New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 69: Nice.

[The Temperance Teahouse]

"Well whatever the reason, it looks good on you," Reinholdt says with all due sincerity. He doesn't know about her situation, so the compliment must be genuine rather than an attempt at making her feel better.

He fidgets a little himself, shuffling his feet. "And thank you." He's not used to dressing up for an occasion, so it's good to hear that he got it mostly right. It only took a dozen Rein clones suggesting different things before he found something halfway decent.

Rein holds out his elbow, offering it to Holly if she wants to take it with her hand because he read you're supposed to do that. "Yes, let's." Regardless of whether she actually accepts, they'll then head inside to the restaurant, ending up on the second floor South section. West would have been better, but they'd have had to actually make reservations to get one of those seats on a Friday night. Or been very lucky/early. Regardless, Rein goes out of his way to pull Holly's seat out for her before taking his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison

Now somewhat concerned, the vigilante will take the time to activate his helmet's scanner, assessing the emotional state and medical wellbeing of both the prisoner and the guard above.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

As Nick heads back down the street he'll hear the little girl giggling behind him.

Apparently his mission was a success.

As mentioned, making his way into the factory isn't difficult at all. Sure enough, the factory doesn't appear to be running at all. Large numbers of lumpy looking... tubers? Of some kind? Not potatoes. Something else. They're in the process of being moved out of middle of the loading area to make room for...

Chairs?

Quite a few chairs.

And some workers are carrying a podium.

A large woman with rather poofy hair is direction them.

"No, we need all those beets out of the way. We need room for the chairs AND the press. Steve, help Chaz with that podium, I don't want it to get dropped. No it doesn't matter what kind of light-bulb we use. Remember to test it before the presentation, the last thing we need is a burned out bulb ruining everything."

She doesn't seem to have noticed Nick yet.

[Golden Flock Orphanage]

Melissa kind of wilts when Isaac starts talking firmly. But then she balls up her little fists and-

-gives an "Eep!" when several stairs collapse.

"Oh geeze that was close," Lucas yelps as he hops up the rest of the stairs-

-right into the very spooky second floor. Okay yeah this is creepy as heck. The random voices and giggling are extra creepy as heck.

"You're right, Isaac... I'm sorry," Melissa admits with only a SMALL amount of petulant sulk in her tone. Then to make good on it she hugs her brother, too! "I'll stay closer. Which room do YOU think we should look in next?"

The giggling room?

The muttering room?

The mumbling old man room?

So many exciting choices!

Melissa tries kicking at some of the shadows just for the heck of it. All this ghostly power in the air and nothing to eat yet! It's like smelling someone fixing mac and cheese with bacon and taking way too long!

[Creepy Victorian Book House]

Into the library they go! The secret room door has swung shut again. It's on a spring, so it closes all on its own. There was an obvious latch on the inside for getting it open again. It wouldn't be too difficult to get back in there, really. Just pull the correct book and dive right on in!

Probably best to hurry, too.

Because it sounds like the door down on the ground floor just exploded.

Whether our heroes duck into the secret room or not, one of the relics is going to get clobbered with a shovel!

This results in the shovel bouncing off it and giving a sound not terribly unlike a tuning fork being struck.

A very, very loud tuning fork being struck.

Almost immediately there's an awful shuffling, slithering, scrabbling sound as whatever came out of the smoking room begins moving with haste up the stairs.

Welp!

Looks like it knows more or less where they are now.

Great.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Prison

The prisoner is in sorry shape: slightly malnourished and alternating between crippling fear and crazed excitement. The guard on the other hand, is physically a perfectly healthy human male, but his emotions are oddly inscrutable. It would be hard to identify what he's feeling from outside his head. He seems to be waiting for the vigilante to take the prisoner inside.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

[Golden Flock Orphanage]

Isaac’s expression softens and Melissa gets a pat on the head.
    ”It’s fine, now that we’re clear on things. Now-“ he looks around at the various doors and their associated weird noises.
    ”I guess that one?” he gestures at the giggling one. Giggling is the creepiest. So they should deal with it first.

[A Lot Spookiness]

Beets? That’s sure a lot of beets. Maybe it’s some sort of cannery? Regardless, this seems to be the person he’s here to speak to.
    ”Excuse me, Ma’am? I understand you run this place?” he asks quietly, when she seems to have a second.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Holly smiles and takes his elbow.

The South is still fine, however, because you get to look out the windows and see the people outside. Sure, she heard the garden here is pretty amazing but they can still take a walk through it on their way out.

She sits down with a "Thanks" and grabs the menu to look through it. She doesn't really know all these teas or why they're different colors or why you'd pick one over another so she just skims over them for now, and sushi isn't really her thing..."Oh!" she exclaims. "They have fried bananas! I used to have that all the time growing up." She's been meaning to make some but hasn't really found time to do it.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Leaving Stuck Square]
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Jack can't really go up, and it quickly becomes clear that, with a passenger, her flight is a step above gliding and probably several steps below where she is without trying to lift another human-sized person who weighs more than she does (Jack's bones are hollow, always; one of the things separating her from a true human).

They make it to the balcony, though Jack's looking a little scared. "Um, might be an idea not to do that again. I struggled more than I expected, carrying you." Jack's shadow reunites with her here, though she doesn't notice. The shadow's a little upset by that.
    "Oh, uh, sorry. But you made it!"
    Anchor's a little sheepish, but not sure what to say. She's a smaller-than-average person, even. Jack probably overestimated her wings, is all. She smiles and gives a little wave to both of the returning shadows, then snaps her fingers to have a little ball of light appear at her fingertips.
    The way out is completely dark, you see. You might expect the sun to reach down here, but it somehow fails to do so.
    But leaving is simple, if they follow the schoolschicks' directions and head ever upwards. Do not pass through the crystal doorway. Do not listen to the whispering voices that you half recognize, asking you to turn back. Do not follow the looming figure beckoning at the corner of your eye. And soon enough you''ll step out into the docks of ordinary Inside.

[Hive Sewers]
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    An interesting answer, which didn't really answer anything. "I'm really not a warrior." Though she has killed, in self-defence primarily. She's still whispering, just in case he wants her to be quiet. She's still got the bag of loot, though there's nothing in there that can help her. At least, not so far as she knows.
    The living floor squishes a bit underfoot, but you won't sink into it like mud or anything. It shifts a bit under the Stalker's feet, putting more spring in their step, but ignores the Tineye.
    "we were really just trying to improve ourselves, to grow stronger. But then we ended up in the Nexus. Things here are so different, the survival of the world so fragile...we've had to do something about it. Work to protect the place."

They come to a rounded, natural-looking passageway ringed with those blue bioluminescent plants, the entrance to the hive proper. The next room has something in it, or someone, a big creature, like an anteater that's also a crab. It examines the Tineye with one lazy eyestalk, but is told she's not a threat. Ignore it. Come with the Stalker to the coat closet.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #158

[A Lot Spookiness]

It's hard to even begin to imagine how often they drop sick beets around here.

Usually right into the garbage.

No one wants to eat sick beets.

The woman turns to give Nick an appraising look. "My husband owns the factory but today's spectacle is my work. If you want to help clear beets out of the way I can pay you two dollars for the work."

That is, as it happens, a bit on the generous side.

A dollar an hour for unskilled labor is above what would be considered minimum wage for the era.

Though clearing beets probably isn't Nick's reason for being here.

Or is it!?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

Nick smiles at the lady.
    ”Well, sort of. Name’s Nick. I’m passing through on my way out to California when I heard that there’s a presentation happening after my train out of here. Thought I had to ask about it. My wife’s a scientist, you see. I’d never hear the end of it if she heard I walked right past some big breakthrough without asking about it for her.” he tells her. Half of that was true at least.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

[Creepy Victorian Book House]

Melissa winces as she hears the loud 'bong' from the stone and growls, literally growls, at Jack before saying, "Not like that! I mean...Look, whatever is causing this is clearly bad news. If that's them, why should we do what it wants and put them back together? If anything it'll just make things worse here."

When she hears the quickened pace of the rustling from downstairs, she sighs and squares up, drawing her sword and facing the entrance to the hidden room as she grumbles, "Great. Here we go again."

11. - Top - End - #161

[A Lot Spookiness]

"Really?" the woman replies, looking interested. "I don't suppose you're familiar at all with the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment?"

Geneva has mention that one before.

Except Schrodinger's name was a pony pun.

Depending on how well Nick can recall and explain the thought experiment, he might be given a little private show of the experiment before the big debute.

BUT!

Only if Mrs DuPree is suitably impressed by Nick's physics knowledge.

Otherwise?

He's just another uneducated gawker.

Who would have imagined that Nick's ability to comprehend Geneva's physics rambling could some day save or doom a small town?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

Of course she picked the one that pop culture likes referring to the most. And that Geneva went and explained.
    ”Are you suggesting that your presentation involves sealing a small animal in a box with poison and refusing to open it because it would only be conclusively alive or dead once it’s observed? Or just that it has something to do with an object’s th-theoretical state of existence?”
    Do not use the word “thaumaturgy” Nick. Just because it’s an important word when parroting all of Geneva’s rambling does not mean it’s a word she’s likely to believe is real.

13. - Top - End - #163

[A Lot Spookiness]

Don't use any pony puns either, Nick.

That would be a dead giveaway.

Mrs DuPree laughs. "No, no. Of course not. Nothing so crude. No, the experiment has to do with observation and wave-form collapse. Which is what the cat experiment is about as well. Since you're not going to be here for the world-shaking presentation I suppose I can give you a private showing."

She'll gesture for Nick to follow her to her office.

"Now, since the number of viewers will be lower this won't be nearly so spectacular. But I think you'll be able to appreciate the importance of this discovery."

The office is a smallish room with a desk and quite a few unmarked books up on a shelf. It looks like she does the book-keeping for her husband's factory? A calendar hanging on the wall has today's date circled.

In a bright, lime green color.

"Here it is," she says, opening up a little box on her desk. Inside is a small clay tablet with a symbol etched into it. It looks... well. It's had to say, given how abstract it is. Kind of vaguely like sea anemone. Or maybe an eye. Or maybe a star? Could be a tree. It's hard to tell. The more he looks at it, the more certain Nick will be regarding what it is. Mrs DuPree touches a pair of wires to it that are connected to a galvanometer, causing the needle to inch juuuust a tiny bit to the right. "That symbol, for whatever reason, amplifies quantum phenomena to a macroscopic scale. When it's observed it's wave-form collapses and people begin to understand what the symbol is. And when that happens it produces virtual particles that do NOT cease to exist! They annihilate to energy rather than nothing! And the conductive frame it's in captures that energy as an electrical current. Imagine, unlimited energy from from observing a funny symbol."

...wait.

Didn't Nick get tossed here as soon as he saw whatever was causing that green glow?

"Not much power. But some. More power the more people observe it. That's why we're having the presentation tonight. Much more power, then. I wanted to just attach it to the galvanometer, but my husband thought moving a needle wouldn't be very interesting. He had the idea of it lighting up a bank of light-bulbs. He doesn't know a lick about science, but he's a good salesmen and I trust his judgement. Of course just the light bulbs weren't good enough either, the silly man. A plain white bulb was too boring he said. So I had one of the assistants run down to the theater and pick up some lighting filters to make it more exciting."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

Nick looks at the sign and quickly looks away. It reminds him of the thing etched onto the inside of his helmet.
    ”Are the anomalous properties of the symbol persistent throughout any version of it? I mean, are you going to show your audience that specific little thing? Or a blown-up copy of it big enough for everyone to see? I imagine it would be difficult getting everyone’s eye on that one little thing.”
    He was also fairly sure matter can’t be created or destroyed without antimatter or specific silly spells.

15. - Top - End - #165

[A Lot Spookiness]

Virtual particles always pop in with paired particles and antiparticles! But what's going on here is clearly nonsense. Physics bending nonsense.

"They're present in any reproduction of the symbol, that's why it's so ground breaking," Mrs DuPree says. "Making an exact replica was challenging, but thankfully it was inscribed on that clay tablet we found. It can be used to make a positive, that can be transferred to a bit of film and projected. Then it can be easily reduced or enlarged as the need arises."

So it isn't just the one picture.

There are others.

Which isn't terribly helpful.

"This is going to change everything, you know," Mrs DuPree says. "We could just put the symbol everywhere people look. No more burning coal. No more dealing with nuclear waste or worrying about meltdowns. This will be virtually free power for everyone. It will revolutionize the world and nothing will ever be the same."

Yeah... that's probably true.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

Nick sighs and reaches into his coat for his cigarette case.
    ”Unfortunately Ma’am, I’m afraid that isn’t true for you. Things are going to be the same for quite a while.” he takes from the case three objects: a United States quarter marked 2021, a New California coin marked 2277, and a photo of two bizarre looking cat-bird hybrids with an orange reptile with odd, colorful jackets on. He also pulls open his jacket to reveal his shiny INTERSECTION- CITY OF INSIDE POLICE UNION badge.
    ”Ma’am, I’m not from California. Well actually yes I am but not the point. I’m with Nexus police and I have reason to believe your experiment has caused an anomalous phenomenon on this space. When observed from a distance everything in this area was dead. I only saw any of you when I got close. I think you’ve been living this day for a very long time.
    Sometimes observing things can cause more than just energy to enter our reality. I don’t know what you called here, but I’m going to have to ask you to shut it down if any of us still have any power to do anything about it.”

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Raising a brow at the fact that she didn't seem to require the tablet further, he accepts it.

--

With that, he'll leave.
    [Kathy's Cybershop]

"Right, chaingun, like that's simple," she mutters to herself. That said, she gets started on the schematics very quickly, going down into the basement to start entering them into her computer. The delivery will be ready in a few days; she'll see to that.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

18. - Top - End - #168

[A Lot Spookiness]

The photo of griffins (and dragon) don't really do much for the woman.

That could just be a photo of a very realistic painting.

...right?

The money is more convincing, though.

She picks up a quarter and turns it over between her fingers.

"But... the experiment has nothing to do with time travel," Mrs DuPree objects. "That doesn't make any sense. It's just a wave form collapse experiment. It... are you suggesting that this symbol is connected to something else? What ARE you suggesting?"

Otherworldly abominations!

Obviously.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post

Holly smiles and takes his elbow.

The South is still fine, however, because you get to look out the windows and see the people outside. Sure, she heard the garden here is pretty amazing but they can still take a walk through it on their way out.

She sits down with a "Thanks" and grabs the menu to look through it. She doesn't really know all these teas or why they're different colors or why you'd pick one over another so she just skims over them for now, and sushi isn't really her thing..."Oh!" she exclaims. "They have fried bananas! I used to have that all the time growing up." She's been meaning to make some but hasn't really found time to do it.

Reinholdt picks up a menu of his own. He's familiar with about half of these teas. Which means he still needs to explore the other half. He looks up when Holly exclaims her familiarity with one of the products and then looks back down at the menu with confusion. Yep. There it is. Fried bananas.

"I... didn't know you could fry bananas. Well, you can fry anything right? But I didn't know you would fry bananas." It is not on the list of foods Rein can imagine would ever taste good fried. He must not be a chef. "They're good then?" They must be if she had them all the time!

"Where did you grow up?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

Nick looks at her.
    "A symbol is representative of something. That's what the word means. In this case, it's connected to something malevolent. By exposing it to people, you fed it. Did feed it. Will feed it. Time is weird. Point is, it does make energy, but eventually whatever it is comes to collect. And since I've seen what happens when it does, I would suggest you stop it before that happens. Because it wasn't pretty. " It was, in fact, pretty horrible.

21. - Top - End - #171

[A Lot Spookiness]

"The money looks real..." Mrs DuPree mutters, setting the coin down on her desk. "So, this thing is what? Some kind of alien?"

This IS the 50s.

Movies about invading alien monsters are all the rage.

"An alien that eats by people looking at a symbol? That doesn't make any sense."

Honestly it really doesn't.

"How could something gain nourishment by people looking at it? And why would that produce energy?"

All excellent questions.

"And once it has eaten enough it will do what? What exactly did you see?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

Nick shrugs.
    "I don't question how old things and such work. What I do know is that the town had not a scrap of organic material left. No living things, no paper, no rubber, nothing." he shows her his energy pistol. "So if you don't mind, I would suggest you let me blast that thing to a bunch of pieces before whatever it is starts eating people."

23. - Top - End - #173

Holly first answers his question about fried bananas. "Yeah! They're really good," she says, "but, I guess, not everybody likes them. If you like bananas, you'll probably like them."

She glances at the menu again in the sections she skipped over more, to see if she can decide what to get. This allows her to talk, as well, because she can talk and read at the same time. "I grew up in a different reality or universe or planet or whatever it's called," she says. "Like most people's homeworlds, mine was called Earth which seems to be a common name for places, but from what I heard there's not many similarities with other common features of worlds. Like, electricity wasn't a thing that worked, except for space heaters and other similar things. There were things that lived in mirrors, monsters that came out at night, the planet was tilted pretty far, all sorts of stuff like that. The country I grew up in was tropical for most the year. Umm, it was called..." She tries to think back. "...Camugerê." She wasn't entirely sure how much or what he wanted from that question, so she just decided to answer a bunch about it.

Not wanting to hog all the talking, she returns the question. "And you? Where'd you grow up?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #174

[A Lot Spookiness]

Is that a gun?

Oh yeah.

That's a gun.

A gun to go with that badge.

A flash of fear crosses the woman's face as she backs away from the tile, her hands raised.

She's probably hoping that Nick doesn't shoot her, too.

For good measure she makes a small strangled noise.

Might be a good idea to say something encouraging!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

"I mean I like bananas. I'm just not sure how much I like bananas you know? I only really found out a few years ago, and really only tasted one banana. Maybe a few times, eagerly, but... Is that enough to really know?" Reinholdt frowns and glances back at the menu for a moment.

He then shakes his head and clears his thoughts of whatever it was that caused that tangent. "Ahem. Well anyways, yeah, I've heard of Earths. Been to a few even." Never for very long. "If monsters live in mirrors... Why make mirrors?" Reinholdt asks. Like maybe some evil cultists would, but other than that, mirrors just wouldn't get made, right?

Who knows? "I grew up in a country called Immoren. Apparently there's a few of them as well. Nowhere near as many as Earths, granted. Regardless, the place I grew up was cold and wet and always at war for some reason or another. I hated it really. All of it. But they had the most fantastic caviar you could imagine. Never could find any quite like it. And trust me, I have looked."

"You ever have caviar? I know some people haven't." Reinholdt puts the menu down, a good idea of what he's going to order.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-01-01 at 07:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

Nick shakes his head.
    "Ma'am, I'm a cop, not a crazed gunman. Now how about you help me finish saving your town?" he asks, as he presses the muzzle of the gun against the tablet and fires.
    The pew! sound it makes might be a little less intimidating than she was expecting, though the energy it emits is probably enough to scorch the symbol from the stone.

27. - Top - End - #177

"Caviar's, like, fish eggs, right?" Holly asks. She raises her menu up so he can't look in her eyes and read what she thinks of it. "I-I've had it once." Didn't like it, made her feel sick, etc, but she doesn't want to mention that because he likes it. So, instead she says, "That place sounds awful, being cold all the time. I've always found it strange how so many different places have the same name. Or how many weird similarities there are."

She's almost decided what she wants..."It wasn't really monsters that lived in the mirrors: monsters lived in the shadows. Fairies lived in the mirrors, and they only bothered you if you bothered them and most people didn't believe they existed so few people had troubles with them."

The Half-ElfTM Holly sets the menu down on the table. "So, I think I want the stir-fry and fried bananas, but I really know very little about these drinks so I'll just get what you get."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #178

[A Lot Spookiness]

A smouldering black mar is left in the ceramic tile, all glassy and deformed. The weird jittering of the image stops. It doesn't look like many different things anymore.

Just one thing.

A completely meaningless squiggle.

"And you have a ray gun. Why wouldn't a police office from the future have a ray gun?" Mrs DuPree mutters. "Alright. I have three more impressions like that one. It isn't the original. And the plaster positive. And the one we pressed onto film. And... the original. We have to destroy all of them, right? To prevent this... thing that eats by being seen... to stop it from destroying the town?"

Seems she's on board by now.

The only way to protect people from threats like these is to enforce ignorance.

What they don't know can't hurt them.

Quite literally.

Mrs DuPree opens up a drawer in her desk, picks up a second tablet, and dashes it against the floor. It hits the floor and shatters into dozens of pieces that go skittering across the ground a bit more energetically than one might expect.

There follows a moment of tense silence.

And then something green happens.

There's a scream from the loading yard outside.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Lot Spookiness]

"A directed energy weapon is not the same thing as a ray gun." Nick mumbles as he snatches his belongings off the table and puts them back in his coat pocket.
    "Come on." Nick says tersely as he head out the door into the loading yard, pistol in hand.

30. - Top - End - #180

[A Lot Spookiness]

Out into the loading yard!

Just as Nick is coming outside he'll spy several workers flying from something that must be behind one those heaps of beets. One of the men glances back over his shoulder and-

ZZOT!

An arc of lurid green lightning strikes him square in the face. He screams and falls, the writhing tether of light clinging tenaciously to his face and keeping his head firmly locked on... something. That Nick hasn't seen.

Yet.

As the man stares into the unearthly glow he begins to shrivel and decay at an alarming rate not terribly dissimilar to what happened to that guy who chose poorly from The Last Crusade. Mrs DuPree watches her factory's 'days without an injury' count drop back to zero with stark, frozen horror.

So.

Looking at the... whatever it is... is apparently bad. Great. Nick knew that already. But this just does a good job of reinforcing it.

Nick can make out the glow of the thing on the other side of the mountain of beets. But it looks like he's going to need some way to kill it without looking at it. Which might be hard.