New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Rocket Racoon

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Rocket Racoon

I actually like Rocket Racoon because he's fearless, have a rude and nasty loudmouth and he likes duct tape. I'm surprised that Rocket isn't evil. I know there are some heroes who are jerks but they turn out to be good. I'm sure I'm the only one who noticed about Rocket.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Rocket Racoon

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I actually like Rocket Racoon because he's fearless, have a rude and nasty loudmouth and he likes duct tape. I'm surprised that Rocket isn't evil. I know there are some heroes who are jerks but they turn out to be good. I'm sure I'm the only one who noticed about Rocket.
    Those are literally his defining features, why are you sure only you noticed them?

Rocket isn't evil in the same way Belkar isn't; he is. He just works for the good guys. If he was fourth wall breaking he would probably say he does it for the plot armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Those are literally his defining features, why are you sure only you noticed them?

Rocket isn't evil in the same way Belkar isn't; he is. He just works for the good guys. If he was fourth wall breaking he would probably say he does it for the plot armour.
    I only notice that "Rocket is a jerk but not evil" thing. Maybe I was living under a rock for a long time.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-01-06 at 03:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

[a brawl takes place between Drax and Rocket]
    Drax the Destroyer : This vermin speaks of affairs he knows nothing about!
    Rocket Raccoon : That is true!
    Drax the Destroyer : He has no respect!
    Rocket Raccoon : That is also true! Keep callin' me vermin tough guy, you just want to laugh at me like everyone else!
    Peter Quill : Rocket, you're drunk, all right? No one's laughing at you.
    Rocket Raccoon : [points at Drax] He thinks I'm some stupid thing! He does!
    [starts to cry]
    Rocket Raccoon : Well, I didn't ask to get made! I didn't ask to be torn apart and put back together over and over and turned into some little monster!
    Peter Quill : Rocket, no one's calling you a monster...
    Rocket Raccoon : He called me vermin! She called me rodent! Let's see if you can laugh after five or six good shots in your freakin' face!
    [draws a gun]
    Peter Quill : No no no! Four billion units! Rocket, come on man, suck it up for one more lousy night and we're rich.
    Rocket Raccoon : Fine, but I can't promise when all of this is over I'm not going to kill every last one of you jerks.
    Peter Quill : See, this is exactly why none of you have any friends!
    Now compare this to the fantastical literature of yore.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise Lost X, lined 743 to 745 of Book 10
    (Adam to his creator after the Judgement)
    Did I request thee, Maker, from my Clay
    To mould me Man, did I sollicite thee
    From darkness to promote me?
    Now I do not want to talk about Paradise Lost I am just pointing out the origin of those 3 lines and how it will be the thesis statement for arguably one of the first sci Fi novels of all time. What novel am I referring to? I am referring to Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein where those 3 lines are the introduction to her Modern Prometheus in the first edition of the book.

Rocket, like us humans, are trapped between animals and the heavens. We like animals have “sensitive souls” possessing at least four traits that allow us to suffer and those are: mobility, sensation, growth, and reproduction. But raised up animals such as humans, Frankenstein’s monster, and Rocket Raccoon we also have thoughts and reflections and thus we suffer more pain than animals can for we can imagine the future and the past and thus our anxiety and pain is not limited to this time and place. We are not just capable of pain we are now capable of suffering and have very limited control of stopping this suffering for these same gifts that give us thoughts and reflections are the same tools that cause us to suffer beyond experiencing temporary pain, now experiencing temporal pain.

—————

One way humans fight this suffering is with social connections and social bonds, to feel not alienated, to feel not alone.

Now imagine if we were Frankenstein’s monster, or Rocket Raccoon and all our first experiences is being alone. And when not alone we were poked, prodded, experimented on, tortured, pushed away, etc.

Who is the true monster in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, this is both an Int and Wis check!

[So yes Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is one of the first Sci-Fi novels but it is also Romantic literature. Romantic in the sense that Modern Society may cause alienation and the lack even if it brings us technological marvels. The Age of Enlightment may be beautiful, but we need multiple foods in our diets and without this diversity we may suffer from a lack of a key something which Romanticism was trying to reconnect with.]
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Now compare this to the fantastical literature of yore.

Now I do not want to talk about Paradise Lost I am just pointing out the origin of those 3 lines and how it will be the thesis statement for arguably one of the first sci Fi novels of all time. What novel am I referring to? I am referring to Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein where those 3 lines are the introduction to her Modern Prometheus in the first edition of the book.

Rocket, like us humans, are trapped between animals and the heavens. We like animals have “sensitive souls” possessing at least four traits that allow us to suffer and those are: mobility, sensation, growth, and reproduction. But raised up animals such as humans, Frankenstein’s monster, and Rocket Raccoon we also have thoughts and reflections and thus we suffer more pain than animals can for we can imagine the future and the past and thus our anxiety and pain is not limited to this time and place. We are not just capable of pain we are now capable of suffering and have very limited control of stopping this suffering for these same gifts that give us thoughts and reflections are the same tools that cause us to suffer beyond experiencing temporary pain, now experiencing temporal pain.

—————

One way humans fight this suffering is with social connections and social bonds, to feel not alienated, to feel not alone.

Now imagine if we were Frankenstein’s monster, or Rocket Raccoon and all our first experiences is being alone. And when not alone we were poked, prodded, experimented on, tortured, pushed away, etc.

Who is the true monster in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, this is both an Int and Wis check!

[So yes Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is one of the first Sci-Fi novels but it is also Romantic literature. Romantic in the sense that Modern Society may cause alienation and the lack even if it brings us technological marvels. The Age of Enlightment may be beautiful, but we need multiple foods in our diets and without this diversity we may suffer from a lack of a key something which Romanticism was trying to reconnect with.]
    What in the name of Orcus are you even talking about?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What in the name of Orcus are you even talking about?
    Okay let’s try this again, but from a new angle.

Using spoiler blocks for I want to link an image.

Spoiler: You do recognize these 3 MCU characters have a similar story right?
    Show

Aka what unites Nebula, Winter Soldier / Bucky, and Rocket is they had no say in the causes of the fates which made them who they are today. There was no choice, only consequence, you did not get to select the cause that lead to the effect that you have to bear with.

-----

*Wraps it back around*

Frankenstein, a normal human-like-being with the only difference being his parental origin and his physical appearance.

Rocket Raccoon, a normal human-like-being with the only difference between his parental origin and his physical appearance.

Frankenstein and Rocket are characters with which we “encounter the Stranger” / “the alien” / “the other” and we learn that in reality they are similar, if not identical to us and the pain we see in our own hearts but did not have words to describe with.

Spoiler: Or put another way
    Show

Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Okay let’s try this again but from a new angle.

Using spoiler blocks for I want to link an image.

Spoiler: You do recognize these 3 MCU characters have a similar story right?
    Show

Aka what unites Nebula, Winter Soldier / Bucky, and Rocket is they had no say in the causes of the fates which made them who they are today. There was no choice, only consequence, you did not get to select the cause that leads to the effect that you have to bear with.

-----

*Wraps it back around*

Frankenstein, a normal human-like-being with the only difference being his parental origin and his physical appearance.

Rocket Raccoon, a normal human-like-being with the only difference between his parental origin and his physical appearance.

Frankenstein and Rocket are characters with which we “encounter the Stranger” / “the alien” / “the other” and we learn that in reality they are similar, if not identical to us and the pain we see in our own hearts but did not have words to describe with.

Spoiler: Or put another way
    Show

That makes a lot more sense.