sprawl out eastward into the Red Land. Intrigues fill the Kingpriest's palace and the high priests' temples.
    Hunting the Delta: The nomarch wants beasts for her table; the Kingpriest wants beasts for his zoo. It is easy enough to slay and butcher a hippopotamus but is dangerous and prestigious work to bring one alive up the river.

The Two Lands: Beneath the ever-traveling barge of the sun sprawls the Red Land, the harsh scrubland of weeds and succulents among red-orange stone weathered to sand. Nomadic herders wander there.

The Black Land is the fertile river valley that splits the Red Land from the rocky ochre hills down to the verdant saltmarsh by the purple sea. At the high parts of the Black Land, above the floodmark, cities of the living sprawl among lower-lying farmland that is renewed each year by the river floods.

In the parts of the Red Land near the living cities, the houses of the sleeping ones stand silent and ornate, filled with treasure and dreams.

These faces of the Red and Black Lands make the Waking Land, where the living walk and gods and demons dream. The Sleeping Land comprises Duat and Ament, the back faces of the Red and Black, where those who dream and gods and demons walk.

Rules:Heroes of the Two Lands, a Barbarians of Lemuria variant rules and setting prepared specially for Mythic Egypt. Briefly, characters are built from a pool of points assigned to Attributes (Strength, Agility, Mind, Appeal), Careers, and Combat Abilities (Initiative, Unarmed, Weapons, and Ranged). Their Ka is their vital force, it is determined by their Strength and Mind and Caste, and it is lost or spent in combat and in other tasks. All tasks are resolved by rolling 2d6, adding applicable Attribute and Career or Ability, and comparing to a target number (usually 9, modified upward for especially difficult tasks).

Ma'at and Heka: Ma'at is the proper form of the Lands. Heka is the force that pervades the Lands, eroding and adding to Ma'at. Using Heka consumes a portion of the user's Ka. Each Career may use Heka, and each knows different spells for specific purposes.

Players and characters: at least two. The characters know each other at the start of play, and each new character has a Career in common with the previously-built character.

Style of Play: Roleplaying plus combat and "spellcasting," weighted according to character actions. Combat is fast and dangerous under these rules. So can be the use of Heka.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-12-17 at 10:45 AM. Reason: filled with players - thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Choose an Adventure (Heroes of the Two Lands) - Mythic Egypt

Players and characters: at least two. The characters know each other at the start of play, and each new character has a Career in common with the previously-built character.
    So each player's character must share at least a Career with a different one, is it correct? Or must there be a single common Career linking every character?

And about the adventure: is it determined by vote?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cap View Post
    So each player's character must share at least a Career with a different one, is it correct? Or must there be a single common Career linking every character?

And about the adventure: is it determined by vote?
    Each character should share a Career with another character. The adventure is determined by vote. Three to four committed players would be great.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A question about the setting for character creation: which Career among those available could be the best for tasks involving persuasion, smooth-talking, rhetoric etc.? I was thinking about the merchant, but the description only mentions haggling.

Another thing about the merchant: I guess "good with a knife" doesn't qualify it as a combat-related career, right?

5. - Top - End - #5

A question about the setting for character creation: which Career among those available could be the best for tasks involving persuasion, smooth-talking, rhetoric etc.? I was thinking about the merchant, but the description only mentions haggling.

Another thing about the merchant: I guess "good with a knife" doesn't qualify it as a combat-related career, right?
    I don't really think of a merchant as combat-oriented, and I think of their personal interaction skills being focused on commercial transactions. For persuasion, smooth-talking, rhetoric I would look for an entertainer or a priest or scribe as better choices.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Other questions:
    - Can a character go full Green Arrow using the bow or ranged weapons in close quarters?
    - I don't know if it's a typo or an house rule, but in the other thread is written that the target's Agility increases the difficulty of the attack roll, while in the book only Defense is relevant; what ruling are we adopting exactly?

7. - Top - End - #7

Other questions:
    - Can a character go full Green Arrow using the bow or ranged weapons in close quarters?
    - I don't know if it's a typo or an house rule, but in the other thread is written that the target's Agility increases the difficulty of the attack roll, while in the book only Defense is relevant; what ruling are we adopting exactly?
    These rules are stand alone and supersede the book. For example, there's no Defense Ability in HoTL; instead, the relevant Combat Ability is used both to attack and to defend. Also, there's no distinction between Lifeblood, Hero Points or Arcane Power. Ka is used for all three purposes.

Also
    , you could use a ranged weapon at close quarters but any attacker would use your Unarmed Ability for the difficulty of their roll (bows and slings aren't defensive weapons). Unless you had a shield and a sling ...
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-12-09 at 02:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Tomorrow I should be able to post a complete sheet for my character, the general idea is pretty much defined.

By the way, I love these historical settings: you always learn something new (like the dozens of egyptian gods I scrolled for the favors).

9. - Top - End - #9

Thanks. One of my DM heroes is a guy named Alexis. Though I don't like everything he's written (his house rules are way too simulationist for me), I admire the quality of his writing and I agree with his position that you get a much richer art by imitating life instead of trying to invent every single detail from scratch.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is a fascinating concept and I'm very interested in joining up, though I don't have any character ideas at present. I'll probably want to do something with the Architect career just because we're in the land of glorious megastructures but everything else is up in the air.
    Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stereo1 View Post
    This is a fascinating concept and I'm very interested in joining up, though I don't have any character ideas at present. I'll probably want to do something with the Architect career just because we're in the land of glorious megastructures but everything else is up in the air.
    The idea for my character is Hunter 1 - Merchant 1 - Entertainer 1 - Physician 1. Considering that we have to share at least a Career, these ones could help you build a concept.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Coming back to the rules, this time a doubt has risen about Heka: it's written that the difficulty for the roll depends on the target's Strength or Mind, but how is determined which one is used? Is considered the higher one or it depends on the situation (for example Strength for pushing someone off a cliff or Mind to influence thinking)?

13. - Top - End - #13

Coming back to the rules, this time a doubt has risen about Heka: it's written that the difficulty for the roll depends on the target's Strength or Mind, but how is determined which one is used? Is considered the higher one or it depends on the situation (for example Strength for pushing someone off a cliff or Mind to influence thinking)?
    Yes, it's situational. Something I should edit to nail down ...

and edited. Also fixed an inconsistency about starting Ka. For heroes it should be 4 + Strength + Mind + Caste.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-12-10 at 08:27 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tarkasan the Driver

Tarkasan grew up in the Mittani heartland, near Washukanni. He lived in the king's household, the son of an honored retainer. When he was grown, he served as a charioteer in the wars against the Hattusans and the rebel Assyrians. King Tushratta sent him as a bodyguard for his daughter Tadukhipa when she was sent to marry Amenhotep III. After Amenhotep III died, Tadukhipa was married to his son, Amenhotep IV. Over the past few years, Amenhotep IV has become entranced with his new consort, Neferiti, and their new religion, leaving Tadukhipa and her entourage to scheme and plot in relative exile in their quarters. Tarkasan has been out collecting information for his mistress on the state of her adopted realm, and on the missives coming from their native home.

Strength: 1
    Agility: 2
    Appeal: 0
    Mind: 1

Ka: 8

Combat: He is a balanced warrior, capable of using the spear and the bow and the shield.
    Initiative: 1
    Unarmed: 0
    Ranged: 1
    Melee: 2

Careers:
    Charioteer: 2. A veteran of several campaigns.
    Hunter: 1. Trainer and driver of horses. A regular participant in the hunts of the nobles.
    Courtier: 1. He has served at the king's table back in Mittani, and lived as an honored guest of both Amenhotep III and Amenhotep IV.
    Musician: 0. A favored pastime of the idle members of the court, a fine way to pass the time.

Favor: Bannerman of Onuris: He has carried the banner of Tushratta and Amenhotep at the forefront of battle; none can deny his lion-hearted courage.
    Favor: Blessed of Astarte: In Memphis, a great new temple to Astarte is a-building, under the auspices of Tadukhipa. But as of late, construction has slowed down, and Tarkasan has been trying to organize its re-starting.
    Spite: Dislike of Ipy's power: He distrusts those who would use her power to distort the natural order of things.

Languages:
    Mittani
    Akkadian
    "Middle Egyptian"

Trappings:
    Suit of Medium Armor, Spear & Shield, Bow and arrows. Chariot & team of horses. Fine clothes befitting his rank, a position in the court of the royal consort Tadukhipa.

Friends:
    Huy, son of the Commander of Chariots, a fine warrior in his own right.
    Ammalli, Priestess of Astarte in Memphis, he is working with her on the temple there.
    Nena, daughter of one of the high-ranking priests. She is Tarkasan's wife. She has given Tarkasan two fine children.
    Nyamu, the hunter. He travelled downriver from the mountain kingdoms some time ago, and serves as one of the huntsmen to the court.
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-12-10 at 11:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Looks good. A few things:

• instead of 11 Lifeblood and 5 Hero Points, Tarkasan would have 7 Ka (4 + Strength + Mind + Soldier (Caste rank 1) as highest ranked Career).
    • "Assassin" isn't really a career in this setting, it's more of something you use your Careers for (e.g., a Physician could use their pharmaceutical knowledge for poisoning, a Servant could use their knowledge of noble schedules to find a quiet hour for doing the deed, a Soldier could straight up hack somebody down).
    • "Noble" in this setting doesn't mean much - it's a pretty flat and bureaucratic social hierarchy with Pharaoh, Advisors, Nomarchs, and Scribes who run things. "Courtier," however, would be a Mid Caste career that might fit your character concept. But it's not combat-oriented.
    • he only would get 3 ranks for Combat Abilities (1 default + 2 Soldier)
    • instead of Initiative/Defense/Ranged/Melee the combat options are Initiative/Unarmed/Weapons/Ranged
    • instead of Soldier 2 Beastmaster 1 would you prefer to do Charioteer 2 Foot Soldier 2? That would still give you the driving and training horses plus a 5th rank in Combat Abilities.
    • Boons and Flaws should be changed to Favor and Spite of specific deities, I leave that to your research but as an example "Distrust of Sorcery" could be Ipy's Spite giving Tarkasan a penalty die on rolls for social interactions with those whom he believes use Heka of the first circle or beyond.

Yes, still in the time of Akhenaten - one of the adventure seeds, the one we tried last time in this setting, relates to that Kingpriest's disastrous attempt to install the Sun Disk as the sole deity and himself as its avatar. That religious turmoil will play a less significant role in any of the adventures.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-12-10 at 01:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Physician Career includes pharmacology (albeit primitive), right?

EDIT: nevermind, didn't see the last message.
    Last edited by Captain Cap; 2019-12-10 at 11:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

In writing the rules I was torn between making Ka dependent on highest Career rank or on Caste rank. I settled on Caste rank to enforce the apparent social mores of the setting, that Soldiers were more disposable than Architects.

... I might add a Mid Caste Career of Captain for the less expendable combatants ... what do you think?
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-12-10 at 11:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yeah, I just cut and pasted the sheet over, I'll go over the rules and make the changes tonight. I think that having charioteers as a mid-caste career to start with would be best, since they are likely to be drawn from the sons of the upper class to begin with.
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-12-10 at 12:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Yeah, I just cut and pasted the sheet over, I'll go over the rules and make the changes tonight. I think that having charioteers as a mid-caste career to start with would be best, since they are likely to be drawn from the sons of the upper class to begin with.
    That's a good point. I'll make the change in the rules.

That also would take care of the "Captain" idea, since if I understand correctly the charioteers typically also were the commanders who travelled quickly behind the lines to give orders.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-12-10 at 12:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

@dojango, might I suggest Charioteer 2 - Foot Soldier 2 - Courtier 0 - Hunter 0? That would give a career in common with Cap's Physician, and also would give 8 Ka and 5 combat ranks to start.

21. - Top - End - #21

OrcBarbarianGuy

IIRC, the nature of chariot operation is still up for some debate, and likely changed over the millennium or so they were used. But basically one guy drives and then one or two other guys have spears and bows. Certainly commanders would have chariots of their own; from Ramses' Kadesh mural he is depicted as riding one. Granted, that is "the official story", who knows what really happened.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. Since nobody else is doing it, I think I'll want to make a Priest of some sort.

For the sharing of Career, is that just having to share a career with somebody or do we all need a shared Career in common?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Hmmm. Since nobody else is doing it, I think I'll want to make a Priest of some sort.

For the sharing of Career, is that just having to share a career with somebody or do we all need a shared Career in common?
    Not everyone needs to have the same career, but I'd like everyone to have one career in common with someone else as a basis for linking the characters together ("we were soldiers once and young"). On the other hand, if you all can work out other commonalities I can relax the common career requirement.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Name: Shaimose

Attributes:
    - Strength 0
    - Agility 0
    - Mind 3
    - Appeal 1

Careers:
    - Hunter 2
    - Merchant 0
    - Entertainer 0
    - Physician 2

Combat Abilities:
    - Initiative 0
    - Unarmed 3
    - Weapon -1
    - Ranged 1

Caste rank: 3
    Ka: 4 + 0 + 3 + 3 = 10

Favors and Spites:
    - Serket, bonus for venom related tasks
    - Imhotep, bonus for physician tasks
    - Apis, malus for muscular strength related tasks

Backstory:
    Shaimose was born in a small village north of Merimda from a family of hunting traditions, so it should come as no surprise that in his youth he had to deal with the family's disappointment for his gracile form; nevertheless, his father taught him everything he could, albeit through unconventional methods: more often than not, Shaimose had to muddle through dangerous situations, as the father saw them as opportunities to make him stronger and faster. That happened to some extent, however muscles were not what mainly kept him alive in those years, but smarts and adaptability. Moreover, the goddess Serket took a liking to such a resourceful boy and protected him from the venom of snakes and scorpions; at the same time, the god Apis found his elusive approaches rather annoying and cursed him accordingly.
    While his juvenile years could appear dreadful, Shaimose actually enjoyed facing danger and exploring the wilderness, animated by the thrill of adventure and his insatiable curiosity.
    As the time passed, Shaimose got more and more involved in the trade than the actual hunting, given his natural charisma. When he finally left home for an apprenticeship with a seasoned merchant, he found himself immersed in the vibrant environment of the city and immediately felt in love with it: the people, the colors, the aroma of food and spices, the music of sistra and lutes, and the beautiful women. In the streets Shaimose learned to perform, to deceive, to seduce, however his true vocation was something else, linked to the god which most of all followed him; in fact, his deep interest in nature and physiology manifested with the study and practice of the medical arts, with great satisfaction of the wise Imhotep.
    It should be pointed that Shaimose never really abandoned previous careers, venturing from time to time in the wilderness to find ingredients and observe animals, or traveling from one place to another to trade goods and meet new people.
    Last edited by Captain Cap; 2019-12-11 at 11:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Can you define what Appeal does?

Is the choice for Mind or Appeal a player choice or does it depend on circumstance?

Is the damage for Ranged weapons based on Strength or Agility? (Also, besides bows, javelins/darts, and slings are there any other ranged weapons that fit in the setting?)

Can you have multiple Boons from the same deity? And is there a maximum number of boons/malus you can have?

My current idea is a Priestess of Ishtar with Captain/Charioteer, Entertainer, and [something]. Is there any reason to take both Captain/Charioteer and Foot Soldier?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Can you define what Appeal does?

Is the choice for Mind or Appeal a player choice or does it depend on circumstance?

Is the damage for Ranged weapons based on Strength or Agility? (Also, besides bows, javelins/darts, and slings are there any other ranged weapons that fit in the setting?)

Can you have multiple Boons from the same deity? And is there a maximum number of boons/malus you can have?

My current idea is a Priestess of Ishtar with Captain/Charioteer, Entertainer, and [something]. Is there any reason to take both Captain/Charioteer and Foot Soldier?
    Another rules edit I should make. To cover it here, Mind treats of tasks related to understanding or figuring out factual information, such as medical diagnosis, crafting items, using Heka, researching legends, etc. Appeal focuses on one's personal bearing and ability to favorably impress the people they encounter. It's not necessarily related to beauty but appearance is a component.

Ranged weapons damage would be based on Agility and I think you've covered what's available.

You could have boons from multiple aspects of the same deity ... I feel like three Favors and two Spites would be more than enough to get on with.

There is no particular reason to take both Charioteer and Foot Soldier - unless you like the backstory of ascending the caste ladder through martial endeavors.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. A little annoying that Appeal doesn't have any benefit for combat, Ka, or Heka while the others all have two. (Compared to Agility which has two combat benefits, Strength that has one combat benefit and Ka, and Mind which has Ka and Heka benefits.)
    Edit: (The most balanced thing to do would have it apply to the things Mind does. I doubt this would break anything and it would save it from being worse than all the other stats.)

Can we do unique boons/spites if we have ideas for them?
    Like one idea I have is a Boon from Isis that would make the Heka cost of second and third circle reduced by one step. (So third would cost like second circle Heka use and second would cost like it was first circle.)

I don't suppose Priest counts as a combat related career for priests of Ishtar (or other war dieties)?
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-12-10 at 07:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Appeal has benefits available with none of the other Attributes. It enables a hero to parley and persuade instead of pounding heads. It also lets the clever hero extract information from unwitting NPCs. And of course it's useful for impressing people generally. In a roleplay-focused game (as PbP often tilt), Appeal has power all its own.

I'd like to try running the Heka system as it is before I consider boons/favors that radically adjust it. For the sake of setting flavor I imagine priests who have gods-granted power, not gods-like power... so I am opposed to making third circle Heka less costly. Instavolcano? Cloudless lightning? Demons at your reckless call? no thank you, at least not at a cost that the ordinary hero can reliably sustain. Scorpion horde out of nowhere? (that last one actually would be second circle - ok, fine). TLDR: I'd be fine with a Favor of Heka that gives you advantage / a bonus die on rolls for using Heka, or on the daily roll for recovering Ka, or similar. Not ok with making obviously supernatural stuff low cost.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Well I don't think a bonus die on Heka would be very beneficial for second and third circle uses. Sure you'd more likely succeed..... but also more likely to have very high Ka costs. (Unless it was roll 3d6, "choose two" rather than "highest two"?)
    So tell me about this daily Ka recovery option!

I'm not sure I agree with that argument about Appeal. The others all have skill related stuff they can do that you'd care about doing too. And even with low Appeal you still can roll and succeed at Appeal things. Unless social interaction is somehow going to be drastically more important than all other skill use.

You didn't answer my question about the Priest/combat thing.

How specific/general should I be about Boons/Spites btw?
    Things I'm interested in are: combat, issuing orders, seduction/charm. (And the Heka thing. Since you said three Boons that means I don't do one of those potential boons unless there's a way to combine things that makes sense.)
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-12-10 at 09:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ranged weapons damage would be based on Agility and I think you've covered what's available.
    Wouldn't Agility be a bit too strong this way? I mean, it already encompasses the chances to hit and avoid blows, and it makes sense for Strength to come up in ranged attacks (how much force you can imprint on a spear or how much you can stretch a bow).
    And for the ranged weapons available: are throwing knives present in the setting?
    Last edited by Captain Cap; 2019-12-11 at 07:58 AM.