New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2020 edition!

Anarchomancer lets you spend xp to take the form of a completely new, rebuilt character. You can reverse the effect at any time. It's pretty powerful.

Hey, that's also another way to become an elan, isn't it? There you are, whoever asked about that, more options.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Anarchomancer lets you spend xp to take the form of a completely new, rebuilt character. You can reverse the effect at any time. It's pretty powerful.

Hey, that's also another way to become an elan, isn't it? There you are, whoever asked about that, more options.
    My bad, I was looking at Arachnomancer. Dang, Anarchomancer 's good, although it is a (Su) ability, so if you use it to become an Elan, live 200 years, and then enter an AMF, some would claim that you immediately die of old age (I personally would think that aging is suspended when you're in a different body). Unless you say the ability has an instantaneous duration, which it might.

Also, with regards to the whole "only level up at the beginning of the year" thing, if you lose levels, you can get them back immediately, right?

And speaking of changing you race, if you get some RHD or something somehow, does that count?
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2020-01-02 at 04:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Also, with regards to the whole "only level up at the beginning of the year" thing, if you lose levels, you can get them back immediately, right?
    You don't have this information when making your decisions.

And speaking of changing you race, if you get some RHD or something somehow, does that count?
    Count as what?

4. - Top - End - #34

Devil

Count as what?
    Count as leveling up. i.e. if I Wish myself into a giant dragon, do I get all of its RHD, or do I need to wait that many years, or what?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Sage again

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Count as leveling up. i.e. if I Wish myself into a giant dragon, do I get all of its RHD, or do I need to wait that many years, or what?
    You don't have this information when making your decisions.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Troacctid: Are you implying you're GMing for all these characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Pathfinder
    Show
    Pathfinder 3PP
    Human(Azlanti): Ranger 2( Dual Sphere Spellsinger replacing Scout and Woodland Spellcaster)

Str 11
    Dex 14
    Con 12
    Int 13
    Wis 17
    Cha 10

Major Drawback: Spell Vulnerability(Enchantment)
    Major Drawback: Nearsighted
    Drawback: Umbral Unmasking
    Drawback: Fey-Taken
    Trait: Unorthodox Casting(Spellsinger:Wis)
    Trait: Natural Ritualist
    Trait: Feral Speech(Druidic)
    Trait: Holy Tattoo
    Flaw: Spell Dabbler
    Flaw: Spell Adept
    First: Adept Progression(SoC)
    Human: Cantrips
    Retrain: Spellcrafting

Prime Creator Unified Tradition
    Alchemy(Panacea)
    Traps
    Trapsmith
    Spell Trap
    Creation: Practiced Creation

Salve

Focus Casting(Holy Symbol), Witchmarked, Rigorous Concentration, Mental Focus, Extended Casting, Somatic Casting, Easy Focus

Sphere Talents
    Nature(Plant): Grow Plants
    Weather
    Severe Weather

Spoiler: 3PP
    Show
    Endless Human
    Human Paragon 1

Str 8
    Dex 10
    Con 11
    Int 15
    Wis 11
    Cha 12

Flaw: Murky Eyed: Laborious Training
    Flaw: Noncombatant: Discipline
    First: University Education
    Taint: Skill Focus(Know:Arcana), Skill Focus(Concentration)
    Dendar: Sculpt Self(All Sanctum Cantrips at will, significant array of low level spells to Druidic taste plus Legendary skill bonus to Know:Arc, Conc, Spellcraft)

Lucid Ritually Evil.

Spoiler: D&D 3.5: Continuation
    Show
    Endless Kobold
    Human Paragon 1/Sorcerer 3

Str 10
    Dex 16
    Con 17
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 21

Flaw: Murky Eyed: Able Learner
    Flaw: Noncombatant: Magical Affinity(None because I was stupid)
    First: Human Heritage
    Dendar: Dragonwrought
    Third: Sculpt Self
    Lucid Shuffle Racial during retrain: Dragon Wings, Dragon Tail

Rebuild to Sorcerer from Bloodline. Retrain to Stalwart Battle. As a True dragon, add idealized Black Dragonspawn Abomination to myself(5 sorc Dex and Con).
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2020-01-04 at 09:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Correct, so you would need something on the scale of *checks notes* an ancient mystical portal with legendary transformative properties, or an interdimensional rift where the universal forces of creation and destruction converge.
    If we assume that magic exists in this world, then there are definitely magical locations that would serve as places to complete quests. Either way, the Rebuilding section makes no mention of needing a magical location for a rebuilding quest, especially for a level 1-3 quest:

"To accomplish a character rebuild, your PC must complete a significant and challenging quest." - Player's Handbook II, page 196

"As long as the changes don't significantly disrupt the game, though, players should play characters that they find enjoyable, and if swapping out a couple of class levels accomplishes that goal, then doing so is well worth the effort." - Player's Handbook II, pages 197-198

The locations you mentioned were examples for "making these locations serve particular needs that suit their ambiance", i.e. to fit the idea of whatever class you're changing to or altering in some way. (Player's Handbook II, page 199) I doubt you really need a big golden light to go from being a scholar to being a warrior of nature.

Who knows, maybe the quest I completed wasn't enough to rebuild, and maybe there's still something I need to do. But I think there's a way in this world to do it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Jopustopin has had a crazy year. What with his sudden crazy good acrobatic abilities and his Otherwordly Countenance he quickly rose to stardom and by December was putting out his first blockbuster movie, Scorcher VII. Voted sexiest man in People's magazine, Jopustopin has put his sudden abilities to good use.

Still, Jopustopin has crazy weird dreams, and has knowledge that he shouldn't have (nor should any man). Occasionally he roams famous libraries trying to discern what this knowledge is...

Then suddenly, Jopustopin gains a level! It's in Warblade and his stunt man abilities get even better...

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Jopustopin
    male middle aged human warblade 2
    CN medium humanoid (human)
    Init -8; Senses spot +1, listen +1
    Languages Common, Ancient Suloise
    AC 11 (+4 armor, -2 Dex, -1 Flaw), Touch 7, Flat-footed 11; Uncanny Dodge
    HP 16/16 (2d12-2)
    Fort +3, Ref -2, Will +1
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee longsword +1 (1d8-1/19-20)
    Ranged dagger +0 (1d4-1/19-20)
    Base Atk +2; Grp +1
    Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 2nd):
    • Stances-Bolstering Voice
    • Strikes-Wolf Fang Strike, Stone Bones
    • Boosts-Sudden Leap
    • Counters-Moment of Perfect Mind

Abilities Str 9, Dex 7, Con 8, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Skills Spellcraft +8, Concentration +4, Jump +4, Tumble +3, Balance +3, Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Local) +2, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Martial Lore +2, Profession (Actor) +4
    Skill Points Spellcraft 5, Concentration 5, Jump 5, Tumble 5, Balance 5, Knowledge (History) 1, Knowledge (Local) 1, Knowledge (the planes) 1, Martial Lore 1, Profession (Actor) 1
    Feats Keeper of Forbidden Lore, Otherwordly Countenance (Beauty), Great Fortitude
    Flaws Unreactive, Vulnerable
    Possessions trusty longsword, dagger, chain shirt, Net Worth ($135,000.00 USA)
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Still going Oracle.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pathfinder allows players to retrain class levels. 3.5 does not, except by visiting special magical locations that probably don't exist on this planet.
    The PHB II specifically says that the two rebuild quest are just examples, and the DM can make campaign appropriate rebuild quests based on the examples given.
    Correct, so you would need something on the scale of *checks notes* an ancient mystical portal with legendary transformative properties, or an interdimensional rift where the universal forces of creation and destruction converge.

Or take the anarchomancer prestige class, I guess.
    Isn't there both the option for "rebuild quest" and "retraining" in 3e? Unless this is just my senility talking again.

Oh, hey, look, I actually found my PH2. Looks like it has both… but, for the most part, only rebuild quests can change your class. And they can also change your race. So Elan (maybe).

Also, I'm not exactly planning on staying on this planet, but, even so, there's things more wondrous than that in the raw creation & destruction of Dream… and I'd imagine that the Birthplace of Universes (D&D/Paizo HQ, or even Hollywood) could (over)qualify. Also, Ed Greenwood's house.

It is possible, yes, following the guidelines laid out in the core rules. Specific spells may or may not work.
    That's fair. My goal is to use a variety of spells to test out the nature of reality.

...Yes.
    Clearly, once we gain sufficient power, we need to storm Paizo/WotC headquarters, and Mindrape / Diplomacy (aka "Mindrape") some custom publications.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    If we assume that magic exists in this world, then there are definitely magical locations that would serve as places to complete quests. Either way, the Rebuilding section makes no mention of needing a magical location for a rebuilding quest, especially for a level 1-3 quest:

"To accomplish a character rebuild, your PC must complete a significant and challenging quest." - Player's Handbook II, page 196

"As long as the changes don't significantly disrupt the game, though, players should play characters that they find enjoyable, and if swapping out a couple of class levels accomplishes that goal, then doing so is well worth the effort." - Player's Handbook II, pages 197-198

The locations you mentioned were examples for "making these locations serve particular needs that suit their ambiance", i.e. to fit the idea of whatever class you're changing to or altering in some way. (Player's Handbook II, page 199) I doubt you really need a big golden light to go from being a scholar to being a warrior of nature.

Who knows, maybe the quest I completed wasn't enough to rebuild, and maybe there's still something I need to do. But I think there's a way in this world to do it.
    It's possible that such things exist, but you probably wouldn't know whether they do or, if they do, where they would be. Not without divination magic or a reasonably high Knowledge DC, at least.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-01-02 at 08:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Devil

a reasonably high Knowledge DC, at least.
    You say DC, I say how high? Because Wieldskill and Skillful Moment are first level spells, and skill-boosting items are cheap.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Put me down for +1 of my current class for both my 3.5 and Pathfinder selves.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

I have always wanted to do this, and after being primarily a lurker for over the first 4 years, I'm finally just going to do it, instead of saying "Man, wish I had done this last year..." So here it goes-

Seeing as how I wouldn't know if this was to ever happen again I wouldn't go the tier 1 Wizard route, instead making use of this crazy spontaneous power up to garner as much as I could right away. The way to do that in this world of business, politics and mass communications is by far and away utilizing some crazy social shenanigans, so that is the direction that I would start off towards, with a little bit of magic sprinkled in.

Firstly I take the elite array and Unsheltered Variant. This gives me the scores of

Str: 11
    Dex: 8
    Con: 10
    Int: 12
    Wis: 9
    Cha: 15

I take 2 Flaws- Inatentive and Slow.
    This nets me a -4 on my Listen and Spot checks and a Base speed of 15'.

This then gives me access to 3 Feats, so I take Spawn of the Dark Prince (15 Cha req.), Nymphs Kiss & Persuasive.
    This gets me +2 on all Cha based checks, +1 vs Spells & Spell-Like-Abilities, +2 on Bluff & Intimidate and with an action an additional +10 on Bluff that lasts 2 minutes. I also get an additional -2 to Spot.

As for my actual class, I dug deep and went with Warlock (my favorite 3.5 class).

My HP would become 6, so I would be 1.5x as hale as common people, which I am good with.
    I'd end up with BAB +0, Fort +0, Ref -1 & Will +1. Not the most amazing, but I'm not aiming for martial or mental prowess.

For Skills I would go with +4 to Bluff, +1 to Intimidate and use the remaining 8 points on Speak language, getting 4 more languages.

My Invocation of choice would be Beguiling Influence, giving me another innate bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate at +6/

For these Languages I would Start with English (My regions common), Spanish (for my Int. bonus) and Mandarin Chinese, Hindustani, Russian and Japanese. These give me a relatively good chance to be understood almost anywhere I go.

This build garners me a +10 to Diplomacy, +12 to Intimidate and +12 to Bluff at a moments notice, but with 6 seconds to prepare my Bluff jumps to +22. I do take a -4 to Listen and a -6 to Spot, but the rewards far outweigh the risks.

I would now be able to bluff, cajole and intimidate my way into and out of just about any situation, traveling the world. Getting rich would be quick, easy and most likely fun. I could run scams, plain old ask people for cash and favors, or even eventually start up my own cult with this sort of silver tongue. If there was any sort of legal trouble, which is unlikely with liberal use of "Hey, you don't want to make a big deal out of this- trust me." in any such tone as I pleased, and most likely talk my out of any convictions if they did happen. And to top all of this crazy off I can shoot untraceable bolts of magic to defend myself in the most dire of cases (which would only help solidify the whole cult angle). All in all one heck of a way to start a new year.

Sorry this post is crazy stupid long. I got really into it.
    Last edited by DungeonUsurper; 2020-01-03 at 12:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonUsurper View Post
    For these Languages I would Start with English (My regions common), Spanish (for my Int. bonus) and Mandarin Chinese, Hindustani, Russian and Japanese. These give me a relatively good chance to be understood almost anywhere I go.
    You get everything you know (including, presumably, English) for free. It just doesn't show up on your character sheet.

18. - Top - End - #48

Devil

I'd swap out Persuasive for Hidden Talent (Conceal Thoughts), or ideally Sculpt Self, because every build is improved by the addition of Sculpt Self, especially skill-focuses builds. I mean, it's not like you were gonna be doing anything else with your xp.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Another level of Cloistered Cleric for me! Looking forward to level 2 spells next year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

20. - Top - End - #50

A new year, a new level!
    Yea! One more level in Pathfinder Summoner (Synthesist 4), please!

New spells: Haste, Invisibility
    Stat Boost: Charisma

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Second level Bard (Pathfinder) for me!
    Now getting a lot of skill points and… (drum roll) versatile Performance!

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

If I remember correctly, I'm Bard 1/Warlock 2. I guess I'll just tack on another Bard level. Inspire Competence will probably be helpful when I get it next year.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

23. - Top - End - #53

I'd swap out Persuasive for Hidden Talent (Conceal Thoughts), or ideally Sculpt Self, because every build is improved by the addition of Sculpt Self, especially skill-focuses builds. I mean, it's not like you were gonna be doing anything else with your xp.
    The few, the proud, the mutinate. Welcome to the team!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Where is Sculpt Self from? My google-fu is weak today.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

25. - Top - End - #55

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Where is Sculpt Self from? My google-fu is weak today.
    Multiple places actually.

It was started in Oathbound Seven third party setting for 3x and later Pathfinder, it's a high powered setting where a god bound locally leaves stray magic in the area allowing people to mutate themselves, so it's a place where Spider-Orc can do whatever a spider can, or you can run into an Elf with claws and fangs.

The version most people are referring to is an adaptation of that feat in Dragon magazine, since it leaves it open for people to enchant themselves as magic items, so any ability one could put in a magic item is up for grabs.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

It's actually OGL, so you can see the article online for free. Here you go: https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Publicatio...Prestige_Races

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Archivist 5.

There's another way to change race btw. Shaper of Form's Modify Self (Renaissance) from Dragon Magazine Compendium, although it's 0 LA and within type only.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Still going Oracle.
    ... and between my real-life savings, snagging a few of the rewards for proof of the supernatural (while disguised!!), and savings via things like Dream Feast to avoid the need to eat, I've got seed money for crafting. A Greater Hat of Disguise makes hiding who I am very easy (and doesn't have the interaction save that a regular Hat of Disguise does), and there's a lot of sports folks who'd pay big bucks for things like a Belt of Physical Might (and do note that strength changes are VERY verifiable). Worried about testing? Just don't wear the belt for an hour before you take the test. It's not chemical, even the lingering aura of the underlying spells will have gone away by that time, and so there should be no traces of any kind in the body at that point.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

In pathfinder? Continue the bard streak. Bard 4, granting me that all crucial second level slot. Suggestion and something else (Gallant Inspiration, maybe?) would be the picks.

For 3.5, retrain the one errant bard level to factotum, if possible, and take another in factotum. Gets me int to several things, a second spell, but no level 2 spells yet. Next year, dammit.
    LGBTA+itP

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

At this point, I'm Monk [Beastsoul Monk (the Spheres of Power archetype) | Monk of the Four Winds] I've got some cool shapeshifting powers and will become immortal in another 15 years/levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.