New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Buying The Outer Worlds

I asked for gift cards for multiple reasons for Christmas, one of them being video games. I meant "Visa gift cards I can use on any game site." However, I got a Gamestop gift card. (I play entirely on PC.)

The one game I want is The Outer Worlds, and Gamestop does sell digital keys (for the Epic store) for that game. However, Gamestop never runs sales on their digital downloads, so until the price of the game drops, I'm paying full price minus the amount of the gift card. (That price is slightly lower than the cheapest price I can find on a legit key buying site, Fanatical.)

If I don't use the card, my wife (who has a Switch) said she can use it to get some games for her Switch.

So here is my question... Should I go ahead and use the Gamestop card, or should I hold out in hopes of a good sale somewhere in the not-too-distant future?

(For context, I play almost entirely RPGs and loved FO:NV.)
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Buying The Outer Worlds

Might be worth checking to see if you can (a) use your card to get credit on the Microsoft store and (b) see if it's cheaper there (yes, they sell the PC version as well as the XBox one). I can't check the price myself because I already own the game on the Microsoft store and it doesn't tell me!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, the Microsoft store has Outer Worlds for $45, the same price as the Epic Store.

It's also part of MS's gamepass, which the price of the game would cover for 5 months.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I found Outer Worlds fairly eh. There's nothing wrong with it, in the sense that it all works, but it's just kinda dull. Leveling up brings nothing interesting, loot has a strong tendency to be better versions of stuff you already have - as in same gun, bigger numbers. That's if you're lucky, most of the time it's just the same/worse thing.

Same with plot and characters. A few quests were vaguely interesting in a very obvious rpg way. I liked the first companion ok, but didn't exactly care about rushing out and finding more.

I finished the first world, but it looked like a lot more of the same after that.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    If I don't use the card, my wife (who has a Switch) said she can use it to get some games for her Switch.
    Why not trade the gift card to your wife for equivalent cash value, and then you can buy the game on whatever platform you please?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I found Outer Worlds fairly eh. There's nothing wrong with it, in the sense that it all works, but it's just kinda dull. Leveling up brings nothing interesting, loot has a strong tendency to be better versions of stuff you already have - as in same gun, bigger numbers. That's if you're lucky, most of the time it's just the same/worse thing.

Same with plot and characters. A few quests were vaguely interesting in a very obvious rpg way. I liked the first companion ok, but didn't exactly care about rushing out and finding more.

I finished the first world, but it looked like a lot more of the same after that.
    Honestly I kind of felt the same. I think part of the problem for me is the game is just way too easy and I couldnt really use the hardest difficulty since companions suffer perma death in it and their AI/survivability in that mode isn't exactly stellar. The other problem is it suffers tremendously from RPG town syndrome, you get stuck gathering quests and running around every time you hit a new hub for at least an hour if not more.

As for the original poster, I would recommend grabbing it via the microsoft game pass. The first month costs a dollar and its a relatively short game so that should be enough time to get a playthrough done. If not you're out a single whole dollar and you can choose to buy it outright or do another month of the gamepass.
    Last edited by Inarius; 2020-01-08 at 01:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    The other problem is it suffers tremendously from RPG town syndrome, you get stuck gathering quests and running around every time you hit a new hub for at least an hour if not more.
    I didn't think the towns in Outer Worlds were big enough for that to be the case, as a general rule. Even the big place on Monarch whose name I forget doesn't take long to pick up all the available quests, and most of those quests require you to head out into the wilderness which is where things get more interesting anyway.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Honestly I kind of felt the same. I think part of the problem for me is the game is just way too easy and I couldnt really use the hardest difficulty since companions suffer perma death in it and their AI/survivability in that mode isn't exactly stellar. The other problem is it suffers tremendously from RPG town syndrome, you get stuck gathering quests and running around every time you hit a new hub for at least an hour if not more.
    It definitely suffered from that. I also thought the setting didn't do it many favors, since it didn't make the slightest bit of sense and was pretty bland, but was also taken remarkably seriously by the game, and the player was forced to learn an awful lot about it. So it was just the same old quest design (frequently the same old quests) but with a new wrapper of exceptionally uninteresting lore.

I found Pillars of Eternity to have exactly the same problem, except more so. I don't necessarily mind lore heavy games, but PoE's setting was a perfect storm of being both deeply bland in a lot of ways, but just original enough I had to pay attention to it. It felt like somebody smacking me upside the head with a Forgotten Realms sourcebook every time I talked to anybody, when really all I wanted to know was where to go to kill the foozles to retrieve the thingamajig.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.