New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIV

Coincidentally, Zophiel and Jason were transformed by the same person - and they're both stuck that way. Thanks to the magic of curse removal, however, Zophiel is no longer 'cursed' by it.

Unfortunately, the paladin Zophiel isn't aware of this coincidence and is only worried about making it back to Vigil - and maybe buying new clothes and some food because she knows this is going to take a while to fix. Well, that's not her only worry: she's also worried that Cleo would notice - because she's already going to have to explain it to her all later, having to explain part of it now would - in Zophiel's imagination - just bring up more questions...like 'why's your shadow still normal', and teasing like 'this seems to happen to you a lot' and so on. Plus, she's also worried about getting distracted or side-tracked or getting involved in a random encounter or whatever which could just make things worse for her.

She passes right by Jason as Jason enters - "Excuse me," she says, getting out of the way and passing by. Luckily, she can still see past the mens' clothes that are in her arms: there's not that many of them. So she can see and properly avoid running into people as she speed-walks across the tavern.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ghost in the Playground

Random Encounter

Well, as the elf warrior quite gruesomely demonstrated, that was exactly what Pania was waiting for. She was angry, really angry, but not blinded by it as of the moment. Rushing out was just clearly an act of suicide.

A swirling mist of sea-green psionic energy was gathering around Pania now, swirling in unpredictable patters with her at the centre, eyes aglow. That anger threatened to overflow but she pulled it back in, and this when she let it out again it was directed. Her hands came together and her arms pushed outwards, sending a projectile of concentrated force flying through the air out the door towards the fiery figure. Let's see how well he could take (or dodge) a hit.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Jason is startled a bit by the other woman passing by. She turns, scoots out of the way, and takes in the bundle of men's clothes in Zophiel's arms and the male shadow the other woman has. "Excuse me? This is a sort of personal question, but are you cursed? Do you know anyone I could see to get a curse removed?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #64

Zophiel, upon realizing she's being talked to, turns. "Oh. Um...I...Yes? Well..." Well, it's complicated. She glances over at the door, then at the combat that's going on, then back at Jason. "I was, but then it got removed," but is still a woman. Realizing that if it's a similar curse that this woman's afflicted by, and that it could be implied that the curse changed Zophiel into a man and she just changed back, she tries to clarify - unhelpfully - "Yeah, it was a sex-changing curse. Luckily I was at the Temple of Inari so one of the priestesses was able to remove it."

She points across the room to the mirror-portal. "You can get there through there."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

That seems... Rather convenient. "Really? Thank you!" Jason had always wondered what that mirror was for. Decoration, she assumed. She walks over to the mirror, catching sight of her reflection in it. She still can't deny that she looks good, but she'd rather be back to normal. "I just step through? Or is there a trick to it?"

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #66

Yeah, it is pretty convenient.
    Maybe it's a huge set-up, or something. That's the only explanation for how convenient it is.

"Yeah," Zophiel responds. "Just step through."

The paladin glances back at the door again. "Hey, I've...I've got to go. Good luck." With that wish, Zophiel continues her trek out the door.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks again!" With that finished, Jason looks at the mirror again, prepares herself, and steps through.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #68

Spoiler: The Job
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    A Job Offer

The Yordle gives a nod, big ears flopping a bit as she does so. "Aye. We'll be lookin' into why the critters have been encroaching upon civilized territory and attackin' folks. There haven't been any lives lost so far, but we at least know it ain't rabies." She gives a frown, reaching out to snag her next tankard of ale and finish the entire thing off in one smooth go. "I'm the closest thing to a naturalist out in some parts so I was tasked with checking things, but I gotta get some fresh specimens in order to test or examine anything. Jungle heat is not conducive towards the preservation of corpses." She says with a shake of her head, once again causing her ears to flop a bit. With a sigh she hops off her stool, standing much much shorter than the others present and tosses a small pouch of coin to the bar to pay for her drinks. "We head on out in a couple hours. Do yer prep work an' expect to be camping out in the field for a week or so. It'll take us a fair bit to get to the afflicted region. The APC will be waitin' out front." She promises, signalling the Meowrine at the doorway to go get it prepped.

"Oh, right, they call me Master Melinda, but call me Mally or O'Mally or Melly. Anythin' is fine."
    She gives a deep bow, or as deep of one that someone of such a small stature could give.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [A Job Offer]

"I already have everything I need," Arinema says. "I'm ready to leave whenever the rest of you are."
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Something driving the animals out of their natural home, it sounds like. But what?
    That's the mystery.
    "Right. Well, I'll need to pick up a few things before a trip into a jungle. Name's 'Tao'. Meet you outside."
    Never been to a jungle before. They were all before his time. Just fantastic storybook places like rivers or candy mountains. But apparently in the Nexus they're real.

The warrior nods and turns back to the bar where he picks up his bag and Earthbreaker.

"I also need to pick something up." he says. "I will meet you at this APC."

With that he will go and buy the things he need.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

A Job Offer

"Roighty-ho!" Mally says, grinning before bowing. "Meet ya all there. In two hours we'll be leaving with or without ya." She reiterates as she heads out front. They'll be given time to make their preparations, and the APC is waiting right out front. It is an ugly vehicle, angular and matte black. It was made for combat, and the rear hatch is opened up for loading and inside there are two of those "Marines" asleep in their seats along one side. Each has a bit of light armor and helmets, and like all grizzled soldiers they looked like they were sleeping peacefully. And their purring snores were incredibly cute.

For her part, Mally is at the drivers' wheel, large sunglasses on her face as she runs through a pre-drive checklist.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

In an hour and a half, Tao shows up, his white leather packing brimming with new supplies.
    He climbs into the APC and, figuring those meowrines have the right idea, pulls a blanket over himself to try to get some rest on the trip.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #71

The Fighter will arrive just a few minutes befor they take off. The only difference is a bagpack, which looks rather tiny related to the mens size. His weapon is also not visible. He will step on the APC as well, but he doesn't hide his sceptic expression about the vehicle.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fools, wretches, scum. This world has become so full of such worthless stinking idiots since Malice’s glory days. Civilians and non-combatants were practically unheard of in that era, but now we have cities of them! A putrid cityscape in the skies, a rotten city by the river, and an especially filthy urban blight at the world’s center. Maybe a purge was in order. A good war or two, one or more of these cities conquered by iron-hearted dictators, and the weak culled for daring to pollute this world with their soft minds and fragile bodies. Yes, yes, and we could start with that imbecile who nearly hit us with their car seven minutes ago, and work our way down the list from there.

”God, I am so sick of this, Raz. Every time it feels like my luck is going to change, snap! The jaws of deadtime claim another victim. Do you think it’s me, maybe? Is it something I’m doing wrong?” a red-robed cyborg asks, staring glumly down at his drink. It’s been a while since he’s been seen around here, so just as a reminder, Malice has brass cyborg bits, more or less the same menacing half-machine visage as the notorious Lord Magtok, and a scowl without equal in this mortal realm. On the opposite end of his table, the disembodied head of Grigori Rasputin floats in a jar of science goop. The jar itself has a series of spindly mechanical spider legs attached to it, which are currently struggling to find a way to sit comfortably on the high chair Malice specifically requested for his infant-sized comrade. You know, I’m not really sure if he ordered the kiddie chair to help out Rasputin, to demean him, or to just keep his gross little spider legs from scuttling along the table. The Mad Monk hasn’t any idea either, and that ambiguity is beyond frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Hatter Encounter]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Another tavern-goer rises up to the occasion, downing a frothing mug of Trogbreu before drawing a sword at her side. The woman is tall and quite well-built for an elf, with chestnut colored hair set back in a tight ponytail. Scars dance along her rugged flesh, curling around an angular chin and prominent cheekbones. A suit of leather armor obscures much of her body save for her shockingly muscular arms, which are exposed at the elbow. A thin metal breastplate offers additional protection, and a pair of thick trousers descend into tall, fur-lined boots. A cloak falls from her shoulders.

She glances back towards Pania and Cleo before scoffing. "Well, what are you fools waiting for?!" With a confident laugh, she rushes out towards the tavern's exit, leaping through a window and rolling into a dead sprint towards the pyrokinetic laying siege to the bar.

As she draws closer, she raises her sword up into the air! Runes along the sides glow proudly as she shouts out, "By the Goddess, I strike you down!"
    --
    The blade is lowered with great speed, but not fast enough. With a savage growl, the pyrokinetic clenches both of his bandage-covered hands into fists, causing a globe of superheated air to burst out from him. The air blinds the elven warrior, burning at her skin and licking away patches of flesh. She screams, and her sword clatters at her side.

Capitalizing upon her mistake, the pyrokinetic grabs at her face, ramming superheated thumbs into exposed eye-sockets. In seconds, the elf's head is melted away entirely, flesh and bone dripping down onto the pavement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meowmai View Post
    Well, as the elf warrior quite gruesomely demonstrated, that was exactly what Pania was waiting for. She was angry, really angry, but not blinded by it as of the moment. Rushing out was just clearly an act of suicide.

A swirling mist of sea-green psionic energy was gathering around Pania now, swirling in unpredictable patters with her at the centre, eyes aglow. That anger threatened to overflow but she pulled it back in, and this when she let it out again it was directed. Her hands came together and her arms pushed outwards, sending a projectile of concentrated force flying through the air out the door towards the fiery figure. Let's see how well he could take (or dodge) a hit.
    Waiting for an opportunity to not get horribly burned, of course.
    Dead so quickly. What a terrible shame. Poor stupid elf.

Most things could be burned up by him before they get close.
    Magic sources the heat, so normal firefighting will be useless, although covering him in water could still be effective.
    And we don't want to interfere with Pania's attacks.

Cleo twirls her fingers and is suddenly holding a heavy needle, the tip shining green for a moment as she throws it at the pyromancer. Should it prick someone, it'll start turning them to stone. A little bit. Not enough to make a whole human into a statue, but you might lose a hand or have your skin too stiff to move easily.
    Then she takes a few quick steps away form the psionic. Spread out. More targets.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

[A Job Offer]

Arinema shows up shortly as well, though it really does look like she didn't need much more than she had. The appearance of the marines perplexes her somewhat, but then, it's hardly the weirdest thing she's seen.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

A person stumbles into the bar. At least, an observer probably hopes its a person and not some horrific monster. It's a large, human-sized insectoid creature covered in swirling splotches of blue and green. It walks on two of its six limbs, and is clothed in a white silken garment which covers its abdomen and thorax, and provides long, drooping sleeves for its limbs, and gaps along the sides for spiracles and in the back for a pair of sturdy elytra. Its head is reminiscent of a huge wasp or mantis, with a pair of feathery antennae. To one of them is clipped a small plastic device, and a similar device is tied on a silk cord around its neck. It seems to know what a bar is, however, takes a seat away from all the humans, and waits to be served.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #76

The elven barmaid known as Paige walks up to the large insect.

"Hey there, big guy," she says, winking at the insect and fishing for a larger tip afterwards. "Do you already know what you want, or are you still looking?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

As the barmaid speaks, the box on the insect's antenna makes a buzzing, clicking noise. After the sound stops, the insect then begins buzzing its elytra and clicking its jaws, and the box around its neck emits words in a mechanical, vaguely feminine voice. "I forgive your confusion, but I am a female, not a 'guy.'" The translator doesn't catch any emotional tone. It's hard to say exactly how irritated the insect is about the barmaid's mistake. "Do you have grain alcohol? I cannot read your listings." She probably means the menu.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    As the barmaid speaks, the box on the insect's antenna makes a buzzing, clicking noise. After the sound stops, the insect then begins buzzing its elytra and clicking its jaws, and the box around its neck emits words in a mechanical, vaguely feminine voice. "I forgive your confusion, but I am a female, not a 'guy.'" The translator doesn't catch any emotional tone. It's hard to say exactly how irritated the insect is about the barmaid's mistake. "Do you have grain alcohol? I cannot read your listings." She probably means the menu.
    Paige nods. "Oh, it's no problem. I don't mind," she says.

"By the way, I'm Paige. I'll be your server today."

She moves around next to he insect so she can get pretty close up next to her and look over the menu. She bends over. Her finger traces down the menu. "You mean, like, beer, right?" she asks. Her finger reaches the 'beers and more' section.

"So we've got Archon Ale, Guilders' Ale, Balthor's Best, Grim Brewery Ginger Beer, and Mind Flayer Mead."

She pauses. "If you ask me, I'd recommend either Archon Ale or Guilders'."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

The insect nods. It's a human gesture she's managed to pick up. Most of the beverage names are partly or wholly untranslatable, which doesn't help. However, the gist of some of those comes through. Although mead isn't a grain alcohol, but that's beside the point. The buzzing starts again, then the translation. "I am called Green-Blue-Spots. I will take the Guild Ale. What is the price?"

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #80

"The first one's on the house," Paige says, before adding - in case the translator doesn't get that phrase - "free. After the first, it's <appropriate price>, in whichever currency you have available. Don't worry, sweetie, we can handle the conversion."

She stands up straight and smiles again. "I'll have that right out for you."

She leaves to go grab the drink, and...
    Shortly afterwards, she comes out with the drink. "Here you go, enjoy! Is there anything else I can help you with, Green-Blue-Spots?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Green looks curiously at the glass. It doesn't seem familiar to her. "I require a drinking tubule." Does she mean a straw? Her mouthparts definitely don't look compatible with drinking from a glass. "Do you have," the next word is untranslatable, "?" It's probably a foodstuff, but what sort?

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #82

"I can get you a straw," Paige says. She signals to one of the other waitresses to bring a straw over here, and so she can stay here to get the other thing that was asked for.

Then, "I'm sorry? I didn't get what that word is. What is it made from?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Green takes the straw and uses it to sip from the glass. At the same time, she launches into a barrage of untranslatable terms, before making a frustrated gesture and trying again, much more slowly. "Do you have small, edible insects? Rolled in flour and roasted."

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #84

Paige thinks, and taps her mouth as she thinks.

"Would crickets work?" she asks. "We recently received an order of crickets." Paige wasn't really sure why they did, and suspects it was mistakenly ordered. See, this is why they usually have Zee go out to buy the groceries but she's come back empty-handed three times in a row recently so they had to order it to be delivered.

...and they received crickets instead.

If crickets work, based on the description, she can go have Cosmo make them. Sure, he'll complain about cooking crickets, but he always does.

If getting roasted crickets is fine, she'll go tell Cosmo how the customer wants them cooked.

Of course, some time later, Paige is back, delivering the meal. "Here you go."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

"I will try these krrr'ktz," Green replies. It's clear the word "cricket" was as untranslatable to her as the food she described was to Paige.

The food is brought out.

Green samples one of the roast crickets carefully. "This is good. It is not exactly what I was looking for, but it is close."

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "I will try these krrr'ktz," Green replies. It's clear the word "cricket" was as untranslatable to her as the food she described was to Paige.

The food is brought out.

Green samples one of the roast crickets carefully. "This is good. It is not exactly what I was looking for, but it is close."
    Paige smiles. "Glad you like it," she says.

Then, she adds, "If you ever find a good translation for what you wanted, feel free to tell us and we'll order it special."

"If you need anything else, just say so and I'll be right over." The NPC elf then goes off to help someone else.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Girl's Toilets

In the back of one of the cubicles, where there should be an actual toilet, is instead a crack. It's a large crack, running from floor to ceiling, and wide enough that somebody could fit through it. There's no light coming through the crack, but there is a slight breeze wafting out of it. The air smells musty, old and dry- which it shouldn't, for whilst Trog's rarely makes logical sense, this wall should lead outside.

The question now is, who's brave enough to squeeze through it when it's found?
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Wow that was weird," Zee mutters as she finishes up the riveting task of dusting the tavern. No one had been in here for about a month! Crazy stuff, really.

Chances are most of the customers probably wouldn't notice. As far as they were concerned they were still coming here. It just wasn't here here. If that makes any sense?

Zee crouches down behind the counter to put away the cleaning supplies, only to pop back up when she hears a knock on the other side. Peeking over the counter she finds herself staring back at the wide, colorful eyes of a mint-green unicorn. "Hey, one of the toilets in the little mare's room is gone."

Zee does her best to parse this information.

"Gone like... someone stole the toilet?" she asks quizzically.

"No, like there's a big crack in the wall and floor where it was. Smells musty instead of sewery," the pony helpfully clarifies. "Maybe it fell in?"

"Reality finally starts working again and already things are falling through the cracks," Zee signs as she thanks the equestrian and heads into the bathroom. She eyes the crack suspiciously. "You had better not be full of mummies," she warns the fissure.

The crack probably isn't going to reply. She'll peer down it, though. And pull an acorn out of her pocket, ignite the thing like a tiny star, and drop it down the hole.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Little Mare's Room

An acorn is dropped! It doesn't help much, as the crack narrows quite a bit, and the acorn can't illuminate much. The crack is in a stone wall, probably granite, polished smooth out of living stone. Eventually it rolls into a large chamber, well decorated and opulent, or so it seems; the other end of the crack appears to emerge from behind a four-poster bed.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

30. - Top - End - #90

Some time after her current scenes are wrapped up, but before starting her upcoming ones

Zophiel comes back into the tavern - actually, it's her first time here if you don't count using it as a shortcut to and from the Temple of Inari.

She is tall...for a woman, but nowhere near as big and tall as she was as a man - as evidenced by her shadow, which is much too large and masculine for her. Due to certain encounters, she has decided to bring along one of her too-large swords. She's brought the bloodred-and-black one. And! She took advantage of the break to actually buy probably-sensible-for-this-weather clothes!
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.