Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Rise of Kingdoms IC

The Astral Collective

Reputation 6*

Spoiler: To: the Theocracy of Shemesh - Morale 0
    Show
    The message rings out, clear as a bell, from the centre of Shemesh. The Zenith - for no other force on Hanrui could send a psionic message this way - sends its words ricocheting through minds, spreading outward until it has touched the minds of all in the capital.

OUR DISAPPOINTMENT IS INNUMERABLE. THAT YOU WOULD SO EASILY SACRIFICE ANOTHER NATION THAT FIGHTS FOR GOOD TO AVOID BLOODYING YOUR HANDS IS REPREHENSIBLE. IT SEEMS AS THOUGH SHEMESH IS EASILY SWAYED BY APPEARANCES, AND NOT TRUE COMMITMENT TO GOOD OR EVIL. YOU WILL FIND NO ALLIES IN THE ASTRAL COLLECTIVE.

Spoiler: To the City of Wraiths - Morale 6
    Show

Greetings, Chemosh.

I write to you of two matters. First, we are glad that you were able to procure economic aid from elsewhere. Your actions in the past season have shown that you are able to work for the forces of Good, if nothing else.

Secondly, while an alliance is out of the question, perhaps there will be opportunities for collaboration in future seasons.

Respectfully,

Yonren, Twelfth Speaker of the Astral Collective

*Because I apparently can't keep track of my own stats
    Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2020-01-02 at 04:33 PM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

Behold the Light
    Bask in Heat

Be Radiant
    Be Luminous

We are Bright
    We are Illuminated

Look at the Light
    See Shemesh

The center of the Theocracy of Shemesh is naturally Medju, Capital of Light. Something was happening! All throughout the city, the people clasped their ears, until they realised they were not hearing sound. Some screamed in surprise, especially children, others writhed in seeming pain, as if pushing out whatever befell them. A number of those meditating or praying, remained calm, keeping to their meditation or prayer. Those in rituals and ceremonies reacted varied. There were those who diligently continued, not letting themselves be disrupted, while others faltered, with some returning to it and others finishing it up to seek out their beloved.

Many faithful, ever so many faithful, stood, looked up and offered their prayers to Shemesh.

Behold the Light
    Bask in Heat

Be Radiant
    Be Luminous

We are Bright
    We are Illuminated

Look at the Light
    See Shemesh

3. - Top - End - #93

RogueGuy

Silvermist

"What I wouldn't give for some good old fashioned Chronomancy."

Spoiler: A public message to the Free City of Khasal
    Show
    Looking back over my letters I see that all of my grievances could have been avoided had a few letters arrived in a different order. We would have informed you of our press of attack with the backing of the Astral Collective. Who have reminded me of reason. We would both have more resources to press forward with and my ever dwindling supply of the Halfling flower would have much greater quantity. I look forward to a time when we will have a more solid foundation and understanding between us.

To the Theocracy of Shemesh. "We can only speak what we see. The mist might cloud our vision, but your actions burn bright. While you are here though, could we perhaps work out an arrangement? With all of our recent endeavors, we were wondering if instead of economic backing, if you could happen to lend military aid in exchange for more of our minstrels? We could do so much as pay double for each regiment." ((ooc))I can go as high as 4 mor for 2 Mil((ooc))

Spoiler: The Astral Collective: Mor 7
    Show
    I will bring ruin to the Brotherhood of Sin in my actions. I have tried from the beginning to not sit idly by and to rally others to action. I apologize for my failures. If your words had reached my ears a moment sooner, I feel that a combined effort between myself and the Free Cities would be underway at this very moment. That is my fault. I look forward to striking the Brotherhood of Sin with your help.

Spoiler: Church of the Truth Speaker: Mor 7
    Show
    The deal is too good to turn down. If it is an acceptable trade, we will grant you one of our adventuring companies permanently in exchange for the use of your military this season.

Spoiler: The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn: Mor7
    Show
    We have limited resources left for trade this turn, but if it is possible, we would like to work out a trade for 3 Mil.
    Last edited by LimSindull; 2020-01-03 at 09:10 AM.
    "I'll get a cool quote, just you wait."
    Here is the backdrop to the first Campaign in my Titan Blood World.
    Bastilonis

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

City of Wraiths Morale 7

Spoiler: The Ironfang Empire
    Show

Please be careful with you pacts with the Pillar of Wisdom. We are currently in a pseudo war with them due to them trying to cripple our economy and their weird belief that certain races are intrinsically evil. While nothing is wrong with you being in a non-aggression pact with them, please be aware any aid or trade you give either them or us will now break a non-aggression until this resolves itself.

Spoiler: Silvermist
    Show

We understand, if you ever do want us to attack someone who isn't directly allied with us or in the non-aggression pact just send us an offer. We are targeting mostly the evil in the world like slavers and racists but if you have a good reason then we are glad to help. We would definitely be willing to look at dealing with the Brotherhood once those that attacked my lands are dealt with.

Spoiler: The Astral Collective
    Show

One day, hopefully you will see the benefits of an alliance, but working together is still a great step forward. Maybe after we work together for awhile, you will be more willing.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2020-01-02 at 09:47 PM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion of Balance
    Public

The women raises an eyebrow at the pilgrim and answers tightly "Watch yourself Pilgrim, we do not fight for power. We fight for a higher power, Balance. We do not stoop to target nations for such a mere mortal concern such as power. We have fought all over the world against all manner of beings, when one legion falls another is sent. We have not lost a Legion since the fall of Askendor four centuries ago and this Legion does not plan to start."

The Paladin stops for a second and stares at the Pilgrim after his proposal, waiting almost a minute before she calls for a messenger stone. The Paladin sequesters herself for a solid hour before emerging again. Having changed to the red fire form she arrives and hands over a long weather proofed page of vellum. "The Legion commanders have consulted and we are willing to make a deal. We have several demands however if you want to make this work.
    - The Theocracy of Shemesh will declare war against any nations that the Legion wars with until the great change, including any the Legion is currently at war with.
    - The Theocracy of Shemesh will cede Crystal Spires of Zawty (Territory 18) to the Legion along with the related resources (standard territory loss rules).
    - The Theocracy of Shemesh will allow the Legion to travel through its lands to gain access to the sea and build a single sea route to a target of our choice.
    - Finally the Theocracy of Shemesh must better themselves, hold themselves up as paragons of balance and neutrality (Raise your Rep to 5 in the next 3 Turns)

Fall of Balam and Rise of the Templars

The cape with Balam has come to chaos. With the targeted strikes the small city state came to ruin, the outer regions furthest from the main city ceding under the rule of several brutal taskmasters with their dark magics and broken slaves. The new territory set to making their new lands secure, at the cost of their slaves. They ended up calling on their slave corps and the dark magics of their slave masters to finish their projects.

While the new ceded lands of New Balam were running ragged trying to prepare their new home the original city was in ruins. After the raids slaves were rioting in the streets, powerful witch-priests attempting to seize power, and insurgents sowing discord. The final straw was the Kraken that briefly appeared looking for food. The powerful beast destroyed the docks and shipping warehouses, hundreds of slaves and citizens were consumed. Slaves, citizens, and powerful leaders fled. They formed small groups in the lands around the city, fading from the powerful city state to a small group of weakened individuals fighting for power.

All the various break off groups needed something, something greater then they were. Then... it arrived. One day various scouts and starving slaves spotted a massive fleet coming on the horizon. A massive fleet that seemed to be crewed by powerful well trained vulture people flying the standards of an order of Templars.

Maybe these peoples would be the thing to change the shape of Hanrui...

Spoiler
    Show
    New player is now in. LordAthos and the Templars of Our Burning Savior
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

Public message to the Legion of Balance

“My apologies, I meant no offense.” Djehu offered as the Paladin answered tightly, before sequestering for a solid hour.

When the Paladin returns, Djehu listens closely. He talks a short bit with the Paladin to ensure they are on the same page about territory, as it might be a source of confusion. (See above picture for territory names.) Territory 18 is Resplendent Kalon, with the Crystal Spires of Zawty much closer to the coast (Territory 2). Afterwards, he acknowledges he understood the terms. “I will return to the Theocracy of Shemesh to relay these demands. I will be back soon.” Taking the weather proofed page of vellum along, he moves back over the Legion of Balance - Theocracy of Shemesh border.

A few days later, he returns once more. “Greetings again. The Theocracy of Shemesh agrees to three of the demands, but has another proposal for one of them. Instead of ceding Resplendent Kalon, the Theocracy of Shemesh offers to fully assist the Legion of Balance to expand to Permedj Beach (Territory 55), as long as this is not used to expand to the Plateau of Seba (Territory 3). This makes the terms as follows:

- The Theocracy of Shemesh will declare war against any nations that the Legion wars with until the great change, including any the Legion is currently at war with.
    - The Theocracy of Shemesh will fully assist the Legion of Balance to expand to Permedj beach (Territory 55) this season. (Turn 2 the Theocracy of Shemesh will invest all stats required for the Legion of Balance to expand to Territory 55.)
    - The Legion of Balance will not expand to the Plateau of Seba (Territory 3).
    - The Theocracy of Shemesh will allow the Legion to travel through its lands to gain access to and from Permedj Beach and thus, the sea.
    - Finally the Theocracy of Shemesh will cast Light on the path to balance and neutrality and be a bright beacon towards it (Raise their Rep to 5 in the next 3 Turns [Turn 3, 4, 5])

Is this agreeable?”

Public message to all, except the Legion of Balance, Fungal Combine, the Brotherhood of Sin and Church of the Truth Speaker

The Theocracy of Shemesh currently acknowledges as highest bid for its [2 Economy]:

[2 Morale]

(OOC: Bidding ends in 20 minutes from this post.)

EDIT!

Public message to the Free City of Khasal

A caravan, loaded with treasure, departs from Medju, Capital of Light, in the Theocracy of Shemesh, heading towards the Free City of Khasal. Speeding ahead is a messenger.

“Atena, the Theocracy of Shemesh accepts your bid! The treasure is being sent and the offered street performers, illusionists and public entertainers are welcome in the Theocracy of Shemesh!”

(OOC: Bidding ended! The Free City of Khasal won the bid. The Theocracy of Shemesh sends 2 Economy in exchange for 2 Morale from the Free City of Khasal.)
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-03 at 10:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion of Balance
    Public

"It is not agreeable. It is our deal with Resplendent Kalon or nothing. Do not mistake us pilgrim. We are not here to act as a shield against those you fear, positioned to guard against any who would attack Shemesh."

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 6
    Reputation 6

Spoiler: To the Church of the Truth Speaker
    Show
    Dearest Voices of the Truth,

You have our confidence when it comes to matters of international import. We count your Church among our allies on Hanrui. As such, we have absolutely no trouble with your stepping in to help alleviate the situation between our negotiators and those of Silvermist. As our expeditionary fleet has already set sail for the shores of the Free City of Khasal, I have had to personally step in to cool off matters somewhat. Your own aid towards the adventurers was greatly appreciated as a balm to soothe tensions. As such, the Ironfang Republic thanks you for your contributions.

Best regards,

Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued, Secretary General of the Republic

Spoiler: To Silvermist
    Show
    Dearest adventurers,

As General Azaersi has already set sail, I find myself now in contact with you as an intermediary. Having read through the past correspondence, allow me to apologize once more on behalf of the Republic for any inconvenience we may have caused you. As things stand now, the bid from the Free City of Khasal stands as more preferable for us at this time, so we will be sticking with them this season. That being said, our non-aggression pact stands all the same. We understand that you are in a particularly difficult spot, with the Brotherhood of Sin on your very doorstep. To that end, we have permitted the Church of the Truth Speaker to stand in and make their own offer to you as way of consolation. We hope that can be enough to remedy any hurt feelings about our deal falling through.

One final piece of advice, given in the spirit of cooperation: you have friends on Hanrui, if not necessarily on your own continent of Kyrsull. The Republic, the Holds of Khazn Durn, the Church of the Truth Speaker, and the Astral Collective are all watching your situation with interest. Several of us have gotten into contact with you over recent months. Rest assured that the nations of Rivaness have your best interests at heart, and will help you if we can. In the following season, you may have cause to reach out to all or any of us again. I would encourage you to do so.

Best regards,

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal
    Show
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If preferable, I would like as much ADV sent this turn as possible - if you can only send 2 ADV, that's fine with me and I will make do. Ideally, you would send over 3 REP, 2 ECO, and 2 ADV in exchange for my 5 MIL, 1 ADV, and 1 MAG. That would be an even trade, I think.

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance
    Show
    Dear Lady Darkseeker,

Your words have been received across the Republic. Many of us goblins question the nature of good and evil, and wonder if they are perhaps words on a page instead of metaphysical concepts to be battled. That being said, our actions should speak more to neutrality than any opposite end. You say that the Ironfangs jumped to create a peace summit. This is surely true, and I was personally the architect of the gathering. However, just as many 'evil' nations arrived as 'good' ones, and the final result was neither conflict nor alliance but rather a nebulous agreement for the nations not to interfere with each other. Balance - insofar as it exists - was attained. I would argue that the summit has done as much to counteract the forces of light and darkness in this realm than your swords.

The Republic wants to bring peace and prosperity to Hanrui. We have been open about our aims since we arrived. However, the means of doing so involve regulating the actions of all nations - good and evil - and binding them to a course that sees everyone suffer and prosper in equal measure. Given such end and means, how can you say that the goblin people are not champions of balance as well?

Best regards,

Show
    I see your argument, and raise you: Lawful Neutral!

Spoiler: To the Pillar of Wisdom
    Show
    Dearest Magister of Jade,

Your amenability to our initial terms has been met with smiles here in Oprak. Our nation wishes nothing but peace and harmony across Hanrui, and yet your missive was among the more civil to reach our ears. The Republic plans to uphold our end of the bargain we have struck with you by promising that we will not take up arms against your polity, nor will we aid those who plan on doing so.

As far as your second request goes... we are unsure as to the nature of the experiments you plan on doing on the bodies of our dead, but the burial rituals of the goblin people are considered by many clans and tribes here in the Republic to be sacrosanct. How we treat our dead is what separates us from the animals, dear mage. We may be able to send over the bodies of a few who have died dishonorably or whose clans do not care about their remains, but such a deal would have to come with strict conditions. Furthermore, our various resources are all currently in use, so any dealings we make would have to be in the future.

Best regards,

Show
    We can maybe make a deal... but not this turn, as our resources are all tied up. We will see whether favorable terms arise in the next season.

Spoiler: To the Wraiths
    Show
    Dear tenebrous and insubstantial wraiths,

Rest assured, our dealings with the Jade Wizard and his Pillar of Wisdom are not the makings of an alliance of any sort. The Republic has a vested interest in treating all of those we see as nations equally and fairly, which means that our agreements of non-aggression and non-interference have been extended to many polities and principalities across Hanrui. We value your input and your beliefs, and wish you no harm whatsoever.

That being said, any dealings we make with the wizards independently of your nation is the business of the Ironfang Republic. Currently, they wish for us to send them dead bodies, an enterprise which does not exactly enthuse many of our elders. Many of our clans have been used and manipulated by evil wizards in the past. However, if we were to take up the Pillar on their promise in exchange for fair compensation, such a trade should not constitute a breach of our existing deal. The same is true of any deals that we might make with your kingdom. If you do not agree with this interpretation of our agreement, please write me back personally at Oprak at your earliest convenience, and we will see what arrangement our two factions can come to.

Best regards,

Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Source: http://sourcecreations.net/

Theocracy of Shemesh

The Light Blinds
    The Heat Burns
    Blazing Rays
    Scorching Waves

Wings envelop
    Sand raises
    Shemesh protects
    All in the Light

Public message to the Legion of Balance

No.

Shemesh protects.

We will defend Resplendent Kalon with our lives.

May you once see the Light of Shemesh as we do.

Djehu leaves.

Public message to the Astral Collective

A female messenger arrives. “Greetings. I am Senefer from the Theocracy of Shemesh. I politely ask the Astral Collective to send a normal messenger when they have a message for the Theocracy of Shemesh, instead of whatever it was what happened in Medju, Capital of Light.”

Public message to Silvermist

Hysenmer looks pleased with the words offered by the gnome of Silvermist. When suggesting an arrangement, he listens. He informs the one he is conversing with that he would need to ask at home, and leaves.

After a long journey back and forth, Hysenmer returns, with much haste.

“The Theocracy of Shemesh accepts your arrangement.”

Hysenmer then kneels down and clasps his hands together, begging:

“Please, I beg of you, send as many of your minstrels as you can, for the situation of the Theocracy of Shemesh is most dire.”

Public message to all, except the Legion of Balance, Fungal Combine, the Brotherhood of Sin and Church of the Truth Speaker

Messengers venture far and wide through Hanrui. They arrive at the each of their destinations and kneel down, their hands clasped to the one who will listen, begging.

Please, I beg of you on behalf of the Theocracy of Shemesh, support us in prayer (Morale) as we stand against the Legion of Balance!

The Theocracy is willing to provide magic (2 Magic) and espionage (3 Espionage) in exchange to the highest bidders, in any combination, as long as the prayer is stronger than what we offer!

(OOC: Offering 2 Magic and 3 Espionage for at least 6 Morale. Bids on part of the stats are accepted, as long as the Morale bid is highered than offered (example: 2 Magic for 3 Morale). The Theocracy of Shemesh will accept the most lucrative combination of bids from any of the factions. Bid ends in 5 hours from when this post was made (which is 4.5 hours from when this edit was made.))
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-03 at 11:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn

With the King away on matters of foreign affairs, Forgemaster Kargrin Firehammer tends to the affairs of the state on matters of trade. The season grows late, but he still does his duty and sends out missives to those whom seek to trade.

Spoiler: To Silvermist (Mor 7)
    Show
    Greetings to the adventurers of Silvermist,

We have conducted an audit of our available resources and, while it would involve considerable shifting of resources internally to provide it, we can allocate dwarven strategists, siege engineers and a shipload of arms and armor to Silvermist before the new season.

We are willing to accept payment for these services and resources in any valuable trade goods you have uncovered within your territory.

If these terms are agreeable, we will set sail immediately upon acceptance.

In Service,
    Forgemaster Kargrin Firehammer

((OOC: Proposing 3 MIL in exchange for 2 ECO and 2 REP.))

Spoiler: To Theocracy of Shemesh (Public)
    Show
    To the Theocracy of Shemesh,

Though we cannot provide the requested support, I feel the need to offer some advice out of compassion for your current plight in regards to the manner and conduct of trade.

When one is in an unfavorable situation, that weighs against them in regards to the value of services, resources and goods. Your most recent request is one in which you beg other nations to aid you, and then offer less value for the requested services than they are worth. Normally, when one truly wants an exchange to happen, they would offer more than the base value of what they desire--even if it is in promise of future payment.

It is not hidden to the other nations that you are in an unfavorable situation, and thus any could see that the value of prayer is higher to you than what you offer particularly in light of the threat on your border.

I wish you luck in your trade, though all of our economical advisers believe it unlikely to see fruit. We recommend an amendment in which you offer a more favorable future payment structure, in the hopes that such might bring you what you require.

Perhaps in future seasons we will be able to offer better assistance than simple advice.

In Service,
    Forgemaster Kargrin Firehammer

11. - Top - End - #101

Around the lands of Shemesh, angels had been sitting perched on high spires and rooftops, listening to the news coming from their Legion of Balance. The offer of kinship, the term of the Legion, then the final rejection. Once the messengers came with news of the rejection, the angels slowly left the spires until there were only a small handful watching in the moonlight.

Once a group of priests is exits the church for the night, the angels drop down from the roof in front of them, the leader of the Angels, Grand Speaker Dawn speaks at the priests rather than to them.

"Your offer to the Legion has made it clear that you wish to bask in the name of good rather than defend its many forms. You may have rejected their terms, but your offer of war against the Church and all the good nations of Hanrui will not be forgotten simply because it didn't benefit you enough."

Dawn flexes her wings, showing the almost 14 foot wingspan that she needs to carry herself and her armor. "We are common foes of the Legion of Balance, but unfortunately you have made it clear that they made a mistake considering you one of their main representatives on the side of good. We are open to co-ordinate but we cannot consider you friends until you have atoned for your choices. "

The angel turns to leave and then holds out a small scroll, "This is for your archpreistess."

Spoiler: The Letter to the Priestess: MOR 5
    Show

The Legion of Balance is going to be disrupted by the Church in two weeks. You will witness the power of the Voice.

12. - Top - End - #102

RogueGuy

Silvermist

Spoiler: City of Wraiths: Mor 7
    Show
    We were unaware that anything more than a simple term of non aggression had come out of the Ironfang meeting. As there is nothing offered to hold anyone to the terms of the non aggression treaty, we see it as a facade. If alliances were formed, we are sore for our missing them. Our tone would be greatly different in times of turmoil if we had any foundation to understand others through. We do hope that you're necromancers will be here to guide us. We can try it ourselves, but it's my understanding that we will only get one shot at this. ((ooc))That last part is just playing into the fluff.((ooc))

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic: Mor 7
    Show
    For your part, we did see the gesture to try and create a more binding agreement. We felt that the rejection of your investment by every other party besides us was a tail tell sign that the non-aggression agreement meant as much as they were putting in. As for the recent events, I hope our position is understandable. We will carry no will ill once the seasons change and we've gotten some time to get over it. Till we meet again in meeting or through letter.

Spoiler: Shemesh: Mor 7
    Show
    And so we shall.

Spoiler: Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn: Mor 7
    Show
    We look forward to seeing your armaments and engineers. It's been a while since i've seen Mountain Dwarves. Do send some ale as well. Our ships are loading up now.
    Bastilonis

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Morale 7 City of Wraiths

Spoiler: The Ironfang Republic
    Show

Dear Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued

Anything you give or trade them will attack us or will be used to free up resources to attack us. That is pretty clearly a breach of the non-aggression pact, in the same way that if I had taken Silvermist's offer to give them spies to harm Khasal for money I would be in breach. If you didn't know and it wasn't obvious, it wouldn't be as that would be an unfair standard, but I am quite clearly telling you what will happen. Any aid you give one of us of any type, will actively hurt the other person and would be a covert attack against them. Even giving something to keep either of us from collapsing can be seen as a covert attack if we don't end the pseudo war, as that would be prolonging the war to harm the other person. The rules were clear, no harmful action against another person in the non-aggression pact and it was stated that was any action not just military.

A body probably doesn't matter seeing the Pillar aren't necromancers that we know of and it isn't inherently magical but more concrete trades with either of us have to be carefully considered until a peace is achieved.

Thank you for your time,
    Vizier Salazar

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

The trade offer by Theocracy of Shemesh has expired. No bids were made.

Public message to the Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn

A male messenger arrives. “Greetings. I am Senmose, from the Theocracy of Shemesh. Please extend our gratitude to Forgemaster Kargrin Firehammer, for his advice on matters of trade!

There was desperate hope there is somebody who would see more value in what is offered than what is asked, or was kind enough to hear our plea and offer aid in such a trade. As the Forgemaster predicted, this did not happen.

The advice to offer something in the future for help now is being prayed upon and there is hope it may lead to wisdom in the time to come. Thank you, once more.”

Public message to the Church of the Truth Speaker

“AAAH! The guardian spirits have come!” A rallying cry as many devout flock to the call, looking around for any danger that is besetting them. Many similar occurrences happen if and when angels from the Church of the Truth Speaker are spotted. Without them making a special attempt, this is likely, as many of the faithful often look at the skies during prayer, which they do a lot.

The people of the Theocracy of Shemesh do not regard the angels as dangerous, but instead assume there is danger around when they see them. Once it becomes apparent there is no threat of invasion, sieges, massive armies encroaching upon their lands, they try to hail the angels and ask what danger lurks about, how they can help, and what they can do, if the angels let the followers of Shemesh near them at all.

One group of priests does see angels drop nearby. Several of them immediately react concerned as if there is danger about, with a few hailing them as spirit guardians. When Grand Speaker Dawn speaks up, one of the priests quickly informs the others that this is an angel from the Church of the Truth Speaker, and their attitude changes. Several look curious, others reverent and a few still look about for danger, though this time include the angels.

When Dawn holds out the small scroll, a priestess takes it, while the priest that informed the others that this angel is from the church, shouts one word loudly and harshly, his anger showing.

“LIAR!”

“One of your angels told Archpriestess Akharet that we have to renounce Shemesh for you to aid us! You have no intention to coordinate with us! Your atonement would have us renounce Shemesh! With such demands, you cast no light on the path to friendship!”

The priest takes a deep breath, before continuing.

“The Theocracy of Shemesh does not wish to go to war against the Church of the Truth Speaker, and would deeply regret to go to do so. In the Light of Shemesh we seek no war, though it has found us. By striking a deal with the Legion of Balance, the greatest use of Darkness could be banished from Hanrui! Yet their terms are too dark to consider further.”

The priest kneels down, as do the other priests, with more looking reverent to the angels.

“I offer my apologies for what has transpired, guardian spirit. A light was attempted to be lit on a path that wanted only darkness, and we should have known. My brothers and sisters united by rays of Shemesh, together, we are desperate. We heard we could not count on the Church of the Truth Speaker to assist or cooperate with the Theocracy of Shemesh against the Legion of Balance, as Grand Voice Khal wrote this is not the season for action. While the Theocracy of Shemesh has found worthwhile traders in Hanrui, our people in Medju, Capital of Light, have been assaulted by some kind of magic speaking of a far away land and how they are disappointed and would not ally. We have no friends but our faithful and we must protect them. We take up the Light of Shemesh to try and find a way through Darkness.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-03 at 02:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Christening

Simple farmers toiling in the fields were the first to spot them. Red sails - many of them. An almost uncountable number, spanning the horizon.

It was a massive fleet, headed directly towards them, and they were under the blood-red sails of the Templars. As servants of the sorcerer lord of Shar'baoth, they knew what it meant, and they ran.

‐----------------------------------------------

The High Master hadn't expected an easy landing, and he had turned out to be right.
    Those sorcerers grew more fierce the more desperate their situation was, and that was as true here as back in Anta'dur. He could see regiments of militia, thrown together hastily from many different species - humans, orcs, Dark elves - bearing nothing but leather armour and spears, standing with obvious unease next to grotesque summoned beasts.
    Those weren't the problem, though.

The High Master looked next to him, to the priestess clad in a golden breastplate, her red robes flowing in the wind, as a blue ball of conjured energy shattered on the field of magical fire she had held up in Our Saviour's name.
    A small stream of blood flowed down her beak.

The true sorcerers of the colony had assembled very quickly, and bombarded them without pause ever since. The Clerics' magic had prevented them from doing any true harm, for now. His grip tightened around his golden scimitar. The coast couldn't come soon enough, though.

"CENTER FLAME, COMMENCE HALF BROADSIDES!" finally came the order from the Grand Admiral, being communicated from ship to ship with small yellow flags. The High Master nodded towards the Grand Admiral, who touched the tip of his red bicorne in respect.

They could reach them, finally.
    The center of the Templar's fleet changed course slightly, and with a
    "FIRE!" the Oracai's siege throwers, a magically and alchemically imbued ballista-like weapon, opened fire from dozens of ships, devastating the coastline with balls of brightly glowing fire.

The citizens' militia broke, immediately - the screams of burning people, masses of them, flailing about, unearthly sounds when the summoned creatures died, taking part of the mind of their summoners with them, who collapsed with blood streaming from their eyes.

An army of small ships were let down from the Templar fleet, each with their own red sail bearing the Symbol of Our Golden Saviour, and the High Master was one of the first to board. Still protected by the Clerics with defensive domes of fire against the magic attacks of the sorcerers, that had grown less numerous, and against the rain of arrows from militia units that the sorcerers had been able to regroup. The High Master saw one of the ships near him burst in a blast of deep red energy, then another. The Clerics were exhausted. A lucky arrow struck his shoulder plate, then another got stuck in his shield.

But at that point, the small ships aready ran aground on the beach.

"GLORY TO THE FLAME!
    his voice rose above the noise of war, the desperate screams of the dying, and was joined by hundreds of voices of his fellow templars as they charged up at the crumbling enemy lines.

It was a massacre. The militia with their spears, men, orcs and elves with fear in their eyes, were simply swept away by the wave of Templar steel and fury their line bloodily smashed down and left in ruins of broken corpses. The Knights then went hunting for sorcerers, or to help their comrades surrounding the summoned creatures who resisted fearlessly, though many blinked out of existence as their masters died.
    By now, sariants had taken up position on the beach, firing with their crossbows at every mage they could set their sights on.

The battle had been decided shortly after the Faithful of Our Burning Saviour had landed. Some Templars lay dead, but it had been a one-sided battle, like leading an animal to slaughter. The cursed lands of Hanrui would surely test them with more challenging battles soon, the High Master knew, as he regarded the battlefield in his blood-splattered golden armour.

The banner of the Templars was flown from the highest building of the village, as the last sorcerer of the immediate area has been hunted down and executed.
    As a huge pyre of celebration was lit in the townsquare, the gathered fleet unloaded vast amounts of materials, slaves and soldiers onto the mainland.

The Templars had made landfall, and soon, the whole region was under their control. The Crusader State had been established, and the Templars ready to take their next step.
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-01-04 at 03:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 3

"War's one of those things, don't you think, where everyone always thinks they're in the right have you noticed that? Nobody ever says we're the bad guys, we're going to beat **** out of the good guys." – Caryl Churchill.

The burning summer gives way to the cool winds of Autumn. The cool winds turn into a horrible cold as the winds of winter sweep over Hanrui, making survival questionable as wars close and others eye their neighbors.

Open to Change

Those few towns, villages, tribes, and small cities that have not been brought into the fold of any of these growing nations are begging to join. They see the world shrinking around them and they want the protection afforded to them by the powerful. Feared and loathed some nations may be it is still better than being ground down between the fights of the powerful.

Whether it be welcoming those installing a new figurehead, military occupations, joining a nation by dint of connections and influence, or powerful magics bringing them in. The limits have been lowered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cost to invade a neutral territory is 1 less for both attrition and non attrition costs.

Training in the Agoge

Yaethor stops his lecturing to snap his quarterstaff over the unfortunate teens back, he had been falling behind in the power of his strikes so he deserved a strike. Not hard enough to break anything but enough to leave a hard bruise for several days, maybe making him pass blood tonight.

“Strike like you need to break through armor! Strike like the lives of your people depend on it! Strike for the Daitoii!”

This new class was falling behind, they were supposed to be able to at least contend with the graduates by now. Not beat them of course but at least put up a fight. If they didn’t pick up the pace then they would die during the graduation ceremony. It was time for some of the more serious training, they would visit the home of their horrors and the bane of their town. The Forest of the Undying.

Spoiler
    Show
    Territory 4 gains 2 Mil for whoever takes it.

Expansion

The summer was the time for expansion. Nations have spread like a wildfire; leveraging their reputation to gain influence over the isolated, marching armies in to occupy, using magical power to impress and confuse.

The continent of Kyrsull is being devoured slowly but surely. The Fungal Combine continues its slow but unstoppable expansion throughout the world. The Templars have spread their crusade to more unbelievers. On one side the Theocracy and Legion slowly duke it out, and on the other the Brotherhood, Silvermist, and Khasal are viciously scrapping.

On Rivaness the lack of war has seen the continual rapid expansion of its nations. The Ironfang Republic have spread to the coastal island on the west side of the continent. The Dwarf Hold manages to bring in another mountain bordered territory to their nation. The Church of the Truth Speaker sends their clerics and faithful forth to spread the word of the Voice. Finally the Astral Collective spreads to take the new magical town for their own good, bringing them into the fold.

Sins of the Betrayed

Izoran dragged his axe along the rock wall as he walked along the trail of the mountain path, an armored zombie tripped behind him and fell off as it kept trying to walk. Breaking apart as it hit the ground. He grinned as he saw the zombie fall, good thing he had hundreds of those basic things. His legion devils managed to get across without an issue and the adventurous troops from Silvermist were practically trained to fight in non standard environments.

It took several hours, hours Izoran spent feeling chained and pent up. He had to wait for the Silvermist agents to take out the Ironfang scouts in the area before they could move in. He was hungry for it and his subordinates could tell. After he bisected a zombie that got in the way of his pacing they decided to leave him alone.

Then the call came, they were ready. He could finally come to life again, chained by the lack of war and the requirements of running a nation. Izoran the Unchained was ready to let loose and the goblins were not prepared. The hulking seven foot tall eight hundred pound monster hit the barely formed goblin lines like an unstoppable wrecking ball. Khasal troops streamed out of the city to try and reinforce but it was too late, a horde of devils and undead hit the unprepared city like a brick. Silvermist troops hit strategic locations, taking them before the Kasal army could get there.

When dawn came the city had lost two thirds of its population from either evacuation, when the Khasal army had got its stuff together and started the evacuation, or from being murdered by the invaders. The rest were now under the thumb of the Brotherhood.

Kraken Yeeting

As the Legion marches to war they are left mostly undefended, though no one was prepared for what happened. The large oasis outside of the main legion fortress was being used for regular caravan traffic and for water transport. Then suddenly a large white light fills the oasis, a glowing figure fills the water and the glow intensifies before erupting into a kraken. The savvy spy corps are able to track that the massive kraken that had been rampaging along the coastal regions of Silvermist had also dissapeared about the same time the one in the middle of the desert appeared.

All shall fear the mighty desert kraken!

Balance of War

The Legion has sent its warnings, attempted its diplomacy, and is now deploying its Legions. Twelve hundred well armed soldiers covered in black half plate bearing polearms with shortswords strapped to their waist. Half a dozen companies of Paladins march in front, their armors thicker and their weapons deadlier while bearing dark magics to counter the light spells of the Theocracy.

Paladin Commander Ji’Van is sent with three hundred soldiers and her company of Paladins to take the eastern most towns of the Resplendent Kalon. She leads her paladins to the temple as her soldiers take down the town guard and zealots that are popping up throughout lands. Ji’Van gathers her top Paladins, elite experienced crusaders that had survived a dozen wars. Their eyes suck in the light, destroying it as they channel their weapons to gather the darkness and shatter the wards over the temple. Giving the signal the rest of her unit storms in, slaying the clerics and pilgrims to the last.

She had experienced the change a dozen times already, both sides of the Legion experienced this when they started the crusade. It was different then changing into already settled forms, the way she had flipped through half a dozen ones a few weeks ago had been easy. The Paladin commander glanced down at the Pilgrim she had impaled on the bottom of her halberd, he had deserved her personal attention. It was the least she could do, he had been an interesting man to talk to and despite the deal not working she had enjoyed discussing the intricacies of the Legion with him.

It was appropriate that the change was happening now, she had impaled him on the sign of Shemesh that he loved so much. He had hated the darkness they wore like a brand, it had influenced her. She explored that, feeling herself falling deeper into the darkness. She felt a darkness, it was similar to the basic darkness of the evil that the Legion was fighting for but… deeper, darker, something that was more than just the absence of light but something that had never seen light. She opened her eyes and suddenly the light started to be sucked in, the light in the room went down several levels. Her armor seemed more like the red dragon armor but more shadow dragon, black scales and clawed gauntlets. She breathed a bit and several wisps of shadow came out.

She knelt down to pray to the Lady of Balance as she listened to the sounds of Balance being enforced by her Paladins. Several minutes later she looked to see her unit gathered around her, covered in variations of blood and sand but one and all looking like her and ready to fight, “Hail the Lady Saladrahal and ready for the fight for Balance.”

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Our Saviour's Blessing

The High Priestess Vestis of House Ionlar walked amongst the faithful, on the city square. She had no eyes for the busy lives of the Oracai and slaves who passed by, against whom a troop of 13 Sariant Halberdiers stood guard around her. No, her eyes laid firmly on the west of the square, where a great building stood, towering over the adjacent townhouses. It was built fully from the dark granite of the west, with arabesque carvings around its pillars, high, jagged towers and a great dome of stained glass in the center, with intricately formed pieces of yellow and orange glass depicting the flames of Our Saviour. She was most happy with her work.

This was the newly-built and recently finished Temple of Our Burning Saviour on cursed Hanrui, and unsurprisingly, it was heavily guarded by more Sariant brothers and sisters. The thought that this magnificent building was not built to be a center of faith forever, would be abandonend once their mission was complete, caused a sudden sting in her heart. Lightly lowering her beak in humility, she started walking serenely towards the entrance portal.

The floors of the vast entry hall were made from red marble, and at every pillar lining the hall there was a bright torch, illuminating the room with golden light. Numerous statues of saints and other legendary figures from the Holy Scriptures lined the walls as well.

There were giant statues of all the Saints and Martyrs of Cursed Hanrui, each one a shrine to its own.
    Grand Master Ectis of House Orondra, in The Cuirass of Faith, heavily ornamented Full Plate armour, Holy Wings of Fire spreading from his back. High Priest Verdeq of her own house, holding the holy trumpet in contemplation. The bizarre spider creature Lord Zin'Thio the Forsaken, breaking a foe with his bare hands. Holy Pyresoul, breathing a great burst of fire in all his glory.

On the ceiling there was a single, vast painting of impressive artistry, depicting an enormous, winged being of blinding light floating above a battlefield - the golden-clad Templars were doing battle with a barbaric force of browns and greens on a desert landscape. Some of the Templars depicted seemed to burst into flames, some taking flight and joining the winged being in the skies as flaming disciples. Their barbaric adversaries were in the process of being slaughtered, those that were facing the blinding light were clutching in pain at their faces, fires blazing out of their eyes.

It was glorious, truly, worthy of Our Saviour, she thought, as she regarded the details of the painting while walking towards the center of the temple, the great glass dome. She stopped right in the middle of it, and looked up. Yellow and orange lights fell onto her from the stained glass above.
    She shuddered blissfully.

You truly felt on fire here.

18. - Top - End - #108

The Artisans for a Dragon’s Horde

The Dwarven Artisans had been hard at work over the past months. Most of the Dwarves had been working in the Fortress for months on a massive ‘main project’; The rest of them had been sent off into the territories around the Church lands in order to lend an expert hand to infrastructure.

Initially the believers had been skeptical of the foreigners in the lands. The Voice told them to be kind but that the Dwarves did not hear her, and that they wouldn’t for now. It put the Dwarves in a strange category, seeing as the Voice didn’t seem to be talking to them at all. 

As the months wore on, the believers and Dwarves worked together. The chorus tried to make the fields and villages of the church feel more like home with warm hearths and heavier ale, and the dwarves brought hundreds of years of mechanical expertise to the lands.

With the dawn of a new season and the first stiff Autumn breeze it was a year to the day that the Fortress of First words had been christened, and the Grand Voices worked with the Dwarves to reveal the new centre piece of the fortress.

Eighty feet high and made of gold and flashing silver. A statue of the voice. A many winged warrior angel with the face of a mother. Her shield raised high to protect her followers and her sword stowed to offer peace. Mirrors around the courtyard focused the light onto her so that she could shine as bright as she seemed in her followers ears.

Between that and the works of infrastructure that had happened around their lands, the people of the church were more united than ever in their place on this new world. Their mission was clear, and now was the time for action!

The Blood Price

When the first scout reports came back of the Salugthrer around Khasal , Dawn ordered for the troops to divert their attention form the Legion of Balance and toward the lands of Silvermist. As the second scouts began reporting that their troops had only been used for training and preparation, only to be left behind once the Silvermist troops marched off to battle she stowed away her blade and took up a pen. Technicalities be damned when it came to future trade, but she wasn’t going to declare war of a deal technically kept.

Though the adventuring company sent to the Church would be brought to the Temple of Dreams to make sure that all of them heard the Voice before the end of the week.

Spoiler: MOR 0
    Show

To the Collective Leaders of Silvermist.

Though you held to our agreement, you still used our forces to help fund your war machine, smiling and denouncing the Brotherhood while throwing in with them behind our backs.

In case the name didn’t hint you, the Church of the Voice and Truth Seeker takes the words you say very seriously. Your words and actions are not aligned. We appreciate our interactions in the past, but we can no longer trust that they are truthful.

Your merchants will no longer find a home in the Fortress of First Words.

Show
    OOC: The Church of the Truth Speaker has denounced Silvermist and ceased all trade with them

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal and the Ironfang Republic: MOR 9
    Show
    The letter is delivered to a camp where both nations have soldiers outside of Khasal. The angels who delivers it swiftly arrives by night and leaves the commanders to read. Several more angels arrive to help the refugees of the free city.

To our Friends of the Free City and the Ironfang Republic.

We are sorry for your losses this past season. I don’t believe any of us expected for the Silvermist to throw in with the side of evil over something as petty as a trade dispute that we helped resolve.

I don’t believe that it is any solace to you that our troops were not used in the battle, but it was at least Solace to me to know that we did not hurt any of our friends in battle.

We have ceased trade with the SIlvermist, and would request guidance on your next steps in this conflict. We are here to atone how we can.

Your ever-worried friend,

Grand Voice Khal

Spoiler: To the Theocracy: MOR 9
    Show
    Good evening, of whenever this finds you, hopefully daylight. I am grand Voice Jeleva of the Church of the Truth Speaker.

I am sorry to hear of the conflict actively going in within your borders but I must ask, in any of your conflicts have you heard about a Kraken arriving in the Legion of Balance. I have been told not to ask them about its status but I am wondering about the results of my project. A beast like that hearing the Voice is simply fun.

If you haven’t heard anything of it. The Kraken was just some love from The Church to the Legion. More practical than sending troops across the world. If nothing else more impactful.

We shall send more love like that to the Legion if we can find it.

Grand Voice Hybert,

Spoiler: To the Dwarves: MOR 9
    Show
    Thank you for your Artisans this past season! The statue turned out wonderfully!

Sending our best ales that we made for them back with them to the stronghold, they are a touch too strong for the average tongue here.

If you have any requests for trade this season we would be happy to field any offers.

Grand Voice Khal

Spoiler: The Nations of Rivaness: MOR 9
    Show

Does anyone else want to host or should I prepare more wine of the coming days?

If yes and you are worried about spies reading your messages. Simply congratulate us on our successful construction project. If you would prefer to host, boast about your own wonderful city.

Grand Voice Khal.

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2020-01-06 at 03:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

“NOOO! Not my daughter! Take me, no- HEBEKY! In desperation, the mother tried to clutch her daughter from the dark knight before her. The walls had shattered, those raised in stone and those raised in faith, darkness marching amongst them. She wept, she wept. “Sheme-eErghurgle” She did not look at the blade that pierced her heart, only to Hebeky, her beloved daughter, lying next to the slain guardian spirit that had protected them to the last. She joined them on the ground, lifeless.

Pilgrim Djehu prayed. In the last Temple to Shemesh in Resplendent Kalon, he looked up at the sky, where dark clouds had gathered and covered the lands. The temple, made of sandstone and with open roof, was warded well, Shemesh protecting those inside. Yet the darkness prevailed against the wards and the walls of the temple became mere sandstone, moments later, Paladin Fortress commander Ji’Vin bursted through the wall, flinging a guardian spirit against the walls, which vanished in brief burst of light, snuffed out by the darkness.

“The Light of Shemesh is everlasting. May you once see the Light of She-” Coughing, blood spilling upon the floor as the light of life left the body, impaled on the halberd. His death was a long agony, his lung punctured, nothing left to say. The Legion of Darkness had beaten the light.

No longer Resplendent Kalon. Now it was Tenebrous Kalon.

The Theocracy of Shemesh wept.

Public message to all, except the Legion of Darkness and the Fungal Combine

The messengers of the Theocracy of Shemesh look more shoddy than ever, hardly kempt, with tears in their clothes unmend during their journey. Their faces look to have both teared too much and baked in the deserts too much.

“Darkness is encroaching upon Hanrui. May all see, as we did, that darkness is horror. The black of despair. The grim shadow, the dark void.”

“Saladrahal seeks no balance, but only her whim of everlasting strife, dread and turmoil. We reveal horror.”

OOC: I am claiming the Legion of Balance has decreased significantly in Reputation.

Public message to the Church of the Truth Seeker

Nebtise drags herself to the Church of the Truth Seeker, worn out by the journey. She mumbles incoherently in prayer and needs a long rest before actually being able to tell her message.

“I.. do not know. We.. maybe it helped. As, as we brought the Light of Shemesh upon them.. to break their preparations. It.. please..”

Nebtise throws herself in kneeling position and begs, grovels and pleads.

“Please! Please.. please do. Help us! Help us! Let anybody help us!”

Public message to the Pillar of Wisdom

A dishoveled male messenger arrives and throws himself at which apprentice or wizard’s representative or whoever will listen.

“I’m Tawadjmu! From Shemesh! Theocracy! Theocracy! Theocracy of Shemesh! HELP! HELP! Darkness will consume us! Help us! Please! Horror! Stop the HORROR!
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-06 at 04:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

The Astral Collective

YOU WERE GIVEN VERY EXPLICIT ORDERS.

Zeilrae shifted his not-inconsiderable mass, anger surging through him as the chains pulled and chafed against his scales. The small cavern in which he had been imprisoned (at great cost, he thought smugly) had clearly not been designed for a dragon. The stone chamber, which had been pristine when he arrived, was now charred and scorched with dragonfire. No matter how much fire he breathed, however, the stones wouldn’t melt. His only light came from the embers scattered around the room and the purple glowing runes that had proved immune to his flame.

He growled. The indignity. How dare they. He had granted them the privilege of working alongside them, and this is how they treated him?

THE FARMER COULD NOT POSSIBLE HAVE HARMED YOU. HE WAS SCARED. HE ACTED OUT OF PANIC.

Fuming, he snarled out a response. “The gnat fired on me. An insignificant speck like him dared lift arms against the likes of me? Unforgivable.”

Silence. The cowards. Sending their words directly into his mind, instead of coming to see them face-to-face. Oh, let the Council show themselves. He would delight in sinking his claws into their flesh, tearing them limb from limb, devouring their bones.

AND HIS FAMILY? HIS CHILDREN? YOU BURNED THEM TO ASH.

Despite the pain, Zeilrae refused to relent. He would not show weakness.

“They had to be taught a lesson. There are consequences for disrespecting a dragon.”

Again, there was nothing but the ache in his skull.

VERY WELL. WE HAVE LEARNED OUR LESSON. WE HAD SUCH HOPES FOR YOU, ZEILRAE. IT SEEMS AS THOUGH WE GAVE YOU FAR TOO MUCH AUTONOMY. THAT WILL HAVE TO CHANGE.

Zeilrae roared, flame spilling forth from his jaws, straining against the chains that bound him. “I will DESTROY you! When I break free, your precious tetrahedrons will burn! I will bring ruin to this pitiful landmass! I will-”

It was like being struck by lightning. Pain blossomed in his skull, threatening to shatter his mind. It was a barrage of noise and thought and light that would not end. Over it all, Zeilrae could barely make out a single words, repeated, threatening to drown him in its eminence.

-EYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOBEYOB-
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Some time later, Zeilrae stirred from his slumbed. With a yawn – from a creature his size, it was more of slow roar than anything else – he stretched his wings and pulled himself up off the enormous carpet where he slept. He wandered over to the centre of the aery, where the sky shone through an opening large enough to allow him to enter and depart at will. What a glorious day.

Shaking his head to clear off the grogginess – he must not have slept well – the dragon launched into the air, soaring out of the edifice. The dense jungles of the Astral Collective stretched out before him. Zeilrae felt… contentment. Not a feeling he was used to. These people had shown him nothing but kindness, after all. He would obey their orders. It would be his privilege to fight for them, to make the world a better place.

Messages - Reputation 6

Spoiler: To the Denizens of Rivaness: Morale 11
    Show
    Greetings to my most esteemed colleagues. It would be the Astral Collective’s privilege to host representatives from your nations at Tetrahedron Twelve this autumn. I imagine that there is a great deal for us to discuss.

I look forward to seeing you all.

Yonren, Twelfth Speaker of the Astral Collective

Spoiler: To Silvermist: Morale 11
    Show
    The scroll appears directly in the heart of the Adventurer’s Guild, glowing with a furious magenta energy. It appears as though the effect is purely cosmetic.

You have betrayed our trust and our goodwill. You have willingly aided the forces of the Nine Hells in their conquests. We care not for Khasal, but when we provided you with our tutelage in the ways of subtle influence, it came with a single condition: that you would dedicate yourselves to the eradication of the Brotherhood of Sin. Instead, you have denounced them in public while allying with them in secret. Perhaps you learned our lesson too well.

We digress. You have broken the spirit of our agreement and have proven yourselves to be untrustworthy. We demand that our investment be repaid, effective immediately. Do this, and we will consider the matter settled. Do not, and risk our wrath.

Despite your duplicity, we would still rather settle this as reasonable nation-states. We expect your answer shortly.

The Council of the Astral Collective

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The Astral Collective is no longer satisfied with the previous terms of the deal, as you have broken the spirit of the agreement by willingly aiding the Brotherhood of Sin. They are demanding 2 permanent espionage (the points that you generated with their help), to be sent immediately, with no further expectation of temporary espionage in the future.
    Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2020-01-06 at 09:02 PM.
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn
    Morale: 8

Work Continues at Home

King Thurgin Wildhammer sat in his throne room, the first day of court since work had been finished. He surveyed the room, pleased by the intricate stonework of the columns making orderly rows through the center of the large hall, the ornate murals covering the walls forged in precious metals, and the throne itself made from the coveted Kingsteel with golden inlay and forged into a work of art. Finally, the skill, wealth and culture of the dwarves was able to be displayed to any who were invited to the Hold.

The season had been quite busy, and he was glad it was over. Though the future seasons still laid ahead, and such weighed upon his mind. Plans and tactics played out in his mind, but that was a problem for later.

"Durstrim, me boy, how be the preparations?"

"Three companies 'ave been raised from th' land. Th' Forgemaster 'as done a good job o' equippin' 'em, I've trained 'em, an' they be ready t' keep our foes away."

The dwarf king nods satisfiedly. "Good. Our lands be safe, then. An' wha' o' our promises in th' north?"

The Forgemaster steps forward to reply. "Th' engineers 'ave built roads, houses an' fortifications throughout th' northern province as promised t' yer new subjects, me king. All reports 'ave been tha' they be pleased wit' it all, an' are proud t' be part o' the kingdom."

"Excellent. See tha' some barrels o' ale be sent north and plan a celebration for them, then. A good party be good fer the soul."

"Aye, me king. They'll be most 'appy by yer generosity."

"And any word from our engineers and workers sent to the lands o' the Church?"

"Aye, me king. They be on their way home now. Seems their experiences were a bit...weird, but t' their credit the Church be reported t' 'ave done everythin' they could t' make them comfortable an' treated 'em well. The Church 'as sent ye a message o' thanks, as well." The Forgemaster hands the king a scroll, and the King briefly scans it before nodding satisfiedly.

"Good. I 'ad some worry fer the lads with the Church's apparent desire to make all hear their voice...apparently even by force. Seems they be true to their word and be fine friends. And what o' the advisers that be sent to Silvermist?"

The Thane steps forward again, a frown obvious on his face. "Our dwarves did th' job they were 'ired fer. Brought 'em weapons, advised 'em on siege equipment and 'elped them wit' their defensive strategies. Th' report be tha' they didn't see many Silvermist troops while they be there an' doin' the work, which be odd if they be askin' us t' 'elp their army improve. But th' reason became clear with other reports... Silvermist an' th' Brotherhood o' Sin 'ave banded t'gether an' attacked th' Free City o' Khasal. Took a town on th' coast."

The King frowns at the words of his son. "That be explaining why they wanted our troops t' defend their land...so that they could launch an attack without worry. Allying wit' the Brotherhood be a bit further than I expected o' them, and their action made us Dwarves unwittin' accomplices to their evils and the slaughter. An' they attacked the Free City after denouncin' the Brotherhood an' speakin' words o' peace an' hope toward the City." He frowns, and states one of the worst accusations a Dwarf could utter. "Their words be nothin' but wind."

And so, for the first time in this new world, the order is given: "Bring forward th' book."

The great horn of the Dwarf Hold sounds deep and loud, reverberating through the mountain and across the surrounding hills and plains. The echo can be heard for miles as it bounces off the southern mountains and reaches toward the seas. And all dwarves know: an entry has been added to the Book of Grudges.

Spoiler: To Silvermist (Public)
    Show
    To Silvermist,

While you honored your agreement with us, it has become clear that your words denouncing the Brotherhood and of hope for a peaceful and prosperous future with the Free City were nothing but wind.

You have shown your will to not be solid like the mountain, but instead to be as fluid as sand. And an attack without a proper, honorable declaration of war is unworthy of any respect.

You shall find no more welcome from the Dwarves, and no more assistance.

Written by one who is willing to speak the truth with honor and stand by his words,
    King Thurgin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To the Church (Mor 8)
    Show
    To Grand Voice Khal,

We are glad that our engineers were able to please you and look forward to someday seeing the statue that was constructed. We've heard nothing but good reports from our engineers, and would like to offer our gratitude with the treatment you provided them.

We look forward to trading with you again, and shall certainly inform you of any requests that we have.

King Thurgin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To the Nations of Rivaness (Mor 8)
    Show
    To our fellow inhabitants of Rivaness,

The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn would also be honored to host our next meeting.

King Thurgin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal (Mor 8)
    Show
    To the Free City,

It seems that the Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn were made unwitting accomplices in the attack that recently befell you. We had provided military advisers and equipment to Silvermist per a trade agreement to help them plan defense works and strategy, which appears to have alleviated their own military forces from the need to defend their land and allowed them to attack you unhindered with their newfound allies.

For our part in allowing their dishonorable act without any proper declaration, we apologize.

We are willing to provide whatever assistance we can spare in order to right this wrong and restore our honor from this despicable act.

King Thurgin Wildhammer
    Last edited by Janwin; 2020-01-06 at 05:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

The Free People of Khasal
    Reputation 3
    All Messages de facto Public

Krikeri was the Architect of Flesh but, as the priests told it, it had once been so much more. The beating heart of a vast and connected world, an unending kingdom of monsters and beasts all governed by the same universal passions. Torn from its throne in the heart of the world and cast into the void by the hosts of Heaven, it was divorced from its former self, needing the hands and hearts of others to feel, their tools and minds to alter what had once been its own quicksilver flesh.

The day of its Festival was normally one of the joyous occasions on the city’s calendar, full of competitions of grace and might, experimentation in flesh and form, and the rejuvenation of the aged and sick. Normally, of course, the City was not a sacked and burnt husk, it’s population fleeing en mass with everything they could carry as brave mercenaries and clever stratagems held back the onrushing tide of hellish wrath and silver treachery. On this occasion, the celebration took on a different tone.

Outside the nascent fortress-city of Quepta, there was a vast field of packed earth. For the last months it had been a drilling ground, Hobgoblin drill sergeants had worked themselves to exhaustion imposing some level of skill and discipline upon thousands of gathered street toughs, bandit champions, and foolhardy young volunteers. The tents pulled down, surrounded by masses of gawking refugees, it now hosted the new army’s final benediction.

Facing imminent invasion from the literal legions of Hell, the panicking citizens of Khasal had screamed out with one voice for an army to defend them. From their number, they had charged the Exalted Lia Misri with the task of calling one into being. Beloved of the Architect, Weaver in Blood and Bone, Mother of Monsters- no one can say they did not know just who they were empowering.

The array encircled the field, drawn thickly with a mulch of blood and bone which had required weeks of nigh-constant ritual sacrifice and slaughter of prized livestock and rare mutations alike. Patterns were drawn to call desired facets of the Architect closer to the surface-the Kindly Surgeon, the Warping Plague, the Deathless Beast-and distrusted equidistantly around them were chanting acolytes calling forth their God and hobgoblin spell-eaters keeping it from escaping its bounds.

Within the circle was a slaughter to rival anything the devils were carrying out in their stolen city, if a more constructive one. Four thousand light infantry had formed unsteady battalions and, urged on by their captains and the rising magic and their own lust for glory, fallen upon each other. That had been nearly a week ago, and the melee was just now reaching its crescendo. Some two hundred combatants remained, and none could easily pass for human, as the blessings of Krikeri and the scores of souls coursing within each healed and improved the body upon any injury. In the pools of blood and acid and ichor that bubbled and hissed on the gore-stained ground, the vast and unblinking eyes could, in the right light, be glimpsed.

As the sun set on the sixth day and, freed from the ritual, the celebrants and arcanists around the edge collapsed with exhaustion almost as one, Lia flew above the circle, born aloft on newly grown gossamer wings. The survivors within were far beyond exhaustion, or shock and horror, but more than a few sagged with confusion as their bloodlust suddenly ebbed.

Hovering near the head of something many-eyed, hexepedal and vaguely draconic, she began to speak, her voice amplified and echoing for the benefit of the many, many refugees.

“Congratulations, Champions! Your are the Beloved of the Architect of Flesh, deathless and immortal! You are the greatest this land has yet produced, and you shall be the army of our Liberation!”

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic
    Show

Hail to the Heroic General Azaersi

My condolences for the loss of so many of your men in the defence of the City. They died bravely, and their valour allowed many of our citizens to escape. I swear to you, they will not be forgotten and, once these devils and their wretches are screaming in Hell, it will be repaid in full.

It would show no cowardice to return to your home and your own affairs. But I have a home to reclaim, and am in dire need of soldier to take it with. If you or any of your legions could be convinced or hired to fight by my side, I would be further indebted.

May your dreams burn themselves unto the world,
    -The Magnificent Vyas Asrays, Maestro of Falling Stars, Tyrant of the Broken Shore

Spoiler: Church of the Truth Seeker,
    Show

To Grand Voice Khal, and that which speaks through them,

I mean, firstly, the angels are appreciated. Dying of cholera in a moth-eaten tent in a damp field is something I’m personally opposed to, at least.

But, trying not to be accidentally insulting here, how invested is your church in how all this turn out? Because ‘a bit of much-needed humanitarian aid’, ‘being all poetic and sending an equal force to what the gnomes tricked out of you’ and ‘devoting every resource to ending the diabolical scourge before it devours any more souls’ all seem pretty plausible.

But I mean, generally, your priests must be really good at banishing fiends, right?

[The page is signed with a barely legible ‘Atena’, and below that a somewhat grandiose looking stamp reading ‘The Intrepid Atena Nalar, Ruby-Eyed and Ruin-Seeker, Cartographer of the Perfected Map, Elected Captain of Khasal-in-Quepta]

Spoiler: City of Wraiths
    Show

Greetings to the Grand Duke of Death!

While affairs closer to home have been dearly concerning to read about, I would like to thank you once again for your lovely hospitality these last weeks. I think our cooperation so far has shown rather remarkable results, all things considered.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that a clear symbol of success to rally around is exactly what my people need in these dark and devil-haunted times. If the idea is at all suitable, I would love to repay your favor and host you in Quepta in 10 days or so?

Best regards,
    The People’s Friend, and Yours,
    The Esteemed Corin Letarra, Ambassador-in-Exile of Khasal

Spoiler: Silvermist
    Show

This is not so much a ‘letter’ as a song sung by an extremely loud, well-camouflaged, and difficult to dissuade songbird that makes its perch by the Captain’s office window

Oh, artfully done! I hope you sold your soul dearly, and your new masters pamper you with only the lightest and most comfortable chains.

Spoiler: Templars of Our Burning Savior
    Show

To the Paladins of the Burning Wing,

Welcome to the New World and, since you only border horrible fungus-ants and treacherous idiots, best wishes for your future conquests.

I’ll skip the flowery euphemisms and get to the point, if you don’t mind-what is your religions opinion on the literal ****ing legions of hell, and can your Crusade be allied with, hired, or otherwise collaborated with by the People of Khasal.

If ‘bad’, and/or ‘yes’, respectively, then I would love to discuss specifics.

[The page is signed with a barely legible ‘Atena’, and below that a somewhat grandiose looking stamp reading ‘The Intrepid Atena Nalar, Ruby-Eyed and Ruin-Seeker, Cartographer of the Perfected Map, Elected Captain of Khasal-in-Quepta]

Spoiler: Astral Collective
    Show

To Kalira, Skilled and Shadowed

I apologize for my tardy reply to your earlier offer. As I’m sure you’re more than aware, affairs in my homeland have been both distressing and distracting of late. But now that I have the chance to write, I must say that my friends and I must decline your generous offer. As you might guess, most of those who might be interested will be otherwise occupied in the coming months, and the rest have, being brashly honest, simply received a better offer.

But in the event that you are willing to consider other avenues of trade? In the past season you and yours offered that, ah, famously pragmatic adventurers of Silvermist a particularly generous offer. Might we be able to negotiate something on similar terms? I, at least, can swear without deceit that anything gained will be spent on efforts you would approve of.

Best regards,

Spoiler: Khazn Durn
    Show

To the King Under the Mountain,

Your kind words and sentiments are deeply appreciated, and your offer even more so. It goes without saying, but the City of course bears no ill will towards those who have been so crudely deceived and defrauded by Captain Goldfinfer and his compatriots-clearly, we believed his promises of peace were sincere as well.

As for aide-well, virtually anything would be dearly appreciated. Clearly I would love to welcome soldiers marching side by side with us to reclaim the City, but though I am no logistician (and I would dearly like to be wrong about this!), but my understanding is that supporting and supplying any sort of offensive campaign from Rivaness is still something of a theoretical exercise? In which case, the most good you could do lies in the refugees who have fled the diabolical advance and seen their homes burn behind them. Either simple humanitarian aide to see to their material needs and lift their spirits, or simply the same service that you provided to Silvermist- providing security and peace of mind so that all of our efforts may be focused outward.

Again, my sincere thanks for your kinds words and offer,

Best regards,
    The world was born in flame and art,
    The world was born – then torn apart.
    Creation’s sorrow rent the sky
    T​o know all things would cool and die​.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 7
    Reputation 7

Best Laid Plans

On a blustering autumn day, Bruthazmus watched in glum silence as his life's worked inched further and further away from him. All it took was a corpulent little toad of a goblin spilling his poison for the Council to hear. Unfortunately, Cave Lord Zrasch'in had every right to speak at this assembly, as his Omite tribe of deep goblins had been ratified not two months ago.

"... should have cut ties when we had the chance. T'was foolish of the Council to even send so many across the sea, yes t'was." Zrasch'in had a very particular palette - as was tradition in his line - one that tended to cause certain digestive problems as he grew in size. Unfortunately, his diet was also accompanied by the breath of a battlefield left out in the sun, so when Zrasch'in let out a belch mid-speech, several other tribesmen were suddenly reaching for something with which to wipe their eyes. The rest of the goblin elder's appearance was certainly no better: what would have been a smart silk suit on any other creature was instead stained by grease and other unmentionables. And Bruthazmus didn't want to think too much about the little charm bracelet that the elder had on his wrist, the one with the little carved wooden horse idol. "Hrm, excuse me. As I was saying, now that our firebrand of general's gotten us involved with the Free City, we have no choice but to reply to this treachery from those who pretend to our allies. Honor will demand it. All other ventures and projects must be put on hold, at least until the Kyrsull situation has been dealt with and the nation of Silvermist has been utterly destroyed."

The applause that met the Cave Lord's motion was damning. Bruthazmus knew in that moment that he had lost months, if not years of progress. Grinding his fangs together, the tawny bugbear did his best to keep his expression neutral. He began to raise himself up out of his own chair to address the group, only to find another in his place. The goblin who had beaten him to the bare expanse of the Highest Throne was ancient, more age than substance. Wisps of white hair fell into an uneven curtain atop her head, and she wore a robe of scales of shimmering jade and jet. Every goblin knew her: Ghala, former exarch of the Brothers in Arms and lorekeeper of the Hymns of Hadregash. It was she who, along with Kraelos himself, had translated the scrolls into the now common goblin tongue. At eighty years old, she was probably the oldest goblin in existence. Although she was technically Clanless just as he was, her name alone wielded respect in this company like a cudgel.

"I was not aware that the Ironfang Republic consisted of unruly children. Who are we, to bite when baited? Our soldiers may play at being wolves, but we are smarter than animals. The adventurers may have erred in judgment, but they are already reaping the harvest of their betrayal. One by one, the nations of Hanrui are abandoning them. A public denunciation will do - declaring war on Silvermist now might lionize them, casting us as the aggressors. Our Even-Tongued friend would be the first to remind you that such a perception would run counter to our entire enterprise." As she spoke, Ghala's gaze met his idly, and Bruthazmus wondered whether his sudden salvation would come at a price. "Make no mistake, friend goblins: we will have answer for the deaths of our own. However, there is other work yet to be done. I hope that we do not sacrifice long term ends for short term gains."

He had to admit that it was refreshing to hear his own rhetoric echoed back at him, even though he couldn't quite believe Ghala's sincerity. No, the odds that he'd be doing favors in the dark for a while were fairly overwhelming. The bugbear Secretary General smiled through his teeth, and awaited his turn to take the stand. As he brushed past Ghala on his way up to the black stone podium, he could swear that he heard the matron emit a tiny chuckle. It was at that moment that Bruthazmus stopped considering the possibility of a cost and began actively dreading learning of its magnitude.

"Esteemed goblins of Oprak," the one known as the Even-Tongued began when he made it to the center of the hall, as he raised his hands in a placating gesture, "allow me to speak to you this hour of the many virtues of friendship..."

Noms de Guerre

Fire. It consumed air, wood, flesh, steel, and stone. However, tonight it was a balm and not a scourge. As General Azaersi stood atop the promontory of crumbled ruin and stared out at nearly two thousand goblin faces, she tried in vain to count the gleaming bundles of red-orange pyres. To say that the casualties had been brutal was understating matters. A third of her entire force was gone, which meant that she had been within a couple hundred troops of a complete rout. Her own intervention in the fray had helped hold the line steady, but it had been a damned close thing.

Of course, the same could not be said for Khasal itself. The stone facades that remained at the outskirts could hardly be called a city anymore, as what were once walls now resembled nothing so much as a loose pile of vaguely connected boulders. Avenues had been split by damnation, hellfire, and good old munitions. Azaersi suppressed a grimace as she was once more reminded of the fact that the Republic forces had lost most of their accumulated siege in the attack. They had been betrayed, this much the general had divined when the battle had turned so quickly. Someone had sold them out; there was no other explanation for the Brotherhood's knowledge of the weak points in the lines or their swift and sudden attack. Azaersi had her list of suspects, although confirmation would have to wait until she received word back from Oprak and the Council of Clans.

For now, there was nothing to do other than... pick up the pieces.

"The Expeditionary Army of the Republic sailed across the Sindar Ocean, with nothing but promises of distant fortune to catch its sails." Once more, the commanding officer of the Ironfang army stood ready to deliver a speech during their darkest hour. It did not seem like a skill one would need when becoming a general, and yet here she was. Her voice - bolstered by a handy spell she'd picked up from a Khasal adepti - carried much further than should have been possible, reaching the very back ranks without issue. As her host listened raptly, Azaersi pressed on. "You were charged with the defense of the Free City of Khasal and its people from the forces of darkness. Yet when Khasal itself fell, your banner still flew. The harbingers of sin broke your lines, they burned you out, they stormed every single bastion you defended - and yet you did not break."

"I could praise you," she called out, "but what could I possibly say now that would ring louder than your deeds on this field today? You have faced the impossible, and that makes you mighty. I ask you now, goblin to goblin: have you ever fought a battle that you were meant to win?"

Only laughter answered her, harsh and grim and unshakably proud.

"In older times when our people were enslaved to tyrants, names were granted to honour the actions of the bravest hosts. Noms de guerre, they were called in some places, cognomen in others. You have passed through fire and death, and so this honour is now your due." Azaersi was shouting now, her words reverberating like thunder among the broken stones. "No longer are you the Expeditionary Army of the Republic. Today you take your rightful place as the First Ironfang Legion! You will be the vanguard of our victories, never once flinching or breaking - and for that, I name you Hellforged."

For a moment there was only silence, but then the roar drowned out everything. Thousands of throats screamed out into the night, a chorus of stomping feet and blades striking shields. Hellforged, Azaersi thought, letting the sea of noise wash over her. It was a fitting name - and soon enough they would truly put it to the test.

Spoiler: To the Nations of Rivaness
    Show
    Dear confederates of our bright continent,

The Ironfang goblins are happy to accept any locale for the continuation of our talks. Brother Kraelos was very intrigued by the discussion last time, and has expressed a desire to continue to attend in my stead for as long as we are holding these meetings.

Best regards,

Spoiler: To Silvermist
    Show
    To Captain Goldfinger and the double-dealers extraordinaire,

I must confess that I find myself disappointed. There used to be a time in a goblin's life when such backstabbing was not only expected, but awaited. And yet, the Republic has professed to move beyond such mores. We live in an era of accords and alliances now, and as such it would be more inconvenient for me to wage war on you than it would to simply pretend as though you did not exist. All the same... I want you to know that if the choice had been up to me alone, I would be delivering this message in person.

As of this moment, the Ironfang Republic severs all diplomatic and economic ties with the nation known as Silvermist. We are not at war, but you will no longer benefit from any non-aggression or non-interference agreements from us. Furthermore, we have encouraged all of our allies to avoid dealing with you at all costs. Unless reparation can be made for the loss of over 1000 goblin soldiers, there can be no truce between goblin and adventurer.

- General Azaersi

Show
    Pretty much exactly what I said in the IC blurb! Only I as a player want you to know that I hold no rancor for what you did - this is all RP for me. This has actually made for some fun scene writing, so thank you.

Spoiler: To the Templars of the Burning Saviour
    Show
    Dearest knights of the flame,

We have watched your arrival on these shores with some interest. The Ironfang Republic has something of a name when it comes to forging alliances in the east, and your coastal conquest has taken several of our advisors by surprise. Although we know little of your religion, the goblins of Oprak are hoping to inquire as to your current loyalties, and whether you might be amenable to a pact of non-aggression. Our Republic does not believe in conflict as a first response to every possible threat, and we certainly do not believe in alienating possible allies before terms can be negotiated.

I hope that your faithful can see the boons that an alliance with our Republic would bring. We have many friends, and would be delighted to count your people among them.

Best regards,

Show
    I am proposing more or less exactly what was stated in the message: an agreement of non-aggression and non-interference, where we each expand and deal with our other enemies, leaving each other alone.

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal
    Show
    To the Tyrant of the Broken Shore,

The Republic does not flee its enemies, nor does it renege on a contract when undertaken. We may no longer have the manpower or the infrastructure to defend your civilians from fiendish hordes in the field, but you and I are not alone in this fight. I have just sent a rider to the Brotherhood with our reply to the address which was given to us at your capital - the new First Ironfang Legion will not stop until we have eradicated all traces of them from Hanrui. We will fight them with fire and steel and magic until they are memories.

I am told that back home, our highest acolyte is preparing a missive to all of the nations of the world. In this message, he will call for solidarity and public declarations of allegiance against the Brotherhood. The Republic would ask that you join us in this fight; make your attitude known to the world, and we will proudly stand by your side until the end of this war.

- General Azaersi

Spoiler: To the Brotherhood of Sin
    Show
    The message is not written on a scroll. Instead, a single veteran Blade-Peer rides into the ruins of Khasal to where the diabolic host has converged. He carries with him a bag that he spills at the feet of the army - within are half a score of horned skulls, taken as trophies from the battle.

Carved into the sides of each skull is written the words: 'We accept'.

Show
    As of this instant, the Ironfang Republic is declaring war on the Brotherhood of Sin.

Spoiler: To All
    Show
    The Hymns of Hadregash are alive again,
    listen for they have been sounded in all places high and low.

Ever since arriving on Hanrui, the Ironfang Republic has strived to uphold peace and prosperity between all of its resident nations. We believe that monsters do not belong in this world. As such, we have just declared a retributive war on the Brotherhood of Sin. Any nation that desires to aid us eliminate this foe will receive our gratitude and our fealty. While we cannot offer much in the way of immediate recompense, favors and other rewards will happily be traded after the fiends have been ground into dust.

If you would like to join the fight against these fiends, all the Republic asks is that you state your desire to do so publicly, as we have. Only united can we stand against such a foe. For any more particular requests, reach out to the office of Secretary General Bruthazmus in Oprak.

Brother Kraelos, High Priest of Jang and Kherak
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-01-07 at 11:12 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: To the Ironfang Republic (MOR 6)
    Show

To the most esteemed Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued,

your inquiry is understandable and wise. Know that our allegiance lies with Our Burning Saviour and Our Burning Saviour alone, and that His Templars' further loyalties have not yet been decided on, due to Our but recent arrival. Know further that His Templars do not strife for 'current' loyalties, but for lasting bonds, for only there lies strength, as is told by the Word of Our Burning Saviour.

We agree there is nothing to gain from conflict between us, and we believe it to be counter-productive to the Crusade's mission on Cursed Hanrui.

Consider the Pact sealed, with the Authority of the High Master Aeth of House Veaneth, Representative in Hanrui of the Grand Master of the Knights of the Holy Temple of Our Burning Saviour and the City of Golden Flames.

We wish you fortune in what you seek in cursed Hanrui, but be warned, for it is the land of false prophecy, and its wonders are fleeting.

Glory to the Flame,
    Vestis of House Ionlar, High Priestess of the Cult of Our Burning Saviour

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal (MOR 6)
    Show

To the most esteemed Intrepid Atena Nalar, Ruby-Eyed and Ruin-Seeker, Cartographer of the Perfected Map, Elected Captain of Khasal-in-Quepta,

Theologically speaking, what some call hell is vastly less hot and flaming than being one with Our Saviour, thus it is a disgraceful imitation of what some call heaven; it does not scare us.
    We will not hold their plane of origin against anyone. Still, as we are told, they are a barbaric horde, former slaves, uncivilized and unpredictable, thus a threat to all honourable nations.

Know that His Templars are no mercenaries, but open to bonds of mutual support. There are specifics to discuss.

Glory to the Flame,
    Vestis of House Ionlar, High Priestess of the Cult of Our Burning Saviour

To the Astral Collective - The Holy One's Choice

To the Astral Collective, there was no message brought. Instead, pilgrims left from the lands of the Templars, taking a red-sailed ship to the Freeport of Vallenor, and made the long and dangerous journey to the Spearhead pass.
    They were led by a preacher, an Oracai clad in blood-red robes, bearing the burn marks of the Faithful on head and beak, and with him a unit of Sariant Soldiers, simple pilgrims of many species, and dark elf slaves clad in purple silk.

"I come with the Blessing of the High Master of the Templars of Our Burning Saviour;" he spoke, once a meeting had been arranged with an official of the Astral Collective.
    "We have heard that Holy Pyresoul's Heir has chosen to align with the Astral Collective. We have come to pay Zeilrae the Magnificent our respects, bearing offerings of gifts,
    prayers and servants for the Blessed One's service or consumption. We would also like to offer you our hand in friendship, as we will not doubt the Heir's wisdom."
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-01-07 at 12:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Morale 7

Spoiler: The Templar’s of the Burning Savior
    Show

Scavenger-Biomass. Do not come here.

Show

So ordinarily I’d just declare war on you and be done with it but two suns seems a bit hefty in terms of a meal for my faction, especially with the Shemesh’s bloat. What I propose:

- Space 12 is yours if you allow me space 60.
    - You go southeast, I go northwest.

Any response other than an affirmative will net you the same declaration of I made on everyone else already.

“Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Free People of Khasal

Reputation 3
    All Messages Essentially Public

The Broken Shore-the craggy and shoal-filled stretch of coast to the North of Khasal-was neither peaceful nor especially welcoming, full of hills and ravines and orcish clans which had only reluctantly accepted citizenship after copious bribes and no few threats. It was, then, a rather awkward place to lay out unplanned refugee camps, let alone a place to organize the battered remnants of the Free Companies and mercenaries who had been ambushed and overwhelmed by the legions of Hell and their gnomish collaborators.

Still, it would have to do. And so thousands upon thousands of shivering, traumatized, starving and diseased filled the region’s largest valley, the crowd flowing up both slopes and visible on every decent perch higher up, the luckier of them floating in the air on their own power of through some contrivance they had saved from the sack.

Unity wouldn’t last, of course-half of them would be gone by the end of the night, probably never seen again. But on this matter in particular, there was no question as to the will of the people.

Floating on a glittering and delicate platform of conjured glass, the Magnificent Vyas Asraya, self-proclaimed Tyrant of the Broken Shore, spoke with a booming, echoing voice.

”My People! We have reached a crossroads. General Azaersi, the goblin to whom so many of you owe your lives, has sworn her republic will see these devils sent back unto the hell from which they came. She asks that we join her!”

There was cheering now, screams of grief and cries for vengeance.

”But the die is not yet cast! The baronet of Hell who rules the Ashen Steppe may yet accept willing slaves. The Princes of the world may yet tolerate you, should you accept the righteousness of their crowns. The winter wind will surely welcome as its own, blown across the sea and marked by the world while changing nothing in return. Would the People choose surrender and defeat?

Booing now, vulgar oaths and angry schemes, exactly as expected.

”No? Then let us make this official. I declare that I will not rest until the devil Izoran is bound in chains of silver and iron, his essence flayed and burnt until what remains is drowned in the River Styx! Until all who stand with him are sent screaming into the pits of hellfire and freezing voids where they so clearly belong! Until the City is rebuilt such that its former glory seems like nothing but a poor imitation! Do the people stand with me?”

The full-throated, wordless cheering lasted until voices failed and grew hoarse.

Spoiler: All
    Show

As a matter of pure formality, allow me to clear up any possible misunderstanding or confusion, and hopefully avoid any unnecessary unpleasantness.

The People of Khasal consider themselves to be in a state of total and unlimited war with the Brotherhood of Sin, and any who, from this moment forward, stand in their defence.

Best regards,

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic
    Show

To the Heroic General Azaersi,

That should see to the formalities, and I eagerly await to march by your side.

The tent from which I write is barely secure against the wind, let alone clever spirits. So I will leave the planning and initiative to you-what response do you envision, and what do you need?

-The Magnificent Vyas Asrays, Maestro of Falling Stars, Tyrant of the Broken Shore
    Last edited by St.Just; 2020-01-07 at 02:31 PM.
    The world was born in flame and art,
    The world was born – then torn apart.
    Creation’s sorrow rent the sky
    T​o know all things would cool and die​.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Source: https://www.posterlounge.de/p/336224.html

Theocracy of Shemesh

We weep
    Tears evaporate
    Light broken
    A rainbow illuminates

Shemesh weeps
    Rays of Light
    Burning an impression
    Everlasting

Public message to the Free People of Khasal

A dishoveled male pilgrim comes, bringing forth his message. “Greetings. I am Senmese from the Theocracy of Shemesh. The Light shines. Shemesh is with me. Shemesh is visible to all!”

“Thank you! Your people helped us, helped against the Darkness, helped spread the word what horrors lie ahead. You know, you know. You know! The dread of darkness. They bring back their word. They, let Light wash it away. Light will prevail against Darkness! Light, yes, Shemesh, thank you, thanks. Thanks from the Theocracy! Thanks from me. Thanks!”

The pilgrim falls on his knees, giving prayer upwards to Shemesh, to the Light, eventually drifting off to sleep.

Public message to Silvermist

A tattered female pilgrim comes, bringing forth he rmessage. “Greetings. I am Abaren from the Theocracy of Shemesh. I have walked over the sands. So much sand. So much sand. Then weird green things. Rocks! Then rocks, yes, rocks. All in the Light! The Light of Shemesh. My path, illuminated!”

“Thank you! So much cheer. Gnomes and cheer. Minstrels! Bouncy gnomes. They saw it, they knew it, they cheered at the Darkness and it shriveled! You know the horror! The dread! They know. They song of it! So grim. So much not joy. Away joy! Still, there is Light. Shemesh is radiant. The Darkness is horror! The minstrels told all! They know. Thanks! Thanks from me, the Theocracy, yes, thank you!”

The pilgrim falls on her back, raising her hands in prayer to the Light, the sands, the heat, to Shemesh, until she drifts off to sleep.

Public message to the Ironfang Republic

A ragged male pilgrim comes, bringing forth his message. “Greetings. I am Neshotpe from the Theocracy of Shemesh. The Light fights against Darkness! Radiant, ever radiant is Shemesh. Darkness will vanish, but the Night! The Night Looms! The Legion of Night!”

“Oh, sorry, I mean. You, you were asking for something. Where am I?”
    The pilgrim looks at the goblinoid before him. “Oh, right, right! You’re the the, yes, that. Swordteeth! No. Warfang! Yes. Ironfang! Nnnyes! You want war! Help! Join! We you join! Sorry. Sorry.”

“Who did you.. war who? Hmm… no matter! Shemesh, Theocracy, wars Darkness! No can join. Not me, not the Theocracy. Night looms! Shemesh, may Shemesh light, Illuminate! Away darkness, away, away!”
    The pilgrim tries to move towards someplace with a lot of light, like outside in the day or otherwise a torch, saying a prayer to Shemesh, then slumps against the nearest wall, falling asleep.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-07 at 02:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

RogueGuy

Silvermist

Spoiler: Silvermist; it's a picture so feel free to open!
    Show

The Hammer Brothers stood before Captain Goldfinder. “Don’t need no gnome. Ain’t got no use if it ain’t no smash.” The goliaths’ HighRock speech grated on Goldfinder’s ears.

“They will help you know, ‘What needs smashing and where.’ So you will take one.” The Dwarven warhammers were a vast improvement to the older arms. And the training had hardened the pair. WIth luck, this venture would play out.

“I does yes like little gnomes.” Ruthric Hammer punched his brother in the face. Goldfinder leaned away from them. Gorthac Hammer rolled his eyes.

“We yes take little pesky gnome.”

Captain Goldfinder blinked twice. “Oh… okay then. Very good! Very yes good.” He smiled and snapped his fingers. A few moments later a smiling gnome appeared. Goldfinder tossed them a bag of coins. “You have much to do. Get to it.”

Deep under the cursed hills, the mist still flowed heavily. The adventurers crept slowly in the dark passageways. The dwarven ranger walked quietly. The sound of the gnome trailing him was the only noise. Around the corner he peered in and saw them. They looked like statues all squatted and huddled over. He held his hand out and flashed five fingers. A few moments later the gnome tapped him twice. He tapped the gnome back twice while keeping his eyes on the figures in front of him. He readied his crossbow and waited for the rest of the party to catch up.

The Gnomes surrounded the fallen Abaren. “Water. Cool off the fever. Strip and bathe her. Get that sand out of them. Then bring some troll meat. Cook it up nice, they’ve probably got a long journey back. Shame there’s no Kracken, that’d get them right as rain.”

Spoiler: Church of the Voice and Truth Seeker: Mor 0
    Show
    A smiling gnome appears to the people of The Church. It does not move it’s mouth and speaks into the minds of those that come for it. “We understand your disappointment with the decisions that have been made by Silvermist to enact our will upon the world. We are disappointed in hearing that instead of defeating the rampaging kraken, you dropped it onto an unprotected city. You’re god has not commanded you to care for innocents of other nations.”

“Speaking of Innocent Nations. Your Theology has left you to allow the Legion of Balance to march right into the Shemesh and watch them fall. Do you think your actions are any different than ours? Does standing by and watching the fall of a country leave any difference in the end than attacking that country itself? Moan and groan all you want, but I have seen no declarations of any kind from you except this one we hear now. For all our knowledge, we were helping you. What likeness do you have with a City that will never accept a God? At least Devils and Demons understand Worship. So, cut ties and denounce us. You cared not in the first place.

To quote your diplomat Khal, “Non aggression means peace. It's not what I wanted.”

Spoiler: The Astral Collective: Mor 0
    Show
    Lay to rest your falsehoods. Your conditions was reparation and payment. We denounced devils and demons as warmongers and conquerors. If you truly saw the Brotherhood of Sin as an enemy, you would have marched on them since they arrived. You have not. Despite your words that you aren’t mercenaries, you sold your services. Not only that, you offered to charge us for you to attack someone that you declared your enemy. You want us to pay to attack someone that you have made me declare to be an enemy just to interact with you.

We had a quid pro quo arrangement, that you changed, and I have done nothing to break your trust besides that you keep trying to implement your will through subtle and devious tactics. If you didn’t want us to fight Khasal, you could have said that.

You did not agree to the non aggression pact, same as I, because you didn’t trust some of the factions. I still trust none of them. I offered to join more solid alliances, and none of them would agree to that. None sent messages to us to combine our nations. I have been obvious in my intent. You still fail to see it.

Spoiler: Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn: Mor 0
    Show
    Honoring our agreement makes us liars and untrustworthy? Do you know how sand is made? If you have rules of engagement that you believe are necessary throughout all of these lands, then please, share them. But as of now, there are no written rules of engagement, and we have broken none.

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic: Mor 0
    Show
    There is no sympathy for mercenaries who hire themselves off to the highest bidder. If you had stuck to our original agreement, things would be very different. I don’t blame you for siding with the Free City. I myself understand the joys of wealth. When My son Grock came to you, he offered to support an alliance between any of the countries there. You were the most hopeful prospect, but even the great Republic did not seek a solid alliance. We have seen no declarations of Alliance from you to anyone. We are not part of the non aggression pact.

Mercenaries will learn to not always fight for the most reward, but will take into consideration their use in the conflicts that they will be in. Your soldiers fought valiantly and we would have loved to have had them on our side. Even if that side was against the Brotherhood of Sin, they would have been exquisite. If you wish no more contact with us, that is your decision and grudge to hold. One day you will learn that battles and wars are very different.
    Last edited by LimSindull; 2020-01-07 at 05:32 PM.
    Bastilonis

29. - Top - End - #119

Khal leaned back in his chair and stared at the angels across from him. The three who’d come here forged in battle, Dawn, Myra and Sylas, had always voted aligned on issues. They had wanted to fly across the strait and go to battle as soon as they realized that they were on the wrong part of Hanrui for that sort of thing.

‘Every person is a follower of the Voice’ Sylas would say, ‘and each one who dies in conflict with evil is another ear not following the Voice. If we stop the evil earlier then there are more followers for the church.’

Dawn and Myra would agree and start the conversation of war planning before the voting had evil begun.

Once voting happened, Hybert, Jeleva and Khal himself would vote to strengthen the church as it was before marching or flying to war. With the decision stalemated, the decision would be to listen for the voice until it made a rallying cry about which side needed to be taken in a conflict.

The system was rudimentary, and was really just in place to make sure that the Voice has time to make a decision, but today was different.

Today, Hybert and Jeleva had put their ballot in for the vote of war. The Voice hadn’t been speaking words of peace and caution to them, but words of change.

Khal sighed at the rest of the table and nodded. Had the voice spoken up in that moment and told him to stand against them, he would have fought five angels he stood no chance of beating, but today the Voice stayed quiet, a sign that they were on the right path.

“It’s settled then,” Dawn confirmed. She’d been given the status of highest of the Grand Speakers in Hanrui since her experience with the Voice and the power she’d gained after it, “Right Sylas?” She asked.

Sylas nodded.

Jeleva nodded along with Sylas, her silver blindfold bouncing up and down with her head. “Awaiting project consensus,” said reminded them, “be resources and training prepared.”

“I just hope we get to do something else with our spell casting,” Hybert cut in, “I know there is direct benefit to raising angels and maintaining infrastructure but it honestly feels rather bored overall. A bit of creativity would be-“

“Excessive considering the circumstances,” Jeleva took back her place in the conversation, “if we have not achieved consensus then preparations shall continue,” she said. The spell weaver pushed away from the table and left the room, Hybert followed; they left the military leaders and the banker in the room together.

“You seem troubled brother,” Lyra cut into the silence with her church-bell voice. “Tell me what you’re hearing.”

“Of demons and war?” Khal asked, “very little. Nothing but the slightest whisper. Of the money we spent on tribute and establishing an economy here to be non-reliant on the old worlds? Constant chatter.”

“I don’t think that’s the Voice, Khal,” Sylas pointed out, “she’s never considered the different continents of the church to be separate. We have the support we need.”

“Does that soothe your worry brother?” Lyra asked.

“Partially,” Khal shrugged.

“So what battles are we investing ourselves in today?” She asked the room only to find most of them waiting for her to answer that question. “Sylas?” She passed the question along.

“The Brother hood cannot be allowed to stand. The Myconids cannot be allowed to stand. The Legion of Balance cannot be allowed to-“

“Stand?” Khal suggested.

“The Myconids have not done anything toward our brothers and sisters since they declared their war Brother,” Lyra added, “I am not sure peace is possible with them but right now they are not an active participant in wartime.”

“Of all the wars we could be involved in,” Khal said, “why are we questioning the one that declared war on us as soon as we tried to make contact?”

“We don’t have the legions for an assault on too many fronts,” Dawn said, “we can’t afford to spread our angels too far.”

“You preaching caution?” Sylas asked, “I didn’t think I would see the day. I agree with Dawn,” Sylas crosses his arms like that was the only point to make and Dawn beamed at the approval.

The conversation was about to continue, logistics were about the be discussed. All of the angels in the room, and the entire chorus of the church stopped.

In unison the church shouted: “Salvation.”

Heralds dot the skies in the coming days, they carry a short set of messages.

We can no longer allow Sin to prosper and tempt the potential members of the Church. The Church of the Truth Speaker joins their friends in the Ironfang Republic in declaring war on the Brotherhood of Sin. This shall be known as the Second Holy War of Hanrui.

The Church of the Truth Seeker warns the forces of the Legion if Balance that their beliefs are unsustainable and their actions unforgivable. Those found to be communicating with the Legion of Balance without explanation will be judged by the Church. The Church additionally commits to aid the Theocracy of Shemesh in their battle against the Legion on top of maintaining their war with the Legion

The Nations of the World have a choice to make! Denounce the actions and nation of Silvermist for their actions against the free city and be welcomed into the loving arms of the Church. Join our economic sanction of Silvermist or you will be added to the other side of it. Nations aligned with our beliefs should be as stalwart as we are and offer the same choice to nations.

OOC: If you do not Denounce Silvermist and cease trade at minimum, you are choosing to cease trade with the Church of the Truth Speaker. This is not a declaration of war. Yet.

Spoiler: MOR 0: Silvermist
    Show

"Do not speak of the Legion of Balance like they are a peaceful nation. They are committing heinous acts against the Theocracy and we responded in kind. Do not take our distance from the conflict and our lack of free aid to Shemesh to mean that they are not our enemies. We," the angel delivering the message pulls her blade out from her scabbard, "are not the same. You want war for the sake of your own gain."

"We don't want peace because it would involve letting evil live."

The angel stows her blade and takes a deep breath. "We are not at war yet Silvermist, continue to deny the evil of your actions and we will show you how harsh the Voice can sound."

To Shemesh:

The Dawn Will Come. We Join You.

In order to join the united front against the Legion of Balance the Church is placing Sovereign claim over [4]

30. - Top - End - #120

The Astral Collective

Reputation 6

Spoiler: To Silvermist: Morale 0 (Public)
    Show

The letter is hand-delivered to Captain Goldfinder himself. Over the following days, each other nation – from the castle of the City of Wraiths to the temples of the Theocracy of Shemesh – finds itself with a singular copy, almost by design.

We find it amusing that you speak of falsehoods, considering that you publicly denounced the Brotherhood of Sin with one breath and allied with them the next. The hypocrisy is astounding.

While we are discussing falsehoods, however, let us put one to rest. We did not sell you our resources. We offered to strike at the Brotherhood of Sin last season – despite being unprepared for such an assault – in exchange for equal repayment over time. We would not have profited off such an arrangement. We would have preferred to bide our time before striking, but we were moved by your plight and by Grock’s words.

You declined this. In retrospect, the duplicity to come was as clear as day. You asked us first to strike at Khasal in a fit of petulant rage – which we declined – and then subsequently asked for our help in increasing your capacity for subtle influence. We were happy to do so, with only one condition – that the training we provided you be used to eliminate the Brotherhood of Sin. That you would contribute to their destruction. Your words were as follows:

“I will bring ruin to the Brotherhood of Sin in my actions. I have tried from the beginning to not sit idly by and to rally others to action. I apologize for my failures. If your words had reached my ears a moment sooner, I feel that a combined effort between myself and the Free Cities would be underway at this very moment. That is my fault. I look forward to striking the Brotherhood of Sin with your help.”

How dare you accuse us of falsehoods. How dare you say that you have done nothing to break our trust. You pledged to bring ruin to them, and within the same season led them over a mountain range to pillage Khasul. You have provided direct assistance to the legions of hell. You have grievously violated the spirit of our agreement, if not the letter itself.

We give you one chance to make this right. We cannot trust your word, not now, so we would take back our investment immediately. If you acted with pure intentions, this should be a small price to pay to restore your name and honour. Provide us with the [2 ESP] that you developed with our assistance, and we will cease relations – not amicably, but with no hostility. We will not deal with you further, but we will retract our words and leave you in peace.

Or do not, and show the world how none can trust the adventurers of Silvermist. That your word is worth nothing. That you are no better than the devils and demons with whom you consort. That you would intentionally deceive the ones who offered you aid against great evil.

We know what Grock would do, were he in your place. We only hope his father is his equal.

The Council of Speakers of the Astral Collective

Spoiler: To Khasal: Morale 11
    Show

The letter is delivered by Kalira herself, who nods to the somehow still immaculately dressed steward before melting away into the shadows.

Greetings, Corin. I am saddened to hear of what has transpired in your city. So many… well, innocents may not be the right word, but they did not deserve what transpired.

I will bring your proposal to the Council, but I already know what they will say – the Astral Collective is unwilling to provide you with direct assistance at this time. To be honest, I agree with them. I understand desperation, but what you did to your own citizens… well. It is enough to turn the strongest stomachs.

All I can say is that perhaps our objectives will align. Any more than that is, unfortunately, out of the question.

I enjoy our little chats. I hope you survive the coming months. Truly.

Kalira, Spymistress of the Astral Collective

To the Templars of Our Burning Saviour:
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I don't have the time to write up a response right now, unfortunately but I hope to tomorrow :)
    Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2020-01-07 at 11:47 PM.
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony