New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What Character’s Backstory Was Replaced in OtOoPCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    For example: Sigdi, both figuratively and literally. And Hilgya, maybe.
    It's made crystal clear in Utterly Dwarfed that Sigdi is not a lousy parent. She's very charismatic, and Durkon is very conformist.

But that doesn't make her parenting bad.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-01-04 at 05:48 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It could be argued (and I think Rich made something like this point) that Durkon's complete devotion to her was a large element in his selflesssness and lack of definition as a character. While a child might be so utterly devoted to a bad parent, it's more likely to happen in the case of an awesome one- like Sigdi.

In fact, Sigdi evolved to be a sort of matriarch/ mother substitute/ best friend/ all of the above/ to a huge clan, as we saw at the end of Utterly Dwarfed, who all came to her aid enthusiastically when called. Contrast this to Tarquin, the bad parent, who had to order his friends, make deals, and call in favors to get their help when he needed it, and whose family relations are all, in the end, based on power, not love and respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    In fact, Sigdi evolved to be a sort of matriarch/ mother substitute/ best friend/ all of the above/ to a huge clan, as we saw at the end of Utterly Dwarfed, who all came to her aid enthusiastically when called. Contrast this to Tarquin, the bad parent, who had to order his friends, make deals, and call in favors to get their help when he needed it, and whose family relations are all, in the end, based on power, not love and respect.
    This is also a charismatic good character vs a charismatic evil character. Caring about other people is still a good trait, after all.
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    V is female
    Also not correct.

5. - Top - End - #35

Also not correct.
    The fact is that we know for the word of the author what is V's gender, it only change how you call it in your culture. So arguing it is stupid, IMHO, and in the same time we can see V's gender (or should we say, V's sex?) whatever we see it.

My point is that saying that V is X because Y has no value at all.
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

6. - Top - End - #36

Funny, you would have thought, if that were actually true, then at the very least the Index of the Giant's Comments would have caught wind of it.

7. - Top - End - #37

V is genderqueer, we’ve seen Rich write in a book that it is so, it’s in BRitF, I’m just too lazy to find the place someone transcribed it.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #38

Flumph

V is genderqueer, we’ve seen Rich write in a book that it is so, it’s in BRitF, I’m just too lazy to find the place someone transcribed it.
    Got ya covered. Believe this is what you were referring to. From BRitF, commentary before 918:

"In this way, Tarquin is also symbolic of an older time when stories were likely to be more formulaic or clichéd—and less diverse. It’s no accident that he’s a wealthy old straight white man losing his marbles over the fact that the tale he is experiencing doesn’t focus on the other straight white man at the expense of the black man, the woman, the genderqueer person, and even the Latino guest star."
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-01-04 at 07:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with taking this quote to mean that V is genderqueer is that is also would mean that Julio is Latino, and we know that real world ethnicities don't exist in Ootsworld, so that interpretation can't be correct. It seems to me that the Giant is describing his characters using the real-world terms that most closely resemble their actual identities, not providing definite information about what the characters ethnic or gender identities actually are.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The problem with taking this quote to mean that V is genderqueer is that is also would mean that Julio is Latino, and we know that real world ethnicities don't exist in Ootsworld, so that interpretation can't be correct.
    Not necessarily true. We know Japan doesn't exist in Stickworld. I choose to believe that Latino people in Stickworld are from wherever Julio is from, and the etymologies are unrelated.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The problem with taking this quote to mean that V is genderqueer is that is also would mean that Julio is Latino, and we know that real world ethnicities don't exist in Ootsworld, so that interpretation can't be correct. It seems to me that the Giant is describing his characters using the real-world terms that most closely resemble their actual identities, not providing definite information about what the characters ethnic or gender identities actually are.
    Ao? Tell me that the people from Azure City don’t count as real Asian characters or that Julio doesn’t count as Latino cause it’s a fantasy world and I’ll laugh at you, that’s how I’ll describe their ethnicities because that’s what they are, there’s no real difference between a group of Asian characters in I dunno, the MCU, and a group in OOTS in terms of what they’re ethnicities are. Also Haley is called a woman, does that mean this doesn’t definitely state her gender identity? Of course not, that’d be dumb. Also, if the closest real world term to V’s gender identity is genderqueer, then V is genderqueer, and V definitely isn’t male or female if they’re close to genderqueer than being male or female.
    Also of the varieties of genderqueer V is agender, because that’s the most obvious fit.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ao? Tell me that the people from Azure City don’t count as real Asian characters or that Julio doesn’t count as Latino cause it’s a fantasy world and I’ll laugh at you, that’s how I’ll describe their ethnicities because that’s what they are, there’s no real difference between a group of Asian characters in I dunno, the MCU, and a group in OOTS in terms of what they’re ethnicities are. Also Haley is called a woman, does that mean this doesn’t definitely state her gender identity? Of course not, that’d be dumb. Also, if the closest real world term to V’s gender identity is genderqueer, then V is genderqueer, and V definitely isn’t male or female if they’re close to genderqueer than being male or female.
    Also of the varieties of genderqueer V is agender, because that’s the most obvious fit.
    I think this is basically a semantic distinction without much substance. Would Azurites describe themselves as Asian? No. Would Julio describe himself as Latino? Also no, probably (I can't rule out the possibility that he'd do so while making a Dashing Swordsman quip that broke the fourth wall). And maybe V wouldn't identify as genderqueer, either. As someone who literally does not usually pay attention to pronouns and "forget[s] about these kinds of distinctions," I doubt that hir vocabulary includes such a term (which, to be clear, is something I never thought I'd say about V).

All the same, I'd say that all of the above count as representation for said groups, because they're obviously supposed to correspond to them in the real world (at the bare minimum visually, if not culturally - I wouldn't argue with a Latinx reader who refused to consider Julio Latino because s/he considers the term a cultural one as well as a visual one).

tl;dr: Whether characters in the comic count as "real" Asian/Latino/other Earth-based-term characters largely depends on whether you're thinking of things in-universe or out-of-universe. We may not be able to use those terms to describe their view of themselves, but we can certainly use them to describe them for representational purposes when considering their real-world significance.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #43

Flumph

Also not correct.
    Isn't "female" refers to someone's sex, not their gender?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

While I'm sure that's a view held by some people - opinions about sex and gender terminology vary enormously - it's frequently used to describe gender as well, including by entities such as the American Heritage Dictionary, the World Health Organization and GLAAD.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-01-05 at 05:05 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Haley's secret per strip 309
    Show
    N lkyhc hc bdrnchnfy.
    I cheat at solitaire.
    The detailed scenes in which she did this, and why she did this, may well be what was left out ... and it will have an impact at the last gate!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Not necessarily, but we also have not been told what either V's gender or sex is, so the distinction is unnecessary as it is information we don't have either way.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Alternately, he might just send you directly to jail, like a bolt out of the blue. It'd give you quite an arc.
    I'd like to see the copper try.
    The blue would like you to see the copper try, too; on the off chance you might be prepared for acid instead of electricity.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The blue would like you to see the copper try, too; on the off chance you might be prepared for acid instead of electricity.
    Quit draggin' others into this and conduct yourself!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quit draggin' others into this and conduct yourself!
    Feeling like you've been orchestrated into being typecast?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I think it was less the kids being a shock reveal and more how crappy a parent V is.
    That didn't surprise me at all. It was perfectly in keeping with V's behaviour in the comic.

The only thing that shocked me was the black dragon attacking Inky and the kids. Up to that point, there wasn't any shock.

@Aidan: V clearly implies that s/he couldn't care less about what pronouns people use, which makes it pretty clear that V does not have a gender identity. So we know that.

What we don't know is V's sex.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2020-01-07 at 01:09 PM.