New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Hell freezes over: Microsoft Teams is coming to Linux

Microsoft has announced that Teams is now available as a beta on Linux, and is available in both .deb and .rpm formats. While this is not the first piece of software that Microsoft has supported on Linux, their previous LInux support (AFAIK) has all been either
    1)Software aimed at servers or embedded computers, where Linux is already dominant
    2)Software that was already on Linux before being aquired by Microsoft (e.g.Minecraft Java edition)
    or
    3)Software aimed primarily at programmers (like Visual Studio Code).

Teams, on the other hand, is a component of Microsoft Office, intended to be used on desktops by "ordinary" users. The reason for the change is, apparently, that isn't what some big corporate customers wanted. In particular, Volvo has bunch of office computers running Linux on which they would like to run Microsoft Teams.

Given the way that Microsoft is increasingly tying the components of Office together, I think this news makes it much more likely that we will see Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on Linux in the nearish future.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hell freezes over: Microsoft Teams is coming to Linux

We got Sonic on Nintendo consoles.

We got Nintendo games on mobile phones.

We got Microsoft buying Rare from Nintendo then allowing Banjo-Kazooie in Super Smash Bros.

So it's not that surprising really. As you point out a lot of people using Linux, including big companies, but they're still interested in using certain Microsoft products, so at this point Microsoft would be kinda of a fool to not take the money they're offering. even if they're sticking with Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm not sure Microsoft even cares about selling Windows these days--they seem to be aiming to make their money on the software running on the OS rather than the OS itself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm not sure Microsoft even cares about selling Windows these days--they seem to be aiming to make their money on the software running on the OS rather than the OS itself.
    Correct. Microsoft is moving form a "selling Windows and some Office software" company to a "provide software solutions" company. The market moved away from their stranglehold on the software business and they are adapting.