New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The 5e 2020 - Wish List.

There's a thread about some of the things that are expected (by speculation) - but what are some things you HOPE/Wish to see in 2020 for 5e? And why is it you want it? Again, it may not be realistic... but that's what a WISH is for...

Let the fun begin.

I will lead - what I would love to see Dragonlance converted to 5e somehow. I would love to see how they would do the Knights, as well as the way Magic works (depending on Moon Phases, but that might be too much). They sort of already have "Draconians" by having the Dragonborn (you'd just need to add what happens upon death).

So what is some stuff you'd HOPE/WISH to see come down the line in 5e?
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The 5e 2020 - Wish List.

#1: A new XGtE style book with new sub-classes. There's been an uptick of just that in UA recently, so fingers crossed.

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

A module that FINALLY is written in a format that makes it easy to run the adventure. As opposed to the kind we have now where the DM has to mostly memorize before they can run them confidently and well.

It's never gonna happen. We are well into the 5th year and WotC has yet to recognize, let alone deal with, the fundamental limit to the number of customers (the shortage of DMs) by addressing the fundamental problem of the DM (rapid access to essential information while running a scene).

Why do we have a shortage of DMs? It's work. It's a labor of love. Make the DMs job easier, and more people will DM. More DMs means potentially more players.

What if:
    Modules weren't written with walls of text, but text formatted so the DM can easily find what they need to run that scene?
    Scenes in modules followed a set format where the same information was always presented in the same way.
    The NPCs goals, motivations, and approaches/methods were clear in each scene.
    Monster statblocks were shrunk down so they could be included in the text so DMs don't need to access other books while running the game.

I could go on because I've taken steps to do all of this and more. And I don't expect WotC will ever talk to me about it. All they seem to want to do is put out splat with MORE FREAKIN' RULES I have to know in order to run their dang game.
    Last edited by Kurt Kurageous; 2019-12-11 at 05:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A published hardcover that includes significant psionic content.

5. - Top - End - #5

I would love to see Spelljammer or a d20 Modern setting for 5e (Eberron came close, but I think there's more there). I think that would be amazing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

If they make an official list of expanded base class feature using the UA released in November.

Edit: for the record. Not saying all of them, just saying they should have an official releaed list basing itself on the playtesting feedback they got.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2019-12-11 at 05:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    A module that FINALLY is written in a format that makes it easy to run the adventure. As opposed to the kind we have now where the DM has to mostly memorize before they can run them confidently and well.

It's never gonna happen. We are well into the 5th year and WotC has yet to recognize, let alone deal with, the fundamental limit to the number of customers (the shortage of DMs) by addressing the fundamental problem of the DM (rapid access to essential information while running a scene).

Why do we have a shortage of DMs? It's work. It's a labor of love. Make the DMs job easier, and more people will DM. More DMs means potentially more players.

What if:
    Modules weren't written with walls of text, but text formatted so the DM can easily find what they need to run that scene?
    Scenes in modules followed a set format where the same information was always presented in the same way.
    The NPCs goals, motivations, and approaches/methods were clear in each scene.
    Monster statblocks were shrunk down so they could be included in the text so DMs don't need to access other books while running the game.

I could go on because I've taken steps to do all of this and more. And I don't expect WotC will ever talk to me about it. All they seem to want to do is put out splat with MORE FREAKIN' RULES I have to know in order to run their dang game.
    This has been my biggest complaint with written modules. I borrowed a friend's Storm King's Thunder and was so confused by how the information was laid out. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Makorel View Post
    This has been my biggest complaint with written modules. I borrowed a friend's Storm King's Thunder and was so confused by how the information was laid out. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.
    It's been getting better with each written adventure (in my DM's opinion at least) but (in my own opinion) is still a far cry from "easy" to introduce people to DMing with any specific module.

My wish is for more work to go into items, not even necessarily just magic items but mundane as well. A fleshing out of the equipment tables to introduce something for players to spend money on. Bring back some features from older editions where you can have Masterwork items made, with some benefit over standard fare things. Heavy Armor that is designed to be padded, mitigating the effects of it's disadvantage on stealth (but not removing it) or a specially designed Longsword that can be drawn quickly from its scabbard by design.

Just a book with more stuff to spend gold on really, it kind of sits in a worthless pile until someone dies or your campaign has a magic item salesmen.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

What I want the most is Spelljammer. Ideally, the book would include:
    • An overview of Greyspace, Krynnspace, Realmspace, the hard-to-reach Crimsonspace, and more.
    • Stats and maps for spelljammers. The illithid nautiloid, the beholder totally-not-a-Death-Star, etc.
    • Details on Hadar and the other living stars from 4e that were mentioned in VGtM as patrons of the neogi.
    • Lore on fey and shadow crossings in space. Like a ship so long adrift that it echoes in the starless void.
    • Psionics, as a way to keep one's powers constant through different magical environments.

I think it is possible, since they have been teasing the setting for a while.

Of course, they are probably making psionics for Dark Sun.

10. - Top - End - #10

A Forgotten Realms campaign setting to finally update the entire world rather than leaving us in the dark about everything except the Sword Coast and a bit of Chult.

Though I'd also like it not to suck, since Wizards' record on the Realms has been spotty so far, to say the least.
    Last edited by Scots Dragon; 2019-12-11 at 05:56 PM.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I still want an adventure set in/around Thay in the Realms. I have no idea why, but I still do.

I also want to see better halfling artwork, but that's just a nitpick.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Now that we've got a book detailing Eberron content, the logical move would be to release a module set on Eberron. Have that be the standard from now on; of course, it'd be great to have something like Dark Sun or Spelljammer, so a campaign setting book followed by a module set on said setting would allow people to familiarize with the setting itself.

A book on Psionics. This could be the tie-in to Dark Sun. A proper Mystic/Psion class while at that; none of that nonsense about the "Psionics" school of Wizardry. I could dig psionic subclasses, though, specifically for Fighter, Rogue, Monk and maybe even Sorcerer and Warlock. Also, psionic items, and variant content (I.E. variant Gith and Kalashtar, a variant for Warforged, etc.)

Another XGtE, but this time adding the new (and revised) subclasses, the variant class features, and revisions to previous content (probably updating, say, Path of the Battlerager, the Arcana Domain, the Way of the Long Death, the Oath of the Crown, the Undying patron and the Bladesinger school, plus a reprint of the Order domain and the Circle of Spores, and maybe maybe the Tunnel Fighter and Mariner fighting styles). Oh, and a much needed errata to Beastmaster that puts their beast companion in line with the Beasts of Air and Earth, as well as the Wildfire Spirit.

A book detailing content for levels 17-20. Most campaigns don't reach that level, so might as well have a handful of adventures that start at level 15 or 17 and end up in 20th level, as well as ways to make older content feel relevant. Maybe a book that's all about "sequels" to existing adventures for people who finished those modules, to give them new life.

In short...more content that expands all aspects of 5e. This edition has already reached a milestone, and it's time it picks up the pace; it's great that they're keeping content simple and tight, but the devs have embraced a new paradigm, and before it's time to change editions again, might as well work with what legacy content they haven't dealt with already.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    A Forgotten Realms campaign setting to finally update the entire world rather than leaving us in the dark about everything except the Sword Coast and a bit of Chult.
    At this point, I think they should remake The Grand History of the Realms, now focusing on edition calamities:
    • 1e-to-2e, the Time of Troubles
    • 2e-to-3e, ?????
    • 3e-to-4e, the Spellplague
    • 4e-to-5e, the Second Sundering

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    #1: A new XGtE style book with new sub-classes. There's been an uptick of just that in UA recently, so fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    If they make an official list of expanded base class feature using the UA released in November.
    Edit: for the record. Not saying all of them, just saying they should have an official releaed list basing itself on the playtesting feedback they got.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Another XGtE, but this time adding the new (and revised) subclasses, the variant class features, and revisions to previous content (probably updating, say, Path of the Battlerager, the Arcana Domain, the Way of the Long Death, the Oath of the Crown, the Undying patron and the Bladesinger school, plus a reprint of the Order domain and the Circle of Spores, and maybe maybe the Tunnel Fighter and Mariner fighting styles). Oh, and a much needed errata to Beastmaster that puts their beast companion in line with the Beasts of Air and Earth, as well as the Wildfire Spirit.
    A book detailing content for levels 17-20. Most campaigns don't reach that level, so might as well have a handful of adventures that start at level 15 or 17 and end up in 20th level, as well as ways to make older content feel relevant. Maybe a book that's all about "sequels" to existing adventures for people who finished those modules, to give them new life.
    In short...more content that expands all aspects of 5e. This edition has already reached a milestone, and it's time it picks up the pace; it's great that they're keeping content simple and tight, but the devs have embraced a new paradigm, and before it's time to change editions again, might as well work with what legacy content they haven't dealt with already.
    The UA stuff has certainly been interesting - and a great assortment of variations. So I agree. Definitely hope something comes out for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Makorel View Post
    I can agree to this. The modules so far - for me - haven't been so much as "I need to memorize them" - but more of "the party HAS to do A, B, C"... it feels VERY railroad without much wiggle room. For example in Horde of the Dragon Queen - if the party does something that reveals themselves as not cultists while in a specific castle... the party is either as good as dead... or... as good as dead.

I think this one relies on more, "We want to make sure DMs have the other Monster related books."

Though I'd also like it not to suck, since Wizards' record on the Realms has been spotty so far, to say the least.
    That would also be quite nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosnoop110 View Post
    A published hardcover that includes significant psionic content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I would love to see Spelljammer or a d20 Modern setting for 5e (Eberron came close, but I think there's more there). I think that would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    What I want the most is Spelljammer. Ideally, the book would include:
    • An overview of Greyspace, Krynnspace, Realmspace, the hard-to-reach Crimsonspace, and more.
    • Stats and maps for spelljammers. The illithid nautiloid, the beholder totally-not-a-Death-Star, etc.
    • Details on Hadar and the other living stars from 4e that were mentioned in VGtM as patrons of the neogi.
    • Lore on fey and shadow crossings in space. Like a ship so long adrift that it echoes in the starless void.
    • Psionics, as a way to keep one's powers constant through different magical environments.

I think it is possible, since they have been teasing the setting for a while.
    Of course, they are probably making psionics for Dark Sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Now that we've got a book detailing Eberron content, the logical move would be to release a module set on Eberron. Have that be the standard from now on; of course, it'd be great to have something like Dark Sun or Spelljammer, so a campaign setting book followed by a module set on said setting would allow people to familiarize with the setting itself.
    A book on Psionics. This could be the tie-in to Dark Sun. A proper Mystic/Psion class while at that; none of that nonsense about the "Psionics" school of Wizardry. I could dig psionic subclasses, though, specifically for Fighter, Rogue, Monk and maybe even Sorcerer and Warlock. Also, psionic items, and variant content (I.E. variant Gith and Kalashtar, a variant for Warforged, etc.)
    I suspected that Spelljammer would get a lot of love when I mentioned this. I remember playing Spelljammer back in the day - but as someone (for myself) that's never been a fan of Psionics (granted I just remember it from 1st/2nd edition), I felt like it was insanely powerful. But that said, I know Spelljammer folks are out there - and I'd love to see a balanced version of Psionics to change my mind! (Just because I didn't like it before doesn't mean I shut it out forever!)

Another thing, I'd personally like to see since we're talking Spelljammer - made me think of space - is Star Frontiers. I think we need a solid, 5e Space type adventure game (to compete and feed the Star Wars / Star Trek crowds out there)... So seeing Star Frontiers officially converted to 5e in some way would be nice. (I'd even take if they incorporated the Star Frontiers races into 5e Spelljammer, because then it gives us a way to play it!) I believe - what was it - Drasalites were converted to Spelljammer?
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

15. - Top - End - #15

Chimera

Wishes/Hopes for the Player in me:
    - Psionics
    - Summoner class
    - More spells, feats, subclasses, magic items. More content.
    - Something new that I'm not expecting or from an older edition. Like Incarnum or Vestige Magic from 3.5, I want something that feels new to DnD.

Wishes/Hopes for the DM in me:
    - Dark Sun
    - Running a plane-jumping campaign, either Spelljammer or Planescape, or MTG.
    - Running alternate magic systems. Specifically, how to adapt DnD to the MTG Colour Wheel.
    - An easy to run adventure set in Eberron.

16. - Top - End - #16

At this point, I think they should remake The Grand History of the Realms, now focusing on edition calamities:
    • 2e-to-3e, ?????
    The 2e-to-3e transition didn't really have an edition calamity.

And honestly, I'd call the Second Sundering less a calamity, more an obvious attempt at a CTRL+Z since all the 'calamitous' effects were... undoing bits of the Spellplague and Time of Troubles.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

This might be just me, but I want them to abandon the Forgotten Realms for a bit. In the way they released XGE & MTF as “in setting” content books I want them to make similar books set in Eberron. Then, in 2021 I want them to publish Spelljammer & do the same thing. After Spelljammer I want Athas. After that I don’t care. (Though I would like some omnibus content books eventually, like “Complete Warrior” & it have all previously released martial subclasses & options, so that you could more easily do the Core +1 rule)

18. - Top - End - #18

WhiteWizardGirl

Not gonna happen in a million years but:

Netflix announces a reboot/continuation of the D&D cartoon.

Wizards releases a bunch of online content tied into the show and the story/mechanics of “the realm”, similar to what we got in 3.5 with the release of the DVD collection.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    snip
    I would hate to see what modern marketing {Scrubbed} would do to that show. It’s given rules are way out of date too so they would either have to keep it in the older edition or try to update everything.
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2019-12-12 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Cleanup, Aisle D&D

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    Not gonna happen in a million years but:

Netflix announces a reboot/continuation of the D&D cartoon.

Wizards releases a bunch of online content tied into the show and the story/mechanics of “the realm”, similar to what we got in 3.5 with the release of the DVD collection.
    I'll be honest, I really think that would be a good idea.

Not going to hold my breath, but I might actually pick up Netflix. Though if Castlevania didn't make me do that...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

• 2e-to-3e, ?????
    I'm reasonably certain that Die Vecna Die! was the official calamity that triggered the transition from 2e to 3e. It was just a calamity that didn't take place in the Realms.
    Last edited by Thalnawr; 2019-12-11 at 09:21 PM.
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Grappling love for monks.

Capstone variant options like the variant class features UA.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scarytincan View Post
    Grappling love for monks.

Capstone variant options like the variant class features UA.
    Oooh. Variant Capstones would be cool

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I have an idea. For the next Forgotten Realms campaign setting Elminster wakes up from a long nap. Realizes the last 30 years was just a dream. Everything is back to how it was in the 1987 box set now. Rest of the book expands on the realms from there.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Another couple of base classes and a bundle more spells would be my choice.

I would like to see something like alternative spell lists for classes so that you could, for example, play a cleric without healing without giving up on a lot of power in your spell list and power from prepared casting because you got something else instead.

Yeah, and expand on the alternate class features (although as genuinely alternate, where you have to give something up rather than just getting extra nice stuff).

Generally, I have the problem that I just don't want to play 5th edition any more because there is no mechanically good character I want to play that our table has not already seen yet. At a table that is pretty highly optimised it means a repeat of something we have already seen or something that won't stand up to the rigours of a campaign built to challenge. A small amount of power creep is actually a good thing for me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Some more information on actual Archfey.
    Stat blocks etc.

A wisdom based attacker like charisma / hexblade and battlesmith/ intelligence. Sure I know I could play a ranger with druidic warrior and shillelagh, but I’d like to play a 5e warden. (Spores is close I guess).

A lot of the other stuff is like to see has already been mentioned.
    CENTER]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

There are monsters I would like to see make a comeback in one book or another:
    • the archon, guardinal, gehreleth, and other missing outer planars.
    • the brainstealer dragon, or why you shouldn't ceromorph a great wyrm.
    • the fell taint, a sort of big spectral bacterium of silent madness.
    • the gibbering orb, now accompanied by a lesser "beholding mouther".
    • the impersonator mimic, to go full-on The Thing with the campaign.
    • the kaorti and its creations, such as the rukanyr and the skybleeder.

The 2e-to-3e transition didn't really have an edition calamity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that Die Vecna Die! was the official calamity that triggered the transition from 2e to 3e. It was just a calamity that didn't take place in the Realms.
    Alright then, but I would still like a book that summarizes lore for these different ages of the Realms.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

1.I would like to see a shape shifter class.
    2.A remake of magic of incarnum.
    3.Al-Qadim
    4.And finally a planescape or manual of the planes book.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MickyDruidic View Post
    Some more information on actual Archfey.
    Stat blocks etc.
    Ooh, a Feywild adventure would be pretty sweet. And can be tacked on to just about any setting that has a Feywild.

30. - Top - End - #30

Planescape and/or Spelljammer and/or a comprehensive Forgotten Realms campaign setting sourcebook.

And then WotC can have ALL my money.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2019-12-12 at 10:28 AM.