New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Path of the Hurler: A Throwing-focused Barbarian Subclass

Path of the Hurler

Though many barbarian tribes revere close-quarters combat, others encourage a more versatile style of fighting, tossing javelins as distances close, or skirmishing with a spear and shield. These barbarians are often called hurlers, adept at launching their weapons with accuracy and power.

Hurling Adept
    Starting at 3rd level, any Barbarian class features which would effect a melee weapon attack, such as Reckless Attack or the bonus damage from Rage, can also effect a ranged weapon attack made with a thrown weapon using strength.

In addition, you can draw a weapon with the thrown property as a part of the same action you use to attack with it.

Impaling Assault
    Also starting at 3rd level, when you deal a creature piercing damage with a ranged weapon attack using a thrown weapon while raging, the weapon impales the target. A weapon impaling a creature deals that creature 1 point of piercing damage for every 5 feet that creature moves. Creatures without a solid body cannot be impaled.

Any creature can attempt to remove an impaling weapon as a bonus action by grabbing hold of it and pulling it out, an action which is resolved as a melee weapon attack. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage to the creature as the weapon tears loose. If the attack misses the weapon continues to impale the target.

Alternatively, an impaling weapon can be safely removed by any creature in one minute with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (medicine) check.

Hurling Expert
    Starting at 6th level, you can throw weapons and other objects an extra number of feet equal to your strength score +1. This applies to both the normal and long ranges of a thrown weapon.

In addition, double your proficiency modifier for any ability check which requires you to throw an object, such as grappling hooks for climbing, spears and nets for hunting, and many forms of competitive athletics.

Savage Interference
    Starting at 10th level you can attempt to interrupt an enemy's ranged attack with a rapid strike of your own. When a creature you can see makes a ranged attack while you are raging, you can use your reaction to make a weapon attack against that creature. If your attack hits, the triggering attack has disadvantage.

Hurling Master
    Starting at 16th level, the force of your throws can drive your weapons straight through a foe and out the other side, binding it to a nearby object or surface (including the ground). When you impale a creature with a ranged weapon attack and the result of that attack roll exceeds the target's AC by 5 or more, the creature is restrained as long as it is impaled and cannot be moved from the object or surface it's affixed to. A creature not within 5 feet of a solid surface or object cannot be restrained in this way.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2020-05-31 at 11:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Path of the Hurler: A Throwing-focused Barbarian Subclass

I would replace Impalement as lances halberds, and spears only get this benefit, but I would add a return weapon enchantment as part of Raging, as carrying glaives and GreatAxes for ammo would be a burden and you could end up your throwing weapon for your enemy to use.

Also you could name this class “Wulfgar’s Rage”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ogrillian View Post
    but I would add a return weapon enchantment as part of Raging, as carrying glaives and GreatAxes for ammo would be a burden and you could end up your throwing weapon for your enemy to use.
    There are effectively two modes:

A barbarian interested in DPS will throw his weapons using his attack action then immediately close the distance and tear one out as a bonus action: that weapon removal attack is a sneaky way I snuck in extra DPR on a subclass that would have been somewhat lacking due to being limited to d8 weapons. In other words, much of the time you wouldn't want the weapon to return.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I think that you should add to Hurling Master a limitation like "The target must be no more than one size larger than you".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am all for some extra variety on barbarians and this is interesting as you are making a melee heavy class have a ranged sub-class. In my experience the wizard and rogue are never thrilled to see the barbarian behind them throwing missiles, but that could just be my group.

Firstly, I am not a fan of Hurler as the name, but I can't think of a good alternative either. Hurling Adept is amazing though. Allowing rage to affect missile damage is good, but getting advantage from reckless attack at range, where there is a reduced chance of a return attack is huge. It has the potential to remove the downside of reckless attack all together.

I am less enthused about Impaling Assault. I get what you are going for, but for clarity let's compare:

- I get hit with an arrow by a hunter ranger, at 3rd level he probably gets +2 to hit from archery fighting style and possibly a +1d8 damage if I am already hurt from colossus slayer. On my turn I am unhindered and can respond by moving and attacking normally.

- I get hit with a javelin by a hurler barbarian, at 3rd level he gets advantage to hit (approx.+5) and +2 damage from rage from hurler adept. On my turn I take 6 more points of damage if I move 30 feet from the javelin stuck in me or choose not to move. Alternatively, I could lose my action or bonus action(?) pulling out the javelin and still potentially take an additional 1d8 damage?

"Any creature can attempt to remove an impaling weapon as an action by grabbing hold of it and pulling it out, an action which is resolved as a melee weapon attack. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage to the creature as the weapon tears loose. You can attempt remove an impaling weapon as a bonus action."

How does this removal work exactly? Is it a straight d20 roll to beat my AC without pluses even though the weapon is already past my armor and in my body? Is it an action or bonus action to remove it? (The wording is a bit confusing, but I think you meant the latter of the two.) It also isn't clear whether this would continue on further rounds of combat. Say I didn't want to use my bonus action to remove it, do I take more damage from movement on following turns? Is this damage compounded if I'm hit with a second missile from the hurler? (The colossus slayer damage from the hunter ranger is limited to once per turn.)

Either way, it is an unusual mechanic as you never have to worry about the removal of other impaling weapons ever: daggers, arrows, etc. I think this might be too strong an addition at 3rd level on top of hurler adept and makes the ranger less valid as they are generally all about ranged, impaling attacks.
    Skill monkeys, away!