New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: 3.5 Boss Tree Monster - Looking for feedback, please. UPDATED

The regeneration is most likely only going to be for flavour (n.b. overcome by slashing weapons unless hibernating as well as rooted), so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Compared to other creatures around his CR Mournfallow doesn't have a lot of offensive power but does have a lot of durability, which is good for your purposes (i.e. making him into an NPC ally).

Under the spell-like abilities section you could change black vinesto black roots and say "only while rooted".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

That's a good point. Added the Regen 5/fire & slashing while Rooted and upped his Hibernation Regen to 10/fire.

Think Im goin to leave rapid magic for now though, I like the feel of it better over Quicken Black Roots.

Thanks every one so much for all the feed back! The moment of truth is coming closer and closer; after last weekends session they will run into this guy 3 maybe 4 sessions from now.

So friggin excited!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Have fun! Remember to edit the save DCs, skill points etc though.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

It now has 15 hit dice so it gets 6 regular feats.

You should probably clean up your original post so that everything is in a spoiler but the creature.

It doesn’t need regen as it is probably powerful enough.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Have fun! Remember to edit the save DCs, skill points etc though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    It now has 15 hit dice so it gets 6 regular feats.

You should probably clean up your original post so that everything is in a spoiler but the creature.

It doesn’t need regen as it is probably powerful enough.

Debby
    Alrighty!

I have fixed the save DCs based on the plant subtype.

I have calculated and spent his skill points appropriate to his Hit Die. The only weird one I kept was his Hide thing (-4/+12 in Forests) which seemed a good flavor choice because he's a big ass tree!

Added Two Feats to make the six:

Insightful Reflexes (CAd) Add Int mod to Reflex Saves. ( I figure he knows he's slow so he is experienced and smart about positioning to avoid as much as possible.)
    Precise Swing (Eberron) Melee Attacks ignore Partial cover. (I like the flavor that hiding half assed from him does nothing, he's just too massive!)

Tidied up the post and put all the work up into one Spoiler block.

I really like the flavor of him getting regen while rooted but I tend to agree with you that it shifts the CR which I ultimately don't want. I switched it to fast healing 2 while rooted in sunlight, making it mostly about flavour of it drawing healing energies from the earth and light because ... well ... he's a plant.

If anyone sees anything I'm missing: call it out!
    Last edited by BasilicaNero; 2020-01-23 at 02:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Boss Monster - UPDATED Mournfallow, the Great Tree

Statistics Block
    -Attack bonus with claws should be +13 ( +11 BAB +6 Str -4 size)

-Attack bonus with rock should be +13 (as above, using Str instead of Dex via brutal throw) or +14 (+1 racial bonus for rock throwing)

-Constriction damage should be same damage as claw attack (effectively doubling claw damage)

-If you keep outsider traits you need an explanation in the writeup (same for all special attacks and qualities except the darkvision, low-light vision, plant traits, and spell resistance). Add Improved Grab.

-Spell resistance should be at least 17 (CR+5), better if at least 20 (HD+5)

-Reflex save should be +9 :D

-Skills should = HD + 3 + ability modifier, so Use Magic Device should be +21

-Synergistic skills (e.g. Diplomacy, Spellcraft, Survival, Use Magic Device) should be base ranks + ability modifier + 2 synergy bonus, so you should have:

Diplomacy +5
    Spellcraft +22 (+24 scrolls)
    Survival +5 (+7 aboveground or other planes)
    Use Magic Device +21 (+23 scrolls)

Writeup
    -Arrange entries alphabetically, and add Constrict, Improved Grab, and Outsider Traits entries.

-Make sure anything here matches the statistics block e.g. you have differing damage for the rock-throwing.

-Save DCs are usually 1/2 HD + Cha (for supernatural attacks) or Con/Str (for exceptional attacks) modifier. So, Baleful Teleport should be DC 20 and Roots should be DC 23.

-Final advice: delete the Constriction and Improved Grab entirely. The Snatch feats already serve that purpose, as does the black vines effect.

Hope your PCs enjoy! The model is gorgeous and you've crafted quite a flavourful NPC - hope they befriend it :)