New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Okay, book 5 single frame appearances, and I think these are all good with one two exceptions.

Ivy
    Polearm customer
    Julio's Dentist
    Rich Burlew (His thumb anyway )
    The Dead carpet Merchant
    an Albatross
    the 2 thief kids
    a merchant
    The three prostitutes
    A cartographer
    The old olady in GreySky City
    The Sphinx of the convenience store
    Death
    2 different dwarves being argued about by Hel and Thor
    A hobgoblin Clown
    4 adventurers
    2 Aton Merchants
    2 of Tarquins dinner guests
    The Giant hand puppet monster (That I cannot remember the name of)
    The Rend Actors
    The Clotsburg Highschool band
    The Sanguine Ave Muppets
    Faruzi Lakshi - Miss Bloodstain 1184
    Cathy the new New anchor
    One of tarquins ex wives (the one who had cold feet... eh..)
    Tyrinar the Bloody
    The pregame singing Group
    The intermission acting group
    3 different sparticus's (but They are likely in multiple pages)
    Thogs #1 fan
    Orrin Drake Tooth
    Ivy Starsong

and interesting thought experiment, The Snarl. This depends on whether you count crayon flashback depictions of it to be appearances or not (Or more accurately, whether Rich does.) While almost 100% not the answer, the story would be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Now I'm thinking about Goblin Dan. Did he appear in more than one strip? I recall he had a franchise in Gobbotopia, but can't recall if he was there himself. Makes sense he would travel to Monster Hollow in search of more Hydras to supply new restaurants.
    Goblin Dan is in Mr Scruffy's story and I think he is in DStP too.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2019-12-12 at 02:55 PM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

The appearances thread says Elan's mother has appeared 3 or 4 times (and it's definitely more than one), and more in the bonus comics.

Too bad, I was hoping to say "Elan's mom had got it going on" here.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-12-12 at 02:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It's obviously MitD, he's been in lots of pages but I don't think he's actually appeared in any.
    Although if we're going off phantasmagoria as an "appearance" he does visibly extend a body part to (it looks like) shake hands with Roy in the spiraling panel.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Laser Snail comes back as an einhieirar
    'Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómė!" The night is passing!"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone mentioned the Holey Brotherhood yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ThriKreenLich View Post
    Although if we're going off phantasmagoria as an "appearance" he does visibly extend a body part to (it looks like) shake hands with Roy in the spiraling panel.
    To me it looks like they're both holding tankards and clinking them together.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2019-12-12 at 05:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Has the Dark One appeared? Technically, we’ve seen second-hand stories and an illusion. How many appearances is that?

Roy told a story about ogre royalty guarding the starmetal. Is that an appearance?

Sabine impersonates other shapes. Whose appearance is that, Sabine’s or the target’s?

This is impossible to answer unless we know the rules of the game.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Anyone mentioned the Holey Brotherhood yet?
    Baron Pineapple returns to aid the Order of the Stick.

8. - Top - End - #98

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliren View Post
    Baron Pineapple returns to aid the Order of the Stick.
    Technically, he never appeared :b
    And the more I think about it, the more likely the Holey Brotherhood becomes.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A bunch of the Demigods (including apparently Dvalin) have only appeared in the one-strip where they voted. Are Demigods able to play more of a direct role than full Gods?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Has the planet that Blackwing saw in the rift appeared more than once? For sure yes, if the ocean from the desert rift is on that planet, but I can't recall another time.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Has anyone said this one, yet?

There's lots of theories floating around about what happens to planar travelers and leftovers from other planes. We do, however, know that an ascended god can theoretically survive past their first world if they have enough stores of power between worlds. So...

These guys are using quiddity.

As far as I can tell, each of them, besides soda and pizza, has only appeared once, in that first comic. So, it could be Milk Dud(e)s, Nachos, Popcorn, or Soy Latte. Nachos and Milk Dud(e)s are both dead, so it's probably not them. Soy Latte wasn't shown using quiddity. But...

Popcorn has only appeared once. Popcorn was also shown using yellow quiddity, the color of the Northern Pantheon, who have been playing a very critical role.

My theory? Popcorn is going to come back.
    Last edited by ElderSage; 2019-12-12 at 08:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSage View Post
    Nah, they're using magic, or psionics, or whatever the equivalent is on their world.

"Quiddity," as Thor explained it, roughly means "essence." it is their state of being. You don't see a god without their quiddity their divine essence, surrounding them. You don't see a mortal with it. Popcorn is has a yellow dweomer (or whatever the equivalent is on their world), not quiddity, because popcorn is not a god.

.... Presumably.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nah, they're using magic, or psionics, or whatever the equivalent is on their world.

"Quiddity," as Thor explained it, roughly means "essence." it is their state of being. You don't see a god without their quiddity their divine essence, surrounding them. You don't see a mortal with it. Popcorn is has a yellow dweomer (or whatever the equivalent is on their world), not quiddity, because popcorn is not a god.

.... Presumably.
    No, see, but Popcorn is a god. Popcorn, in the fourth panel, says, "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"

Also, you may be interested to note that Popcorn, Soda, and Milk Dud(e)s each use the colors of quiddity of each of the surviving pantheons: yellow, blue, and red respectively.

14. - Top - End - #104

No, see, but Popcorn is a god. Popcorn, in the fourth panel, says, "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"

Also, you may be interested to note that Popcorn, Soda, and Milk Dud(e)s each use the colors of quiddity of each of the surviving pantheons: yellow, blue, and red respectively.
    Imean, Belkar has proclaimed himself to be a god, and yet he doesn't have a white quiddity.

They use dweomers that happen to be the same colors as the Pantheon quiddities, yes. Which does not mean they have quiddities. Which, again, we would always see surrounding them at all times, since they are theoscopic particles escaping the gods event horizon or whatever.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Imean, Belkar has proclaimed himself to be a god, and yet he doesn't have a white quiddity.

They use dweomers that happen to be the same colors as the Pantheon quiddities, yes. Which does not mean they have quiddities. Which, again, we would always see surrounding them at all times, since they are theoscopic particles escaping the gods event horizon or whatever.
    See, but Belkar doesn't have worshippers or anything. On the other hand, Popcorn has had a minimum of 50 years of worship (panel 3) and probably much more based on the fact that Soda looked much older when he finally hunted down Pizza.

Even wilder crack theory than Popcorn here that will almost certainly never happen: there's a lot of discussion going around about Banjo and/or Giggles becoming a fifth quiddity, but what if it's Belkar???? A common fantasy trope is that gods have to die to ascend, or that they're dead anyway. Also, I don't think deities need to breathe.

...y'know who's only appeared once? Giggles. Maybe there is something to that theory, after all...

16. - Top - End - #106

See, but Belkar doesn't have worshippers or anything. On the other hand, Popcorn has had a minimum of 50 years of worship (panel 3) and probably much more based on the fact that Soda looked much older when he finally hunted down Pizza.
    Well dang, thats a better argument than I was expecting!

Of course, if a god can be killed by a single stab from a mortals sword, though, I'd say it's not much of a god.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

smile Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Well dang, thats a better argument than I was expecting!

Of course, if a god can be killed by a single stab from a mortals sword, though, I'd say it's not much of a god.
    True, very true. *laughs* (non-sarcastically, that was actually pretty funny)

I would posit, though, that Milk Dud(e)s was not a very powerful god. Yes, they had a minimum 50 years of worship at that point which was enough to make them into gods. However, even a mortal like Pizza is technically more "real" than Milk Dud(e)s after they had ascended to become gods. Thor even says that the gods are less "real" than mortals, just more powerful. Going off of this information, a mortal could likely have slain a young, weak god.

Later, by the time Soda tracked down Pizza, probably another solid 50 years had passed, and by the time the world was finally destroyed, Popcorn could have been around for anywhere from 100 to 2,000 years, considering that they're the originals, implying that they were around near or at the beginning of the world, and sentient movie theater snacks seems like a pretty bottom of the barrel idea to me. Since they're up to a few thousand years, Popcorn's had a while to accumulate power and managed to survive through to the new world. Also, the idea of popcorn seems like it's still around because Thor expected Minrah and Durkon to know what he was talking about when he said "sentient movie theater snacks".

So Popcorn could be around as a Northern deity.

(I'm still thinking about this Giggles thing, though... Giggles has only appeared once... Giggles could be a fifth quiddity color... or maybe even purple as a "monster" god...)

18. - Top - End - #108

AssassinGuy

True, very true. *laughs* (non-sarcastically, that was actually pretty funny)

I would posit, though, that Milk Dud(e)s was not a very powerful god. Yes, they had a minimum 50 years of worship at that point which was enough to make them into gods. However, even a mortal like Pizza is technically more "real" than Milk Dud(e)s after they had ascended to become gods. Thor even says that the gods are less "real" than mortals, just more powerful. Going off of this information, a mortal could likely have slain a young, weak god.

Later, by the time Soda tracked down Pizza, probably another solid 50 years had passed, and by the time the world was finally destroyed, Popcorn could have been around for anywhere from 100 to 2,000 years, considering that they're the originals, implying that they were around near or at the beginning of the world, and sentient movie theater snacks seems like a pretty bottom of the barrel idea to me. Since they're up to a few thousand years, Popcorn's had a while to accumulate power and managed to survive through to the new world. Also, the idea of popcorn seems like it's still around because Thor expected Minrah and Durkon to know what he was talking about when he said "sentient movie theater snacks".

So Popcorn could be around as a Northern deity.

(I'm still thinking about this Giggles thing, though... Giggles has only appeared once... Giggles could be a fifth quiddity color... or maybe even purple as a "monster" god...)
    Milk Dud(e)s was by far the weakest - having only been created in 1928. Not even a hundred years of worship. No wonder he (she? it? they?) was so easily slain. Pizza was by far the strongest of the New Refreshments, as the archetypal pizza margherita dates to at least the 19th century.

Soda was marginally more powerful, however, as infusing water with carbon dioxide was first discovered in 1767. And armed with a Pizza Cutter (which itself dates back to 1892, when it was mainly used for cutting wallpaper), vengeance was truly his (its?).

Otherwise, the New Gods were weak-ass punks. Nachos were first invented in 1943 and less said about Soy Latte, the better.

But Popcorn.... Popcorn is a different story altogether. It has been eaten for far, far longer than we know - far longer than written history. The oldest evidence of popcorn dates back to 6,700 years ago

Popcorn is the Elder God. And the gods quake at the mere mention of his (its? their?) name. They merely hope and pray that he sleeps on...

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Milk Dud(e)s was by far the weakest - having only been created in 1928. Not even a hundred years of worship. No wonder he (she? it? they?) was so easily slain. Pizza was by far the strongest of the New Refreshments, as the archetypal pizza margherita dates to at least the 19th century.

Soda was marginally more powerful, however, as infusing water with carbon dioxide was first discovered in 1767. And armed with a Pizza Cutter (which itself dates back to 1892, when it was mainly used for cutting wallpaper), vengeance was truly his (its?).

Otherwise, the New Gods were weak-ass punks. Nachos were first invented in 1943 and less said about Soy Latte, the better.

But Popcorn.... Popcorn is a different story altogether. It has been eaten for far, far longer than we know - far longer than written history. The oldest evidence of popcorn dates back to 6,700 years ago

Popcorn is the Elder God. And the gods quake at the mere mention of his (its? their?) name. They merely hope and pray that he sleeps on...
    Psh. None of their worlds have lasted 6000 years. I'd say we were looking at the year 50, or close to it, by Popcorn's reckoning.

Also, what's a New York?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

It could be the muskrat with the drumkit on its back.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Has the Dark One appeared? Technically, we’ve seen second-hand stories and an illusion. How many appearances is that?

Roy told a story about ogre royalty guarding the starmetal. Is that an appearance?

Sabine impersonates other shapes. Whose appearance is that, Sabine’s or the target’s?

This is impossible to answer unless we know the rules of the game.
    I think it's pretty straightforward; an appearance on panel counts as an appearance. I'm assuming the answer won't be a nonexistent character like the ogre kings. I can only remember Sabine impersonating one actually existing character as opposed to just going in disguise.

Really, it's impossible because we have so little to go on, but I also think that's why the question is relatively straightforward; it won't be something like "technically that character appeared in flashback / in a story someone else was telling, so it wasn't really an 'appearance'."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think it's pretty straightforward; an appearance on panel counts as an appearance.
    Yeah, I would agree. Trying to say that a particular appearance "doesn't count" is starting to go over the edge into sophistry and makes it harder to figure out who the Giant could be talking about.

23. - Top - End - #113

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, I would agree. Trying to say that a particular appearance "doesn't count" is starting to go over the edge into sophistry and makes it harder to figure out who the Giant could be talking about.
    Is it safe to presume that when he said 'including all the prequel books' in brackets that he meant the appearance has been in the main comic and not just in a prequel? In which case, Holey Brotherhood is sounding better and better!

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    They "become an important ally in the first half of the next book". If an Eastern God survived, is available and allies with the OOTS... that pretty much wipes out any need for the Dark One, no? Durkon's whole Mission From Thor becomes a red herring.
    Actually, it doesn't... it means that with TDO's assistance, they can not only bind the Snarl, they could defeat it (five colors > four colors of the Snarl).

EDIT: Ninja'ed about two pages ago... dangit.
    Last edited by jwhouk; 2019-12-13 at 08:07 AM.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

25. - Top - End - #115

Flumph

Is it safe to presume that when he said 'including all the prequel books' in brackets that he meant the appearance has been in the main comic and not just in a prequel? In which case, Holey Brotherhood is sounding better and better!
    I don't Think that's safe to presume, no. It seems likely the one page is in the main comic (volume alone means the main comics have the odds in its favor), but it could just as easily be in some of the extra materials. Wouldn't be the first time a character from the prequels was introduced in the main comic after all.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Gosh, I hope it's Psteve.
    ungelic is us

27. - Top - End - #117

Given that it can only have one appearance, I'd say "not just" is an odd way to put it.

Anyway, that statement reads to me as "innearly a the material I've put out". It widened the search area, is all.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Psh. None of their worlds have lasted 6000 years. I'd say we were looking at the year 50, or close to it, by Popcorn's reckoning.

Also, what's a New York?
    But, by my reckoning, as explained earlier, Popcorn has probably been around for 2000 years in their own world and may have survived into the next. My theory still stands.

(Also, I am still here, riding my Giggles theory. It could happen.)

29. - Top - End - #119

But, by my reckoning, as explained earlier, Popcorn has probably been around for 2000 years in their own world and may have survived into the next. My theory still stands.
    Your theory includes the proposition that Thor expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about vis-a-vis sentient movie theater snacks, but Thor also expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about re the theoscopic particles, and even the dumbed down version of quiddity. Which shows that has no bearing on popcorn being a god.

Also, we did not see Popcorn represented in the Godsmoot, so that's a knock against him. And, further, gods are prohibited from direct intervention on the material world.

Popcorn will be a god over my cold, dead body, I tells ya!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

(Also, I am still here, riding my Giggles theory. It could happen.)
    Hasn't Giggles appeared twice? In his first appearance in the early strips, and again on Orc Island? Or am I misremembering?