New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Favorite Mobile Games?

What are your favorite mobile games, and why?

The big ones I'm playing right now are:

Rogue Adventure. It's basically free Slay The Spire, with enough differences in mechanics to make it unique. It's a single player deck-building card game where you fight various enemies, react to their abilities, and constantly refine a deck towards infinite power.

The classes I've played so far are:
    • The Warrior, who gets armor (temporary hitpoints) for every non-spell card you play, and can be upgraded into gaining temporary buffs every time your armor blocks enough of an attack to receive no damage.
    • The Mage, who channels a series of spells that increase his damage potential for every spell he casts. He can be upgraded into gaining more Mana (play more cards) after casting enough spells in combat.
    • The Assassin, who marks enemies after attacking them and then consumes those marks for defensive or offensive bonuses. His upgrade allows him to dodge 1/3 of incoming attacks, and cause an enemy's mark to explode when doing so.
    • The Necromancer, who adds-and-removes cards from his deck in the middle of combat, gaining eventual power for every card remove. His upgrade is a bit different, having multiple options to choose from to accommodate whatever changes you have made to your deck for his power.
    • The Paladin, who gains HP every turn for every non-spell card you have in your hand at the end of your turn, and can be upgraded to mark an enemy at the start of every combat that rewards the Paladin max HP the first time that enemy deals damage that bypasses Armor
    • The Ranger, who has powerful cards that attack randomly and shoots with his bow every time you play a non-spell card, who can upgrade his bow multiple times to deal additional damage and status effects for each upgrade.

There're 4 more classes that I haven't unlocked yet. The developer is really good about making updates. The last patch dramatically changed how the Assassin and Necromancer play so that they feel rewarding and effective when you utilize their core powers.

UnCiv. It's free Civilization 5 on Android. It's still a work in progress with a few things that need refined, but it's still hella fun. I never had the time to get into the Civ games, but having a free version on Mobile fixes that.
    You would think that something as complex as Civ 5 wouldn't fit well on Mobile, but the developer did a great job of adapting it to a small screen.

Mindustry . It's a tower-defense conveyor-belt economy-driven puzzle-strategy game?

Look, you gather resources from the ground from static-placed drills, then you use conveyor belts to move those resources from the drills to where they need to go. Maybe you need to mine coal for a power generator that's keeping your water pump cooling system active for a nuclear plant, otherwise it'll friggin' explode. Maybe that coal needs to be refined into graphite for production into defense surveyors and other technogadgetry. Maybe you're just starting out and a cheap, coal-powered flamethrower turret is the best defense you can afford. Or maybe you need to create a supply-demand system where coal goes where it's most needed.

The game is intense, and the level of ingenuity you'll need to master it is far beyond that.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-12-23 at 11:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite Mobile Games?

I've been enjoying "Ignore the Ringing Phone". My day has gotten much more peaceful, and I get to enjoy a 30 second snip of ringtone music.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Games I've really enjoyed on mobile...

Through the Ages: technically a boardgame port, but hey, it's on mobile, and the mobile port has a number of advantages over the boardgame, like automating the bookkeeping and being able to play asynchronously with friends and randoms online. It's a complex boardgame with a lot of interesting play.

Threes: one of the classics, a nice simple puzzle game with pleasing atmosphere and visuals.

Game Dev Story and Game Dev Tycoon: similar games with a fun fantasy of being able to develop games. Game Dev Story has a very charming retro feel to it, and they did an amazing job of making game generation feel satisfying (love lucking into a big streak of little icons popping into my game's stats), while Game Dev Tycoon has more varied and interesting game options that make the game you're developing feel less abstract.

Polytopia: a neat distillation of 4X games that turns into a score optimization game. I've managed to get a 3-star score with one faction, and I dunno if I can learn enough to get into the high scores of the game, which feel like a massive mountain, but it's still a fun way to burn time.

Universal Paperclips: decent port of the clicker game website, and it's a cool way to deliver narrative. The story of the game sprawls out in a wild way, and there's points where you just stop to think about the scope of what you're doing, and it's mind-boggling. Actually a clicker with an interesting story!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4

Discounting ports to mobile, hands down Final Fantasy Record Keeper. So much nostalgia. Music, cute pixel art. Build parties consisting of your favorite people from your favorite games. You can (and I have) spend real money, but they give away tons of good stuff. At this point someone starting would have a *ton* of catching up to do, but with power creep it'd be easy to do so, and you could tackle end-game content in like a year. Less time if you spend real money.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Brawl stars: fun, quick and action packed. Not very deep strategically, but overall pretty fun.

Archero: fun and action packed, I especially like the premise, but gets dull quickly

Evolution (board game port): really nice.

Hearthstone: Battlegrounds (new, free, autochess - like mode) is really fun.

Game boy emulator: a much better Pokémon experience since you can speed up the game, and get through boring parts super quickly.

Age of Rivals: surprisingly complex, and fun. Deckbuilding game that is rather small and unknown, but I can still find people for online plays.

Supreme Duelist: it's the only fighting game that I know of that can be played with two players on one phone. It's incredibly unpolished and "bad", especially in the lack of tutorial, but it's actually kinda fun. (Suggestion: pick a simple weapon at first and fight a bunch of enemies, soon enough you'll know how to play. Up is jump, down is shield, and releasing your button uses your special ability)
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

About the only Mobile game I play in a serious manner is Fate Grand Order. The gacha may be cruel, but most of the writing is excellent.

I've also enjoyed Seedship, a sort of RNG text adventure kind of game about being the AI guiding the last of humanity through the stars in search of a new colony.

UnCiv sounds amazing though.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Polytopia: a neat distillation of 4X games that turns into a score optimization game. I've managed to get a 3-star score with one faction, and I dunno if I can learn enough to get into the high scores of the game, which feel like a massive mountain, but it's still a fun way to burn time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Brawl stars: fun, quick and action packed. Not very deep strategically, but overall pretty fun.

Game boy emulator: a much better Pokémon experience since you can speed up the game, and get through boring parts super quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    I've also enjoyed Seedship, a sort of RNG text adventure kind of game about being the AI guiding the last of humanity through the stars in search of a new colony.
    Can definitely attest to these games.

Although, after enough trials, Seedship doesn't seem to be too well balanced. Fuel is fairly cheap, so having Sensors to find better planets isn't really necessary (since you can just look for another planet instead of scanning it from afar). As a result, Sensors are generally the first thing you should sacrifice. Additionally, small choices with good consequences can result in dramatically changing how your people evolve. For example, sacrificing a small percentage of the crew in stasis can save a lot of damage to their ship in some events, yet making that choice generally results in your people evolving into a fascist/communist society. Overall good game, I just found myself unable to learn how to 'play better' after about 10 or so runs.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-12-23 at 01:47 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been playing Conspiracy lately, an adaptation of the board game Diplomacy with a pretty nice interface and some new maps in addition to the classic one.

The only other mobile game I've played for any length of time was Galaxy on Fire, a pretty good space shooter.

And I've also played card games of all sorts, but I can't remember any names at the moment.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9

A few more I forgot to mention:

King Crusher is a puzzle-action-RPG where you slide heroes around a 3x3 grid as they attack monsters and avoid their attacks through your clever swiping. It's...insanely addicting.

Magink is a semi-translated action-adventure game with a lot of gameplay for how short it is. You get 3 spells that change based on holding or tapping, and you move around and take on bosses. It's pretty damn good for a mobile, and it's a shame that the developer hasn't finished it. It could have been a good $15 game on Steam.

Rebel Inc. is a strategy game where you are hired to put down a terrorist faction in a foreign country. However, this isn't military tactics...this is politics. You have to wipe out the rebels by destroying their cause and will to fight, which may mean gathering support from their benefactors, convincing them to give up arms, and crippling them through military force. The game obviously has some money grab tactics later on, but that doesn't keep it from being one of the most stressful and challenging strategy games I've ever played.

Lord of Dungeons. This is an Idle/Gatcha game I can get behind. It dives deep into resource management and multitasking to the extreme, from where your units are assigned for product management, to what monsters you're targeting for specific resources. It actually has some really good gameplay, if you're into that whole Dwarf Fortress Administrator thing.

Onitama. Interesting and simple chess-like game. You have several cards with several possible moves that you can use, as does your opponent. As you use a card, you give it to your opponent. Rinse, repeat, until you accomplish 1 of 2 win conditions (kill their king, or take their throne). It has an option for multiplayer on the same device, if you're into that.

5th Edition Homebrewery

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I've spent more hours than I really care to think about on Space Impact.

Granted, that was... 13~14 years ago? Yikes.

(Probably not the kind of mobile game you were thinking of, but eh.)
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I've played a few, top ones:
    Duel Links, for itching yugioh needs.

Fate Grand Order: Pretty interesting story, fun gacha

Langrisser Mobile:
    I loved Warsong as a kid so this is a great turn based gacha that is reminiscent of that. You can replay classic Langrisser scenes from games as well as go through new story. Paying helps you get better chance at getting better guys, but can totally play for free.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I like racing games for mobile.

Riptide GP Renegade by Vector Unit is a super awesome jet-powered jetski racing game. It is literally so good I bought (and finished) it twice, for mobile and PC. If you liked Trackmania, Stunts, Hard Drivin' (depending on how old you are): the stunt system is quite different here, more like a skateboarding game, but you'll love how it's integrated with racing. If you liked any skateboard game: this is more about racing, but you'll love doing stunts at speed. If you want to try any game I'm going to talk about today, this is the one you want. Part 2 of the same series (Renegade is part 3) can probably also still be found. That game is good in it's own right, just a bit easier. Anyway: Riptide GP = awesome. (Edit again, turns out the problem in the crossed out bit was my free McAfee trial being McAfee. Worthless program. -> EDIT: Of course, just after making this glowing recommendation I try to start the game up on my new laptop and there's some sort of weird crashing problem. But it worked fine on my old Windows 10 laptop, so I'm fairly certain there's an explanation somewhere. The Android version, which this thread is about, has been running on all devices I've had since buying it, and it even brings my progress over.)

Ground Effect Pro is inexpensive (the "free" version is not) and a great optimization-style racer. Meaning every time you race it is exactly the same, no interaction with opponents, so the thing that gains you time is building knowledge of the control and the levels. The cool unique thing about it it that you're racing ekranoplans, sort of in between a hovercraft and an airplane, so the level design and such are different than in other games you've played. This game makes me think of that pod racing from Star Wars E1. The game is best enjoyed while playing this song in the background. This is my second pick on this list, for if you want to try two of my games (despite a weird issue at some point that reset my progress and temporarily made me unable to get it back). Level 9 is the best one by the way. You can beat the developer time by so much if you get it right.

Beach Buggy Blitz is an endless runner (well, racer) from the same people that brought you the Riptide GP series discussed above, Vector Unit. Good time waster, but their business model has been shifting towards more predatory tactics. Still a very fun mobile game, it's just not Riptide GP Renegade.

Shine Runner is another, earlier game from the Riptide GP folks. It's a racing game where your score depends on trade, and a trading game where the only thing you have any real control over is the racing. But it's still a good time waster, with good looking environments. For things like passing time while sitting in a train and such it's much more entertaining than it should be. It doesn't require you to play super serious, and the racing segments only last a minute at a time.

I've also spent more time (though no money) than I'm willing to admit (currently level 39) in Pokémon Go. Yes, a non-racing title. It still entertains, and in fact it's almost a complete game at this point, with different stuff to do and have fun with. The one thing it still has over most similar games is a large player base, and the interaction is part of the reason to keep playing.

I've also tried using a Dosbox port to run my favorite alltime game Stunts on a phone. It doesn't quite run smooth yet. But if you have a newer phone it might be pretty close.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-01-09 at 09:34 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

I guess I played the entirety of Angry Birds on three separate devices, out of boredom. I had something called Bubble Monkeys? Blast Monkeys? on my old phone, pretty much the same deal. I was into Clash of Clans for a few years until I got bored around TH10, haven't opened the app in years, might as well delete it. There was a dungeon-crawler on the wife's tablet that I'll mess with occasionally - Arcane Quest? I don't imagine Golem Arcana counts as a mobile game, but what a lovely hybrid. I just...I completely dislike touchscreen controls, so despite the fun I've had with these mentions and my overall love of video games, I'm not a fan of mobile gaming.

I might check out UnCiv, because that's something I've been craving and might work out well enough without buttons.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Well, I've played a TON of Empires and Puzzles, to the point where my main (i.e the one on the phone in my pocket) has completed all the current content, but I'm still playing because it's reasonably fun to play and I like building my characters and stronghold up.

I keep going back to Fallout Shelter. It's not GREAT, but it's engaging, and it's one I can shut off and return to (a big plus, for me).

And... that's about it. Too many games are twitch based, for me, or don't deal well with "Dammit, I have to go change a poopy diaper."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Night of the Full Moon. It's a roguelike deckbuilder with a fairy tale theme, where you play a thoroughly badass Red Riding Hood. It's not at Slay the Spire's level of design, but it's the closest I've seen the genre get.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Mindustry . It's a tower-defense conveyor-belt economy-driven puzzle-strategy game?

Look, you gather resources from the ground from static-placed drills, then you use conveyor belts to move those resources from the drills to where they need to go. Maybe you need to mine coal for a power generator that's keeping your water pump cooling system active for a nuclear plant, otherwise it'll friggin' explode. Maybe that coal needs to be refined into graphite for production into defense surveyors and other technogadgetry. Maybe you're just starting out and a cheap, coal-powered flamethrower turret is the best defense you can afford. Or maybe you need to create a supply-demand system where coal goes where it's most needed.

The game is intense, and the level of ingenuity you'll need to master it is far beyond that.
    This sounds a lot like Factorio, which is not remotely a bad thing.

Onitama. Interesting and simple chess-like game. You have several cards with several possible moves that you can use, as does your opponent. As you use a card, you give it to your opponent. Rinse, repeat, until you accomplish 1 of 2 win conditions (kill their king, or take their throne). It has an option for multiplayer on the same device, if you're into that.
    It's actually a boardgame adaptation, where the board game has a few neat expansions.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Night of the Full Moon. It's a roguelike deckbuilder with a fairy tale theme, where you play a thoroughly badass Red Riding Hood. It's not at Slay the Spire's level of design, but it's the closest I've seen the genre get.
    I started with NotFM and played it for a long while, but I settled on Rogue Adventure.

What RA lacks in atmosphere and art it makes up for with diversity and content. The badguy mechanics, and figuring out how to abuse them, is a pretty big deal.

In NotFM, I found myself winning-or-losing basing mostly around RNG card rewards.
    I might give it another shot, though.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-12-28 at 08:26 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Just as an FYI, I've been trying some of these games, so thank you for this thread and let's keep it active!

Rogue adventure is pretty nice, if a bit unbalanced IMO. "Take all Beastman" cards is a stupidly strong tactic most of the time, Burn cards are much worse than Poison cards (even though the Burn effect is weaker), and up until last patch there were some major clarity issues: some monsters and effects are still not clear at all: one monster has "every two turns he deals 4 damage and gains 4 shield". And he has a little counter that goes back and forth between 1 and 2. How are you supposed to know when he's going to do his attack?
    Anyways, great game, totally recommend.

Seedship was nice and we'll written, but is very "thin". Played it once and never again.

I do have two more to add to the list:

Stick war legacy: a remake of an old flash game I loved, it's a super simplified Starcraft in a lane: build workers to gather gold, build units, send them to attack. You can control a unit to fight with it (like picking an archer to do sick headshots)
    The gameplay is pretty solid and fun. Replay value is limited once you know the "tricks" to beat the AI, but there are a few fun mods in Tournament mode.

Spaceteam: more of a party game than a mobile game, you need at least two people in the same room to play.
    It's a freaking blast. It's incredible. No, seriously, try it.
    You are a team piloting a spaceship: Everyone has a series of labels and switches with technobabble names, and each one receives a series of instructions ("Turn off the tachyon ladder").
    Most of the instructions you receive are things that only one of your teammates can do, and there's very little time, so it quickly devolves in everyone shouting "WHO CAN SET THE PHASE ANOMALY TO 7?"
    As you progress in levels you may get icons instead of labels ("turn the guy shooting bubbles to 1!"), and when you fail to follow the instructions your interface starts breaking in fun ways.
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I picked up Mindustry and have been playing it a bit myself. It's fun, though some of the levels get pretty brutal pretty quickly, mostly when the bosses show up. You can usually contain the enemy spawns with some ease and walls of turrets, but the bosses are nasty.

Factotum Variants!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    I picked up Mindustry and have been playing it a bit myself. It's fun, though some of the levels get pretty brutal pretty quickly, mostly when the bosses show up. You can usually contain the enemy spawns with some ease and walls of turrets, but the bosses are nasty.
    Electricity is your best friend, and is the first thing you should be rushing for. Between shields, healing, or even electric-powered Tesla guns, electricity can pretty much solve most of your problems on your defensive line.

Do note that the shields block projectiles within their aura, not protect buildings within their aura. As a result, it's a lot better to have shields near the front, so that any blocked explosives don't have their AoE hit a wall or turret.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-01-02 at 05:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Rogue adventure is pretty nice, if a bit unbalanced IMO. "Take all Beastman" cards is a stupidly strong tactic most of the time, Burn cards are much worse than Poison cards (even though the Burn effect is weaker), and up until last patch there were some major clarity issues: some monsters and effects are still not clear at all: one monster has "every two turns he deals 4 damage and gains 4 shield". And he has a little counter that goes back and forth between 1 and 2. How are you supposed to know when he's going to do his attack?
    Anyways, great game, totally recommend.
    Faeries have been the strongest 'tribe' of cards for me so far, with a bunch of strong Exile/Remove cards that you can burn out of the deck on your first shuffle or two and then really good scaling on 'number of faeries in deck' cards in Fairy Warrior and the one that adds the self-cycling bugs.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia: been a day 1 player, game going to celebrate it's 2nd year next month-ish. Hands down the best mobile game i've played in ages.

Huge cast of FF characters to pick from, decent story if you want to see different characters interact with one another (Locke, Vaan, Yuffie, Faris and Zidane comparing heists between fights) and not all characters are from the same era in a series (Laguna doesn't recognize Squall, who does recognize him) so you can have some interesting conversations, lots of content to clear at your leisure (no stamina for main story and bonus character quests, only used to grind summon materials and end-game character powerups), absolutely generous with premium currency and single pull tickets. there are "pity pull" systems in place (15 pulls on a single banner will get you enough banner currency for 1 EX weapon, 10 pulls an end-game limited upgrade resource, 5 pulls a generic weapon upgrade stone) as well as weapon tokens you can get (3 red ones weekly to use on the 15cp and 35cp weapons, and limited amounts of EX weapon tokens so you can pick one EX from a list). SQEX community members do pay attention and occasionally post on the active subreddit.

gacha is tied to weapons and not characters, and end game does require a full kit, which is 3 weapons for most characters. Older characters frequently get reworks so even if they're not currently "meta", they're going to eventually be brought up to snuff.

We're currently doing the "new year" event thing and there are a lot of free pulls a new player can take advantage of for gear.

Dragonball Dokkan: It's a guilty pleasure dragonball puzzle game. create a team of 6 characters and beat up other DBZ characters in a paper scissors rock elemental battle. Very grindy. premium currency is pretty expensive and you get it rather slowly once you've done with current content. I "like" it in the sense that i've been playing on/off for years so I have a huge number of units and variants to use.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Electricity is your best friend, and is the first thing you should be rushing for. Between shields, healing, or even electric-powered Tesla guns, electricity can pretty much solve most of your problems on your defensive line.

Do note that the shields block projectiles within their aura, not protect buildings within their aura. As a result, it's a lot better to have shields near the front, so that any blocked explosives don't have their AoE hit a wall or turret.
    Yeah, I've got that unlocked, the maps I'm running just don't have good access to coal and water for decent power generation.

And the electricity powered turrets don't help against the flying bosses. Or the ground boss that outranges everything but the 3x3 large artillery.

Factotum Variants!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Great thread!

I haven't played it on mobile, but the PC version of Crowntakers was a really nice 'rpg tactics' style roguelite game. Turn based combat on a hex grid, small squads, level ups, gathering a team, etc. Unlocked characters can be recruited in future games, so there's a bit of progression, and new characters come with new abilities and allow for different combat tactics.

Mindustry is fantastic. It falls flat in few ways, like there being no clear indication about how much preparation you'll need for the bosses, but the base building is great, and having short missions instead of an open world actually fits this type of game rather well.
    Having better long-term goals and more variance would fix a lot, but while the game's not perfect, it's very entertaining.

Rogue Adventure is great. The different classes play really differently, and as you play more and level up, you unlock more complex cards and interactions. Nice!

Unciv works surprisingly well on small screen, but Civilization's low pace and long sessions and long grind to victory are very noticeable on mobile.

Polytopia and Threes I already knew. Both are nice, but I was mostly looking for new stuff.

I'm not a fan of racing or endless runner games, and I'm not familiar with gatcha games. I might try those later, but I'll go through the other suggestions first.

Is FF Record Keeper interesting if I'm unfamiliar with most FF games?
    Last edited by endoperez; 2020-01-12 at 11:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Great thread!

I haven't played it on mobile, but the PC version of Crowntakers was a really nice 'rpg tactics' style roguelite game. Turn based combat on a hex grid, small squads, level ups, gathering a team, etc. Unlocked characters can be recruited in future games, so there's a bit of progression, and new characters come with new abilities and allow for different combat tactics.

Mindustry is fantastic. It falls flat in few ways, like there being no clear indication about how much preparation you'll need for the bosses, but the base building is great, and having short missions instead of an open world actually fits this type of game rather well.
    Having better long-term goals and more variance would fix a lot, but while the game's not perfect, it's very entertaining.

Rogue Adventure is great. The different classes play really differently, and as you play more and level up, you unlock more complex cards and interactions. Nice!

Unciv works surprisingly well on small screen, but Civilization's low pace and long sessions and long grind to victory are very noticeable on mobile.

Polytopia and Threes I already knew. Both are nice, but I was mostly looking for new stuff.

I'm not a fan of racing or endless runner games, and I'm not familiar with gatcha games. I might try those later, but I'll go through the other suggestions first.

Is FF Record Keeper interesting if I'm unfamiliar with most FF games?
    Final Fantasy Record Keeper is the only mobile game I’ve played for any extended amount of time (in fact, 4 years).

I’d say go for it and see if you like it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

een playing SUmmoners War since 015 on and off.

Itts effectively Pokemon for a little older people. If you manage to resist the lure to spend money (and are not completely out of luck regarding good Mosnter pulls) its very fun and doesnt need much time to keep up until late game.

Then however the Grind is REAL.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

26. - Top - End - #26

Almost forgot one of my favorites:

Gems of War: Not your average Match-3 game, from the makers of Puzzle Quest, this game is incredibly complex and competitive. Think MTG meets Bejeweled in a game that offers an insane amount of content. Match colors for mana, which is absorbed by 1 of your 4 troops with that color. Match-4 to get an extra turn. Match-5+ for an extra turn and mana. Take turns matching gems until one side is wiped out.

For reference on just how damn big this game is, just in the single player content alone, there are:
    • 34 kingdoms, each with their own NPC quest-line, classes that you can use for your own, and challenges for bonus resources.
    • 11 Factions, each with their own NPC quest-line, dungeons that you can delve 3 times each per day with team restrictions for bonus resources, and reputation from those delves that provides permanent benefits for you in all other events (even PVP).

With each quest averaging about 30 or so different encounters.

It also has the greatest implementation of Guilds I've ever seen:
    • Events that infinitely scale in difficulty, but lower level guildmember's progress adds buffs to their higher-level allies who are able to go on ahead. The Guild's contribution is totaled and everyone receives the summed reward.
    • Participation points (seals) are awarded for anyone playing the game in any way (with difficult things awarding more), with the guild's total accumulated seals contributing to the quality of chest those seals can open during that week.

It's very intense, and probably has more content than pretty much every free mobile game I've ever played. Beyond some Guild events or solo late-game content, there's no time-based bottleneck either. Do as much PVP or PVE as you want, level up all of your classes if you choose.

I'd call it the mobile equivalent of WOW, in terms of quality and scope if not concept.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-02-28 at 03:36 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

As with one other in this thread, I too play Fate/Grand Order. It's practically an entire RPG in a mobile format. I also play Buriedbornes for just about the same reason-It's a strategic roguelike rpg where you advance through dungeons. Love them both to death.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Trying Buriedbornes.

I'm liking it, and the game is just my style, but i'm having trouble understanding many of the details.

Like, i have used attacks that have 60 accuracy but barely ever miss.
    All skills say "Damage is based on DEX/INT/ecc", but I have no way of knowing how strong they actually are.
    I actually have no idea what my stats are, i only know what my equipment gives me.
    How should i know whether a 100 power Int skill or a 150 power Dex skill is better for my int-based character?

Also, what do the colors of the room mean? there are sometimes little dots in the rooms, but i have no idea what they do.

Also, I see a few different maps I can try, which ones should I do?

For reference, i've played three times, reaching I believe floor 13 at best. Ninjutsu is insane.
    So yeah. your wrong.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I enjoyed Seedship, I think my highest score was around 14,000 or so. I quite like Bloons Tower Defense 6. It costs $5, but it's well worth it in my opinion. I'm also rather surprised nobody's mentioned my favorite mobile game, Shattered Pixel Dungeon.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

There are a few of them….

1. Termux - it basically is the android emulator of the Kali Linux.

2. ArduinoDroid - I absolutely love this app… It is even faster than the actual IDE when it comes to cocompiling and uploading codes.

3. Clash Of Clans - I am a big barbarian fan.

4. TurboCDroid- A great way to write codes on the go.

And that's it…..