New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Etiquette question: Spoilers and streaming things that drop as a season?

What's the general theory around this board on spoiler warnings on things that drop a season at a time on a streaming service?

I historically haven't had any streaming services so have stayed out of those threads entirely since they weren't for shows I watched, but my dad got Amazon Prime and we were both already watching The Expanse before it moved to Amazon, so now I'm in the position of having seen some, but not all, of the new season so far and am wondering how the spoiler policies work around here for shows like that where episodes are released in a clump.

I would prefer that this thread talk just about how spoiler policies work rather than include specific spoilers for anything itself.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Etiquette question: Spoilers and streaming things that drop as a season?

IMHO it's good form to spoiler anything about the show for the first 2, maybe 3 weeks it's out. This allows multiple concurrent discussions to take place dependent on what part of the series someone is at instead of people feeling "left out" of a discussion entirely due to the main talkers in the thread having binged the whole series in a day.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Etiquette question: Spoilers and streaming things that drop as a season?

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    What's the general theory around this board on spoiler warnings on things that drop a season at a time on a streaming service?

I historically haven't had any streaming services so have stayed out of those threads entirely since they weren't for shows I watched, but my dad got Amazon Prime and we were both already watching The Expanse before it moved to Amazon, so now I'm in the position of having seen some, but not all, of the new season so far and am wondering how the spoiler policies work around here for shows like that where episodes are released in a clump.

I would prefer that this thread talk just about how spoiler policies work rather than include specific spoilers for anything itself.
    Personally I tend to spoiler-block with labels by default.

Spoiler: Reason (not a spoiler)
    Show
    Because this site makes it really easy to do so. Highlight text, click the spoiler button, bam.

So it's really easy to put something behind an "Episode 7" label or something, if you just got to the part where it's revealed that the pizza guy from episode 2 was manipulating the WHOLE THING!

Edit: I should also note that I always use the spoiler labels because
    Spoiler
    Show
    Things like this
    Spoiler
    Show
    Things like that
    are really hard to follow when there's multiple lines of conversations going on.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2020-01-03 at 01:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The decent thing is naturally to spoiler anything as long as it is relevant. I don't think we can set a date on it.

Not everyone has the ability to watch streamed stuff (don't tell me how GoT ends) and if you enjoyed something maybe you want to make sure someoen else can enjoy it like you did?

In the re-reading Wheel of Time thread we all spoiler stuff, heck it's 70% spoilers for the guy re-reading the series even though it's years ago.

In the main comic forum people do still spoiler stuff from in-print only material that hasn't been on the web.

And yes I think it's a very very good idea to label the spoilers. But man am I lazy...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I thought the forum rules had a more precise guideline, but it states this
    Quote Originally Posted by forum rules
    Spoilers Outside of a Spoiler Thread or Not Under Spoiler Tags
    Some posters can't see a movie the day it comes out or read that book the day it comes out. So please either mask spoilers with the appropriate tags or post a thread with [spoiler] in the title if you wish to discuss something that people may or may not wish to view due to spoilers.
    The webcomics discussion thread has some guidelines, but those are for far shorter works than books or movies. I would consider it appropriate to spoiler stuff for at least a week, maybe a few weeks, unless the thread itself is explicitly noted as containing spoilers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

My feeling (and, note, this is not me wearing my Mod Hat; this is Mark the poster, giving an opinion), I'd say good form is 1 week per episode dropped. So, The Witcher, with it's 8 episode season? I'd say after 8 weeks, you can get a little bit fast and loose with the spoilers. Not everyone has seen it, no, but once it's been around that long, it's increasingly "I have chosen not to, or have a really rough schedule, and so need to be aware that people will talk about it).

But I've also seen people in the aughts complain about spoilers on The Empire Strikes Back, which was more than 20 years old at that point.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.