New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mystic Muse's Magnificent Masquerade Random Banter #225

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Huh, I'd have to look up the rules for daemons, been a while since I've read the books. At a guess I'd have to say no, the name isn't musical enough and he wouldn't have a silly power.

Actually, I'm now wondering how daemon gender actually works, because it's been established that daemons are normally the opposite sex to themselves (I need more pronouns), but how does it work for noncis people? Mainly trans people, would you get a daemon of your birth sex or your actual gender?
    From what I gathered, especially given the sexuality themes from later on, it's likely that Daemons are based on mental things, rather than physical. So, you'd probably get something that was the opposite to your actual gender. And, no, I don't know how things would work for genderfluid people or whatnot. I feel like Pullman didn't put that much thought into it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Huh, I'd have to look up the rules for daemons, been a while since I've read the books. At a guess I'd have to say no, the name isn't musical enough and he wouldn't have a silly power.

Actually, I'm now wondering how daemon gender actually works, because it's been established that daemons are normally the opposite sex to themselves (I need more pronouns), but how does it work for noncis people? Mainly trans people, would you get a daemon of your birth sex or your actual gender?
    Fair point. I know nothing about this series.

Like what DataNinja said, though I'd posit in the case of genderfluid people it would be something decidedly gendered to contrast?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: me, speaking to myself to remember how to spell out the words in Google translate on my phone
    Show
    kwoo on muh apple lay four bee!

French sounds terrible when said like that. Good call on saying it the way you do.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-16 at 03:53 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    From what I gathered, especially given the sexuality themes from later on, it's likely that Daemons are based on mental things, rather than physical. So, you'd probably get something that was the opposite to your actual gender. And, no, I don't know how things would work for genderfluid people or whatnot. I feel like Pullman didn't put that much thought into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Fair point. I know nothing about this series.

Like what DataNinja said, though I'd posit in the case of genderfluid people it would be something decidedly gendered to contrast?
    I mean, yeah, probably, I also believe these books were written before people really thought about this stuff. Like, I know people who refuse to believe that transgender people existed before the nineties because 'we didn't have the technology' (there are few times that I want to punch people).

Also yeah, the sexuality stuff. As I said to a friend just now when she confessed to having never read the books, they get weird. But hey, at least it's not the theme of [redacted], and we can talk about it if we're careful.

Also, Zodi, the books are worth reading despite being a response to Narnia and the weirdness. Like, I think they're supposed to be 14, it's been literal years since I read them, and while people that age are the thing it's still weird. Like, I don't mind that thing in my novels, especially if like HDM they don't completely dominate the book, but I don't expect it in my kids books.

Although a friend is recommending that I read books more dedicated towards that thing, despite my issues with it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I got the challenge rating of 10 if anyone ever faces me.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Also, Zodi, the books are worth reading despite being a response to Narnia and the weirdness.
    Yeah, the last book in particular does get... very weird from what I remember of it. But it was still a decently good read. Not the best thing in the world, but something that I'd recommend to people wanting an opinion on it.

7. - Top - End - #157

I'll give it a look next time I'm free, I think. Should be interesting a read. I want to make a compare-contrast to Big Lion Man and Big Polar Bear.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the last book in particular does get... very weird from what I remember of it. But it was still a decently good read. Not the best thing in the world, but something that I'd recommend to people wanting an opinion on it.
    I mean, I've read weirder, but that's Illuminatus for you (fun fact, the guy who adapted it for the stage is something like my cousin twice removed*). It's totally worth reading, but it's one of those where I warn people before handing it to them.

* Somewhere in the house there's a copy of the Bald Trilogy, and I went to the memorial performance in London to help give my Granny a report.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-16 at 05:58 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

I'll give it a look next time I'm free, I think. Should be interesting a read. I want to make a compare-contrast to Big Lion Man and Big Polar Bear.
    Just note that they have nowhere near the same roles in their respective books. So... there'll probably be a lot of stretching to do.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Just note that they have nowhere near the same roles in their respective books. So... there'll probably be a lot of stretching to do.
    True, Battle Bear is surprisingly important to the plot. I believe the counterpart to Magic Lion only really appears at the end to explain some stuff and make the ending less happy.

Show

11. - Top - End - #161

True, Battle Bear is surprisingly important to the plot. I believe the counterpart to Magic Lion only really appears at the end to explain some stuff and make the ending less happy.
    I mean... Aslan is literally the centerpiece of the series, is in it a bunch, and is incredibly vital to the story. He's literally THE story. The first story is called him, wife goals, and the magic cupboard.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-12-16 at 06:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I mean... Aslan is literally the centerpiece of the series, is in it a bunch, and is incredibly vital to the story. He's literally THE story. The first story is called him, wife goals, and the magic cupboard.
    Man, if anyone's goals for a wife are freaking Jadis, they need professional help.

That'd be like having Ragyo Kiryuin as a wife goal.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2019-12-16 at 06:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was more referring to how past the first book he's pretty hands off and doesn't really affect the plot much beyond being the call to adventure once and transporting people between worlds until the last book. Bear-whose-name-I-forget appears less bit has more direct impact on the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Man, if anyone's goals for a wife are freaking Jadis, they need professional help.
    I agree, Mr Tumnus is a far better spouse candidate.

Show

14. - Top - End - #164

That'd be like having Ragyo Kiryuin as a wife goal.
    Admittedly I was talking about her style and not personality. I haven't seen the film in a decade and have not read the book so I don't actually know how she comes across as a character anymore, I just remember a young baby Zodi liking the imperious ice queen aesthetic.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Admittedly I was talking about her style and not personality. I haven't seen the film in a decade and have not read the book so I don't actually know how she comes across as a character anymore, I just remember a young baby Zodi liking the imperious ice queen aesthetic.
    She abuses and imprisons a child, and is basically the setting's devil equivalent.

In the books she's basically repeatedly established to not have a single redeeming trait whatsoever.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

That's fair. The movie also definitely doesn't cover the bit how in the prequel book
    Spoiler
    Show
    She kinda destroys her entire original world out of spite so that nobody else could have it. Kills everyone else. Reduces it to a charred husk.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-12-16 at 06:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

She abuses and imprisons a child, and is basically the setting's devil equivalent.

In the books she's basically repeatedly established to not have a single redeeming trait whatsoever.
    Yeaah, sorry about that. I kinda forgot she's literally a satan. The ice queen aesthetic is just really cool, and I only have so much power.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

That's fair. The movie also definitely doesn't cover the bit how in the prequel book
    Spoiler
    Show
    She kinda destroys her entire original world out of spite so that nobody else could have it. Kills everyone else. Reduces it to a charred husk.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah yes, the 'ship not fry atomic weapons at home kids' bit.

Anyway, I want opinions. I'm considering explaining to my friend that yes while my feelings for her are mainly platonic, I do have some more romantic feelings WRT her and I need her to slap me in the face if I ever start trying to act on them. Is this a good idea, or is it one of those things you're not supposed to be honest about?

Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Yeaah, sorry about that. I kinda forgot she's literally a satan. The ice queen aesthetic is just really cool, and I only have so much power.
    I mean, to be fair, Tilda Swinton is really good at what she does. I also quite liked her as Gabriel in Constantine, and The Master in Doctor Strange.

20. - Top - End - #170

Sorry if this was a weird train of thought to ride by the by, I've been feeling kinda high-strung today and I just needed to ramble/make jokes until my head emptied.

This tends to happen when one of the lawyer's are up in town, which one is, and I can't really exercise my brain the way I normally do to stay normal during work hours.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sniff Snuff Snarnia, I smell Narnia!

Iirc, Daemons are usually the opposite sex of yourself, but slightly retconned Word of Pullman is that gay people have same-sex Daemons, so there's presumably some kind of interaction between the identity of the host and the Daemon's form. But, yes, these book were written at a time when sexuality and gender identities were less well known, so what exactly that means about other identities is probably up to the reader/fanfic writer and that's a subject I'm too unfamilar with to want to make any statements about.

You can try if you want, but it's basically like trying to compare Mewtwo and Leomon. Still it's definitely a fun read, if heavily steeped in a religious stance that means it probably can't be discussed here. If you're up for it, you should also check out the Cry of the Icemark Trilogy, which is basically a Christian version of HDM, which makes it the anti-anti-Narnia. It's also not bad, despite the description.

Don't forget she once nuked a whole universe rather than admit she had in fact lost the war with her sister for her country.

Ed:
    Anyway, I want opinions. I'm considering explaining to my friend that yes while my feelings for her are mainly platonic, I do have some more romantic feelings WRT her and I need her to slap me in the face if I ever start trying to act on them. Is this a good idea, or is it one of those things you're not supposed to be honest about?
    I'm not by any means an expert, but I'd say this is one of those things to not mention to the people involved.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-12-16 at 08:33 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    You can try if you want, but it's basically like trying to compare Mewtwo and Leomon. Still it's definitely a fun read, if heavily steeped in a religious stance that means it probably can't be discussed here. If you're up for it, you should also check out the Cry of the Icemark Trilogy, which is basically a Christian version of HDM, which makes it the anti-anti-Narnia. It's also not bad, despite the description.
    So what you're saying is that YA Fantasy Fiction is just people constantly trying to one up each other on whether or not religious themes are good and usable, then? Fascinating.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

So what you're saying is that YA Fantasy Fiction is just people constantly trying to one up each other on whether or not religious themes are good and usable, then? Fascinating.
    I'd argue it's more of a series of people going 'This series would be so cool if it wasn't so religious/atheistic, I'm going to do my own version'.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

The Fullmetal Mod: Please tread lightly. Inappropriate Topics are a fickle thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Anyway, I'm considered a mid-tier powerhouse because my challenge rating is 10.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Anyway, I'm considered a mid-tier powerhouse because my challenge rating is 10.
    How do you figure? Does this also mean that if I have to fight you, I lose by GM fiat?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    How do you figure? Does this also mean that if I have to fight you, I lose by GM fiat?
    I'm just guessing. Maybe not a CR 10 but a CR 5 or 4 at least.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

And what are you basing this on, exactly?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

So... maybe a party of four The Furies might stand a chance?

(Don't imagine there being four of me. That would be horrible.)

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

CR 5 means a party of 4 level 5 characters is a fair fight. If you are a CR 5, that means you could take, for ex mple, an armored person with a sword, a wizard who can cast Fireball, an armored holy warrior with a heavy mace, and a bow-and-arrow sniper. All at the same time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-16 at 11:05 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2