New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Healing Touch Cantrip Balance

I don't think this needs to be a bonus action spell, as a bonus action it will arguably be more healing than a healing word, it being more comparable to cure wounds. healing is not unlimited so the normal cantrip issue is avoided, also does not replace resting(unless you want warlocks to give you the stink eye). I think the scaling needs playtesting, since it will out pace low level healing spells but also the healing is still a fairly low number compared to monster damage output.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    Often wonder if it would be balanced to create a spell that allows a creature to spend its own hit dice in and out of combat. Especially with all this talk about short and long rest mechanics recently.
    What does everyone thing about this?

Healing Touch

Evocation Cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 bonus action
    Range: Touch
    Components: V

Duration: Instantaneous

A creature of your choice that you can see within range may spend a hit die to heal themselves. The creature must have at least one hit point and hit dice to spend or this spell fails.

The amount of hit dice a creature may spend to heal themselves with this spell increases by 1 when you reach 5th level (2 hit dice), 11th level (3 hit dice), and 17th level (4 hit dice).
    I tend to agree; making it a bonus action cantrip is the breaking point for me. Make it an action, and it seems about right to me.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Could add concentration as a factor as well.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Give it a material component of a healing kit which is consumes,and it might work. Essentially it themes as a spell where you use the spell to enhance the power of an existing healing kit.