New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Strange car/math question

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Friction within the engine, that is. If the car is travelling at a constant speed on level ground, all of the engine power is being lost in friction (air resistance, rolling resistance, friction internal to the engine and other frictions).
    None of which are going to contribute toward the engine warming up to operating temperature.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    None of which are going to contribute toward the engine warming up to operating temperature.
    Not directly, but ammount of heat produced by the engine (no even from friction) depends directly on the needed power output. Said power output is defined exactly by acceleration, vertical speed and external friction contributions.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Do cars even use spill heat off engineblock nowadays?

I just get the feeling a modern car would want to separate the AC system entirely. Just so there's less stuff being piped around.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Friction within the engine, that is. If the car is travelling at a constant speed on level ground, all of the engine power is being lost in friction (air resistance, rolling resistance, friction internal to the engine and other frictions).
    All of the work generated by the engine is. The bulk of the power is still lost to heat; the best automotive engine in the world is still less than 50% efficient. Power plants can get above that, but the things that let them do that (stupidly high operating temperatures, mostly) don't transfer well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.