New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Lore] Does Eilistraee have a clergy

Hello!

I'm potentially heading in a certain known module and am considering a Cleric/Paladin/Warlock or just a devotee of the goddess. From the little I've read about her, she's pretty much only known in the Drow pantheon and is worshiped by Drow outcasts/exiles.

I just had a few questions on this: does Eilistraee have at least chapels? can followers include non-Drow or would one need to be at least Half-Drow and/or adopted in an exile's family?
    Which of the three classes I've mentioned above is she most fitting for as a deity (patron?).

Thank you very much.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Lore] Does Eilistraee have a clergy

Back in 2e and 3e lore, there were settlements of surface drow, worshipping Eilistraee.

By the FR myth Eilistraee is daughter of Lloth and Corellon, who stayed with her mother and brother to have a chance for redemtion of drow. So, in theory, anyone who is interested in voluntary reunion of elves and drow can be a worshipper, or even a cleric of Eilistraee.

(Well, according 2e lore, clerics of Eilistraee ought to be female, but any drow, half-drow, elf or half-elf is Ok...)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Is your module Dungeon of the Mad Mage ?

Because I have got a minor spoiler for you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the replies. The module is Out of the Abyss.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay then, here is the minor spoiler:
    Spoiler: Dungeon of the Mad Mage
    Show
    There is a level with temples individually dedicated to Lolth, Ghaunadaur, Kiaransalee, Selvetarm, Vhaeraun, and Eilistraee. The drow who once lived there must have been quite the heretics to worship the entire Dark Seldarine at once.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Aidamis View Post
    I just had a few questions on this: does Eilistraee have at least chapels?
    Sure, why not? But any place suitable to dance or catch the moonlight can be used for worship.

can followers include non-Drow or would one need to be at least Half-Drow and/or adopted in an exile's family?
    Since half-drow exist, there are also humans who had children with drow, and those humans have their own human family. So there doesn't need to be any drow blood involved in worshippers of Eilistraee. There could even be former slaves of the Underdark worshipping her after they were freed. Or bards & artists who learned dancing & singing from their teacher (a half-elven Eilistraee worshipper).

Which of the three classes I've mentioned above is she most fitting for as a deity (patron?).
    Any, really. A Divine Soul sorcerer might be even more fitting than a paladin, but really any class. The warlock could either have a Celestial patron or a Moonblade/Moonsword (Hexblade) patron.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theaitetos View Post
    a Moonblade/Moonsword (Hexblade) patron.
    This is a really freaking cool idea. Love it!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Show
    There is a level with temples individually dedicated to Lolth, Ghaunadaur, Kiaransalee, Selvetarm, Vhaeraun, and Eilistraee. The drow who once lived there must have been quite the heretics to worship the entire Dark Seldarine at once.
    Quite heretical indeed!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    This is a really freaking cool idea. Love it!
    Yeah, I like it too. However since the Wiki lists Moonblade as a +1 weapon, isn't it too much to ask fomr the GM for a level 1 character? or should I just try for a "dormant" version? heck, from what I've heard the module starts in jail, so I might not even have access to a weapon.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I like it too. However since the Wiki lists Moonblade as a +1 weapon, isn't it too much to ask fomr the GM for a level 1 character? or should I just try for a "dormant" version? heck, from what I've heard the module starts in jail, so I might not even have access to a weapon.
    I don't think so, depending on the starting level. If you're starting above 3rd level, you should be OK. Plus, it's a cool dramatic moment during the jail break!

"Guys, we have to go back."

"...why?"

"Forgot my sword."

And then, depending on how the group reacts, you either re-enter the adventure later (your journey back in to get your sword happens "off-screen") or the DM splits the party, which always ends well. :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I like it too. However since the Wiki lists Moonblade as a +1 weapon, isn't it too much to ask fomr the GM for a level 1 character? or should I just try for a "dormant" version?
    Some ideas:
    • To awaken the sword, you must prove yourself compassionate, courageous and cunning.
    • It will take a master smith and an archpriest to restore the sword to its former might.
    • The sword has been calling to you from the depths of a dungeon in a distant land.

Not that XGtE describes the Hexblade patron as being the weapon itself. It is actually a Shadowfell spirit that is really into weapons. But that's kind of lame, isn't it?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Show
    I guess that's the reason they aren't around anymore...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You can always start with a dormant Moonblade, but usually characters reach level 3 very fast and at that point you can take Blade pact and the Improved Pact Weapon invocation which turns your pact weapon into a +1 magical weapon anyway.

There's also the possibility to add a little lore, if your DM is OK with it. For example, Eilistraee chose a group of worthy followers of hers (your char or his predecessor among them) and gave them those new Moonblades to have a group of "Blade Dancers" just like her to spread the faith and help achieve her goals. And just like the Ravenqueen is thought to be the ultimate power behind Blackrazor (the generic Hexblade patron), Eilistraee would be the ultimate power behind Moonsword, the Hexblade patron of this group.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello!

I'm potentially heading in a certain known module and am considering a Cleric/Paladin/Warlock or just a devotee of the goddess. From the little I've read about her, she's pretty much only known in the Drow pantheon and is worshiped by Drow outcasts/exiles.

I just had a few questions on this: does Eilistraee have at least chapels? can followers include non-Drow or would one need to be at least Half-Drow and/or adopted in an exile's family?

Thank you very much.
    Eilistraee does have a clergy, though of very loose hierarchy, and there's tons of lore about it.
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w..._of_Eilistraee

To answer your questions,

1)Yes, she has shrines that often also work as the center of her communities. For more info about known shrines, see: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...es_and_Temples

2)Eilistraee gladly welcomes any race; acceptance and freedom of expressions are important ideals to her, as you can see here: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w....27s_Teachings

3)Each of the classes you mention would fit her well, but IMO Bards are the best fit for her (her iconic clerics are very similar to bards). An important theme for Eilistraee is nurturing, creating, and preserving beauty; making it flourish in the broken or where no one else would see it. Arts are dear to her for this. Since you like the Hexblafe idea, you might also consider a Hexblade/Swords Bard MC, or a Hexblade/Paladin MC. If you go for Paladin, I suggest the Oath of the Ancients. Its tenets are basically Eilistraee's teachings paraphrased, and the nature/fey theme fits her well.

If you want more, there's this free document on the DMs Guild. It's a compilation of all the canon lore on Eilistraee, her followers, and her orders, with the addition of new cleric, paladin, and bard subclasses for her.
    https://www.dmsguild.com/product/176...-and-her-Faith
    Last edited by Irennan; 2019-12-12 at 06:03 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irennan View Post
    Eilistraee does have a clergy, though of very loose hierarchy, and there's tons of lore about it.
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w..._of_Eilistraee

To answer your questions,

1)Yes, she has shrines that often also work as the center of her communities. For more info about known shrines, see: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...es_and_Temples

2)Eilistraee gladly welcomes any race; acceptance and freedom of expressions are important ideals to her, as you can see here: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w....27s_Teachings

3)Each of the classes you mention would fit her well, but IMO Bards are the best fit for her (her iconic clerics are very similar to bards). An important theme for Eilistraee is nurturing, creating, and preserving beauty; making it flourish in the broken or where no one else would see it. Arts are dear to her for this. Since you like the Hexblafe idea, you might also consider a Hexblade/Swords Bard MC, or a Hexblade/Paladin MC. If you go for Paladin, I suggest the Oath of the Ancients. Its tenets are basically Eilistraee's teachings paraphrased, and the nature/fey theme fits her well.

If you want more, there's this free document on the DMs Guild. It's a compilation of all the canon lore on Eilistraee, her followers, and her orders, with the addition of new cleric, paladin, and bard subclasses for her.
    https://www.dmsguild.com/product/176...-and-her-Faith
    Thank you so much! I still have time before the game, I'll go consult this. Might go Pure Bard cause I've never played one, or Ancients eventually, as I like the flavor and since end-game is around level 15, I'll just barely get the last class feature. Hexblade sounds like a lot of fun but I'd rather refrain from it for now because on a meta level I'm a beginner and I feel a tad intimidated by having to deal with a patron, or if I'll want to become one I'd rather have the Moonblade be some sort of Excalibur I find in the depths. From a technical standpoint, Pally first is then better since they get heavy armor and martial weapons asap, then Smite and an FS at level 2.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thank you so much! I still have time before the game, I'll go consult this. Might go Pure Bard cause I've never played one, or Ancients eventually, as I like the flavor and since end-game is around level 15, I'll just barely get the last class feature. Hexblade sounds like a lot of fun but I'd rather refrain from it for now because on a meta level I'm a beginner and I feel a tad intimidated by having to deal with a patron, or if I'll want to become one I'd rather have the Moonblade be some sort of Excalibur I find in the depths. From a technical standpoint, Pally first is then better since they get heavy armor and martial weapons asap, then Smite and an FS at level 2.
    So I've played multiple versions of an Eilistraeen character over my 2.5 years in the game. Technically you should be a cleric, a light or nature cleric to be more precise. Now you obviously don't have to be, there are multiple ways to skin this cat. I will also take this time to self promote my homebrewed Sword Dancer cleric subclass on D&D Beyond as well, just because lol.