New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Magic Resistance vs Detection spells

In 2E AD&D, do creatures with magic resistance get to test it against detection spells that would detect them? Things like Locate <insert creature type here>?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Resistance vs Detection spells

For me, DM call. I've never had it come up at table, though.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

For me, absolutely. Why would MR work against, say Evocation magic, but not Divination?

It's been a while so I don't recall how MR works in 2e. In 1e, it's adjusted by the level of the caster against an assumed level (8th level?). So if you have MR 50%, you have 55% against a 7th level caster and 45% against a 9th level caster (this is all assuming 8th level is the right baseline... it's in the MM).

Does 2e do this or is it a flat MR against everything, all levels?
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    For me, absolutely. Why would MR work against, say Evocation magic, but not Divination?

It's been a while so I don't recall how MR works in 2e. In 1e, it's adjusted by the level of the caster against an assumed level (8th level?). So if you have MR 50%, you have 55% against a 7th level caster and 45% against a 9th level caster (this is all assuming 8th level is the right baseline... it's in the MM).

2E is a flat chance, modified only by things that explicitly say they affect it. Caster level doesn't play a role.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post

It is based on 11th level not 8th.

(For further confustion, when the 'loths were introduced - later the yugoloths - they had MR ad different levels for different spell levels - each level over 1st having 5% less MR.)

Back to the OP and I would say it depends on what the divination spell is doing. I think for a locate X spell it makes sense to allow MR to apply, but for a see invisible it does not - one acts on the creature, one on the caster.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Back to the OP and I would say it depends on what the divination spell is doing. I think for a locate X spell it makes sense to allow MR to apply, but for a see invisible it does not - one acts on the creature, one on the caster.
    Yeah, that's kind of how I read it as well. So any magic item that lets you Locate Dragons shouldn't be trusted to give you an accurate reading, since almost all dragons have some amount of magic resistance. If it says there is one near by, believe it! But if it doesn't, you may want to keep your guard up anyway.