New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Matron Mother Racial Slur Do'Urden [Spoilers for the Compaion Codex]

I'm listening to Rise of the King and some of the surrounding Drizzt novels via audio book, and while I'm enjoying the story quite a bit something has struck me as rather odd.

I understand why Matron Mother Yvonelle would name Dalia "Matron Mother Darthine" but why wouldn't that raise eyebrows for any of the surface dwellers who have the slightest understanding of Drow society, particularly Drizzt? So, the whole plan is to ruin Drizzt's good name (well not the whole plan, but still) by conducting all of these actions in the name of House Do'Urden, but you openly degrade the figurehead for this movement?

And when Drizzt is told about how the armies are marching under the banner of House Do'Urden and Matron Mother Darthine, his only reaction is "House Do'Urdden was destroyed" (and then he goes and has a 20 minute brooding/waffle session in his journal, those are getting old quick) but not "Gee, that's a very odd name for a Matron Mother..."

I'm not saying he should immediately tumble to it being Dalia. I'm sure that revelation will be interesting to listen to, but come on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Matron Mother Racial Slur Do'Urden [Spoilers for the Compaion Codex]

well, for one Drow society being needlessly cruel for no reason is....pretty much on par for Drow society. so its like "oh they did that cruel thing? huh, just another day in drow society".

2. why care about the machinations of a society you left behind? its something you LEFT. BEHIND. he is where he is because he didn't LIKE any of their nonsense, so why care about it if he hears it happening? the Do'Urden name as a house name means about as much to the guy as dirt. I would be surprised if Drizzt's reaction would be "oh the Drow are trying to lure me back by pathetically denigrating the name of the house that was populated by my abusers and slavedrivers? whatever shall I do, I guess I'll just keep on adventuring and ignore them and not fall for their pathetic excuse for bait. Unless they're somehow planning on raising Zaknafein again to screw with me, they got nothing. and even then all my friends have died come back now so its like, I'm numb to the loved ones being used as tools thing now, my wife died and came back to life drow have nothing on me anymore"
    (well he'd say that if he was written well. by the usual introspection complaint I gather he is being written the same way as he always has: an overthinking awkward hunter socially incompetent outside of being an adventurer)
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".