New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Superhero Movies Are More Than Just Flashy Special Effects

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    I think it might be worthwhile to consider a distinction between art and entertainment in regards to movies. While I don't think there's necessarily always a clear distinction between these two types of movies, I consider it generally true that you can draw a useful distinction for purposes of thinking about movies.

Entertainment movies are ones meant to be engaged with while they're on the screen and generally aren't intended to have any deeper meaning or message in them other than what can be clearly understood from a naive observation of surface-level events.

Art movies are ones meant to be engaged with after the movie ends. Where there is an intended meaning or messages that may not be immediately clear and may ultimately involve things like unreliable narrators or metaphors that may be unclear during an initial viewing. They're meant to be analyzed in some fashion or discussed with others to get a fuller understanding.

I think the goal of superhero movies tends to be much more about the former than that latter. And it seems to me that award shows tend to bias towards the latter variety.
    That's very true. Award shows tend to be very prejudice against superhero movies. As everybody else mentions awards prefer more sophisticated movies with the class to get nominated.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Birdman won Best Picture. And while that wasn't a traditional superhero film, it also wasn't not a superhero film.

But the differences between that and, say, Endgame, are the differences between a film that the Oscars will take serious interest in and one they won't.

The two "straight" superhero films probably best-positioned to win Oscars on their own merits - that I've seen - were probably Logan and The Dark Knight. But TDK came too early in the superhero boom to be taken seriously (see the good analysis above) and Logan probably didn't have the profile. Note that I haven't seen Joker (or Shazam).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Predominantly the Oscars favour straight dramas which attempt to tackle deeper themes and are usually put forth by auteur film-makers with distinct styles rather than expensive blockbusters
    Or to put it more bluntly, they prefer movies that are pretentious
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Birdman won Best Picture. And while that wasn't a traditional superhero film, it also wasn't not a superhero film.
    I’d argue that one. Birdman is definitely not a superhero film. It’s a troubled artist film. Academy loves those, even when the message presented bares little to nothing similar to the events they’re trying to represent (Looking at you Bohemian Rhapsody).

Birdman just makes the main characters backstory is an actor who played a superhero in much the same way that Bojack Horseman isn’t a children’s sitcom despite that aspect being important to the characters.

Anyway, as to what movies and award ceremonies, I honestly still a bit confused why people follow them at all to be honest. The Searchers, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, and Psycho did not win anything. While Crash and freaking Shakespeare in Love did.

In much the same way that the original Sherlock Holmes books and Heart of Darkness were often snubbed during their time.

Really the vote is done by a bunch of people (often actors) trying to think what they believe will be influential and important. Sometimes they may get it right. But I wouldn’t set my watch to it.