Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Spoilers Ahoy!]

Just saw it...

And I loved it!! Really!!

Spoiler: Rey
    Show
    Yes, I can understand the frustrations of people who wanted Rey to have no heritage at all - but the underlying point of that was that heritage doesn't have to define one's destiny or ability. There was no prophecy dictating her every move - if anything, Palpatine fully expected her to give into her bloodline and become either his host or something just as bad as he was if not worse, which she resisted. Besides, my objection to the idea was more around her not being yet another bloody Skywalker or Kenobi, which she wasn't.

And yes, she becomes a Skywalker at the end - by having been adopted by them, once again proving the main thesis of the trilogy, that blood ties are less important than choice. (Luke flat out states this thesis to her on Crait, just in case the audience is really slow on the uptake.)

So was the Force Awakening diluted then? Not at all - that played a major role in the plot too. All those Stormtroopers like Finn and newcomer Jannah who inexplicably threw off their murderous conditioning? Force-sensitive, the lot of them, so we got a massive new generation of potential Jedi without any of them having to trace their bloodlines or get midichlorian counts.

And it wrapped up a lot of what people had been decrying as "plot holes" in the previous films and trailer too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snoke's origin? Palpatine made him, purely as a stopgap to rattle the galaxy until his daughter inevitably showed up, and handed him all the Empire's old toys as part of the First Order (great play on words there Palps) to get the ball rolling. Snoke running the show despite his clear incompetence thus makes perfect sense.

Leia being able to train Rey? Luke was training her, right up until her visions gave her pause and kept her from finishing. Also explains how she was able to use the Force to save herself in TLJ.

Palpatine's return? Like any truly badass evil overlord, he never left. And the heroes found a way to deal with him that didn't trigger his I'll-possess-you-if-you-kill-me horcrux either.

Luke hiding out on Crait instead of helping the Resistance? As a Skywalker himself, he was just as susceptible to the Emperor's scheme as Rey if not moreso, and staying connected to the Force would have eventually lead him to Exegol just as she was, which would have allowed Palpatine to possess him and subjugate the galaxy for good.

Rey's abilities? Well we got a clear explanation for those now, but also showed the sheer danger in her using them without training - and not just any training, but people who cared about her, because for her especially the dark side was a finger away.

My two biggest disappointments were:

Spoiler
    Show
    Rose Tico - had nothing to do, like at all.

Phasma - Utterly wasted.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-12-21 at 02:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

It had its flaws but it was the best of the new trilogy.

Where the force awakens was a movie that left you feeling - 'that was good' until you thought about it, and the last jedi was just garbage this movie had obvious flaws throughout but thinking about them afterwards doesn't really annoy you too much.

This is likely helped by my very very low expectations going into it.

Spoiler: Most Annoying Thing
    Show

Teleporting items with the force.

Spoiler: Best Thing
    Show

Palpatine.

To elaborate on this - this trilogy had been missing anyone that could be considered a decent villain (which all the other movies had: Tarkin, Vader, Palpatine, Maul/Palpatine, Dooku/Palpatine, Palpatine).
    Kelo Ren and Snoke never had the gravitas for that role.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2019-12-21 at 04:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Objectively a terrible film with very little to reccomend it. Lightsaber battles were by far the worst of the 11 movies. Dialogue was pathetically bad to the point I'm surprised that the actors were convinced to say it. Maybe the most fun space stuff happening out of any star wars which is probably a good portion of why I loved it.

Big step down from the last jedi that was one of the best star wars ever. Maybe JJ should have worked with the trilogy he had not the trilogy he wanted since he did a bad job with it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Phasma - Utterly wasted.
    By not being in the movie, because she died in TLJ, you mean? I'm not sure what your complaint is here.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Makes some sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    So maybe the ISDs are too big to get out without the special broadcast thing, but the Rebel's don't need it because they're smaller, or else the Falcon was broadcasting the path or something. I'll take it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Those aren't actually ISDs, they're their own class of ship. For some reason. Honestly the PlanetKilla Fleet is pretty stupid. Like, why would you have Starkiller base when these apparently exist? For gods sake Legends made fun of Authors constantly making new super weapons, why would you follow that path?

Ya, read the spoilers and went "No thank you" maybe I'll watch it later when its either free or for little but Im not giving Disney money for this unplanned mess of a trilogy.

Cuz if this trilogy has taught us anything, you need a plan, at least a basic one

Spoiler
    Show

Palpatine's return? Like any truly badass evil overlord, he never left. And the heroes found a way to deal with him that didn't trigger his I'll-possess-you-if-you-kill-me horcrux either.

Rey's abilities? Well we got a clear explanation for those now, but also showed the sheer danger in her using them without training - and not just any training, but people who cared about her, because for her especially the dark side was a finger away.
    Spoiler
    Show

I mean if you want to ignore the fact that him still being alive (and not a possessive Force Ghost like in Dark Empire) invalidates Anakin's entire story as he never actually did wind up completing his Destiny. SO ya, all of that was a whole lot of nothing now. Great.

And I'd care more about Rey having downsides to using the Force if we got more than one movie with said downsides. I always thought that having her be unable to turn it down below 9/10 on the power scale would have been interesting.... if there had been some training with Luke.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2019-12-21 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    By not being in the movie, because she died in TLJ, you mean? I'm not sure what your complaint is here.
    No, you got it:

Spoiler
    Show
    My complaint is that I (and apparently many other fans) was/were hoping she hadn't actually died. Given her abrupt and unceremonious sendoff, it begs the question of why they bothered with Gwendoline Christie in the first place. She might as well have been just CGI, or had no dialogue for all the difference it made.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Spoiler: Most Annoying Thing
    Show

Teleporting items with the force.
    To be fair this seemed very specific to the two of them. Though now that they've introduced it, we'll probably see it elsewhere. Force-Thieves?

Spoiler
    Show
    Palpatine exploting their connection, and calling them a dyad was very interesting to me. Were they born at the exact same time? Makes you wonder how Palps pulled that off.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-12-21 at 11:59 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Palpatine exploiting their connection, and calling them a dyad was very interesting to me. Were they born at the exact same time? Makes you wonder how Palps pulled that off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He quite specifically pointed it out when he identified Rey's healing touch force-power. She "shared her life force" with Ben and that permanently linked them together - that's why Sidious could steal Ben's energy as well as hers, despite there being no direct link between Sidious/Ben.

Which leaves some rather weird implications about Rey and the giant snake, who presumably now has force powers of its own, too.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

No, you got it:

Spoiler
    Show
    My complaint is that I (and apparently many other fans) was/were hoping she hadn't actually died. Given her abrupt and unceremonious sendoff, it begs the question of why they bothered with Gwendoline Christie in the first place. She might as well have been just CGI, or had no dialogue for all the difference it made.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think pretty much everyone was annoyed on some level with Phasma as she did less than Boba (who at least transported Han to Jabba as well as tracked the Falcon to Cloud City in the first place) Phasma just sort of... was there. I mean, she's some sort of Storm Trooper Commander in TFA, and she has a decent looking fight in TLJ, but she doesn't actually do anything and she's hyped up more than Boba was.

Boba got popular because people thought he looked awesome. Phasma had a bit of that too (I wasn't really a fan of super shiny metallic Storm Trooper armor, but she was visually distinct) but they made her out to be more important than she ever actually was and it went nowhere.

So ya, would have been nice to do something, but they just wasted a character and the actor's time.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Given her abrupt and unceremonious sendoff, it begs the question of why they bothered with Gwendoline Christie in the first place.
    Spoiler: I have thoughts on that part
    Show
    So I honestly think J. J. Abrams doesn't really know how to make a movie; most of my complaints about the TROS are the same complaints I have about most Abrams movies I've seen, and to riff on Kevin Smith's Superman Lives story (and to be obviously hyperbolic), it's like he just keeps failing upwards. He got a big name actor in this fancy unique costume and they hype her up and then she just kind of fizzled.

I also really wanted her back in this movie, because she "died" on Starkiller Base but somehow didn't die, so when she "died" on the Supermacy, I was hoping for another "really didn't die, and she's back now, to die yet again!" That would have been kind of fun, IMO.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-21 at 12:45 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

The thing about Phasma

Spoiler
    Show
    Is I don't really know where else they could have gone with the character. During 7 Finn already confronted her, and didn't just beat her he ridiculed her. While the whole "who's in charge? I'm in charge!" lines were pretty bad, once they're out Phasma no longer has her mystique of power. This is enforced when she is the one that betrays the First Order and turns off the other other Death Star's shields. And then throw her in a garbage chute. That's not how you establish a villain to be feared. That's setting up The First Order to be a kind of a joke. After that point, if they wanted to do something with her they'd have to either spend time developing her as a character or make her a running gag. In the "Let's see how Finn kicks her ass this time!" kinda way.

Her defeat in 8 is, I think unique, in that it is one of the few things about the First Order that wasn't ridiculed, despite her being the first thing about the order that was ridiculous in the last movie (well second thing. Abrams threw a few jokes Kylo's way about him being a whiny bitch. The Troopers turning around and calmly walking away when he has a tantrum is probably the best thing in that movie).

And honestly, this last movie was cluttered enough without throwing in another bit villain with no real motivation, scant personal stakes, and no remaining threat to her. This movie was about getting rid of that in the quickest way possible. Kylo quickly got overshadowed by Palpy as the villain. The First Order leadership gets replaced by Imperial Officers who are supposedly more competent, but honestly they don't actually do anything of real note.

I am amused, that thus far the most effective plans performed by the New Order and the Imperials in this last trilogy where: Destroying the Senate and their entire navy with the other other Death Star, a plan spearheaded by General Weasley. And figuring out a new way to follow the Rebels through hyperspace to run them out of fuel. Which was also General Weasley's plan.

Way to go ya Ginger Nazi, you were the most effective villain in the last three movies. And still no one could take you seriously.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I saw Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker early this morning and I'm going to tell you my thoughts on the movie.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Star Wars: The Rise Of The Skywalker
    Show
    So anyway I saw Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker today. This movie is the ninth and final instalment of the Star Wars movie franchise. It's about the surviving Resistance fighting against the First Order once again in their final epic battle. So many familiar friends and enemies appear in this movie. Also, Emperor Palpatine appears to be in this movie. He was alive. Also here's a shocker: Rey happened to be Emperor Palpatine granddaughter. The battle against Rey and Kylo Ren was legendary. She killed Kylo Ren but she heals him with her force powers. Try and Kylo Ren join forces to fight against Emperor Palpatine. He drains the life force out of both of them. Which was new in Star Wars. He forced throw Kylo Ren to the cliff. All the Jedi voices cheer Rey and she got back up and obliterated Emperor Palpatine for good. Which she sacrificed her life for the greater good. Kylo Ren survived and force heals Rey to revive her. She was revived and kiss Kylo Ren on the lips. It was the most romantic scene in Star Wars history. Then Kylo Ren sacrificed his life and disappears. The Resistance won the war. Rey returns to Tatooine and returns to Luke Skywalker old home to bury the two lightsabers with her force. Then the old woman asked her what your name. Rey said: "I'm Rey Skywalker." Making the movie come to the final end of the whole series. I really enjoy the whole movie. This is one of the best Star Wars movies I ever watched. I even like the romantic kiss of Rey and Kylo Ren. That was very romantic. This movie is definitely Oscar-worthy and should be nominated not only for special effects but for Best Pictures as well. I'll give this movie 5 out of 5 stars for a perfect movie.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Just dropping in to say the trailers are playing now, shows gonna start soon. Later tonight/tomorrow I'ma be active as hell in this thread, but right now I'm just damned excited! Always like the first time, seeing a new Star Wars. This is a wonderful feeling
    I am actually exited to read your review. I’m kinda overjoyed seeing you guys heap praise on the movie. I seem to have lost my “spark” with Star Wars. But it’s always nice seeing people who still find joy in these things that were so important to me once.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I saw Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker early this morning and I'm going to tell you my thoughts on the movie.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Star Wars: The Rise Of The Skywalker
    Show
    So anyway I saw Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker today. This movie is the ninth and final instalment of the Star Wars movie franchise. It's about the surviving Resistance fighting against the First Order once again in their final epic battle. So many familiar friends and enemies appear in this movie. Also, Emperor Palpatine appears to be in this movie. He was alive. Also here's a shocker: Rey happened to be Emperor Palpatine granddaughter. The battle against Rey and Kylo Ren was legendary. She killed Kylo Ren but she heals him with her force powers. Try and Kylo Ren join forces to fight against Emperor Palpatine. He drains the life force out of both of them. Which was new in Star Wars. He forced throw Kylo Ren to the cliff. All the Jedi voices cheer Rey and she got back up and obliterated Emperor Palpatine for good. Which she sacrificed her life for the greater good. Kylo Ren survived and force heals Rey to revive her. She was revived and kiss Kylo Ren on the lips. It was the most romantic scene in Star Wars history. Then Kylo Ren sacrificed his life and disappears. The Resistance won the war. Rey returns to Tatooine and returns to Luke Skywalker old home to bury the two lightsabers with her force. Then the old woman asked her what your name. Rey said: "I'm Rey Skywalker." Making the movie come to the final end of the whole series. I really enjoy the whole movie. This is one of the best Star Wars movies I ever watched. I even like the romantic kiss of Rey and Kylo Ren. That was very romantic. This movie is definitely Oscar-worthy and should be nominated not only for special effects but for Best Pictures as well. I'll give this movie 5 out of 5 stars for a perfect movie.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I am actually exited to read your review. I’m kinda overjoyed seeing you guys heap praise on the movie. I seem to have lost my “spark” with Star Wars. But it’s always nice seeing people who still find joy in these things that were so important to me once.
    Crazy busy at work today, I'll try to get an in-depth review later tonight.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    He quite specifically pointed it out when he identified Rey's healing touch force-power. She "shared her life force" with Ben and that permanently linked them together - that's why Sidious could steal Ben's energy as well as hers, despite there being no direct link between Sidious/Ben.

Which leaves some rather weird implications about Rey and the giant snake, who presumably now has force powers of its own, too.
    Uh... there was clearly a link well before she did that, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: I have thoughts on that part
    Show
    So I honestly think J. J. Abrams doesn't really know how to make a movie; most of my complaints about the TROS are the same complaints I have about most Abrams movies I've seen, and to riff on Kevin Smith's Superman Lives story (and to be obviously hyperbolic), it's like he just keeps failing upwards. He got a big name actor in this fancy unique costume and they hype her up and then she just kind of fizzled.

I also really wanted her back in this movie, because she "died" on Starkiller Base but somehow didn't die, so when she "died" on the Supermacy, I was hoping for another "really didn't die, and she's back now, to die yet again!" That would have been kind of fun, IMO.
    Exactly. Colossal waste.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #45
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Saw it. It had flaws, but I enjoyed it far more than I thought I was going to, especially since I had deliberately sought out spoilers for its main story beats. Though perhaps it was just TLJ having lowered my expectations to subterranean levels. Clearly I must not be a Star Wars fan.

I can't help but wonder now if Rian Johnson using the Ep8 screenplay draft Abrams left for him would have made for a better end product, since one of the issues I felt in ROS was the over-density of plot as if Abrams was rushing to include all the plot he'd planned for Ep8 before RJ decided to make his own Star Wars sequel with blackjack and hookers.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-12-21 at 04:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I loved it!. I cheered. I cried. The political preachiness of the Last Jedi is gone. It was all about the story. The Leia/Carrie Fisher tribute was well done. Luke Skywalker is redeemed from his failure on Dagoba. You'll know when. One fan theory about Rey came true.

Picking nits, things that didn't happen I would have liked to have seen even if it would have been cheesy:

Spoiler
    Show
    When R2D2 gives back C-3PO's memory he gives it all back, such as Annakin Skywalker being the Maker.
    When Rey finally hears the voices of the Jedi we see them too - Yoda, Windu, Kenobi, Annakin, Qui Gon, etc.
    When even a couple of Ewoks were shown celebrating the victory, yes, I did actually wanted to see Naboo and an old Jar Jar.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Horrible film... Didn't make me want to quit on Star wars like the last jedi... But it is very bad...

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Rey wins with the power of anime
    Last edited by zinycor; 2019-12-21 at 04:56 PM.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
    I know. Every Star Wars movie never disappointed me and the last one was the best ever.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Saw it. It had flaws, but I enjoyed it far more than I thought I was going to, especially since I had deliberately sought out spoilers for its main story beats. Though perhaps it was just TLJ having lowered my expectations to subterranean levels. Clearly I must not be a Star Wars fan.
    My impression of ROS is that its a movie that's fun if you turn your brain off, but the minute you start to think about any aspect of it, everything collapses. In many ways it strongly resembles a better acted Michael Bay Transformers movie. Visually impressive and thrown at the audience at a million miles an hour, but there's nothing there underneath. ROS has a number of individual scenes that would be fun to watch again, even though I have no interest in actually watching the whole movie a second time.

I can't help but wonder now if Rian Johnson using the Ep8 screenplay draft Abrams left for him would have made for a better end product, since one of the issues I felt in ROS was the over-density of plot as if Abrams was rushing to include all the plot he'd planned for Ep8 before RJ decided to make his own Star Wars sequel with blackjack and hookers.
    I think the evidence is very clear by this point that if you're going to make a trilogy out of anything you need an overarching plan. TLJ's merits as a film have been litigated back and forth a million times, but it's absolutely clear that no plan was made to work from the end of that movie to an actual conclusion. There's a lot of things in ROS that, if they were going to exist at all, should have been in TLJ. The entire existence of General Pryde, for one.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Fresh from seeing it. Overall I liked it. I didn’t enjoy it enjoy it much as I did the previous two, but most of its flaws (not all, mind) stems from them not doing the work needed to build and set it up. The lack of planning that went into this trilogy is evident. But it did a surprisingly good job with what it had.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    I think the evidence is very clear by this point that if you're going to make a trilogy out of anything you need an overarching plan. TLJ's merits as a film have been litigated back and forth a million times, but it's absolutely clear that no plan was made to work from the end of that movie to an actual conclusion. There's a lot of things in ROS that, if they were going to exist at all, should have been in TLJ. The entire existence of General Pryde, for one.
    Just a reminder that Lucas did not have a plan when he made the OT. Vader wasn’t even Luke’s father until rewrites of Empire after the first movie was released. That he had everything planned beforehand is a myth Lucas himself perpetuated.

What was important was that he wanted the story to focus on family, legacy, and temptation. So he was able to work those themes throughout the work fairly consistently even after huge parts of his original plan were rewritten.

Now, I may be colored by the fact I don’t like Abram’s writing. Ever since Lost this guy has bored me. I’m one f those heathens that thought 7 was worse than 8. But I don’t believe he thinks of things like consistent theming when he writes. Something that we know Lucas, avowed student of Campbell and the monomyth certainly does. As such I personally kind of doubt I’d enjoy the ST better if all were written by him.

Spoiler
    Show
    We’d have lost the Kylo/Rey linked conversation/fights which is easily the most interesting thing about their dynamic to me. But then again, there might not have been a Rey/Kylo “romance” without Johnson at all. Which would have been a marked improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Horrible film... Didn't make me want to quit on Star wars like the last jedi... But it is very bad...

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Rey wins with the power of anime
    Just a reminder
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hero winning because guiding spirits from their past coming to their aid to tell them vague pseudo philosophical nonsense that basically just gets them to fight better is literally how the first movie ends. This one does the same thing with more effects.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2019-12-21 at 05:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yea I think that this movie manages to make Last Jedi feel even worse because you can see just how much wasted narrative space it had. Not that the plot would even need to change that much, just cut Rose and the canto bight war profiteer stuff to make space for more interactions with Finn and Poe on their own journey that can set up the "Finn is actually really shady" stuff way better and give Finn a chance to actually exist in that second movie. Also don't cut his one scene where he actually beats up Phasma from the movie, cut the weird plan that makes no sense. Then you just have to follow that up with moving the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rey is a Palpatine
    reveal to the second movie to better explain Luke's worries about her affinity for the darkside and his fears of training another Jedi turned Sith. But for that they would have to make a straightforward, not drowning in anti climax and narrative let downs while attempting to deconstruct the narrative of the franchise at its core level.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Just caught up the thread and this... diversity of reactions is pretty much what I expected.

Spoiler
    Show

Luke hiding out on Crait instead of helping the Resistance? As a Skywalker himself, he was just as susceptible to the Emperor's scheme as Rey if not moreso, and staying connected to the Force would have eventually lead him to Exegol just as she was, which would have allowed Palpatine to possess him and subjugate the galaxy for good
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don’t remember any of that. Luke says he was afraid but he never said he was afraid of Palpatine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Palpatine exploting their connection, and calling them a dyad was very interesting to me. Were they born at the exact same time? Makes you wonder how Palps pulled that off.
    He seemed surprised by it, so I don’t think that was planned on his part.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I found the Rey Palpatine reveal stupid myself. So stupid in fact that when two drunk guys yelled it inside the theater’s toilet I didn’t realise I was been spoiled.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-12-21 at 06:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a reminder
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hero winning because guiding spirits from their past coming to their aid to tell them vague pseudo philosophical nonsense that basically just gets them to fight better is literally how the first movie ends. This one does the same thing with more effects.
    Never been a fan of arguments that boil down to: you liked it in this, now they are doing it again and you don't like it!

Spoiler
    Show
    Execution matters. On the first movie Luke destroyed the death star by trusting his instincts rather than a computer. On episode VI Luke defeated the emperor by rejecting temptation. On this film Rey defeats the emperor by using anime powers
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

So, spoiler-free, from what I've read here and in reviews, it looks like JJ Abrams essentially pushed the reset button on episode 8, retconned it away, then slapped on his own conclusion and storyline which pick up where The Force Awakens left off. Is that correct?

Given that, what would you say if someone (i.e. me) just saw the first and last movies in the sequel trilogy and pretended that The Last Jedi never happened?

ETA: In fairness, I don't think the ST replaces the Thrawn Trilogy. The Thrawn Trilogy takes place between 5 and 10 years after the Battle of Endor, while the ST doesn't pick up until 15 years after. That's plenty of time for the Thrawn Trilogy to happen, with some minor edits to the continuity to fit Han and Leia's children into the new continuity.

So TTT can still be considered canon, especially since Thrawn is in New Canon. But there was a lot of dreck in the old school EU canon, and for that I will be grateful to Disney, even if I am not at all happy with episode 8.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-12-21 at 06:34 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    So, spoiler-free, from what I've read here and in reviews, it looks like JJ Abrams essentially pushed the reset button on episode 8, retconned it away, then slapped on his own conclusion and storyline which pick up where The Force Awakens left off. Is that correct?

Given that, what would you say if someone (i.e. me) just saw the first and last movies in the sequel trilogy and pretended that The Last Jedi never happened?

Brian P.
    Some events of Last Jedi still happened and informed a lot of this movie so you'd probably be confused (but you could presumably just roll with it and get a good experience).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Ehhh. There's a Force spell/thing that occurs between the main characters of the last movie which is pretty paramount to how things work in this one. This movie more picks at the parts of the last movie that it theoretically could smash down to fit a very simple good/evil fight against the Emperor. All the moral ambiguity, the parts where it questions the legacy of the OT since everything apparently went back up in smoke by the end of TFA. That pretty much completely gets brushed under the rug.

ETA: In fairness, I don't think the ST replaces the Thrawn Trilogy. The Thrawn Trilogy takes place between 5 and 10 years after the Battle of Endor, while the ST doesn't pick up until 15 years after. That's plenty of time for the Thrawn Trilogy to happen, with some minor edits to the continuity to fit Han and Leia's children into the new continuity.

So TTT can still be considered canon, especially since Thrawn is in New Canon. But there was a lot of dreck in the old school EU canon, and for that I will be grateful to Disney, even if I am not at all happy with episode 8.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Thrawn in new canon is the fool in the cartoon that released the leadership of an entire planet's rebellion after having them pinned down in a corner they couldn't escape. Just so he could make a trade with other prisoners he already had, gaining nothing in the process.

No. I'm sorry, I can't take that thing as Thrawn. I do agree the EU is full idiocy. But then, so is what replaced it.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Personally, I thought it was a little weird that Rey kept doubting her alignment when
    Spoiler
    Show
    she was the first movie character to use Force Healing, which has always been one of the most solidly Light Side powers in any of the games it's been in. I guess she also accidentally did Force Lightning, which is a big no no Dark Side power, but it's still weird. She's basically outcast/neutral Kyle Katarn for half of the movie until she figures herself out.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Personally, I thought it was a little weird that Rey kept doubting her alignment when
    Spoiler
    Show
    she was the first movie character to use Force Healing, which has always been one of the most solidly Light Side powers in any of the games it's been in. I guess she also accidentally did Force Lightning, which is a big no no Dark Side power, but it's still weird. She's basically outcast/neutral Kyle Katarn for half of the movie until she figures herself out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Force Healing is weird. Plageuis has a Dark Side one where he can manipulate life to the point that he can rez the dead and Cade Skywalker has an explicitly Dark Side healing ability of similar power in Legacy.

So it depends really.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    That may be true but I feel the ratio of Dreck to Good was better for Legends, then again I'm one of those heathens who not only liked the Yuzahn Vong but also Children of the Jedi, so I find there to be significantly less dreck for me.

I mean for me the new canon has whatever Romeo and Juliet in Space was called (I honestly can't remember) and that one cool story about a Zombie Parasite on a ISD? Hell that second one fits fine into Legends.

So ya, I'll take old Legends, dreck and all because it gets me stuff like the X-Wing Series and the Thrawn Trilogy, even if I have to put up with giant crystal god entity things.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ah okay, I knew that Darth Plagueis supposedly had the ability to keep people alive (as mentioned in Revenge of the Sith), but I wasn't familiar with any actual Dark Side healing powers.