New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Yahoo to bing, can I stop this?

Every time I do a search through yahoo and click on a link in the results two things happen. One, it opens the link, two, just about every time it opens another tab to bing search results for the same issue. Is there any way to shut this down? Its freaking obnoxious.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Yahoo to bing, can I stop this?

Try this:

Open the Yahoo Menu (an icon with 9 dots on a 3x3 layout for me, you may get something different)

Select Settings (Gearbox symbol)

Under Preverences find: Open search results

This will probably be set to "In new tab" - change it to "In current tab"

If that doesn't work, go into your browser settings and see if it has any search engines set (Microsoft browsers will spray Bing everywhere) - where you find this depends on the browser you are using.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2019-12-23 at 07:18 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #3

As a general guideline, it's a good idea to remove any search engines you don't use. Most of them are data miners these days, so they're constantly reporting on you to their corporate masters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Try this:

Open the Yahoo Menu (an icon with 9 dots on a 3x3 layout for me, you may get something different)

Select Settings (Gearbox symbol)

Under Preverences find: Open search results

This will probably be set to "In new tab" - change it to "In current tab"

If that doesn't work, go into your browser settings and see if it has any search engines set (Microsoft browsers will spray Bing everywhere) - where you find this depends on the browser you are using.
    Hmmmm, I think its specifically because its yahoo. It says its powered by bing so it looks like unless I want to go to a different search engine im always going to get bing because bing basically owns the yahoo search engine. Looks like I have to go to google or something if I want to avoid this annoyance. If I wanted to search through bing I WOULD BE ON THE BING SEARCH ENGINE!!!!!!! It wont let me stop no matter what I do. Im running Chrome btw
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Unfortunately, I don't use Chrome (well, I do at work, but am on leave...). However I can't get it to happen in Firefox, Internet Explorer or Edge, so it might be a Chrome issue (although why it would target Bing defeats me - you would think they would go for Google...).

You are definitely checking the Yahoo settings and not the Chrome settings, aren't you? It can be confusing given the plethora of icons you have to deal with...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    As a general guideline, it's a good idea to remove any search engines you don't use. Most of them are data miners these days, so they're constantly reporting on you to their corporate masters.
    If you have a search engine that's "installed" on your local device, you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by veti; 2019-12-24 at 03:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    If you have a search engine that's "installed" on your local device, you're doing it wrong.
    The problem is that they are "installed" within the browser as well (or, at least, the browser settings say to use them). My default firefox installation alone had 8 search providers configured for use.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    The problem is that they are "installed" within the browser as well (or, at least, the browser settings say to use them). My default firefox installation alone had 8 search providers configured for use.
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with that. Firefox has a "search" box, it needs to know what to do with stuff you type in there. That's no different from going to $WEBSITE and typing your search in there - which is to say, using it is completely optional, and it doesn't leak information when you're not using it.

It gets much greyer when "search from the address bar" is enabled. (Can't remember whether that's the default in Firefox. It certainly is in Chrome.) Because then, there's a decent chance that everything you type in the address bar will be sent to your configured search agent.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    It gets much greyer when "search from the address bar" is enabled. (Can't remember whether that's the default in Firefox. It certainly is in Chrome.) Because then, there's a decent chance that everything you type in the address bar will be sent to your configured search agent.
    I was going to mention "search from address bar", but thought no - let's keep it short. It's a feature I really dislike and I really didn't want to start on a rant...